• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I agree with you but still, I think DC has here the advantage of the late start, I dont think they would push so much diversity when they had started at th same time as Iron Man and didnt had a break for like 5 years inbetween.

DC would still come out with a female-led film before Marvel would even if they did start at the same time

No female character at Marvel is Wonder Woman level of iconic and everyone knows it. It's not a secret.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
DC would still come out with a female-led film before Marvel would even if they did start at the same time

No female character at Marvel is Wonder Woman level of iconic and everyone knows it. It's not a secret.
True.
At least for america, I dont change my point of view that at this point Black Widow is most likely more know among regular, non-Comic Book people outside of america.

No competition = stagnation.
Also this.

ElNarez

Banned
I swear, first thing I do monday morning is get to a matinee screening of Suicide Squad so the world will finally know what the correct opinion to have is.

Hagi

The success of Suicide Squad is the first time I've been scared about a Trump presidency.

When Amanda Waller sends her people, she's not sending the best. She's not sending you, she's sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.

When Amanda Waller sends her people, she's not sending the best. She's not sending you, she's sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.

This is so beautiful.

ElNarez

Banned

well jared leto is

Vic_Viper

About the start the new 52 Swamp Thing DLX Ed. Do I need to read Animal Man too, is the relevant issues included? I know there was some sort of crossover, just don't remember the name. Flipping through the other night and the art is awesome. Glad to see Batman makes an appearance in more than just the first issue, hope Constantine plays a role as well.

rdytoroll

Is Civil War 1-7 a good read if you have only seen the movies and are just starting out reading comics? (I havent seen Civil war yet though and I'd like to read it before) I can get it digitally for like 6€

Word of mouth only gets so far and then they still end up seeing it anyway.
But most movies need repeat viewers to make back their budgets especially geek movies. If a superhero movie can't get people to see it again then it's gonna get disappointing returns.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Is Civil War 1-7 a good read if you have only seen the movies and are just starting out reading comics? (I havent seen Civil war yet though and I'd like to read it before) I can get it digitally for like 6€

honestly i would avoid all big event comics for a while. they are rarely good and always steeped in lots of recent comic lore.

PsychBat!

Banned

Civil War the comic and Civil War the movie have nothing to do with each other except that they share the name. And I don't know if an event is a good way to start reading comics anymore.

Please don't read Civil War right before seeing Captain America: Civil War, that's unfair to the movie

Event comics are not really for newbies and it has been that way for awhile. These days, it is almost always the case that the best stuff in the events can be found in this tie-in or that tie-in, and that the tie-in over there actually adds some cool context to the main event making for a better experience, and such-and-such scene in the main event won't land with you if you haven't been reading these characters for years, and on and on and on. They make those for those of us who have been reading for a long time because they know we will buy them.

My advice: pick out two or three of your favorite characters and seek out good runs for those characters (you can ask us, we'll be able to tell you which are the best runs for a new reader). Read those instead. If you're still enjoying comics in a year or two, then consider approaching events. You need to get a few books under your belt first.

Alright, got it. I want to finish the Aaron Thor run first anyway

Great starting point, Aaron's Thor is god-tier and you don't need anything else going in.

Zombine

Banned
I swear, first thing I do monday morning is get to a matinee screening of Suicide Squad so the world will finally know what the correct opinion to have is.

Bro...I Was on team BvS since day one.

Suicide Squad is a poorly paced, horribly edited piece of shit.

Leto is fuckin awful. Harley is great but under utilized. Katana has absolutely purpose in the film. The film goes from the introduction right into the final battle. They spend maybe 2 hours togeher as a team and we get some lame "You're all my friends" speech. The finale is the end of Ghostbusters but worse. The set pieces are terrible. Boomerang has a pink unicorn fetish because hot topic. Batman is cool. Viola Davis is cool.

And once again, Leto is fuckin horrible.

In the moment, I enjoyed some of my time with the film. It's not a 23% or whatever...it's just disappointing. It could have been a lot more. The original cut sounds like it did not have a majority of the issues that this cut had.

6/10

Edit: and Killer Croc says and does nothing, but the few times he does open his mouth he's a black stereotype.

It was just a dumb, disappointing, wildly frustrating movie.

rdytoroll

Please don't read Civil War right before seeing Captain America: Civil War, that's unfair to the movie

Event comics are not really for newbies and it has been that way for awhile. These days, it is almost always the case that the best stuff in the events can be found in this tie-in or that tie-in, and that the tie-in over there actually adds some cool context to the main event making for a better experience, and such-and-such scene in the main event won't land with you if you haven't been reading these characters for years, and on and on and on. They make those for those of us who have been reading for a long time because they know we will buy them.

My advice: pick out two or three of your favorite characters and seek out good runs for those characters (you can ask us, we'll be able to tell you which are the best runs for a new reader). Read those instead. If you're still enjoying comics in a year or two, then consider approaching events. You need to get a few books under your belt first.

Great starting point, Aaron's Thor is god-tier and you don't need anything else going in.

Thanks for the advice! Yea, I got some good recommendations in this thread already which I'll read first before ever going to the events like you said.

Owzers

I hope Suicide Squad hits blu ray the same day as the election.

Did you guys see those silly quotes from Leto on IGN

The guy is a tool, always has been. I'll try not to let that color my perception of his performance but it's gonna be rough

Thanks for the advice! Yea, I got some good recommendations in this thread already which I'll read first before ever going to the events like you said.

Oh yeah I remember your crazy-old-Luke avatar now :)

rG01kC7.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Here is my face during BvS:

😯😀😎

Here is my face during Suicide Squad:

🙂...😐...😶

10 minutes after I walk out:

🤔😑😕

Top Bottom