• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I've dropped pretty much everything but Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Vision, and Deadpool. Probably will keep reading Spidey too. It's fun.

I still haven't read Deadpool/Spider, Power-Man/Iron Fist, Mockingbird, Black Panther, X-Men 92, or A-Force yet. Basically most of the stuff that interested me came out later and is just hitting MU.
Fuck I forgot I'm pulling A-Force
Haha I'm reading The Flash by Morrison and Millar, and Jay Garrick is drinking some tea from a cup that says "World's Oldest Super-hero". I love this book.
Jay Garrick is second best Flash

TheFlow

Banned

I wish they would

Ah, so it was weak writing

8022daa684ba9526e25824326834ef9f.jpg

okay that does it I've read too much straight-up bunk bullshit about Batman #4, so it's time to quote from the fucking text:

"But one of them was just playing. One of them saw. Took a picture. Ran it through Task Force X databases. Found Henry and Mary Clover. Out of his mind, that soldier took his revenge. Killed your parents."

There. That's why
Gotham goes off the deep end.
It's in the text.

You people sometimes.

b6091a036c76bed5cbc7be90557f4cfa.jpg

Elnarez coming in here like a great detective explaining the plot got me rolling

VanWinkle

Is Soule another Robert Venditti where his work is great on one company and bad on another? A lot of his DC stuff is really good but I haven't heard much positivity for his Marvel work.

Fuck I forgot I'm pulling A-Force

Jay Garrick is second best Flash

I love the whole Flash family. Well, not too familiar with Bart really, but the rest.

An advantage of these being bi-monthly is that I also have #3 on my desk right now. If you need more explanations, I can provide, just ask.

when exactly did that All-Star Superman esque explosion take place? Were those all the soldiers killed in the opening pages? Cuz if so, that doesnt seem like its Gotham's fault. And if is, where are the firefighters that were standing on the building as well? And if its not, if its just some totally random occurrence separate from the other group of dead soldiers, why wasn't that followed up on in any way? Why was one group of dead soldiers more relevant than another? Just for a comic nerd reference and checking the box on another explosion?

TheFlow

Banned
That's seriously going to go down as one of the worst comics I have ever read

That is how DD pulls you in. Shows you nice art with the best pages being in the preview.

when exactly did that All-Star Superman esque explosion take place? Were those all the soldiers killed in the opening pages? Cuz if so, that doesnt seem like its Gotham's fault. And if is, where are the firefighters that were standing on the building as well? And if its not, if its just some totally random occurrence separate from the other group of dead soldiers, why wasn't that followed up on in any way? Why was one group of dead soldiers more relevant than another? Just for a comic nerd reference and checking the box on another explosion?
damn he didn't write the book.

Sandfox

David Walker is having a conversation on twitter that makes it seem like DC burned a bridge over some "creative difference" involving Cyborg, while Marvel is letting him do whatever he wants.

DC should've let him turn Cyborg into Nighthawk.

TheFlow

Banned
Even the art was shit

They try to do this Samnee thing with Echo's powers and it just. fucking. sucks.

damnnnn. that sucks. Dislike Seeing my favorite characters have bad issues.

:/ DD seems to have the most number of well regarded runs, with the latest one being as recent as August last year. Might be a bit soon to write-off DD forever.
Love DD, so if the series gets good I don't mind jumping in with a new arc. I think people are just let down after the iconic and amazing runs by everyone else.

David Walker is having a conversation on twitter that makes it seem like DC burned a bridge over some "creative difference" involving Cyborg, while Marvel is letting him do whatever he wants.

Wasn't there some webcomic floating around making fun of DC editorial interference with Cyborg? Was that about David Walker or some other writer?

An advantage of these being bi-monthly is that I also have #3 on my desk right now. If you need more explanations, I can provide, just ask.

