• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is here anyone who buys those Spider-Man Newspaper Hardcover reprints and does know what happend to the third Volume that was supposed to release two weeks ago?

Sandfox

Actually, DC announced that all $2.99 issues from Rebirth on will not get any digital discounts (outside of sales, I assume). Not sure about the rest of the line. DC keep hating the digital, probably cause of that ugly ass Morrison Batman Inc VR issue.
DC wants/needs that money.

EDIT:

Occupy Avengers sounds so good...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ers-real-world-ties-reveals-first-team-member

Also, it looks like Red Wolf will be the first member after Clint. I remember people being upset about him "disappearing" after his ongoing was canceled.

VanWinkle

Actually, DC announced that all $2.99 issues from Rebirth on will not get any digital discounts (outside of sales, I assume). Not sure about the rest of the line. DC keep hating the digital, probably cause of that ugly ass Morrison Batman Inc VR issue.

Man, that issue was so ugly. Morrison's Batman has had two of the ugliest comics I have ever seen (that and the Joker prose one).

Zombine

Banned
Screen-Shot-2016-06-24-at-12.07.05-PM.png

Oh yeah. This book is good.

Messi

Bill Sienkiewicz Harley Quinn #2 variant. He is doing the first year of Harley variants it seems and as much as I dig his art it is so tonally wrongful the book and so many other artists are more suited to it. This book is fun. He isn't a fun artist. He is a gritty and realistic artist.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
LIST

Action Comics #961
All-Star Batman #1
Deathstroke Rebirth #1
Detective Comics #938
Flash #4
Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #2
New Super-Man #2
Red Hood And The Outlaws #1
Superwoman #1
Wonder Woman #4

All-New All-Different Avengers Annual #1
All-New All-Different Avengers #13
All-New X-Men #12
Amazing Spider-Man #16
Black Panther #5
Daredevil #10
Darth Vader #24
Empress #5 (Of 7)
Old Man Logan #10
Vision #10

Arkanius

DC is much worse at getting trades out in a timely matter compared to Marvel. Once Marvel finishes a story arc, that trade will be out in a few weeks. They'll cycle through the hardcover to paperback in the time it takes DC to get the hardcover out.

Yeah, I checked when the Batman #17 came out (April 2013)
And the Collection came in October 2013.

Wow.

VanWinkle

WOW. Can't get over how much I'm loving this JRJR art in ASB. That colorist is just bringing out the absolute BEST in him.

AvFijSp.png

That is quick for DC. They are quick with Batman. Add another 6 months on for the paperback.

Nah, it's very rare for it to be more than six months between the issue ending and the trade or hardcover (whichever comes first).

Oh my god ASB looks amazing.

Bill Sienkiewicz Harley Quinn #2 variant. He is doing the first year of Harley variants it seems and as much as I dig his art it is so tonally wrongful the book and so many other artists are more suited to it. This book is fun. He isn't a fun artist. He is a gritty and realistic artist.

But that art is superawesome and fun.

Messi

WOW. Can't get over how much I'm loving this JRJR art in ASB. That colorist is just bringing out the absolute BEST in him.

AvFijSp.png

Danny Miki and Dean White are wizards obviously

So basically if I start buying the Hardcovers, I can expect one book per year on Batman.

Pretty much. DC wants you to buy single issues. Look at how quickly image get trades out. Most of them release the month after the final issue of an arc.

Arkanius

Pretty much. DC wants you to buy single issues. Look at how quickly image get trades out. Most of them release the month after the final issue of an arc.

DC doesn't sell single issues here in Portugal. I used to read Manga weekly (Thanks internet) and I learned to understand the impact of reading things in the volumes and arcs where things are supposed to fit. Flows better.

VanWinkle

So basically if I start buying the Hardcovers, I can expect one book per year on Batman.

More likely two. Although I think Rebirth might be going trade paperback only, going by solicits.

If this means they'll start doing OHCs on some of them every 12-15 issues like Marvel and Vertigo, that would be amazing. Doubt it, though.

