• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

I have to say after reading more about (Suicide Squad)
Croc being a walking black stereotype
and
some sexist crap, especially with Margot Robbie
I am not sure I even want to give this movie a chance. How severe are these issues?

edit: These are characterization and direction spoilers, incidentally. Not plot spoilers.

Messi

I have to say after reading more about (Suicide Squad)
Croc being a walking black stereotype
and
some sexist crap, especially with Margot Robbie
I am not sure I even want to give this movie a chance. How severe are these issues?

edit: These are characterization and direction spoilers, incidentally. Not plot spoilers.

Harley is Harley

Marvel has draconian policies on trades in print, true...and this is one of the reasons Marvel Unlimited is a big part of their business strategy. DC is really great about keeping stuff in print and in many cases keeping prices down...and this is one of the reasons there's no such thing as DC Unlimited.

Whenever I see someone wishing DC would create a competitor to Unlimited, I wonder if that person knows what they're asking for.

Messi

Well take this story: (heavy Suicide Squad spoilers including part of the ending) Margot Robbie deserves better than Suicide Squad's sexism. Is the author full of shit or does she have a point?

She's not wrong but story wise this is what Harley has always been up until recently. There is nothing surprising about her arc in the story. We have all read it in the comics. I also was not rooting for the ending we got for her. But the author seems to not realise that is Harley Quinn.

Sandfox

She's not wrong but story wise this is what Harley has always been up until recently. There is nothing surprising about her arc in the story. We have all read it in the comics. I also was not rooting for the ending we got for her. But the author seems to not realise that is Harley Quinn.

I don't think that's a good assumption to make, especially when it comes to the movie audience.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
But it doesn't do it to any other female in the movie. It's intentional to play up her sexuality.

I saw someone point out that when the two hunky men are shirtless, the camera doesn't go a centimeter below their clavicle, but it goes out of the way to show your Harley's ass.

At least with Marvel movies you've got equal opportunity ogling.

Messi

I saw someone point out that when the two hunky men are shirtless, the camera doesn't go a centimeter below their clavicle, but it goes out of the way to show your Harley's ass.

At least with Marvel movies you've got equal opportunity ogling.

Croc rips open his shirt and takes it off and you see will smith shirtless

VanWinkle

Yeah, I don't feel like they sexualized the modern character of Harley Quinn. It's like the last time people knew her was BTAS or something.

Game 37 of the year complete. Just finished up Dishonored tonight. Pretty good game. Not great, not sure if I'll day one the sequel. Might just wait on a sale. But since I started logging my game completed lists (started in 2013) 35 games was my previous high for the year. I'm looking pretty good for meeting the 52 games in 52 weeks challenge.

Next up are Doneky Kong Tropical Freeze and Bound. (NMS I'll play but will never beat)

Why is this Batman guy so obsessed with his parents? I wish he would move on already.

TZCvM38.gif

Part of why I like superhero comics is that I like seeing artists draw unrealistically good-looking bodies in cool costumes. The more of that I see in the movies, the better. I want to look at Harley's ass in tiny shorts, and I want to look at Chris Evans in UnderArmour so tight it looks painful.

Being way into looking at someone's body doesn't mean you aren't also interested in them as characters. You can have your cake and eat it too. You can think Harley has a great ass and still think she's cool as hell and someone you would want to roll with if shit was going down. You can swoon over Thor's abs and still empathize with his strained relationship with his father. I don't get these articles that pretend that the human brain can't view one thing in many different ways simultaneously.

And I'm totally cool with anyone that has an issue with anything about these movies. If it bothers you that the movie is focused on Harley's ass, that's fine.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I got sad when he showed up during Rises because you just knew that The Joker would've shown up, too.

Lets go to the alternate reality where Mary Kate didn't murder Heath Ledger so we could see him be the main villain in Rises.

^I die every time

But ultimately a huge pussy who got taken out with a taser

They didn't even bother showing Batman cleaning this guy's clock in TDK because it was a foregone conclusion
Yeah, he did get reduced to being a jobber after Begins. Still his introduction was amazing.

Messi

I got sad when he showed up during Rising because you just knew that The Joker would've shown up, too.

Lets go to the alternate reality where Mary Kate didn't murder Heath Ledger so we could see him be the main villain in Rising.

I refuse to believe if ledger was alive that the 3rd movie wouldn't focus on him again.

I think in light of Heath Ledger's passing they made a mistake when they stuck to their guns on the death of Two-Face. They easily could have written themselves out of that one and he would have been great.

Woulda coulda shoulda

I bought my first couple comics in years and it feels good. Wish I made more money because I went through both in just one day. I bought a Jem comic and the first issue of Black Panther.

I don't know where to find scans, but there's this one scene where Jem and the girls are in a pool on those floating donuts and Aja asks Jerrica while she's still Jem and Jerrica says she forgot. KImber asks how can she forget because she had to change into her bathing suit and that would require turning off the hologram.

It reminded of the silly shit from the cartoon how Jerrica would go around as Jem performing and doing other stuff while we saw before she put the hologram that she was in a business suit or something else uncomfortable.

Top Bottom