• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

The basic point is good but the idea that there are huge numbers of people who would be buying comics if not for the direct market is still flawed. The reason that award winning novelists like Duane Swierczynski want to write comics is that, aside from blockbusters, comics sell better than books and they can make more money. I remember Kurt Busiek saying that many small publishers have asked him about writing books because 20K units would be huge for them.

Zombine

Banned
Just dropped a bunch of OHC's and omnibus collections on my foot and one made blood spurt out of my leg. Fuck yeah Mark Millar.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Does anybody know what's up with the Southern Bastards release schedule? It really sucks.

You're welcome.

<3

There was a two or three month delay between the last two issues of the previous arc. It's on regular hiatus now after finishing that arc. Due back in November. Hopefully they have the bugs worked out now.

Does anybody know what's up with the Southern Bastards release schedule? It really sucks.

<3

New arc in November I think man. I think it is planned this way btw similar to saga. Do an arc, take a few.months to get some stuff in the can and get the trade out and go again.

Whereas I think the goddamned is legit delayed hahah edit: ah right, bastards got choked up too?

Just dropped a bunch of OHC's and omnibus collections on my foot and one made blood spurt out of my leg. Fuck yeah Mark Millar.

Wtf. Are you still alive right now?

VanWinkle

The Omega Men is SO good. Wow. Just from reading the first few issues of Batman, I had no idea King was such a great writer and storyteller. I'm only a couple of issues in, but MAN.

Boogiepop

That cartoon reprint thing they do these days is fucking inane btw. Like, my kid literally watches those episodes on television. So then I buy him a comic and it's the same thing panel for panel? Where, as a business you want kids to buy in on all media, does this make sense. It's the dumbest (and laziest) move I've seen in a long while.

I'm not 100% familiar with these things, but I'm guessing I know what you're talking about at least roughly. And I believe the idea is ultimately that it's super cheap and easy to produce such "content" to sucker kids who don't know any better. Assuming it's what I'm thinking, I'd imagine it's similar to the stuff that sold itself as "animanga". And you really, really don't want to purchase anything that tries to sell itself as "animanga".

I'm not 100% familiar with these things, but I'm guessing I know what you're talking about at least roughly. And I believe the idea is ultimately that it's super cheap and easy to produce such "content" to sucker kids who don't know any better. Assuming it's what I'm thinking, I'd imagine it's similar to the stuff that sold itself as "animanga". And you really, really don't want to purchase anything that tries to sell itself as "animanga".

Haha well I'm not sure about animanga man, but it sounds about right. The kids books they do right now is literally just scenes from an episode of the disney xd cartoons, put on the page in panel layout, not redrawn or anything, it's literally a still from the tv ha. Then a dude transcribes the cartoon script onto it. It's literally ridiculous because my kid is enthusiastic so of course he watches the cartoon, which of course makes those comics useless to him haha.

I believe you for sure though, it looks cheap as hell haha

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The Omega Men is SO good. Wow. Just from reading the first few issues of Batman, I had no idea King was such a great writer and storyteller. I'm only a couple of issues in, but MAN.

Unfortunately, Batman is his worst book. I thought he would nail it, and I do think that it's trending upwards, but all of his other work is leaps and bounds better.

Sandfox

Haha well I'm not sure about animanga man, but it sounds about right. The kids books they do right now is literally just scenes from an episode of the disney xd cartoons, put on the panel in panel layout. Then a dude transcribes the cartoon script onto it. It's literally ridiculous because my kid is enthusiastic so of course he watches the cartoon, which of course makes those comics useless to him haha.

Depending on how old the kid is I would just buy them some of Marvel's all-age main line stuff over those.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
glad everyone is posting manga suggestions, been kind of in the mood to dip a toe in lately

how does My Hero Academia read volume-by-volume? i feel like shounen style stories lend themselves to being read that way vs. being collected in one go.

how much DC cosmic are you familiar with?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

That's what Eric Stephenson is always talking about in his big speeches. The big 2 don't do anything to bring in new readers. They just try to squeeze as much as they possibly can out of the existing fanbase.

Depending on how old the kid is I would just buy them some of Marvel's all-age main line stuff over those.

Well he's 8 now man. The last year or so it's been a real trial because that stuff is trash but now his reading competency is really decent, I am starting to look at stuff and I'm just going to cherry pick things like the spidey book, and friendly stuff as you say. Before it was just too much text no matter how friendly it was, but much easier problem to solve now. I don't think he's old enough for old man logan or anything hahah,but even stuff like squirrel girl or the skottie young rocket series.

