• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Star+Wars.jpg

Can someone explain Moon Knight #5 to me?

Maybe it's really late for me but the ending was really underwhelming to this arc. Rest of issue was solid though.

Paper Girls #8: I feel like I'm enjoying the mechanisms of story in this book more than I am the actual content. BKV is one of my favorite writers in comics, and I am enthralled by the weaving of the web here. It's like watching someone skillfully and swiftly construct a house of cards.

Squadron Supreme #10: Diminishing returns every single issue. Worse all the time. Nothing happens. And it's a tie-in. Dropped.

Suicide Squad #1: Garbage. So safe and bland, as though the book was written by a focus group. Dropped.

All three of the #1s I decided to try at the last minute turned out to be junk. I'll go back to trusting my instincts.

Out of all the Rebirth stuff that has hit so far, I'm down to seven titles, and I'm close to dropping four of those. To be fair, DC titles have a lot more trouble getting into my system than almost any other publisher, but I did expect to still be into a lot more books than this. The only three I really love are Detective Comics, New Super-Man (only been one issue though) and Superman.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The other day I found out that We Stand On Guard was a BKV book.

ALSO, what's going on with Barrier? The first issue came out months ago and there's been radio silence since then. At this pace, all 5 issues will come out by 2021.

Sandfox

Paper Girls #8: I feel like I'm enjoying the mechanisms of story in this book more than I am the actual content. BKV is one of my favorite writers in comics, and I am enthralled by the weaving of the web here. It's like watching someone skillfully and swiftly construct a house of cards.

Squadron Supreme #10: Diminishing returns every single issue. Worse all the time. Nothing happens. And it's a tie-in. Dropped.

Suicide Squad #1: Garbage. So safe and bland, as though the book was written by a focus group. Dropped.

All three of the #1s I decided to try at the last minute turned out to be junk. I'll go back to trusting my instincts.

Out of all the Rebirth stuff that has dropped so far, I'm down to seven titles, and I'm close to dropping four of those. To be fair, DC titles have a lot more trouble getting into my system than Marvel, but I did expect to still be into a lot more books than this. The only three I really love are Detective Comics, New Super-Man (only been one issue though) and Superman.

I agree with your thoughts on Paper Girls.

As for Rebirth if you gave DC a chance in the past and weren't big on them before I don't really see that changing because ultimately it's still DC in terms of content, with some things you probably won't have that big of an effect on you returning.

As for Rebirth if you gave DC a chance in the past and weren't big on them before I don't really see that changing because ultimately it's still DC in terms of content, with some things you probably won't have that big of an effect on you returning.

Well I'm almost always pulling at least one Batbook, for starters

I'll always try new stuff. You never know. Never ever ever would I have expected to enjoy Superman. Not even with that team. Same goes for New Super-Man. That book had almost no gimmick, no shiny objects to draw the eye, it's just damn good, solid storytelling.

I liked a few N52 things, too, at least at first. Morrison's Action Comics. Johns' Aquaman...for some reason that character has always appealed to me and that was a terrific run. Martian Manhunter. And so on. And I enjoyed DC stuff going back farther than that, too...I'm just saying, I readily confess that in general DC books have a handicap going in with me, and I'm impressed when a (non-Bat)book clears the hurdle.

edit: with some characters, you're absolutely right. I'm starting to think Green Arrow will never appeal to me under any circumstances. There are characters like that at Marvel too, though.

I agree with your thoughts on Paper Girls.

I'm a pretty big fan of DC stuff and probably like them more then Marvel comics wise. I just generally like there characters, world and events more.

That said, I largely agree with him (just swap out a few of the titles). Wonder Woman and Superman are the only titles I really look forward to. Detective Comics is good. And that's about it really.

I'm not sure what I expected but Justice League was such a huge disappointment. And aside from Superman and Wonder Woman, all the arcs that seem to start these new series seem too safe and sterile, with none of the writing to make them interesting enough to keep me going. A good example of this is Green Arrow, which seems to be a retread of a super hero story I've read a thousand times but with writing that doesn't make it compelling enough for me to pick it up anymore.

