• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

VanWinkle

ASB #1 was very good. Didn't quite match my hype but I still enjoyed it a lot. JRJR has the occasional stilted pose, but 90+% of the time it was some of the best I've seen from him. I really love the coloring they use on his stuff here. The backup was interesting enough, though to be honest I don't really know who Duke is.

ElNarez

Banned
You made All-Star Batman sound way worse than it actually is. Which is to say it's not bad at all. The big Snyder tic of "here's a cool fact" was contained to one panel, and instead of being exposition to set up the theme of the book, it's just a real weird but also real cool one-liner. But the book is on point, I love its setup, and I love the way it enables Snyder to go back to his American Vampire "here's a slice of Americana with a twist" roots. Great book, nice quality paper, oh yeah and also Declan Shalvey draws the backup.

A-Force #8 is not a very good comic, perhaps the worst version of a story playing out in numerous tie-ins as well as the main event:
once again we have a hero accused of futurecrime, once again we have a character thrust into the predicted circumstances by the vision itself.
The story has little dramatic weight as the main event has left it in the dust; we already know
how things work out with She-Hulk, we already know that Captain Marvel is actually a nefarious villain.
I'm really disappointed at the lack of imagination here. This team is stacked with characters that are directly involved with the events of Civil War II...this should be a premiere tie-in, instead it is an also-ran.

Paulo Siqueira does a fine job on art, but it's still a downgrade from Caldwell's more interesting work, to say nothing of Molina.

shingi70

Banned
How much did you like Grayson and what did you like of it? Story seems structurally a lot like Grayson in the set up, but the dialogue and writing comes off really bad to me. So like...a less good Grayson. At least 2 issues in.

I really like Grayson, but I admit ly like night wing the most when he's a potent blend of Batman, spider-man, and daredevil.

Bill Sienkiewicz Harley Quinn #2 variant. He is doing the first year of Harley variants it seems and as much as I dig his art it is so tonally wrongful the book and so many other artists are more suited to it. This book is fun. He isn't a fun artist. He is a gritty and realistic artist.

I really like this cover/art (sorry i dont follow Harley at all)
Does he have any books he does interiors for?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOW. Can't get over how much I'm loving this JRJR art in ASB. That colorist is just bringing out the absolute BEST in him.

AvFijSp.png

Yeah, WOW. I dropped Super Man pretty quickly because i couldn't handle his art.. but damn that looks pretty good. the Colorist are the real mvp ha

ElNarez

Banned
the fucking swerve in Superwoman, holy fuck

see Marvel that's the kind of feelings you can instill in people by not blabbing to the press about everything in hopes people will somehow decide to go to a comic shop all of a sudden

I really like Grayson, but I admit ly like night wing the most when he's a potent blend of Batman, spider-man, and daredevil.

It's still mostly up in the air how it will shake out but right now it feels a lot like Grayson just now in a costume with a secret identity. He's working for an organization to take them out from the inside and is saddled with a partner he doesn't like but could learn something from in the mean time. The only reason I say it's not as good as Grayson because Seeleys humor has a way of seeming very forced and cringey.

the fucking swerve in Superwoman, holy fuck

see Marvel that's the kind of feelings you can instill in people by not blabbing to the press about everything in hopes people will somehow decide to go to a comic shop all of a sudden

Did all that come about early? I feel like all that buzz about it came about the day it released.

ElNarez

Banned
yo, drop everything, pick up Black Monday Murders

Hickman does it again with the impeccably designed thick book that builds its world and the rules of that world with ruthless efficiency. It is way my shit.

I'm going to hit myself in the shins with a baseball bat once for every dollar I spent on The Accused, to discourage myself from buying tie-ins that sound bad from the moment they are announced.

Having Daredevil act as prosecutor in the trial of Clint Barton makes no sense and it's dumb to publish a comic that wants me to think about that for more than half a second. The comic justifies it by pointing to
Matt's experience with super hero cases, when this is actually the first thing that would disqualify him. It would be relatively simple to point to several comics in which Matt acted as defense attorney for Hawkeye's superfriends, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has represented Hawkeye himself at some point.

The trial story is robbed of its natural narrative drama because we already know from the main event that
Hawkeye will be acquitted,
so of course there has to be
a grand conspiracy working to ensure Hawkeye is convicted. Apparently they feel they need to lock Hawkeye up to justify bringing back the Superhuman Registration Act. First of all fuck Marvel for referencing the SRA in CWII and for actually calling it SRA II (they try to throw a lampshade on this but it's still dumb). Second, I don't know why the hell they need to convict Hawkeye to warrant this legislation given the way these characters have been conducting themselves lately. The terrigen mist fiasco alone should be enough to whip people into a frenzy.

Oh, and it turns out the real reason these conspiring forces recruit Murdock for the case is that they think he'll be easy to manipulate, so apparently they didn't actually do any research on him at all and simply drew his name from a hat.

One blind lawyer out of five blind lawyers

Messi

Hickman does it again with the impeccably designed thick book that builds its world and the rules of that world with ruthless efficiency. It is way my shit.

I don't trust him not to drop it. Will read when finished though .

A-Force #8 is not a very good comic, perhaps the worst version of a story playing out in numerous tie-ins as well as the main event:
once again we have a hero accused of futurecrime, once again we have a character thrust into the predicted circumstances by the vision itself.
The story has little dramatic weight as the main event has left it in the dust; we already know
how things work out with She-Hulk, we already know that Captain Marvel is actually a nefarious villain.
I'm really disappointed at the lack of imagination here. This team is stacked with characters that are directly involved with the events of Civil War II...this should be a premiere tie-in, instead it is an also-ran.

