• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Listening to a podcast chronicling the early days of the comics code authority and I am completely surprised Comics lasted through it. Stuff like showing someone locking a window being not allowed because it is showing someone how to break in through a window just sounds insane. People committing crimes can't profit or be considered advantageous because it could encourage kids to commit crimes, no use of the word Horror or Terror?

Just seems crazy. They also kind of equate seduction and lust with rape. Man this shit was weird.

New Snyder teaser. This time concept art for #4 with the caption "Wheel of Villains. Play your coin...":
CpBc50YWcAAsKhO

Arkanius

Just a follow up:

My copy of the Long Halloween in Black and White arrived.
Sublime, loving it so far. I decided to look up some pages in color and... I really think I prefer it on B&W. Something about the old line arts mixed with muted colors gives me an off look. It feels much more aesthetic this way for me. But it's probably my bias due being used to Manga.

Zeroth

Masacre from Deadpool is a great character if only for the bilingual bonus. It's the little things, like him exposing how Madcap was involved in Solo's mission, only for one panel later Deadpool say the same and accuse the mercs of being stupid for not catching on it.

MG310

Anyone pick up the Timm or Conner Wonder Woman statues yet?

Gamestop had the Chiang one for 40 so I grabbed that and took a chance of the Femme Fatales animated Ivy for 15.

Gamestop also has the Dini concept Harley for 30 now.

Messi

Anyone pick up the Timm or Conner Wonder Woman statues yet?

Gamestop had the Chiang one for 40 so I grabbed that and took a chance of the Femme Fatales animated Ivy for 15.

Gamestop also has the Dini concept Harley for 30 now.

I have all of them. Timms Wonder Woman is stunning.

frye

Kill or Be Killed #1 swerved me a couple of times because i had no idea what the premise was before reading it and i'm still not sure where it's gonna go. It's pretty good though

yeah, I didn't know what to expect either (other than the basic vigilante premise) but i liked it a lot

re: Batman

setting aside the art, my problem is from the first issue you kinda know where he's going, it's all about how Batman Is Special and how Not Everyone Has What It Takes To Do This Job blah blah blah who fuckin cares man

I thought Assault on Arkham was pretty good honestly. I basically just wanted a live action version of it with a better mcguffin.

Harley/Deadshot shouldn't have happened though.

This.

Plus the premisse should be that animals got sentience and speech capabilities.

But half of them started to act like humans, not talking animals. It should not change their behaviour. Exemples include the polar bear (why he should be ashames from eating seals?), the chickens and rooster (that they would not suppport that kind of abuse/dominance animore), and so on... Only the tiger acted like a tiger, with a tiger mentality. And, of course, the hound.

J90N9xU.png

Okay. It seems clear to me that the book is meant to subvert expectations. Note your use of the word "should" here, as though any story in which animals gain human-level intelligence and the capability to speak should be a certain way (in fact you say that the premise should be a specific thing when it's clearly meant to be something else). But the concept is fundamentally silly so there is a lot of room to play in outside of what we've come to expect of talking animals in Disney movies. How does a tiger or a dog even speak without the proper anatomical properties to produce those sounds? Why don't their skulls enlarge to allow room for a larger brain with the capability of higher thought? It doesn't make sense...so in a setting where they do have higher intelligence and can speak, doesn't the author have license to experiment with different interpretations far afield from stereotyped expectations? This isn't Zootopia.

Let's go beyond the bear. Why would a lizard give a shit that its keeper is being cheated on? Why would pandas experience an existential crisis questioning their very existence? For that matter, why would a tiger, an apex predator, spend the calories to carry out a petty act of revenge against a perfect stranger (indeed, I'd argue that the only animal that truly acts as you would normally and reasonably expect it to in these circumstances is Sandor)? This is a very human indulgence and a very human act. Are you more willing to accept the tiger's behavior, perhaps, because it mirrors the behavior of the talking tigers we are familiar with in fiction?