Messi

DC doesn't sell single issues here in Portugal. I used to read Manga weekly (Thanks internet) and I learned to understand the impact of reading things in the volumes and arcs where things are supposed to fit. Flows better.

You could go digital on Comixology like most of us. If you are set on trades then yes it will be 1 book a year on average.

Zombine

Banned

datass.png

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wasn't the biggest fan of the bright coloring in Snyder's Batman run in Zero Year, End Game and Gordonbot. Was it really pretty and amazingly well done? Yeah but did it fit what I like from Batman? Not really.

The dark coloring in Court of Owls and Death of a Family were much better.

Messi

More likely two. Although I think Rebirth might be going trade paperback only, going by solicits.

If this means they'll start doing OHCs on some of them every 12-15 issues like Marvel and Vertigo, that would be amazing. Doubt it, though.

Rebirth Green Arrow is coming out 31st January on Amazon so early Jan in comic stores. DC ain't changing shit about their slow release schedule. Arguably you will be further behind with rebirth.

Oh and All Star Batman is getting a hardcover release.

VanWinkle

You could go digital on Comixology like most of us. If you are set on trades then yes it will be 1 book a year on average.

Two.

Batman (New 52 TPB; subtract some months for hardcover):
Vol 1: March 26, 2013
Vol 2: October 15, 2013
Vol 3: May 13, 2014
Vol 4: Oct 7, 2014
Vol 5: May 5, 2015
Vol 6: Oct 6, 2015
Vol 7: March 22, 2016
Vol 8: Sept 13, 2016

Rebirth Green Arrow is coming out 31st January on Amazon so early Jan in comic stores. DC ain't changing shit about their slow release schedule. Arguably you will be further behind with rebirth.

Oh and All Star Batman is getting a hardcover release.

Yeah, they're going to continue being really behind the single issue releases. But we still get two volumes a year on average. And yeah, ASB is getting hardcover. That seems to be the only one.

Is that all star batbro a sequel to miller's stuff?

i dunno, man, that looks beyond terrific to me. Plus it's got a dog in a red tutu.

Messi

Two.

Batman (New 52 TPB; subtract some months for hardcover):
Vol 1: March 26, 2013
Vol 2: October 15, 2013
Vol 3: May 13, 2014
Vol 4: Oct 7, 2014
Vol 5: May 5, 2015
Vol 6: Oct 6, 2015
Vol 7: March 22, 2016
Vol 8: Sept 13, 2016

What about other books? Is it different. Waiting for tpbs of DC books is nuts you end up 10 plus issues behind.

What about other books? Is it different. Waiting for tpbs of DC books is nuts you end up 10 plus issues behind.

They seem to be trying with Rebirth though. only 4-5 months.

Fake Edit: Of wait, I see what you're saying. With the double shipping it would be 10 issues.

Messi

Is that all star batbro a sequel to miller's stuff?

i dunno, man, that looks beyond terrific to me. Plus it's got a dog in a red tutu.

It's good art. It doesn't suit the tone of the book at all. It's like when DC put Rafael Albuquerque on Batgirl and he did a killing joke cover for hipster Batgirl.

It's good art. It doesn't suit the tone of the book at all. It's like when DC put Rafael Albuquerque on Batgirl and he did a killing joke cover for hipster Batgirl.

ah i see. But... should variant covers have an obligation to match the tone of the book? They are, after all, variants.

For example, if we assume that they should, then skottie young should pretty much never be in variant duty (except for Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck, i guess), and that'd be kind of a shame, since he's terrific at it.

Messi

ah i see. But... should variant covers have an obligation to match the tone of the book? They are, after all, variants.

For example, if we assume that they should, then skottie young should pretty much never be in variant duty (except for Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck, i guess), and that'd be kind of a shame, since he's terrific at it.

I think they should try to match artists to the tone of a book yes. But that's a personal opinion. I think skottie is in his own category at this point. Plus when he does a variant he usually isn't the only variant.

It just seems random to have a gritty Harley variant on the stands all year vs the regular fun covers for a book that is trying to appeal to a wider younger audience (there are other problems with that but whatever...)

Top Bottom