• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I dont really blame King for that, thats just how the main Batman book is made. I think it was around Loeb/Lee's Hush that solidfied "Batman" as the big superhero blockbuster book while Detective Comics were the smaller street level stuff. It requires huge threats, high concepts, big spectacle. Even early Morrison Batman is a lot like that, outside the excellent JH Williams III murder mystery. Although I do like the Andy Kubert drawn issues quite a bit, I wouldn't hold his run in some high esteem if the Batman & Robin/Batman Inc parts didn't exist, where they could break out of that aesthetic and that mode. Frank Quitely, Chris Burnham, Yanick Paquette, Frazier Irving, Cameron Stewart...those guys don't belong on the main Batman book. Only the established 90s style of Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, Tony Daniel, Greg Capullo, David Finch...

King is just doing his job of what people want on the Batman title.

VanWinkle

I dont really blame King for that, thats just how the main Batman book is made. I think it was around Loeb/Lee's Hush that solidfied "Batman" as the big superhero blockbuster book while Detective Comics were the smaller street level stuff. It requires huge threats, high concepts, big spectacle. Even early Morrison Batman is a lot like that, outside the excellent JH Williams III murder mystery. Although I do like the Andy Kubert drawn issues quite a bit, I wouldn't hold his run in some high esteem if the Batman & Robin/Batman Inc parts didn't exist, where they could break out of that aesthetic and that mode. Frank Quitely, Chris Burnham, Yanick Paquette, Frazier Irving, Cameron Stewart...those guys don't belong on the main Batman book. Only the established 90s style of Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, Tony Daniel, Greg Capullo, David Finch...

King is just doing his job of what people want on the Batman title.

Greg Capullo's art looks nothing like Lee, Kubert, Daniel, and Finch art, who all share some similar design philosophies. I wouldn't call his style "established 90s" just because he had a big presence in 90s Image. I also wouldn't call Mikel Janin, who is doing the alternating art with Finch, an established 90s artist.

I think King is struggling with the pace of Batman because of the nature of the storytelling. If you listen to his interview on iFanboy, he's big on the nine-panel grid, and that level of density on the page. Finch is big and splashy. King hasn't done that before.

Bachalo should draw Batman.

IpziZkE.jpg

VanWinkle

Going to watch The Dark Knight now. Haven't watched it in probably six years, way before I actually started reading comics. Pretty excited. I watched Batman Begins about six months ago and LOVED it (watched it before, but, again, long before I became an actual comic book fan).

They would fire my ass if I was running Batman. I would do some BND Amazing Spider-Man shit. At least twice a month, mostly short sharp 3-issue story arcs, lot of artistic talent that breaks out of the mold(Marcos Martin, Chris Bachalo, John Romita Jr, Paolo Rivera, Eric Canete, Emma Rios, all dem niggas), subplots coming back, maybe have one BIG story every year but its not standard operating procedure. Just take advantage of the fact people gon buy this book anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They would fire my ass if I was running Batman. I would do some BND Amazing Spider-Man shit. At least twice a month, mostly short sharp 3-issue story arcs, lot of artistic talent that breaks out of the mold(Marcos Martin, Chris Bachalo, John Romita Jr, Paolo Rivera, Eric Canete, Emma Rios, all dem niggas), subplots coming back, maybe have one BIG story every year but its not standard operating procedure. Just take advantage of the fact people gon buy this book anyway.

Everytime you stark talking about that period I remember what an fucking amazing time that was.

Didio: "Alright JC let's see what you got."

fQXSyuq.gif

I'm ok with the
Piotr part more than the Apocalypse part. I'm OK with Colossus going missing and being found by some cult, but the Apocalypse part just seems dumb. He was a no-show until the very end and then he just gets brought back and he's going to be protected and kept around because of Piotr now missing? Come on... I really don't like that part at all.

Yeah it's quite a stretch. Low point for the book, in my opinion.