Sandfox

Well I'm almost always pulling at least one Batbook, for starters

I'll always try new stuff. You never know. Never ever ever would I have expected to enjoy Superman. Not even with that team. Same goes for New Super-Man. That book had almost no gimmick, no shiny objects to draw the eye, it's just damn good, solid storytelling.

I liked a few N52 things, too, at least at first. Morrison's Action Comics. Johns' Aquaman...for some reason that character has always appealed to me and that was a terrific run. Martian Manhunter. And so on. And I enjoyed DC stuff going back farther than that, too...I'm just saying, I readily confess that in general DC books have a handicap going in with me, and I'm impressed when a (non-Bat)book clears the hurdle.

edit: with some characters, you're absolutely right. I'm starting to think Green Arrow will never appeal to me under any circumstances. There are characters like that at Marvel too, though.
There will always surprised during a big relaunch and DC did a good job getting people to sample a lot of books.

I'm a pretty big fan of DC stuff and probably like them more then Marvel comics wise. I just generally like there characters, world and events more.

That said, I largely agree with him (just swap out a few of the titles). Wonder Woman and Superman are the only titles I really look forward to. Detective Comics is good. And that's about it really.

I'm not sure what I expected but Justice League was such a huge disappointment. And aside from Superman and Wonder Woman, all the arcs that seem to start these new series seem too safe and sterile, with none of the writing to make them interesting enough to keep me going. A good example of this is Green Arrow, which seems to be a retread of a super hero story I've read a thousand times but with writing that doesn't make it compelling enough for me to pick it up anymore.
It's looking like a lot of Rebirth is going to have compressed/long stories in order to compensate for the double shipping so we'll what they do after these introduction stories.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Vision is one of those books that I will forever have ready at the tip of my tongue when people adk me "what's your favorite comic books?", it is becoking one if my favorite series ever, I like it so kich I felt the need to tweet King that, not that thenopinion of some random ass internet guy matters to them, but Vision #4 was so good I felt it should be said.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Its going to end horribly wrong isnt it?

I mean we know Viv makes it so it cant be that bad, but...yeah.

Also as much as I was happy when we saw Viv was going to be in that Champions book, im not sure I want a non King written Viv :/

Sandfox

Fucking shameful what a poor seller The Vision consistently is. At least Marvel is letting him finish the story anyway.

Marvel tried to push the book, but people ultimately don't care about the character.

Its going to end horribly wrong isnt it?

I mean we know Viv makes it so it cant be that bad, but...yeah.

Also as much as I was happy when we saw Viv was going to be in that Champions book, im not sure I want a non King written Viv :/
Waid can write young characters.

Rick Ross would make a great Batman villain. He can be a corrupt corrections officer at Arkham Asylum.
Lock-Up
Well now I have to watch it.
Did DC try to make Argus into a SHIELD like entity at the beginning of New 52?
Basically. They made Waller a fit commando type. Damn near guarantee they would have given her an eyepatch, too.
I refuse to believe if ledger was alive that the 3rd movie wouldn't focus on him again.
From what I read a ways back, though I can't remember where so I wouldn't take what I'm about to say with any true weight, but I believe the third film was supposed to be all about the Joker's trial and the Dent Act being implemented.
You guys know this is the realest meme
Bc10vWTCQAAo0Y2.jpg
I lived that life until my high school days.
Every time I hear about Charles Soule on Daredevil, makes me appreciate more for what he did on Swamp Thing. The way he played with the mythology was superb and definitely one of the best things to come out of New 52. He should return to DC once his Marvel exclusive ends.
His Red Lanterns was amazing, too, but I don't want him to leave Inhumans.
Daredevil Annual #1 spoilers (lol)

-In which
the evils of rock & roll are exposed
http://imgur.com/RbY6Rau

-In which
Echo saves DD with noise-canceling headphones which she had because reasons
http://imgur.com/KpvIe9l

-And, my personal favorite,
Renegade Soundwave vs. Klaw
http://imgur.com/FN0P88f
I'm so happy Echo is back.
Gimme your "edgy 90s edgelord grim whatever else adjective we use to mock characters" that you actually enjoy dispite all that.