The fact is, with the exception of Sandor, none of these animals behave in a "natural" way because what has happened to them is supernatural. We can't know how a polar bear would adapt to the sudden development of a rational mind because that isn't actually a thing that can happen in the real world. Those three pages of spreads near the top of the book are critical in establishing the true premise of the story, as not one of the featured animals acts in a way that is logically consistent with animal behavior, and some even seem immediately aware of the function of human creations (the cars, the bolt gun) or their status in the world (the pandas, the sloths). I think one of the things Bennett is trying to accomplish with this book is to make a point about how stereotypes function in human society...how dangerous they can be. I expect this to be further developed as the book goes on, and I think we'll see it with Sandor, too. One of his traits that makes him a ready protagonist is that he is a "good dog." Should he always have to be a good dog for us to stay on his side...for us to accept him? Why? The final page feels like a promise destined to be broken: the bonds of these characters will be tested and eventually, something is going to happen in that relationship that causes Sandor to act in a manner we wouldn't expect from a "good" dog.

The book is meant to challenge our beliefs of how a "proper" hyperintelligent polar bear, or lizard, or rat, would act. I think it would be lazy and uninspired if all of these animals acted in a way that is consistent with our anthropomorphized expectations.

Messi

Jesus I just read the first issue of Sheriff of Babylon. That was rough.
The woman in the cafe :(
. It has a realness that only a former CIA Seal could give it.

Messi

Got Assault on Arkham today in the mail. Cant wait to see it.
Is the original Harley Quinn voice actor involved here?

Neither main Harley voice actors (Arleen Sorkin or Tara Strong) are involved. Harley sounds bad in this movie. Yahtzee ! I say this as someone who likes the movie.

I think i want that one.

Can you take a picture of your statue?

It's in Ireland. I will get you a pic when I get home

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus I just read the first issue of Sheriff of Babylon. That was rough.
The woman in the cafe :(
. It has a realness that only a former CIA Seal could give it.

For those of you on the fence, here's an article from Vulture about Sheriff of Babylon, as told by an Iraq War veteran.

What I’ve been looking for since I left the Army six or so years ago is a story about the war that provides both granular accuracy and a bird’s-eye perspective normally unavailable to me, an American who is confined in many ways to an American perspective, even (especially?) as a soldier. Iraq is, after all, more than just the name of a region where American military ambitions are exercised and foiled. Iraqi people were part of the war, too, and just as American history doesn’t begin with 9/11, the contemporary history of Iraq doesn’t begin as a blank slate with the American invasion. I always desired a story that would acknowledge and defy these artificial parameters in order to convey the complexity of the American invasion of Iraq. In essence, I was searching for an Iraq War version of War and Peace. I did not expect to find it in a comic book.

“I worked the Iraq issue from the States, from abroad, and from Baghdad itself,” King told me during a phone interview. “I don’t have simple thoughts about it. I don’t think, ‘Oh, it was a good thing’ or ‘Oh, it was a bad thing.' I know Saddam was a horrible person and it’s better that he’s gone. I also know that what came after was worse than what had happened before. But those thoughts don’t seem to add up to a cogent whole. I knew I wanted to write about that — how you could have two conflicting thoughts in your head at once. That’s a lot of what Sheriff is about: the idea of the invasion not being a good thing or a bad thing but a thing my entire generation had to go through.”

Owzers

Neither main Harley voice actors (Arleen Sorkin or Tara Strong) are involved. Harley sounds bad in this movie. Yahtzee ! I say this as someone who likes the movie.

It's in Ireland. I will get you a pic when I get home

Thanks.

Also, dcbs canceled issue #12 of Doctor Strange from all orders because it is being put up as Now Doctor Strange or whatever in the August pre-order cycle, i save $2.39 yayyyyyyyy.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
J90N9xU.png

Okay. It seems clear to me that the book is meant to subvert expectations. Note your use of the word "should" here, as though any story in which animals gain human-level intelligence and the capability to speak should be a certain way (in fact you say that the premise should be a specific thing when it's clearly meant to be something else). But the concept is fundamentally silly so there is a lot of room to play in outside of what we've come to expect of talking animals in Disney movies. How does a tiger or a dog even speak without the proper anatomical properties to produce those sounds? Why don't their skulls enlarge to allow room for a larger brain with the capability of higher thought? It doesn't make sense...so in a setting where they do have higher intelligence and can speak, doesn't the author have license to experiment with different interpretations far afield from stereotyped expectations? This isn't Zootopia.