Okay, I'll bite

Why is Gotham Girl never a suspect?
Why does Batman leave an unstable Superman-level character recently exposed to mind-controlling influences alone with Duke and Alfred, unrestrained, in the Batcave?
How did Huge Strange and Psycho-Pirate escape Task Force X, despite the heavy safeguards that are always in place in Task Force X to prevent this exact scenario from occurring?
Why does it take so long for Gotham to fly back and kill the soldier he accidentally left alive? Batman has time to infiltrate Task Force X, interrogate Waller, and then return to the scene (with no car). Did Gotham walk? Okay, why does it take so long for Gotham to reach his parents? They're at their house, right? It takes Batman ten minutes to get there with no car and no flight.
Why does the surviving soldier just hang around waiting to die? Why doesn't he call for help? I GUESS I'm good on this one but I still think it's lame.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
okay that does it I've read too much straight-up bunk bullshit about Batman #4, so it's time to quote from the fucking text:

"But one of them was just playing. One of them saw. Took a picture. Ran it through Task Force X databases. Found Henry and Mary Clover. Out of his mind, that soldier took his revenge. Killed your parents."

There. That's why
Gotham goes off the deep end.
It's in the text.

You people sometimes.

But weren't their parents killed AGES ago, isn't that why they went into the program/army and got powers?

Like echo has stated, so many plotholes

TheFlow

Banned
Can't believe that I spent 5 hours playing pokemon(DS) today. Pokemon Go, Ashe about to finally win a championship, and the new pokemon games are pulling me back into my childhood.

Owzers

That's seriously going to go down as one of the worst comics I have ever read

i don't really have a worst comics ever read section, but i also don't read a ton of comics to have things stand out. If it's bad, it just gracefully slides into the pool of disappointment alongside Age of Ultron and Civil War tie-in issues.

Ross61

His Cyborg run wasn't very good imo. I really read if for the Ivan Reis art.

Oooookay I just re-read the last few pages and went back to #3 and the part in question finally makes sense. So,
the 28th soldier does kill his parents. THAT'S where he is. They didn't die a long time ago, they are alive as of the beginning of #4. He doesn't just hang around. And Batman knew where to go to find them because he looked into them and knows where they live. Okay.

Still a lot of plot holes (listed above) and the writing could be a lot clearer.

edit: Wait, so
Gotham somehow didn't kill the 28th man even though he is a Superman-level character. How on earth did the guy get a picture of him without him knowing? This is still pretty shaky to me, seems like the soldier successfully carried out his mad plan for revenge REALLY quickly.
The timing of a LOT of things in this issue really does not make sense.

Sadist

I've got some theories on this one. I noticed
that they made it a point not to mention Alpha's death around Lydia. Obvious reasons, sure. But what are the odds of her finding out anyway and rejoining her people? Maybe as Alpha considering the torch that Beta carried for Lydia's mom? Then we have Magna and her people, who we still know nothing about. Could they be Whisperers sent to infiltrate Rick's community?
I don't know...

Lydia is hard to figure out, but I suppose not getting raped anymore which Alpha allowed (because you know, if ya get raped, you're not strong enough!) seems like a good trade off. On the other hand somewhere I just know Lydia just seduced Carl to get him on her side. I totally expect a cliffhanger moment between her and Beta with the latter telling her that Negan killed Alpha.

I expect a post "Can we trust Negan?" storyline where Maggie and Lydia might plot something against him. That's my gutfeeling.

About Magna... seems like a good theory. But I dunno, I feel Kirkman finally gave them some time again because after their introduction they weren't used that well. Btw, wasn't one of Magna's group head chopped off and placed on a post by the Whispers? Could be a ruse. But that would be really extreme.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Oooookay I just re-read the last few pages and went back to #3 and the part in question finally makes sense. So,
the 28th soldier does kill his parents. THAT'S where he is. They didn't die a long time ago, they are alive as of the beginning of #4. He doesn't just hang around. And Batman knew where to go to find them because he looked into them and knows where they live. Okay.

Still a lot of plot holes (listed above) and the writing could be a lot clearer.

edit: Wait, so
Gotham somehow didn't kill the 28th man even though he is a Superman-level character. How on earth did the guy get a picture of him without him knowing? This is still pretty shaky to me, seems like the soldier successfully carried out his mad plan for revenge REALLY quickly.
The timing of a LOT of things in this issue really do not make sense.

think i'll re-read it when the arc is finished

ElNarez

Banned

The events happen in order. Gonna run the timeline from the end of #3, glossing over some stuff.