I ask because this motherfucker right here is cool as shit even if he falls into all those categories

Admit your nerdiness and tell us yours
I like things Joe Mad draws and I also love hoodies
He could really shine on the political parts of the Inhumans. It's rarely well written. I think he would do much better work on Inhumans than X-men
This is legit what I want. A lot. You son of a bitch NOW I'LL NEVER GET IT
Can someone explain Moon Knight #5 to me?

Maybe it's really late for me but the ending was really underwhelming to this arc. Rest of issue was solid though.
The entire arc has Marc unsure if he's truly sane or not, so he finally gets to facing a version of himself that he beats in a fight, travels through different versions of his life, and eventually faces Seth. The same Seth that Kohnshu said was fucking everything up. Except now it's revealed that the Moon Knight that Marc fought is in fact Khonshu, who needs a new body and decides that body should be Marc's. Marc decides that he doesn't want that and kills himself as a response. However, Marc then wakes up as one of his happiest selves that he's had over the years, finally finding peace. Assumedly.

So here's what I take away from it: Khonshu made Marc reflect on his entire life, and in doing so he symbolically puts the entire past behind him. All of his past allies are dead, save for Marlene who just disappears, only to reappear as his loved one in his fantasies. He then beats Khonshu, who is disguised as an older version of Moon Knight, in a fight, proving that Marc is stronger than he ever was. Khonshu has effectively made Marc totally and utterly commit to being Moon Knight at the cost of his sanity, as he's only represented as being "sane" when he puts on the mask and persona of Mr. Knight, thus showing complete dedication to Khonshu. At the cost of his friends and allies, and anything else that would make him "human." I mean hell, he "kills" his past self. He's basically trying to forge Marc into the perfect empty vessel with complete and utter dedication to him, and then Marc defies him. So Khonshu gives him exactly what was promised if Marc had become Khonshu's vessel: perfect bliss and happiness. Or so it seems.

Now we have to take into account Seth, and the role he has to play: he's the patsy. Khonshu fucked everything up and not only blamed Seth, but also manipulated Seth's forces and made everything out to be Seth. Or so we believe. It's unclear as to how much involvement either one had in the plan, but it was definitely a joint effort, though not necessarily a cooperative one.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just spewing nonsense.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Do we know when the whole Watchmen thing is gonna be answered in Rebirth? I thought for sure they would get right into that but I guess not.

Do we know when the whole Watchmen thing is gonna be answered in Rebirth? I thought for sure they would get right into that but I guess not.
On and off for the next 2 years IIRC.

Probably the 2018 Summer event will have the conclusion to it if DC still does events.

The Kree

Banned
Can someone clear up the Doctor Manhattan thing for me in Rebirth? Are they saying he explicitly created that universe or just tampered with it by removing time?

Can someone clear up the Doctor Manhattan thing for me in Rebirth? Are they saying he explicitly created that universe or just tampered with it by removing time?

I think the created part only ever came from a line he said in Watchmen or maybe Before Watchmen where he said something like he was going to go create a world of his own.

Was listening to a podcast today that put Batman in a different perspective for me. Saying it all goes back to that first issue with the random guy on the plane going down screaming about they deserve this because Gotham is a horrible place and they have the hero they deserve and stuff like that. Gotham and Gotham girl are heroes Gotham didn't create like it did Batman. They're just people that had good intentions and the desire to help people and now they're getting ruined because of it.

Makes me think this story is about to get darker and Batman is going to end up doing something dark to win here.

I think I might be in the clear with Overwatch now. I've resisted buying it long enough that all temptation is gone.

You're missing out!

I got frustrated a lot during the beta. I just like the waifus.

