• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Messi

Pretty sure that they werent when She was introduced by Rucka.
But I can be wrong, I was just seriously surprised.

I guess I'm wrong. Rucka is against it.

That’s also why I so dislike the idea of Kate and Bruce being related. I think that her separation from that is crucial to who she is. Her independence is entirely self-defined, and she is entirely self-motivated.

But they are related now and sane goes for the Arkham verse.

I think Morrison was the one who decided that the Kane's were related to the Wayne's by marriage which happened before the introduction of Kate Kane.

This seems to be true.

shingi70

Banned
If you want something with more depth, the BESTA frame is also a good starting point. It can get expensive real fast once you start purchasing the shelves and doors, though.

I might just purchase a set of two for myself since they're on sale this month.

Both those look god, the Besta frame looks to have the advantage of being able to to modular.

I always thought Bruce's mother was a Kane.
She was.

There are actually two "Kate Kane"'s running around. The one who married into the family and showed up in Morrison's Inc and her niece who's Batwoman. One goes by Kathy and the other just by Kate.

Bruce is Kate's cousin.

Messi

She was.

There are actually two "Kate Kane"'s running around. The one who married into the family and showed up in Morrison's Inc and her niece who's Batwoman. One goes by Kathy and the other just by Kate.

Bruce is Kate's cousin.

This is so Morrison lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My problem with it is that is just a to big coincident that she also takes up the mantle of a Batman related hero witho beeing aware that her cousin is actually Batman...

shingi70

Banned
My problem with it is that is just a to big coincident that she also takes up the mantle of a Batman related hero witho beeing aware that her cousin is actually Batman...

I think it works, they wouldn't be all that close considering in most stories the Kane's hate the Wayne's and the only interaction they have is when the Kanes are trying to take Bruce's money. Kate herself would be somewhat isolated with her always moving and her relationship to her family would be strained after the death of her mother.

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/762004851358248960

xmk1mcn.jpg

rdytoroll

Just read and finished Thor Volume 1: The God Butcher as recommended in this thread and it was really good! The art looks absolutely amazing and that first story arc also kept me interested. Gonna buy Godbomb right away

Messi

Remember how Marvel wanted KSD to stay on Captain Marvel until the movie was out despite declining sales and her wanting to leaveeven before SW like her husband? She jumped the moment she could once her SW book was done and now Marvel are struggling to keep a team on the team.

Marguerite Bennett, Stephanie Hans.

You are welcome Marvel.

Hagi

Suicide Squad was not terrible. I really liked Joker/Harley and Will Smith playing Will Smith was pretty cool as well. What the fuck at Katana being in this, total pointless addition. Villain was shit and was the worst thing about the film.

Looking forward to Leto's Joker appearing in any future films.

Remember how Marvel wanted KSD to stay on Captain Marvel until the movie was out despite declining sales and her wanting to leaveeven before SW like her husband? She jumped the moment she could once her SW book was done and now Marvel are struggling to keep a team on the team.

All I remember is that the book wasn't good before and it isn't good now.

Marguerite Bennett, Stephanie Hans.

You are welcome Marvel.

I'd read this.

frye

my affection for Brie Larson against my general apathy towards Captain Marvel/Marvel movies

which will win out??

Messi

Suicide Squad was not terrible. I really liked Joker/Harley and Will Smith playing Will Smith was pretty cool as well. What the fuck at Katana being in this, total pointless addition. Villain was shit and was the worst thing about the film.

Looking forward to Leto's Joker appearing in any future films.

All I remember is that the book wasn't good before and it isn't good now.

I'd read this.

So many horrible lies in one post.

shingi70

Banned
I love Kelly Sue's run but any reason why it hasn't done as good as it's contemparies in the market.

My pitch for Carol would be for to be earth's premier Cosmic based hero fighting off alien threats while working with conjunction with with the air force.

Mainly just give me this.

tumblr_nbv00txGbe1tgnhsio1_500.jpg

Reading through Simonson's Thor run it's become abundantly clear that Malekith is entirely different from his movie incarnation. It seems like everything Thor in the MCU is a huge mishandling. The only thing they did right was a rainbow bridge. Anyway how come they never did casket of the ancient winters or gave the warrior's three or Balder any time instead of Darcy, Erik and Jane Foster. Hell I don't even think I've seen Jane Foster mentioned once in this run. They could have also been doing an epic build to Surtur or Beta Ray Bill...

I love Kelly Sue's run but any reason why it hasn't done as good as it's contemparies in the market.

My pitch for Carol would be for to be earth's premier Cosmic based hero fighting off alien threats while working with conjunction with with the air force.

