• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Speaking of Busiek, have Marvel collected all of his Thunderbolts into one omnibus? With the way the new book fizzled out I'm thinking about reading the classic run.

Today's my birthday.

I think it's finally time to buy that second Hawkeye ohc. The Rat Queens hardcover as well, because I choose to remember the good times. I think I will catch a Suicide Squad matinee tomorrow since I'm at my folks' today as well.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Buying & reading ASAP:
All-New All-Different Avengers 13
All-New All-Different Avengers Annual 1
New Super-Man 2

Buying but not reading til the run is done:
Black Panther 5
The Vision 10

Today's my birthday.

I think it's finally time to buy that second Hawkeye ohc. The Rat Queens hardcover as well, because I choose to remember the good times. I think I will catch a Suicide Squad matinee tomorrow since I'm at my folks' today as well.

🎉🎉🎉🎉

so many summer babies on comicsgaf

Happy birthday Tetrax. When are you buying us some Plastic Man cake.

aTeZZ87.png

How do you subscribe?

(Just let the front desk know you want to set up a pull list. They'll let you know what their terms are. (Some shops want a months notice for cancellation, some offer 10%-15% off for the subscribed issues, Some hold books for 15 days only, etc)

Here's a pictorial guide.

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/86503886997/er-i-did-this-the-wicked-the-divine-is-out-on

(Just let the front desk know you want to set up a pull list. They'll let you know what their terms are. (Some shops want a months notice for cancellation, some offer 10%-15% off for the subscribed issues, Some hold books for 15 days only, etc)

Here's a pictorial guide.

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/86503886997/er-i-did-this-the-wicked-the-divine-is-out-on

Makes me laugh every time.

Happy Birthday Tetrax!

Reading Suicide Squad Rebirth #1. Had to laugh at Boomerang calling Deadshot cold for
killing Ljungberg after he just sliced the guy's hands off.
Thought it was pretty decent.

rdytoroll

Finished up the Thor God Butcher story arc and it was really good. That Esad Ribic guy is the real deal, every panel looked amazing. Though I could have used a bit more humor. Not sure If I'll just jump into Vol. 3 right away or read another characters arc first. I've also never read any of the essential Batman stories, but I could really use something with some humor now. I was thinking about characters like Ant-Man and Spiderman, but no idea where to start again

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Happy birthday, Tetrax! May your hair be as daringly styled as your avatars.

List
All-Star Batman 1
New Super-Man 2
Black Panther 5
Vision 10
Archer and Armstrong 6

Maybe ANAD Avengers Annual depending on y'alls thoughts.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finished up the Thor God Butcher story arc and it was really good. That Esad Ribic guy is the real deal, every panel looked amazing. Though I could have used a bit more humor. Not sure If I'll just jump into Vol. 3 right away or read another characters arc first. I've also never read any of the essential Batman stories, but I could really use something with some humor now. I was thinking about characters like Ant-Man and Spiderman, but no idea where to start again

That's what we're here for!

I did the same thing after Vol 2 - it is a terrific book but you leave it wanting something lighter.

This next rec is a top-tier book, self contained and complete, but is only tangentially related to Spider-Man. It's called The Superior Foes of Spider-Man - it focuses on a rag tag group of low level Spidey villains who are trying to just get by. It takes place during a time where Spidey himself was being very brutal to enemies, and so you empathize with these scrubs.

It's light, breezy fun that embodies everything I love about comics.

https://m.comixology.com/The-Superior-Foes-of-Spider-Man/comics-series/10663

My second rec maintains a lot of the things you liked about Thor - amazing art, compelling story - but has a bit of a lighter touch. It is Vol 1-3 of Immortal Iron Fist. That is the whole run of that book that you need to read, it's done by 1 creative team who you will grow to love (Fraction & Brubaker.)

It's a street level, 70s inspired Kung Fu NYC story that I think you'll really enjoy despite the smaller scale.

https://m.comixology.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist/comics-series/917

ironfist5foottoface.jpg

Blizzard wouldn't do that again, surely they know all this money they made with the summer games boxes was a mistake.
"Guys all this money we made was a mistake. Let's fix this mistake..............after our Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas event. We'll get to the bottom of this. We swear."

