• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

MG310

Jenny Frison is taking Frank Cho's place on Wonder Woman covers.

Imokaywiththis.jpg

I like the Sienkiewicz variants...the 2nd one way more than the first though.

Good lord, No Man's Sky is boring as fuck. Deus Ex when?

i mean, those 4 gameplay vids did make it quite bloody clear that exploration and trade were all that one would be able to do in the game, what with the combat vid being utterly awful and all.

ray gigant (should) come out for pc tomorrow, fwiw. Oddly it doesnt feature luchadores

Boogiepop

9 months between Archie Vol 1 and 2. Vol 2 isn't out until the end of December lol.

Their game related licensed titles are even worse.

Yeah, the trades on Sonic and Mega Man seem to have imploded. It appears that Archie at this point, after at least a year and a half of delays, has cancelled everything but the post-reboot Sonic, the second crossover, and Sonic Boom (presumably because it had a short enough run that it'd be easy to get it out). Maybe they'll be able to get those few things back on track, but we're talking massive spiraling delays that still haven't ended, plus like 5 different lines of trades and collections being cancelled in the meantime. It's one hell of a mess.

On a related note, I finally caught up on all the Sonic and Mega Man comics, which means I read through like 300 comics in that line since that Comixology sale got me caught the rest of the way up. That... was a lot of comics to read through in the amount of time that I did it. But yeah, after I made it through the pre-Flynn era things improved vastly, and I transitioned from some of the worst comics ever penned (the Penders crap) to some really solid stuff.

I actually really want to do some research into the stuff surrounding that lawsuit now that I've read straight through, actually. It's really awkward because there's an arc that was possibly looking like it was intended to shelve away all the Echidna stuff from Penders in a presumably more well done and careful manner, but then all the sudden all the characters are knocked out in between issues, and when they wake up a villain has thrown all the remaining Echidnas into another dimension off panel. It's really, really blatant that Flynn was forced to swerve mid-arc and wasn't allowed to show any of those characters abruptly. It's actually kind of sad that Penders essentially violently jerked his characters out of continuity and removed any chance of them actually getting the closure they should've had after being around for so long. Like, Julie-su is a bad design, but she had been around and been tied to Knuckles in the comics for so long that it's actually a little depressing that the best Flynn could do was write in Knuckles having a brief conversation in a flashback with his name-unmentioned "girlfriend" over a blurred out screen. Bleh.

But yeah, I've been greatly enjoying the whole way the world's being rebuilt post reboot. In particular, there's been some great deep pulls into the history of Sonic, like arcs calling back to Sonic the Fighters and freaking Tails Skypatrol, so that's actually really cool. Oh, and the second crossover was pretty much big dumb fanservice, but I really, really enjoyed it.

Didn't you watch/read anything about it first? I always thought it would be divisive.

I DID BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE AWESOME AND LESS DULL AS SHIT. Half the problem is how fucking tedious it is having to recharge every fucking piece of gear every five minutes while trying to shift around your miniscule inventory capacity to make room for shit you need to craft the shit you won't have room for anyway so fuck everything.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't you watch/read anything about it first? I always thought it would be divisive.

This is why I'm waiting for the early hype to die off before checking out if I want it.

The idea of being able to discover planets in a galaxy and naming them sounds like it could be awesome. But it might also be real boring.

The cover art is still lovely, regardless.

My game hasn't even come from UPS yet. I feel like this is part of the game.

That's just the impending disappointment. But soon you'll be able to explore quintillions of barren worlds with the same 5 things to discover over and over ad nauseum. Everything is either a stone that teaches you an alien word, an abandoned supply camp, or a maybe an abandoned base consisting of one room.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I DID BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE AWESOME AND LESS DULL AS SHIT. Half the problem is how fucking tedious it is having to recharge every fucking piece of gear every five minutes while trying to shift around your miniscule inventory capacity to make room for shit you need to craft the shit you won't have room for anyway so fuck everything.

