• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Right after I got the first issue of Doom 2099, I went to a buffet with my aunt, and when I got back home, I told my parents how amazing it was that there was this restaurant where you could just get infinite food. They were like "that's a buffet, and everybody knows about them, dumbass".

Also, the thing I actually kept getting a bunch of was chocolate milk, and free drink refills aren't even limited to buffets, so I was double stupid.

When I was a kid eating at a buffet I accidentally put sour cream on my desert instead of whipped cream. It was a very traumatizing experience and I've never had sour cream since.

When I was a kid eating at a buffet I accidentally put sour cream on my desert instead of whipped cream. It was a very traumatizing experience and I've never had sour cream since.

I don't know if I've ever even had sour cream. I've always avoided it. When I was a kid my dad would always use it to drown anything spicy before he ate it. What's the point, then?

Also, the Tassie Chicken bites appetizer at Outback is the best goddamn thing on Earth.

Bendis didn't like the idea of a movie coming out that he couldn't consult on, so he had to get in under the wire and have a Guardians book out.
Well Bendis ain't gonna matter in the realm of the MCU unless Feige wants him to.
batmanspiderman%2Bpage.jpg

Batman and Spider-Man fuck on the next page, NSFW so I'm not posting it
You know Bats would eventually develop anti-Spider Sense tech. It'd be stupid, too.
Just finished GL by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 3, and with it, Johns nearly ten year run on the series. Incredible. So happy to have read it. Constantly inventive stories and expanded mythos the likes of which I never could have imagined. Some of the best cosmic art and stories I've ever had the pleasure to read.
I haven't read all of it, but it's all fucking great so far. Ending was disappointing and Baz was pointless. I wish someone would actually come up with something interesting in that mythology and portion of the DCU. Red Lanterns was great and so was Sinestro, at least from what I understand.

I want my Saint Walker series.

VanWinkle

I haven't read all of it, but it's all fucking great so far. Ending was disappointing and Baz was pointless. I wish someone would actually come up with something interesting in that mythology and portion of the DCU. Red Lanterns was great and so was Sinestro, at least from what I understand.

I want my Saint Walker series.

There's so much there that Johns created, honestly the GL universe could have its own DC imprint. Like you, I would love to see a Saint Walker series, along with several others.

Baz...I mean I guess he was pointless, but his part in the context of the story felt somewhat meaningful. It's been a long time before that since there had been a new Earthman Green Lantern, so Johns rightfully should have been able to create one of his own.

I actually loved the last issue. I'm sad you were disappointed by it. :(

i mean, it was pretty clear from the start that NMS was nothing more than a survival game in space. Randomly generated levels pretty much never satisfy people looking for a carefully tailored universe.

Add the expectation of a long journey to RNGesus, and most abilities the player might develop will have to be of the Bigger Numbers kind.

(pretty sure i wont last more than five hours with it)

The Long Dark story mode gives me far more hope for the genre

I still haven't bought No Man's Sky. I want it, but I don't know if I want to spend sixty bucks on it.

I read some comics. Superman 4 was pretty good, not as good as the past few issues but still good. You can feel that twice-a-month decompression sickness creeping in, though. I also read Tokyo Ghost 9 and man, I don't know.
The Tokyo Ghost seems to have gotten a very convenient major power upgrade.
Book is still real purty in any case.

There's so much there that Johns created, honestly the GL universe could have its own DC imprint. Like you, I would love to see a Saint Walker series, along with several others.

Baz...I mean I guess he was pointless, but his part in the context of the story felt somewhat meaningful. It's been a long time before that since there had been a new Earthman Green Lantern, so Johns rightfully should have been able to create one of his own.

I actually loved the last issue. I'm sad you were disappointed by it. :(

It had a nice moment seeing everything all wrapped up, but Volthoom was poorly conceived and it felt rushed. Like, Volthoom can control all emotions, but fear is the one that gets him? Felt like there was a piece of the puzzle missing. Like they made Volthoom overpowered and forgot that there needed to be a win. It made sense that a Black Lantern could beat him, but then again he was a hard counter to Black Lanterns.