I did enjoy most of the arc despite this but Lemire really needed to
integrate Apocalypse into the story more cleanly, use him more effectively, and justify where we ended up with the character, which they didn't do at all.
I guess that's why I was surprised this was the end of the story, I thought we were getting that...and I'm sure we still will, at least to some degree, but this arc doesn't get brownie points because the next arc cleans up the mess.
It's because it doesn't make sense.
The X-Men have cured Horseman before, so it makes little to no sense that they can't cure Piotr. Especially since, according to the ending, he's not even Death, but in fact War. That means they don't even need to go through the whole Life Seed business that they did with Warren way back when. Keeping Apocalypse alive was a dumb move, especially when it currently makes no sense that he's alive to begin with. Unless Evan eventually turns which is a far more interesting story that ANXM has dropped the ball on. Kurt attempting to kill Apocalypse didn't really mean anything in the end.

It sucks that the arc ended that way because it was a pretty fucking great arc.

It's because it doesn't make sense.
The X-Men have cured Horseman before, so it makes little to no sense that they can't cure Piotr. Especially since, according to the ending, he's not even Death, but in fact War. That means they don't even need to go through the whole Life Seed business that they did with Warren way back when. Keeping Apocalypse alive was a dumb move, especially when it currently makes no sense that he's alive to begin with. Unless Evan eventually turns which is a far more interesting story that ANXM has dropped the ball on. Kurt attempting to kill Apocalypse didn't really mean anything in the end.

It sucks that the arc ended that way because it was a pretty fucking great arc.

And nothing happens
with allllll those mutants...

Unless I missed something to get them out of what happened with them. Or until they want to bring it back up down the road.

stn

What are the best Spiderman graphic novels? I've barely read anything from the character. Anything that's more dark and gritty and less humorous?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, the service just hit around the time I stopped reading marvel to unlimited wait read.

Being six months behind sucks, but it definitely is cheaper.

The UI is a lot better than it used to be. I still have to hard close it sometimes when it gets stuck loading a page, but it's better than before too. Definitely worth the money, but I'm still buying somethings that I want to support monthly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Death of X rtist Aaron Kuder is Marvel exclusive. Is this becoming a thing now?

Anything good out there for someone on a Castlevania kick? I know IDW had an actual Castlevania mini, but I'd rather check out a cool creator-owned book with a similar vibe before I resort to a licensed video game comic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anything good out there for someone on a Castlevania kick? I know IDW had an actual Castlevania mini, but I'd rather check out a cool creator-owned book with a similar vibe before I resort to a licensed video game comic.

i'd love a Castlevania esque haunted house style book

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What is a creator owned book? A miserable pile of writings.
Have at you!

Valiant making a deck building card game seems weird. Weren't satisfied with one over populated market?

Apoc had them all destroyed in front of Kurt, so they're all dead.

Yeah, I more meant there was no obvious out for them to exploit if need be. Just seems like a dumb tease because of what happens.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love if they would rerelease Super Castlevania or Rondo of Blood.
I cant stand Symphony of the Night. Only good thing is the quote of Dracula in the beginning.

Zombine

Banned
Freaking dense Walking Dead issue. Glad they learned from All Out War. Seems like this will be more substance over rushed set pieces. Won't know for sure until it ends though.

I would love if they would rerelease Super Castlevania or Rondo of Blood.
I cant stand Symphony of the Night. Only good thing is the quote of Dracula in the beginning.
The ones I'm a big fan of are Castlevania, Dracula's Curse, and Rondo of Blood.

Super Castlevania IV isn't a terrible game, but I don't think it compares well to those others I listed.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Freaking dense Walking Dead issue. Glad they learned from All Out War. Seems like this will be more substance over rushed set pieces. Won't know for sure until it ends though.

havent read anything from this week yet

excited for whisperer war

frye

There's an issue of New 52 Superman that Kuder drew (and Lobdell wrote lol) that's just him and Orion punching each other for 20 pages and it's easily the best Superman comic since All Star.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The ones I'm a big fan of are Castlevania, Dracula's Curse, and Rondo of Blood.

Super Castlevania IV isn't a terrible game, but I don't think it compares well to those others I listed.
Havent played any of them, but James Rolfes reviews on them look amazing but. IV is just to expensive at this point.
But together with Super Metroid, Castlevania is the main reason I want a SNES device similar to the upcoming NES one.

Top Bottom