• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I am curious how long it will take until Marvel really fucks something up with Kamala. May it be religious or sexual inappropiated.

Kinda afraid of this, because the book is so amazing and likable and I am so happy that they are successful.

G.Willow Wilson is writing it, and she's Muslim. So I don't think there's much danger of that unless Marvel makes a stupid editorial decision somewhere from on high.

I am curious how long it will take until Marvel really fucks something up with Kamala. May it be religious or sexual inappropiated.

Kinda afraid of this, because the book is so amazing and likable and I am so happy that they are successful.

I just always hope for fearless writing and editorial, even if it stumbles eventually (surely inevitable given all the charged issues on the table). Definitely got a sense of that from the latest issue, they are laying out land mines for themselves and getting ready to dance through the field.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
ZDqFCEu.jpg

When I saw WWE in Newcastle years ago, I high fived Hornswoggle

GAMEPROFF

Banned
G.Willow Wilson is writing it, and she's Muslim. So I don't think there's much danger of that unless Marvel makes a stupid editorial decision somewhere from on high.
I have the feeling that if something happens, it may not be in her own book. Something in Champions or in a Event.

Ehhhh. I appreciate what Thompson is trying to do, but I'd much prefer a consistent recall of what actually happened rather than an author dreaming up something entirely different because it is more palatable to her and to fans of the character. Assuming this isn't some sort of dream sequence, it reads like a fanfic reaction. Also, (CWII #4 spoilers)
she wasn't actually "taken out," she's back in action. So really all the fuss and bother over that scene and She-Hulk's status was a whole lot of nothing. She was unavailable to writers for a couple of months, assuming nothing else happens to her down the line.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The best thing that Ms Marvel accomplished is that I now like her brother. Thought he was a way to religious dick in the beginning but he got redeemed in Final Days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
One of the best supporting casts in big-2 comics, imho
I hope they make more stuff with her friend with the hijab. I feel that they give her to few room. I want a issue with her and Khamala doing stuff in civil.

Ms Marvel is really a modern version of what Lee and Ditko did way back with Amazing Spider-Man. Its almost scarry how similar these books are.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they make more stuff with her friend with the hijab. I feel that they give her to few room. I want a issue with her and Khamala doing stuff in civil.

Ms Marvel is really a modern version of what Lee and Ditko did way back with Amazing Spider-Man. Its almost scarry how similar these books are.

Based on the stuff they did with Zoe in the last issue, I'm thinking there's more development coming for Nakia.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Zoe & Aamir both had terrific arcs from start through Last Days.

God I love Ms Marvel... need to update my avatar soon.

Ehhhh. I appreciate what Thompson is trying to do, but I'd much prefer a consistent recall of what actually happened rather than an author dreaming up something entirely different because it is more palatable to her and to fans of the character. Assuming this isn't some sort of dream sequence, it reads like a fanfic reaction. Also, (CWII #4 spoilers)
she wasn't actually "taken out," she's back in action. So really all the fuss and bother over that scene and She-Hulk's status was a whole lot of nothing. She was unavailable to writers for a couple of months, assuming nothing else happens to her down the line.
No, I mean "taken out" as in knocked unconscious or defeated. The fact it would hurt her enough to land her in hospital in a coma for days is the weird part. She has taken stronger hits to the face and kept going.

No, I mean "taken out" as in knocked unconscious or defeated. The fact it would hurt her enough to land her in hospital in a coma for days is the weird part. She has taken stronger hits to the face and kept going.

Ah, I gotcha. And yeah you're right, it actually makes even less sense than what really happened (though neither of these scenarios seems to hit the bar for taking out a Hulk, frankly).

Lashley

Ok

What the actual fuck at Batman #4

Was it missing pages or something?

Why did Gotham turn rogue

What soldier saw his face? When?

I'm lost

Ok

What the actual fuck at Batman #4

Was it missing pages or something?

Why did Gotham turn rogue

I'm lost

Psycho Pirate is controlling his emotions, exploiting his past and making him unstable. It's a form of mind control. We saw the Gothams get ambushed by Strange and Psycho Pirate on the last page of #3.

DC should really do recap pages.

What soldier saw his face? When?

I forgot that part in my review. Lol, yeah.
He meant to kill all 28 soldiers but one of them played dead (despite taking a hit from a Superman-level character but lolwhatever). Conveniently he took off his mask after he was done murdering them and since the one guy was playing dead he saw his face.

Incidentally this leads to another super ridiculous bit of detective work by Batman.

edit: this leads me to one more question:
whyyyyy does that soldier just hang around there waiting to die for sooooo long??

Ah, I gotcha. And yeah you're right, it actually makes even less sense than what really happened (though neither of these scenarios seems to hit the bar for knocking out a Hulk, frankly).
Yeah, remember how in the final issue of Infinity Thanos and his surviving team took on Thor and Hulk(and Carol and Steve but they didn't do much)? Not even that hurt Hulk much.

(I think an earlier or later issue also had a fully powered Carol try to take Hulk out and he pretty much let her hit his face for a page before knocking her into space)

Lashley

Psycho Pirate is controlling his emotions, exploiting his past and making him unstable. It's a form of mind control. We saw the Gothams get ambushed by Strange and Psycho Pirate on the last page of #3.