I also wasn't a fan of Hal Jordan willing himself to be a Black Lantern. Another case of forcing Hal to be the greatest, although I suppose Johns' love for Sinestro is no better. Like I said, it felt very rushed, and from what I understand, it was. Upsetting, because it could have been better.

Also, we had enough Earth Lanterns. We didn't need another. Develop more. Wasn't Sodom Yat still Ion? Bring his ass back on. The first few arcs (Saving Korugar, the Indigo Tribe's planet, and the Revenge of Black Hand) were all dope as fuck and some top tier shit (Sinestro humbling Hal will never not be the best), but Baz saving Hal and Sinestro and the whole final First Lantern/Third Army felt very rushed and resulted in a rather disappointing ending.

Baz sucks. Ch'p being his mentor was fun, though.

ElNarez

Banned
Only thing I read by him was Green Lanterns. It started off with promise and quickly devolved into unlikable drivel with the dialogue purely consisting of buzzwords.

I don't think the buzzwords are the problem, whatever that means.

(shit, that's not the clearest way to express what I mean)

(god damnit Narez you're a quality contributor to comic-GAF, do better)

I'm guessing you mean it spends a lot of time affirming the identities of its two lead characters, which, yeah, it does, but, there's merit to that when your two characters are a neuroatypical latina and an Arab-american.

(oh no, why did I say that)

(god damnit I'm french and pale to the point of being translucent, there's no way I can make the case for identity politics in comics without seeming self-serving at best and hypocritical at worst)

(why did I do that? it's not even the problem)

The real problem of the book is the way it shoots any sort of foward momentum in the story by loading every page with unnecessary first-person narrative captions that are made redundant by the dialogue and the art.

What kind of game is that? I need something to tide me over until Deus Ex, otherwise I'll just be playing Overwatch with Sillymonkers all the time.
Third person shooter by Platinum directed by Shinji Mikami. It's very typical sci-fi in terms of visuals and the plot is nonsense. I don't even think there is music...but the gameplay is top tier
vanquish-o.gif

I don't think the buzzwords are the problem, whatever that means.

(shit, that's not the clearest way to express what I mean)

(god damnit Narez you're a quality contributor to comic-GAF, do better)

I'm guessing you mean it spends a lot of time affirming the identities of its two lead characters, which, yeah, it does, but, there's merit to that when your two characters are a neuroatypical latina and an Arab-american.

(oh no, why did I say that)

(god damnit I'm french and pale to the point of being translucent, there's no way I can make the case for identity politics in comics without seeming self-serving at best and hypocritical at worst)

(why did I do that? it's not even the problem)

The real problem of the book is the way it shoots any sort of foward momentum in the story by loading every page with unnecessary first-person narrative captions that are made redundant by the dialogue and the art.
I wanted the book to be good because they were doing something with Baz and I like Jessica Cruz, but the problem is the dialogue and the plot. By "buzzwords" I mean that they constantly say plot relevant terms like "Red Dawn" and "Hell Tower,""Rage Seed," "Emerald Sight," "Rage," "Green Lantern"

That's it. They don't even explain some of that shit. The dialogue is just chaining those words together. It happens on every fucking page (hyperbole but it feels like it does." It has a good premise, but the plot takes forever to do nothing and the dialogue is garbage because the characters just say the same things over and over again.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
All-Star Batman's up on CMX.

Well to anyone that thought JRJR had re-learned to draw, you were mistaken. It's the same scratch potato-headed nonsense it's been for year. Dean White is doing the lord's work making it good, though.

Story is... Ok. Is this a limited series or an ongoing?

Sandfox

Well to anyone that thought JRJR had re-learned to draw, you were mistaken. It's the same scratch potato-headed nonsense it's been for year. Dean White is doing the lord's work making it good, though.

I'm pretty sure it's an ongoing.

This is disappointing.

It's definitely going to be around for awhile, Snyder seems to have a list ten miles long of artists he wants to bring on.

that's a shame to hear. good thing these are planned to be small arcs with revolving artists.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
that's a shame to hear. good thing these are planned to be small arcs with revolving artists.