I hate shooters that REQUIRE teamwork. Because teammates are always incompetent.

New Runaways sale on CMX. Only single issues, no collections.

Also IDW crossover sale. Collections and single issues. I recommend you pick up Batman/TMNT and Star Trek/Green Lantern.

I got frustrated a lot during the beta. I just like the waifus.

I hate shooters that REQUIRE teamwork. Because teammates are always incompetent.

It's gotten a lot better over time, at least in competitive. Usually people have a good grasp on what to do so you can do pretty well without much teamwork. Quitters and people either not wanting to play certain roles or just swapping out of roles at first sign of trouble is the frustrating part at this point.

Had a game last night where a guy bitched because he wanted to play Mei and someone else took them so he bitched the entire time so then the guy who chose Mei just trolled his own team the whole game. Putting ice block up in front of us and staying away from the action as much as possible. That shit can get annoying.

Lock-Up

Well now I have to watch it.

Basically. They made Waller a fit commando type. Damn near guarantee they would have given her an eyepatch, too.

From what I read a ways back, though I can't remember where so I wouldn't take what I'm about to say with any true weight, but I believe the third film was supposed to be all about the Joker's trial and the Dent Act being implemented.

I lived that life until my high school days.

His Red Lanterns was amazing, too, but I don't want him to leave Inhumans.

I'm so happy Echo is back.

I like things Joe Mad draws and I also love hoodies

This is legit what I want. A lot. You son of a bitch NOW I'LL NEVER GET IT

The entire arc has Marc unsure if he's truly sane or not, so he finally gets to facing a version of himself that he beats in a fight, travels through different versions of his life, and eventually faces Seth. The same Seth that Kohnshu said was fucking everything up. Except now it's revealed that the Moon Knight that Marc fought is in fact Khonshu, who needs a new body and decides that body should be Marc's. Marc decides that he doesn't want that and kills himself as a response. However, Marc then wakes up as one of his happiest selves that he's had over the years, finally finding peace. Assumedly.

So here's what I take away from it: Khonshu made Marc reflect on his entire life, and in doing so he symbolically puts the entire past behind him. All of his past allies are dead, save for Marlene who just disappears, only to reappear as his loved one in his fantasies. He then beats Khonshu, who is disguised as an older version of Moon Knight, in a fight, proving that Marc is stronger than he ever was. Khonshu has effectively made Marc totally and utterly commit to being Moon Knight at the cost of his sanity, as he's only represented as being "sane" when he puts on the mask and persona of Mr. Knight, thus showing complete dedication to Khonshu. At the cost of his friends and allies, and anything else that would make him "human." I mean hell, he "kills" his past self. He's basically trying to forge Marc into the perfect empty vessel with complete and utter dedication to him, and then Marc defies him. So Khonshu gives him exactly what was promised if Marc had become Khonshu's vessel: perfect bliss and happiness. Or so it seems.

Now we have to take into account Seth, and the role he has to play: he's the patsy. Khonshu fucked everything up and not only blamed Seth, but also manipulated Seth's forces and made everything out to be Seth. Or so we believe. It's unclear as to how much involvement either one had in the plan, but it was definitely a joint effort, though not necessarily a cooperative one.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just spewing nonsense.

Thanks for the write up. It makes it make more sense but I'm still iffy on it. Maybe I should track down the previous Moon Knight series.

shingi70

Banned
Batman Telltale was pretty dang awesome. I was a bit worried but they seem to be doing their own spin on the early Batman days, and it helps you can have a Bruce that emotes a bit more.

Why does Harvey Dent look like bane tho.

New Runaways sale on CMX. Only single issues, no collections.

Also IDW crossover sale. Collections and single issues. I recommend you pick up Batman/TMNT and Star Trek/Green Lantern.

I'm excited about tmnt batman but I'm reading tmnt as the HCs come out. I assume I have another couple collections to get through until the time is right to read the batman one in proper reading order.

Top Bottom