Paulo Siqueira does a fine job on art, but it's still a downgrade from Caldwell's more interesting work, to say nothing of Molina.
New artist, right? The books looks to be ending in 2 issues and wasn't announced as returning in Now! 2.0 at the Women Of Marvel panel where it was first unveiled last year IIRC so its probably dead. Without GWW fighting for it as the main writer while also doing Ms. Marvel, Marvel not hiring a bunch more female writers and sales dropping, Thompson probably had to leave to do Hawkeye instead.

I'm going to hit myself in the shins with a baseball bat once for every dollar I spent on The Accused, to discourage myself from buying tie-ins that sound bad from the moment they are announced.

Having Daredevil act as prosecutor in the trial of Clint Barton makes no sense and it's dumb to publish a comic that wants me to think about that for more than half a second. The comic justifies it by pointing to
Matt's experience with super hero cases, when this is actually the first thing that would disqualify him. It would be relatively simple to point to several comics in which Matt acted as defense attorney for Hawkeye's superfriends, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has represented Hawkeye himself at some point.

The trial story is robbed of its natural narrative drama because we already know from the main event that
Hawkeye will be acquitted,
so of course there has to be
a grand conspiracy working to ensure Hawkeye is convicted. Apparently they feel they need to lock Hawkeye up to justify bringing back the Superhuman Registration Act. First of all fuck Marvel for referencing the SRA in CWII and for actually calling it SRA II (they try to throw a lampshade on this but it's still dumb). Second, I don't know why the hell they need to convict Hawkeye to warrant this legislation given the way these characters have been conducting themselves lately. The terrigen mist fiasco alone should be enough to whip people into a frenzy.

Oh, and it turns out the real reason these conspiring forces recruit Murdock for the case is that they think he'll be easy to manipulate, so apparently they didn't actually do any research on him at all and simply drew his name from a hat.

One blind lawyer out of five blind lawyers

Maybe it is time to for you to take a break from all books that have Daredevil in it...

And I will forget all of it between issues if I don't want for it to be over first.

New artist, right? The books looks to be ending in 2 issues and wasn't announced as returning in Now! 2.0 at the Women Of Marvel panel where it was first unveiled last year IIRC so its probably dead. Without GWW fighting for it as the main writer and Marvel not hiring more female writer Thompson probably had to leave to do Hawkeye.

Oh yeah it's surely dead, and it's probably for the best. Thompson doesn't seem to get any of these characters (especially Singularity), and I don't think she has much confidence in the core concept behind the team either. The team is just sort of there; as the characters divided themselves along CWII battle lines in this issue I was baffled that they still considered themselves a unit at all. This book has never lived up to the promise of the Secret Wars mini.

Maybe it is time to for you to take a break from all books that have Daredevil in it...

I also picked up Daredevil #10 today >.> It's a new arc which, given how things have gone thus far, is basically a coin toss. I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm only human.

edit: In defense of The Accused (harrr!), it's not nearly as bad as Daredevil Annual #1.

Since nobody answered my questioned regarding TT: EO 2's art I bought it and can safely say it doesn't look bad. Still a downgrade to Dodson.

Burnham covers 2000 AD Prog 2000:

The 2000th issue of "2000 AD" includes:

A special one-off Judge Dredd story from creators John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra

Pat Mills and Kevin O’Neill reunite for a special Nemesis the Warlock story

Psi-Judge Anderson has another psychic case from Alan Grant and David Roach

Sinister Dexter hit the road, courtesy of Dan Abnett and Mark Sexton

A mysterious prisoner has a tale to tell in Rogue Trooper: Ghosts of Nu Earth by Gordon Rennie and Richard Elson

Brand-new identity-theft thriller Counterfeit Girl by Peter Milligan and Rufus Dayglo debuts.

Plus, interlude pages from Brian Bolland, Mick McMahon, Dave Gibbons, Robin Smith, and more.

"2000 AD" Prog 2000 hits stands on September 28.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...2000-ad-cover-for-milestone-issue-judge-dredd

Messi

New artist, right? The books looks to be ending in 2 issues and wasn't announced as returning in Now! 2.0 at the Women Of Marvel panel where it was first unveiled last year IIRC so its probably dead. Without GWW fighting for it as the main writer while also doing Ms. Marvel, Marvel not hiring a bunch more female writers and sales dropping, Thompson probably had to leave to do Hawkeye instead.

Marguerite Bennett was the reason the book rocked when it started. The quality tanked the second she left. The book lost its heart

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So when Cyclops wakes suddenly up at night, does he blast through the floor with his beam or does he sleep with visior?
Or is it the job of his current girlfried to turn his beam off?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So when Cyclops wakes suddenly up at night, does he blast through the floor with his beam or does he sleep with visior?
Or is it the job of his current girlfried to turn his beam off?

Emergency rose quartz contacts? I think those were a thing once.

Edit: I got rose quartz from Steven Universe, but I can't for the life of me remember the actual thing.

Got round to seeing Suicide Squad. It wasn't terrible but it's not something I'd be rushing to rewatch. Liked Robbie, Smith and Leto but it seemed like they were trying to one up BvS's editing problems. How many popular songs did they need to fit in?

Also got my copy of No Man's Sky. Except they sent me two by accident and have only charged me for one. What to do...

Top Bottom