-The Gothams and Batman save people after a suicide bomber takes out a bridge
-A second explosion occurs. The Gothams go check on it.
-There, they get ambushed by Hugo Strange, Psycho Pirate and a whole bunch of soldiers
-#3 ends
-Psycho Pirate does his thing, messes with the Gothams' minds. Gotham dude kills 27 soldiers, writes his name in blood on the walls, and bails
-(we'll take the time here to note the symbolism of that number)
-A 28th soldier plays dead, takes a picture of Gotham boi and identifies him as Hank Clover.
-#4 opens, Batman is at the scene with all the dead bodies and Gotham girl in a catatonic state. She is taken to the Batcave, while Batman heads out to investigate
-Meanwhile, in a fragile mental state, Gotham hunk tries his hand at doing the All-Star Superman thing with a third suicide bomber. (which he finds because, well, there's a bunch of cops and firemen at the site)
-(we'll take the time here to note that the words he uses are the exact same Batman used in #3 in the flashback, after saving Gotham child and his parents from a mugger in an alley)
-This fails, because those things are connected, and his mental state worsens
-He returns to the bridge to try and fix it. Here, he's confronted by Batman. Here, he learns of the soldier that was playing dead.
-Batman connects the thing to Task Force X and confronts Waller about it.
-Meanwhile, Soldier 28 brings the payload of vengeance to the control point of Gotham bro's parents, and kills them
-Then Gotham synonym for man finds him
-Then Batman finds them
-And then Gotham guy flies off

BONUS ROUND OF ANSWERS:

-Gotham Girl isn't a suspect because of the earlier mentioned catatonic state. That she willingly accepts to be taken to the cave and the care of Alfred and Duke is another reason to not treat her as dangerous.
-Hugo Strange and Psycho Pirate didn't escape Task Force X until the end of #3. From the text: "Strange betrayed his mission, used the Pirate to drive your new little superfriends crazy. Used them to kill the guards I sent to prevent such a betrayal."
-Gotham Person doesn't have "instantly find someone" powers. That's a Batman thing.
-FINALLY, the reason 28 kills the Clovers is because he thinks the super-powered guy who tore through 27 of his colleagues is "a monster". Go figure, right?

TheFlow

Banned
The events happen in order. Gonna run the timeline from the end of #3, glossing over some stuff.

-There, they get ambushed by Hugo Strange, Psycho Pirate and a whole bunch of soldiers
-#3 ends
-Psycho Pirate does his thing, messes with the Gothams' minds. Gotham dude kills 27 soldiers, writes his name in blood on the walls, and bails
-A 28th soldier plays dead, takes a picture of Gotham boi and identifies him as Hank Clover.
-#4 opens, Batman is at the scene with all the dead bodies and Gotham girl in a catatonic state. She is taken to the Batcave, while Batman heads out to investigate
-Meanwhile, in a fragile mental state, Gotham hunk tries his hand at doing the All-Star Superman thing with a third suicide bomber. (which he finds because, well, there's a bunch of cops and firemen at the site)
-(we'll take the time here to note that the words he uses are the exact same Batman used in #3 in the flashback, after saving Gotham child and his parents from a mugger in an alley)
-He returns to the bridge to try and fix it. Here, he's confronted by Batman. Here, he learns of the soldier that was playing dead.
-Meanwhile, Soldier 28 brings the payload of vengeance to the control point of Gotham bro's parents, and kills them
-Then Batman finds them

BONUS ROUND OF ANSWERS:

-Gotham Girl isn't a suspect because of the earlier mentioned catatonic state. That she willingly accepts to be taken to the cave and the care of Alfred and Duke is another reason to not treat her as dangerous.
-Hugo Strange and Psycho Pirate didn't escape Task Force X until the end of #3. From the text: "Strange betrayed his mission, used the Pirate to drive your new little superfriends crazy. Used them to kill the guards I sent to prevent such a betrayal."
-Gotham Person doesn't have "instantly find someone" powers. That's a Batman thing.
-FINALLY, the reason 28 kills the Clovers is because he thinks the super-powered guy who tore through 27 of his colleagues is "a monster". Go figure, right?
There are two people are scary with prep time.

