• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Dusknoir

I just don't get that mentality by Marvel and DC. Who cares how much the actual comics are selling? They're idea farms for all the movies and toys and video games and apps and school supplies and everything else.

The big two wouldn't care but indies are hurt by this.

ElNarez

Banned

And yet, they won't do anything about Diamond, despite the fact their ass-backwards distribution model is directly to blame for this. Putting new faces in your books is all well and good, but there's no way you're gonna convince the people you want to reach to commit to a pull list or to pre-order books sight unseen weeks in advance. I don't do it, and I'm a hipster weirdo who's commited to being about that life.

I mean, at the very least, decisions like that new Apollo and Midnighter mini shows an acknowledgement of the fact there's more to comics than the direct market, but you're gonna have to do way more if, as you claim, sustainability is your aim.

VanWinkle

DC was against all marriages; not specifically gay marriage. This quote almost crosses over into defamation territory.

Yeah I want to know if DC literally had a problem depicting gay marriage or just marriage in general during that timeframe. Did any straight couples get married during N52?

DC was against all marriages; not specifically gay marriage. This quote almost crosses over into defamation territory.

If the "no to any marriage" stance was precipitated and/or solidified after the last minute editorial decision to stop the Batwoman marriage, is there any practical difference?

If the "no to any marriage" stance was precipitated and/or solidified after the last minute editorial decision to stop the Batwoman marriage, is there any practical difference?

We don't know but what we do know is that prior to all that happening no other character in the New 52 was married. Most were just dating which Kate was at the time.

VanWinkle

Is there reason to think that their decision for the DC universe as a whole was solidified after their decision to stop the Batwoman marriage?

Is there reason to think that their decision for the DC universe as a whole was solidified after their decision to stop the Batwoman marriage?

oh, no, at the time it was an actual thing. They were trying to appeal to a younger fanbase and wanted all their heroes to be young and hip and not tied down by a spouse. Despite a large part of their real life audience not being young or hip and being married.

Definitely speculation here.

If editorial let it get to the point where the creative team didn't know till the last minute that they couldn't have the marriage in the issue (which caused them to quit, btw) I am assuming there was no widely known rule before that.

Jesus Christ I just realized I'm a regular in this thread again. Might as well the L and subscribe.
5c17ve5.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
oh, no, at the time it was an actual thing. They were trying to appeal to a younger fanbase and wanted all their heroes to be young and hip and not tied down by a spouse. Despite a large part of their real life audience not being young or hip and being married.
I love when these people dont realize that their crowd are ass old people and make stupid changes to their characters

I love when these people dont realize that their crowd are ass old people and make stupid changes to their characters

There's nothing wrong with trying to capture a new audience, but the problems arise when you make the attempt at the potential cost of alienating your core audience.

I was going to read the new Batman and Doctor Strange, but apparently some friends are getting drunk and watching Conan the Barbarian, so fuck you, comics.

Anything about the relaunch that didn’t go as well as you’d hoped?
Lee: Not really. Nothing springs to mind as being problematic.

DiDio: One of the things that’s strange is we were planning #1s through September and possibly into October, but the relaunch was so strong at the beginning that we actually delayed some of the later books into next year to give them more time to spend, to build them creatively, but also we didn’t feel the urgency. We wanted to make sure we didn’t overwhelm the fan base right from the start with so many titles that we decided to delay some of the material. So we made slight adjustment on our schedule so books like Justice League America and Super Sons that we announced for later this year are moving into 2017.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35161/icv2-interview-jim-lee-dan-didio-san-diego-comic-con-part-1

Odds on these books never coming out? I'd say they're decent right now.

What book is that Batman/Catwoman page from?

Batman/Superman Vol 1: CrossWorld

Messi

I have a free digital comic of a book that was released today for the first person who can tell me who America Chavez girlfriend is.

Top Bottom