So basically Freeza was wrong again. :)

You know what you are getting into with these crafting/survival games at this point. You either like them or you don't. I personally don't. One of my friends runs a Minecraft server and sometimes I just build shtuff there while listening to podcasts. It's relaxing, like building Lego but not as expensive. A whole €60 game of that BUT ALSO SPACE is a tough sell IMO. It really just makes me want to go back to FTL.

Looking forward to Deus Ex, though worried a tiny bit about the PC port. It's Nixxes so it should be alright though. Other than that, not much. Hearthstone adventure this week as well, yay.

I would highly recommend No Man's Sky to people who enjoy such activities as watching paint dry, as well as those who like to watch grass grow.

The install size on PS4 is 4.2GB. 4.2GB for a game with quintillions of planets? That's more re-used textures than a Bioware game.

Sandfox

Comixology has been slacking on sales for the past week for so.

Overwatch is a good pick, but having no game to play would still be more enjoyable than NMS.

I'll probably get it tomorrow then. I was trying to decide whether I wanted to go PC or PS4 and I think I'll go with PS4.

Hagi

Bill Sienkiewicz Harley Quinn #2 variant. He is doing the first year of Harley variants it seems and as much as I dig his art it is so tonally wrongful the book and so many other artists are more suited to it. This book is fun. He isn't a fun artist. He is a gritty and realistic artist.

wow this is cool as fuck

I always thought Variants were just cool art you could buy instead of the proper cover. Can't say I care about tone when I'm used to covers having shit that isn't even in the actual books on the front. Each to their own and all that though. The only variant I think I even own now is the amazing one Darwyn Cooke (RIP) did for Batman #37.

TheFlow

Banned
Comixology has been slacking on sales for the past week for so.

I'll probably get it tomorrow then. I was trying to decide whether I wanted to go PC or PS4 and I think I'll go with PS4.

I think the average person would need a break after the huge bombardment of sales we got the past month or so.

The only thing that didn't go on sale were some boom titles and archie properties. Even Marvel recently had B1g1 free

Hah. Well in the meantime I playing more Donkey Kong Tropical freeze.

Great game

And hey, more power to ya'll who enjoy NMS. I can see an appeal. Come home from work, dont want nothing too taxing, just want sit in front of the big HDTV, get some nice headphones, explore shit with no time table and shit. Its not for me, but I get it.

Great game

And hey, more power to ya'll who enjoy NMS. I can see an appeal. Come home from work, dont want nothing too taxing, just want sit in front of the big HDTV, get some nice headphones, explore shit with no time table and shit. Its not for me, but I get it.

It's not even that. It's just how barren things are, and every single discovery outside of what bizarre-looking animals you'll find falls into one of only a few categories. By hour #3, everything was "oh, ANOTHER alien word."

"oh, ANOTHER" disembodied story bit."

"oh, ANOTHER abandoned campsite."

I soon realized I'd already basically seen everything before my second hour was up. Okay, I'm done ranting about it. I was just hoping for a game that was a lot more interesting than a collecting/crafting bonanza game like Minecraft. If there were fewer planets and an online component that made running into other people not all too uncommon, I'd have been all-in. The universe just feels so empty and lifeless.

Messi

It's not even that. It's just how barren things are, and every single discovery outside of what bizarre-looking animals you'll find falls into one of only a few categories. By hour #3, everything was "oh, ANOTHER alien word."

"oh, ANOTHER" disembodied story bit."

"oh, ANOTHER abandoned campsite."

I soon realized I'd already basically seen everything before my second hour was up. Okay, I'm done ranting about it. I was just hoping for a game that was a lot more interesting than a collecting/crafting bonanza game like Minecraft. If there were fewer planets and an online component that made running into other people not all too uncommon, I'd have been all-in. The universe just feels so empty and lifeless.

Seen this coming a mile away. The game had danger signs all over it for me.

Picked up Casanova and Paper Girls from the library. Was iffy on Paper Girls but I liked Private Eye, so willing to try another BKV book.

Now if only there was a way to read comics while driving. Have 16 hours of driving coming up.

Top Bottom