• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Bored

Might buy that Telltale Batman game

I streamed it last night. Really enjoyed it, it's a bit too early in the timeline IMO but it's very enjoyable. I got a game-breaking bug in the Batcave but otherwise it ran fine for me (i7 4790K, 8GB RAM, Windforce GTX 970, also played it off my SSD).

What are the best Spiderman graphic novels? I've barely read anything from the character. Anything that's more dark and gritty and less humorous?

Dark and gritty Spider-Man?

latest

I mean, what can go wrong, right? =)

need to find that Kuder Superman/Orion issue, it sounds up my alley. The Lobdell Superman runs getting DBZ comparisons kinda make me interested in grabbing them in a digital sale
Sadly knowing Marvel he'll probably be stuck in the X books/events until the next relaunch/year.

I'd kinda like to see that if the books became worth reading at all

need to find that Kuder Superman/Orion issue, it sounds up my alley. The Lobdell Superman runs getting DBZ comparisons kinda make me interested in grabbing them in a digital sale

I'd kinda like to see that if the books became worth reading at all
Superman #20 I think.

Havent played any of them, but James Rolfes reviews on them look amazing but. IV is just to expensive at this point.
But together with Super Metroid, Castlevania is the main reason I want a SNES device similar to the upcoming NES one.
With Castlevania and Dracula's Curse, they're these really precise games where you die all the time, and you learn more with each death. By the end, you understand how everything in the game works in very specific detail, and you've improved dramatically at developing strategies and executing them. They're very challenging, demanding, and rewarding.

IV is a much looser, sloppier game. You can run around pretty recklessly without being punished much or expected to think about things and understand them to progress, so it just feels thoughtless and unengaging by the standards set by those earlier games. The enemies and specific rooms don't stick in your head as well because you basically just walk right through them. And because the game doesn't push back hard enough to require that you develop strategies and improve, there's no sense of accomplishment in completing it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow was always my favorite.

There was a run of absolutely great games on Game Boy Advance. They didn't quite keep it going on DS, but Dawn of Sorrow was good (terrible art style change aside).

It would probably be a Dark Horse book, so probably like Simone and some average ass art that makes Valiant look like Eisner-nominated level Sammee.
IDW put one out, based on the first Game Boy game (which was not good), and it was written by Marc Andreyko and drawn by someone I haven't heard of.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Havent played any of them, but James Rolfes reviews on them look amazing but. IV is just to expensive at this point.
But together with Super Metroid, Castlevania is the main reason I want a SNES device similar to the upcoming NES one.

Super Metroid would be cool. Also Secret of Mana.

Owzers

VanWinkle

Finished watching The Dark Knight. Man what a fantastic movie. I enjoyed BvS but watching this made me realize how many missteps it took. It was more about the comic book characters just having these cool looking scenes and less about making it a good movie. TDK really succeeded in that respect. And MAN, Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker was astonishingly good.

Just picked up the new Brubaker, super excited to get into that.

Do we have any idea of the line up Gerard Way's Doom Patrol? Rereading Morrison's run at the mo, still amazing.

Cave Carson and Mother Panic arent out until mid October too. Feel like I've been waiting for these Young Animal titles for ages now.

Finished watching The Dark Knight. Man what a fantastic movie. I enjoyed BvS but watching this made me realize how many missteps it took. It was more about the comic book characters just having these cool looking scenes and less about making it a good movie. TDK really succeeded in that respect. And MAN, Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker was astonishingly good.
That's a very rewatchable movie. Sometimes if I've seen a movie a few times, it might take me two sittings to go through it again, but I'm always glued to the screen with The Dark Knight. And Nolan's practical effects hold up so much better than the more CG-heavy stuff. It's scary how fast movies age when they lean too hard on CG effects.

Messi

Batman #4 was dope, sorry haters. Now it's a fucking Tom King book, with the twists and the cruelty you want. He had to set it up so it could knock it down, you dopes, and this is where it goes downhill to the fireworks factory.

Happy it has gotten better. Could do without the insults.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Here's an interesting write up from Vanity Fair about the history of Harly Quinn.

And because Sorkin, Dini, and Timm did such a fantastic job, Harley became a fixture of the series—though she was also immediately problematic. The Joker was abusive to lovesick Harley from the jump, and keeping them together meant trapping her in a cycle of domestic abuse. This isn’t something that becomes apparent by viewing the series through a modern eye; the series itself made the dysfunction of their relationship obvious.

Though Harley was originally created to be one of the Joker’s flashiest accessories, she soon stepped out of his shadow, graduating from episodes that had the word “Joker” in them to ones bearing her own name. The first, “Harley and Ivy,” saw Quinn teaming up with someone who would become one of her most lasting companions: Poison Ivy. The episode allowed Dini to comment on the dysfunctional Joker/Harley relationship and lay the groundwork for a whole new one. Fast-forward to 2015, and Harley’s current writers—Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner—had confirmed via the official DC Comics Twitter account that Harley and Ivy were polygamous girlfriends. That’s a bold move from a company that, in 2013, took a firm stance against gay marriage, which did not go over very well.

More at the link.

Who needs Batman? He should draw Catwoman.

Agreed.

I also recommend Insexts. It's got nice boobs.

I tried that book for four issues or so. It was unique, but I ended up not sticking with it. The art was pretty appalling at one point.

Death of X rtist Aaron Kuder is Marvel exclusive. Is this becoming a thing now?

Joelle Jones is also a DC exclusive.

Dat artistic arms race.

Anyone read the new Lady Killer yet? Need that Joelle Jones art in my life right now.

I held off on buying it until I read the first trade. I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow, but I just got my Rachel Rising Black Edition in the mail, so I'd like to get into that, too. But all of that comes after I finish the final Hellboy library edition. But then I have to read Hellboy in Hell....so, we'll see.

Lemme just ctrl F and replace the names of the characters in this Batman script, editors will handle the rest.
Funny enough one of spideys most highly regarded stories, Kravens Last Hunt, started life as a Wonder Man comic. That didn't get approved so he made it about Batman and the Joker going sane. That didn't get approved so he changed it into dr Hugo strange. That got shot down too so he said fuck it and pitched it to Marvel as a Spider-Man story.

Funny enough one of spideys most highly regarded stories, Kravens Last Hunt, started life as a Wonder Man comic. That didn't get approved so he made it about Batman and the Joker going sane. That didn't get approved so he changed it into dr Hugo strange. That got shot down too so he said fuck it and pitched it to Marvel as a Spider-Man story.

Marvel taking DC's sloppy seconds.

frye

the thing that I could never get over about Harley Quinn in the comics is the incongruity of the character I remember from the cartoons being put next to the Joker in the comics, who becomes more and more of an absurd caricature of himself with every subsequent appearance as writers try to one-up previous depictions of him (for reference, one of the first Batman comics I read had him toss a baby at Jim Gordon's wife before murdering her)

Top Bottom