1.Batman
2.ElNarez.

giphy.gif

I like there's a Psycho Pirate so they can excuse any stupid character motivation for this sloppy story. "He was crazy!" Gotham's
parents died
because we needed yet another allusion to Gotham being like Batma-durr I mean the soldier was out of mind cuz psycho pirate!

eh, a lot of that seems pretty damn shaky still man, but I don't care enough to keep arguing about it. If I change my mind later, it's Psycho-Pirate, pls send help

I will say, I think JC was right earlier in that one of the chief problems in the book is the extremely obtuse manner in which Batman
links all this to Task Force X. Why do the dog tags add up like that? How is that even possible? Is Amanda Waller actually the Riddler? One of the soldiers is even MISSING so how does that fucking work?? And what about that Black Dynamitesque detective work this leads to?

I'd like to see you explain that one away

lets talk about
killing exactly the right amount of soldiers(including letting one get away) so Batman can link that shit back to Waller on some
Black Dynamite shit

eh, a lot of that seems pretty damn shaky still man, but I don't care enough to keep arguing about it. If I change my mind later, it's Psycho-Pirate, pls send help

I will say, I think JC was right earlier in that one of the chief problems in the book is the extremely obtuse manner in which Batman
links all this to Task Force X. Why do the dog tags add up like that? How is that even possible? Is Amanda Waller actually the Riddler? One of the soldiers is even MISSING so how does that fucking work?? And what about that Black Dynamitesque detective work this leads to?

I want to see this deduction now.

Edit: Someone posted the excerpt on reddit! I see what you guys mean...

ElNarez

Banned
eh, a lot of that seems pretty damn shaky still man, but I don't care enough to keep arguing about it.

The serial numbers on each individual dog tag add up to 24, it's not all the dog tags together. That's how he knows they're all part of the same unit. And, through his access and knowledge of army backchannels, he links that to Task Force X.

You know how I got my tag, right? I'm all about shutting that shit down. Come at me.

-#3 ends
-Then Batman finds them

BONUS ROUND OF ANSWERS:

This.....helps.

Though saying
Gothan doesn't have "find someone powers", just clicked in my head that he said he sees everything when Batman disappeared in #2. He could have been just watching over his parents extra close and saw them die and only Batman thinks he put the two together?

the serial numbers on the dog tags themselves all up to 24. Apparently Waller was like "ah yes, 24 like the 24th letter in the alphabet, which is the letter X, which is us! Make sure all are super secret guards have this so somebody can trace this back to us on some scooby doo shit, General Lane"

TheFlow

Banned
The serial numbers on each individual dog tag add up to 24, it's not all the dog tags together. That's how he knows they're all part of the same unit. And, through his access and knowledge of army backchannels, he links that to Task Force X.

You know how I got my tag, right? I'm all about shutting that shit down. Come at me.

HORY SHIT. that is how you got your tag :O

BRUH. few people get tags for actually owning people. so kudos

the serial numbers on the dog tags themselves all up to 24. Apparently Waller was like "ah yes, 24 like the 24th letter in the alphabet, which is the letter X, which is us! Make sure all are super secret guards have this so somebody can trace this back to us on some scooby doo shit, General Lane"
go to sleep, you are overthinking it. Batman needs no explanations for why he is the best.

This Batman book sounds confusing.

Honestly the first time I read through it I was so caught up in the suspense of it I didn't even think too hard about it. It's afterward I thought back at how it all added up and was confused and thought some stuff was dumb, like above with the numbers.

I mean you know that's actually not possible, right? Does she just only pick out soldiers for Task Force X if their serial number adds up to 24? But let's just assume she can make them new dog tags or whatever. Why? Why would she do that? Seriously, is she the Riddler?

Top Bottom