DC should really do recap pages.
I wish they would

I forgot that part in my review. Lol, yeah.
He meant to kill all 28 soldiers but one of them played dead. Conveniently he took off his mask after he was done murdering them and since the one guy was playing dead he saw his face.

Incidentally this leads to another super ridiculous bit of detective work by Batman.
Ah, so it was weak writing

Sandfox

Ms. Marvel has not dropped in quality a bit, though the artist has changed so that may put you off. Personally I've not been bothered by it.

Also, The Uncanny Inhumans and Karnak have both been really good. But I have no idea what the fuck happened to Karnak. Basically, here's my pull list for Marvel:

The Ultimates
Black Panther
Moon Knight
The Uncanny Inhumans
All-New Inhumans
Ms. Marvel
Karnak
Squadron Supreme
Nighthawk
All-New All-Different Avengers
The Vision
Invincible Iron Man
International Iron Man
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
The Mighty Thor
The New Avengers
Extraordinary X-Men
Old Man Logan
Power Man and Iron Fist
Civil War 2*

RIP:
Illuminati

The bolded are what I think the best books are that I'd recommend no matter what. The underlined are books that I am really enjoying, but I can only recommend to those looking specifically for that kind of book. The rest I'm reading for the hell of it.

*I'm only listing the main event, as I'm also pulling all the minis for it, but I can't recommend the minis unless there's interest in CW2 as a whole.
You need more Black Widow, Spider-Woman, and All-New Wolverine in your life. Also, Nighthawk is amazing.

Yep. It was right around the time we also found out Angela got cancelled in the back of the second to last issue(since Marvel has stopped with public "Hey, these books are cancelled" statements since it's just bad PR for them). She had to go on Patreon due to losing two major gigs so close to each other IIRC.

Edit: Right, she has a Josie & the Pussycats book on the way as well.

She's doing Josie? Oh shit!

Zombine

Banned
Kill or Be Killed #1...damn that was cool. I don't know how much
I enjoyed the twist where he kills because he's possessed by a demon who makes him collect souls.
But I do like where the story is going. I'm ready for more and September is still so far away...

The
mask itchiness
thing had been set up, but it's hard to disagree.

The issue is bursting with faulty logic, convenient developments, and psychic detective work. I'll keep reading for now because I'm still enjoying it, but not nearly as much as I expected. Batman + King should have been magical and it just isn't, at all. Maybe in four more issues?

Owzers

i'm in between ordering some of these books like Kill or Be Killed, Reborn, and Seven to Eternity as floppies or waiting for twice annual cmx sales. I think i'd rather do either of the two more than paperbacks? Maybe? I'm off my image trades thing and now want books sooner and then if i really like them OHC.

Black Science 23: Am I really contemplating dropping a Rick Remender joint?? Yeah, this arc is losing me fast. A serious case of fictional character not actually being familiar with fiction, like
how does Grant not immediately realize he's dealing with the fucking witch, I figured it out the second she popped up, didn't even need to read the dialogue. How does Pia reach him so quickly and easily. How does she not realize they're dealing with the fucking witch??

Is Grant's intellect really such a prize? He's done a lot of dumb shit over the course of this series. She seems to be implying that she knows about the Pillar but howwww. Oh and lol book title quote, in big scary all caps font no less.
Comics pls make sense, it's not hard to make sense

There's also a shitload of cheesy, bad dialogue. Purple Science.

2 transdimensional pillars out of 5 transdimensional pillars

Kill or Be Killed #1...damn that was cool. I don't know how much
I enjoyed the twist where he kills because he's possessed by a demon who makes him collect souls.
But I do like where the story is going. I'm ready for more and September is still so far away...

I just finished reading that and yeah the whole twist is really stupid and like Brubaker thought of it in like a second.
Lol Final Destination except the evil demon makes you kill dudes (and specifically bad ones for some reason lol).
I would have enjoyed a standard murderlante story but I'll stick it out for a few more issues since the issue was still pretty good.

Owzers

I don't believe the bad reviews for Suicide Squad, if it were such an awful movie then why would DC put out so much merchandise for it?

CWII: Kingpin. Whewwww. Phew. Okay. That was all right. Pretty good, even. I still love comics after all.

Daredevil Annual up next though. I'm sure it will be a modern comics masterpiece, it's fine. This is fine.

GaFWeRK.gif

ElNarez

Banned
okay that does it I've read too much straight-up bunk bullshit about Batman #4, so it's time to quote from the fucking text:

"But one of them was just playing. One of them saw. Took a picture. Ran it through Task Force X databases. Found Henry and Mary Clover. Out of his mind, that soldier took his revenge. Killed your parents."

There. That's why
Gotham goes off the deep end.
It's in the text.

You people sometimes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
whew, that first Jason Aaron Thor hardcover was a real ride.

11 issues, perfectly self contained and super accessible. beautiful art, great pacing, the works!

this is a go-to recommendation to friends for years, i suspect it'll get a lot of reading after Ragnarok next year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
i'm in between ordering some of these books like Kill or Be Killed, Reborn, and Seven to Eternity as floppies or waiting for twice annual cmx sales. I think i'd rather do either of the two more than paperbacks? Maybe? I'm off my image trades thing and now want books sooner and then if i really like them OHC.

Just stay a month behind and get them all at $1.99.

Top Bottom