I agree with Echo. While a BKV story would definitely end with a twist that upends what we thought the premise was, that doesn't mean that this story has to. I also agree, that the fact that not all of the animals revolted against their humans is telling that this isn't as simple as a humans v the animals that they've tormented story. Even
the cow wasn't angry about potentially getting killed, she was just sad and didn't want to go
. I'm definitely sticking with it for a while yet at least.

smisk

Sherrif of Babylon is so ridiculously good.

I read that Tom King Ringer interview and if HBO picks up the show it will be their next GoT, guaranteed.

It really is, probably my favorite book right now other than The Fix. I can almost guarantee it's gonna be a TV show in a few years.

My favorite thing is how well it explores things from the Iraqi perspective, something I haven't seen in other media covering the war.

Fury451

Banned
Well, the new Moon Kinght arc face-planted at the end.

So now I'm only reading one series from Marvel for the first time ever. Any recommendations?

hot takes, get ya hot takes here folks

I think he kind of has a point, King and the author of the article both seem to be arguing that the war was not actually good or bad but definitely necessary, which is a controversial take at best and offensive at worst, considering everything that actually happened, the deception that took place to sell the war, all the people that died, etc.

In any case I need to check out Sheriff of Babylon. I'd like to have another great King book to read...and Batman is still not that book.

I don't know what in this issue warranted the "ho ho ho he sure showed the haters" attitude yesterday morning. Is it simply that...things finally start to happen? That after four issues the plot is finally moving forward? Is that actually sufficient or did I just have an entirely different read on the story? I guess I'm risking being labeled a "hater" here, if I haven't already, but here we go anyway...

This is definitely a stronger issue than the past couple have been, but I still think #1 is the best issue thus far and I still think this has a long ways to go before it could be dubbed a great Batman story. Almost everything that happens here is entirely predictable and, for the most part, completely unexciting.
So, Gotham has gone off the reservation...what a SHOCKING development. This should be completely expected, but at least it happened sooner rather than later so we can get it out of the way. To be fair to King, it isn't meant to be shocking, as the ending of #3 was obviously moving in this direction. But it doesn't really make for an exciting or engaging story, at least not for me.

Batman acts in a way that doesn't really make sense to me, and maybe somebody can explain this. Why does he - not even for a second - suspect that Gotham Girl could be involved in the murder of all those soldiers? He knows what both of these characters are capable of, and they've always been seen working as a team. Soooo...why isn't she a suspect, at all? She's clearly traumatized so at the very least he knows she saw what happened. Yet he brings this Superman-level character to the freakin' Batcave while he hunts down her brother. Even if she isn't involved, what is to stop her, in her unhinged state, from leveling the place? When he discovers Psycho Pirate is involved, shouldn't this set off an alarm bell? At this point her behavior is totally unpredictable, but he doesn't seem to even spare a thought for the danger the characters in the cave are in, or that she could just punch her way out of the cave and uncover his identity. This seems like sloppy characterization.

How did Strange and Psycho Pirate escape Task Force X? I'm not too familiar with Suicide Squad, but aren't there fairly meticulous and deadly safeguards that prevent just this sort of thing from happening? It feels like this is glossed over for the convenience of the plot, and I hope it is revisited (though I doubt it will be). Furthermore, what is the story behind the absurdly obtuse clue in the dog tags that leads Batman to Waller?

Why does it take so long for Gotham to fly back and kill the soldier he left alive (Batman has time to infiltrate Task Force X, interrogate Waller, and then return to the scene, without a car, before Gotham kills the soldier...who, conveniently, just hangs around with all his dead buddies waiting to die, alone, like he doesn't know how to use a fucking radio or a phone to call for help)?

I'm glad I picked this back up and read this issue. It's nice to see things moving forward. But this is still a story in which things are just sort of happening, sometimes in an utterly predictable A to B fashion, sometimes in ways that leave me scratching my head and don't seem to add up. While I definitely enjoyed this issue a lot more than the last two, this is still a book I'm waiting to love. It remains a B-tier story for me.

Top Bottom