Owzers

Batman #3 was okay, people need to stay out of alleys in Gotham. I'm still planning on dropping the book after issue #4.

rdytoroll

That's what we're here for!

I did the same thing after Vol 2 - it is a terrific book but you leave it wanting something lighter.

This next rec is a top-tier book, self contained and complete, but is only tangentially related to Spider-Man. It's called The Superior Foes of Spider-Man - it focuses on a rag tag group of low level Spidey villains who are trying to just get by. It takes place during a time where Spidey himself was being very brutal to enemies, and so you empathize with these scrubs.

That's a really cool idea for a comic book, I'm going to read that next. Does Spiderman feature in that comic or is it mainly focused on the baddies? Also noted down the Iron Fist recommendation, I like the look of that. Thanks so much dude, so many amazing things to discover :D

Happy birthday Tetrax!
That's a really cool idea for a comic book, I'm going to read that next. Does Spiderman feature in that comic or is it mainly focused on the baddies? Also noted down the Iron Fist recommendation, I like the look of that. Thanks so much dude, so many amazing things to discover :D

Spider-Man makes like one appearance I think, and it's not a big thing.

It's a great series and hands down one of my favorite Marvel runs. It's short, funny, and has some really good art to go with it. I'd second the recommendation.

Vol. 1 trade of Snotgirl will be out January 31st next year. Meanwhile, Batgirl isn't out till March 28th. I thought Rebirth was gonna fix these ridiculous trade releases.

Owzers

Summer birthday people, you don't know what it's like to have a winter birthday. Enjoy your time in the sun Tetrax.

Apparently #3 was my last pre-ordered issue of Batman, so #4 won't get a chance to turn things around. I blame the announced crossover and Batman Rebirth #1.

Suicide Squad is terribad.

My knee-jerk reaction was to blame it on the editor and whoever the editor was getting their orders from, but the more I think about it, the gratuitous use of flashbacks makes me skeptical that a good version of the movie exists or could exist. It's constantly taking breaks from what little story it has to go to flashbacks that either don't contribute anything or spend too much time on things we already get.

The way it jumps around arbitrarily between scenes that don't form anything greater when viewed as a whole, it comes off feeling more like a feature-length trailer than an actual movie. It's like there's an eight-episode Suicide Squad TV season out there somewhere and this movie is a clip show from that.

Margot Robbie and Will Smith deserve better. Robbie should have her own movie. She is a living comic book character in the best way. But the thing is, you know that as well as I do even if you haven't seen the film.

Also, I saw this thing at 10:45am, which is a great time to avoid crowds, and there were still like 25 other people there. Usually when I see a movie at that time at this theater (and I do that frequently), there's like 3-4 other people.

My knee-jerk reaction was to blame it on the editor and whoever the editor was getting their orders from, but the more I think about it, the gratuitous use of flashbacks makes me skeptical that a good version of the movie exists or could exist. It's constantly taking breaks from what little story it has to go to flashbacks that either don't contribute anything or spend too much time on things we already get.

The way it jumps around arbitrarily between scenes that don't form anything greater when viewed as a whole, it comes off feeling more like a feature-length trailer than an actual movie. It's like there's an eight-episode Suicide Squad TV season out there somewhere and this movie is a clip show from that.

Margot Robbie and Will Smith deserve better. Robbie should have her own movie. She is a living comic book character in the best way. But the thing is, you know that as well as I do even if you haven't seen the film.

Also, I saw this thing at 10:45am, which is a great time to avoid crowds, and there were still like 25 other people there. Usually when I see a movie at that time at this theater (and I do that frequently), there's like 3-4 other people.
It feels like a trailer cuz it was edited by people who do trailers.

Robbie IS getting her own movie last I checked. Sounds like it'll be some kind of fusion of Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey.

Who is actually in charge of trades at DC?

Messi

Harley's getting her own movie

Owzers

DC on top and Trump winning the presidency, this year can't get any better. It's too bad Roman Reigns is on his way to the six man ladder match midtier card.

My hesitation in continuing to pre-order Suicide Squad is the feeling that the book might be happy existing in the popularity of the movie and doesn't actually try to tell a good story in itself, not the start of something great, or as comics-gaf decided ( i am calling it a decision) that it was playing it safe.

Top Bottom