Yeah, that's the upside for sure. And the Shalvey/Bellaire backup is off to a good start.

Speaking of, there is a page in this week's Vision that might be the most beautiful page I've seen in a comic, and it's all down to Jordie's coloring. It's quiet, and peaceful, and sad and hopeful all at the same time. It's really quite extraordinary. She's something special. Can't wait for you all to see it.

Sandfox

Yeah, that's the upside for sure. And the Shalvey/Bellaire backup is off to a good start.

Speaking of, there is a page in this week's Vision that might be the most beautiful page I've seen in a comic, and it's all down to Jordie's coloring. It's quiet, and peaceful, and sad and hopeful all at the same time. It's really quite extraordinary. She's something special. Can't wait for you all to see it.

Jordie is one of the big reasons I want to read the new Strange book.

I have the first six issues of Vision on Comixology unread so I may start reading it in a bit.

All Star Batman was just phenomenal. One of the best comics I've read all year. He even gave Dean White a critical story beat you don't even realize you're reading at first.

Fucking genius. JRJR at his Daredevil best. I love this comic.

I just noticed Marvel are trying to sell Guardias Of Infinity twice on CMX: Once as the main story but rebranded to look like a Guardians Of The Galaxy arc called Guardians Of Infinty instead of a separate series and another as the backup stories that were mostly trash.

It would probably be cheaper to buy the single issues that contains both the main and backup stories instead of paying for two different collections.

Squadron Supreme #10
And on that day maybe you and your team will face your "Ultimate" opponent

s3ou1t.gif

Invincible Iron Man #12
Boy this book got boring real fast. What the hell? I just suddenly stopped caring.

The Uncanny Inhumans #12
At first I thought; why would anyone believe Medusa did this? But then I thought, "Medusa would blow up Stark Tower." That part's unsurprising. But why the fuck would anyone that knows Medusa think that she would slaughter people and destroy buildings all wonton? That's just stupid.
I have to agree. Every issue is perfect.

Why would I fight you for stating a factual thing that is true

edit: I just realized I'm a complete sucker for these super cartoony miniaturized character stories, I love all that shit. (And I still hated Tsum Tsum)
Dsd7Ffe.gif

Messi

It was nice having Typhoid Mary back recently in Deadpool. Such a sad bittersweet ending to her issue too. I felt very sorry for her :(

Damn just found out blue beetle and trinity come out this month. Lawd have mercy I can't keep up

Also Supergirl which feels like should have come out a month ago with how long there's been ads for it.

It's weird to see what have gotten pushed more and what hasn't. Feels weird to have not seen much for ASB, Superwoman or Trinity, but Blue Beetle and Supergirl got a lot.

shingi70

Banned
Also Supergirl which feels like should have come out a month ago with how long there's been ads for it.

It's weird to see what have gotten pushed more and what hasn't. Feels weird to have not seen much for ASB, Superwoman or Trinity, but Blue Beetle and Supergirl got a lot.

ASB and Trinty at the very least don't need much ad sales as the name and teams will do all the advertisement for them.

Supergirl is getting alot of play consdering this is cribbing alot from her TV show.

ASB and Trinty at the very least don't need much ad sales as the name and teams will do all the advertisement for them.

Supergirl is getting alot of play consdering this is cribbing alot from her TV show.

I feel like Trinity makes since to maybe not push because of it's focus but I feel like getting the word out there that Snyder is back on a book would want to push it a little more to make a bigger splash than just hoping people see it and go "Oh it's Snyder" or "Oh it's All-Star Batman!"

shingi70

Banned
I feel like Trinity makes since to maybe not push because of it's focus but I feel like getting the word out there that Snyder is back on a book would want to push it a little more to make a bigger splash than just hoping people see it and go "Oh it's Snyder" or "Oh it's All-Star Batman!"

True, but they've been pushing Snyder being on Batman since around March.

So New 52 Superman is coming back next year right, seems that they're doing a Reign of the Superman adaption right now.

Top Bottom