Mainly just give me this.

tumblr_nbv00txGbe1tgnhsio1_500.jpg
I still love this for completely glossing over her Ms. Marvel days and her past with Mar-Vell. Hell, she wasn't even a pilot at that time(this was when she was still head of security at NASA IIRC). This is what her origin will be in the MCU.

Reading through Simonson's Thor run it's become abundantly clear that Malekith is entirely different from his movie incarnation. It seems like everything Thor in the MCU is a huge mishandling. The only thing they did right was a rainbow bridge. Anyway how come they never did casket of the ancient winters or gave the warrior's three or Balder any time instead of Darcy, Erik and Jane Foster. Hell I don't even think I've seen Jane Foster mentioned once in this run. They could have also been doing an epic build to Surtur or Beta Ray Bill...

Yeah, Malekith is completely different. It feels like the Thor movies were focus tested and some guy somewhere went "we need more earth things for people to feel connected".

They should have just made a Balder the Brave movie instead of Thor 2.

Are you reading on Marvel Unlimited? Did you read the Balder mini-series too? Which issue are you at?

http://marvel.com/comics/series/3625/balder_the_brave_1985

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

No.

Yeah, Malekith is completely different. It feels like the Thor movies were focus tested and some guy somewhere went "we need more earth things for people to feel connected".

They should have just made Balder the Brave movie instead of Thor 2.

Are you reading on Marvel Unlimited? Did you read the Balder mini-series too? Which issue are you at?

http://marvel.com/comics/series/3625/balder_the_brave_1985

I'm in the middle of Walt Simson TP volume 2, Malekith just opened the realm to muspelheim. I think the Balder the Brave issues are included in volume 3. I rarely do it but since I love Norse Mythology and the run is praised to heaven and back, I bought all 5 volumes wtihout reading them on MU first. Also bought Godbomb and Straciznyski's Thor run.

The balder side storyline is cool, I should get Marvel Unlimited just to see how he was sent to Hel.

ElNarez

Banned

Interesting thing about that. THR reports that around half of the movie's apparently record-breaking audience on Friday were women. Now, part of me has to think it's due in part to having three women on the poster, and the heavy marketing push around Harley Quinn.

Between this and the fact we're likely gonna get a Wonder Woman movie while Captain Marvel is still just a teaser picture and a date, I think Warner's found a way to make the whole superhero movie thing work.

Messi

Girls do love that Harley Quinn. Watch her front a birds of prey movie. Regardless of whether or not she is in the group.

I hope when Harley eventually meets Wonder Woman they go with the version of Harley that idolized her.

shingi70

Banned
Interesting thing about that. THR reports that around half of the movie's apparently record-breaking audience on Friday were women. Now, part of me has to think it's due in part to having three women on the poster, and the heavy marketing push around Harley Quinn.

Between this and the fact we're likely gonna get a Wonder Woman movie while Captain Marvel is still just a teaser picture and a date, I think Warner's found a way to make the whole superhero movie thing work.

Not just women It brought in alot of minority viewers.

the David Ayer movie is bringing in more females than BvS, 42% to 31%. Also per PostTrak, the combination of African American and Hispanic moviegoers made up a huge 41% of the audience[

Look at how diverse the cast was

Deadshot - African American
Amanda Waller - African American woman
Katana - Japanese Woman
El Diablo - Latino
Killer Croc - African American Man
Slipknot - first nations man
Harley Quinn - woman
Enchantress - woman

edit: Katana was in the movie to not only introduce her the universe, but she will most likely be in the birds of prey movie, and we've had enough of viewers of 1 or 2 new characters per movie.

If you look at the dcu Justice League only two of the seven members are white males. In fact the DCEU has been good with desperation over the course of the three films in the universe.

Hagi

That's cool and one of the things I liked the most about the film was how they pushed Waller and Harley but man I can't even say they just shoehorned Katana into this, it was handled a lot worse.

Hope the film has decent legs.

shingi70

Banned
Also: it literally took ELEVEN MOVIES for the Avengers to have two women on the team.

I got crapped on in the OT for this, but hate the fact that for Guaridans is called such a risk, marvel still saw it as a safer bet then a film starring a woman or a minority man.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I agree with you but still, I think DC has here the advantage of the late start, I dont think they would push so much diversity when they had started at th same time as Iron Man and didnt had a break for like 5 years inbetween.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WB has done a MUCH better job with diversity than Marvel.

Now that Ike is gone, it does seem like they're getting better about it though - Civil War was the most diverse they've been.

WB could use diversity as their trump card against Marvel to have their movies make more money especially now that WB is gonna beat Marvel with a female superhero, but if they can't get the critics and general good reception they won't be able to change up the genre.

Top Bottom