I still think it's really uncool and unfair though, they should have more stuff out there. Things like the itty bitty hellboy or lil gotham, that stuff matched him really well.

Sandfox

Well he's 8 now man. The last year or so it's been a real trial because that stuff is trash but now his reading competency is really decent, I am starting to look at stuff and I'm just going to cherry pick things like the spidey book, and friendly stuff as you say. Before it was just too much text no matter how friendly it was, but much easier problem to solve now. I don't think he's read for old man logan or anything hahah,but even stuff like squirrel girl or the skottie young rocket series.

I still think it's really uncool and unfair though, they should have more stuff out there. Things like the itty bitty hellboy or lil gotham, that stuff matched him really well.

Have you tried Spidey?

Sandfox

Not yet! It looks good though for both of us to be honest haha.

Spidey won't disappoint. That book and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur are my favorite of "kid" books. Outside of those and the things you mentioned, you would probably be better off looking through the offerings of smaller publishers.

Spidey won't disappoint. That book and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur are my favorite of "kid" books. Outside of those and the things you mentioned, you would probably be better off looking through the offerings of smaller publishers.

Cheers man, I'll take a note of moon girl I'd forgot about that actually. Again, I might want to give that a read as well haha. I'm hoping I can get this stuff into his system, and start him off hopefully on comics into the future, even better if it's books we can literally enjoy together.

Jesus, can we get the old CBR site back? The new one is garbage.

Haha newarama didn't think so! Have you been on their redesign yet?

Sandfox

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Earth One books, but don't know which to go with.

EDIT:

I like the new Newsarama site more than the new CBR site.

I remember when Waid gave a Ted talk on how motion comics were gonna be the next big thing.
I'm thinking about picking up one of the Earth One books, but don't know which to go with.

EDIT:

Just get Batman and Wonder Woman.

EDIT:

Wonder Woman is the best Earth One book, but it includes Morrison exploring the S&M roots of the character which some don't like. If you're not interested in that, I'd recommend Batman by Johns and Frank.

VanWinkle

EDIT:

Batman Earth One Vol 1 and especially 2 are incredible. I mean, Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, come on.

Boogiepop

Haha well I'm not sure about animanga man, but it sounds about right. The kids books they do right now is literally just scenes from an episode of the disney xd cartoons, put on the page in panel layout, not redrawn or anything, it's literally a still from the tv ha. Then a dude transcribes the cartoon script onto it. It's literally ridiculous because my kid is enthusiastic so of course he watches the cartoon, which of course makes those comics useless to him haha.

Yeah, it's the exact same sort of thing. Not sure if the ones I'm talking about are still around, but it was the same thing done to anime, and even my younger self (who had found such questionable things as novelizations of Pokemon episodes acceptable) found that stuff disappointing. Hope you can find some good stuff for your kid, as saying "oh, well it's for kids, so it's fine" really doesn't excuse lazy products like that!

tim1138

I'm pretty disappointed in the Omega Men trade to be honest. I have all the issues digitally and only bought the trade because they were pimping it on social media as having a bunch of bonus content, there's a few extras but hardly worth double dipping over.

Sandfox

I'm pretty disappointed in the Omega Men trade to be honest. I have all the issues digitally and only bought the trade because they were pimping it on social media as having a bunch of bonus content, there's a few extras but hardly worth double dipping over.

Just wait for the Noir version.

Pulled the trigger on my CMX code. Since there was no current sale that enticed me I went with comics or trades that never seem to go on sale. Also manga that doesn't get much cheaper when it goes on sale.

So I picked up things like Sam & Max trade, We can never go home, 4 kids walk into a bank, jojo manga, etc

VanWinkle

Oh yeah, I RARELY think trades are worth buying if you have the single issues. They hardly ever have many extras. Now, if they do a deluxe edition, I expect there to be extras. Kind of dumb for them to say there were a bunch in here, though.

Malyse

CA_Supermovies_6-3-20161.jpg

What are you gonna go see?

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm pretty sure they're still going ahead with that Venom movie.

I'll see all of them eventually. Some sooner than others. Some out of morbid curiosity and others out of hype. And I can't wait until Incredibles 2.

Hagi

What are you gonna go see?

Norman-leon-35112912-245-150.gif

seriously though I will probably see everything but Power Rangers and The Valiant Cinematic Universe. Next year is fucking stacked holy shit. Lego Batman is a great way to start off the year and will undoubtedly be the best DC film of that year.

Top Bottom