• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Mindwipe

Honestly I don't think he's quite old enough for Hawkguy.

Then again, the older you make Hawkguy in live action the weirder his and Kate's relationship gets.

Messi

These pics made me want something I can't have.

tumblr_nrarbu8O451qjcqgvo1_r1_1280.png
tumblr_nrysk9od7F1qjcqgvo1_r2_1280.png

Malyse

Honestly I don't think he's quite old enough for Hawkguy.

Then again, the older you make Hawkguy in live action the weirder his and Kate's relationship gets.

Well, Adrianne Palicki is 33 and Hawkguy married Bobbi in the comics. I think 36 works in this case.

----

on the side, I love characters like America Chavez and Harley Quinn who actually change outfits in virtually every appearance.

Got my big box of the Scott Snyder New 52 run today. Came out to like $3.20 an issue so I'm happy. Now to figure out how to display them.

Whut.

So we're already hating Luke? Naw, I can't get down with this.
I didn't like either season of Daredevil. Jessica Jones was much better, but still flawed. Luke Cage and Iron Fist look even worse than Daredevil based on the trailers I've seen. The one good thing I'll say about Luke Cage is they have some good music in that latest trailer.

kmfdmpig

I don't want anything good to become a Netflix Marvel show because Netflix Marvel shows are all dour and miserable.

If they took a character like Kamala Khan and turned her into a brooding person that would be one thing, but Daredevil (aside from one recent Waid run) is always dark and depressing. Jessica Jones was a self-loathing alcoholic in the comic. The tone of those shows seemed pretty appropriate for the characters. I thought Daredevil was quite good and Jessica Jones was fairly good. They may be dark, but they get quality actors and are competently made.

I was super skeptical of Gadot playing Wonder Woman too, but everything we've seen so far works. You can make good movies around actors that have limited talent. I don't care about what Gadot isn't good at if those are things the movie I'm watching isn't asking her to do.

I'm keeping the faith with Wonder Woman. This is going to be the one. This is going to be the first good movie in DC's new shared universe. I'm going to will it to be with positive thinking.

Sou Da

Oh shit Morrison's Freedom Fighters are getting a push and an animated series?

The Ray is going to be the first gay superhero to lead an animated show, what a time to be alive.

Happy birthday Tyrant!

Hey I read some comics last night. And I was glad to read all three of them, even if I only ended up loving one of them, so...phew. Comics saved.

ANAD Avengers #13: This was pretty good. I was relieved it's not actually another tie-in, because I'm starting to think there are only so many stories to tell in the framework of CWII and I feel like I'm already reading all of them. CWII is referenced, yeah, but it's not what the book is about. Instead, this is a somewhat personal story featuring The Vision, and I appreciated the notes of characterization from the solo series. I feel like Tom King is delivering a defining take on the character, so it's nice to see other writers utilizing it (granted, this also evokes the Vision story from Avengers #0, and it's meant to).

While the characterization was excellent, and it's always refreshing to spend real time with one or two members of a larger team like this, the story that is unfolding with this particular character over ANAD doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
The Vision is still really steamed Kang was able to mind control him, so he has decided to travel through time and wipe Kang out of existence. He even uses a fucking time platform as if Age of Ultron didn't just happen.
This is supposed to be a supremely logical and rational character? No longer slave to his emotions? His actions don't seem consistent with any of that. I also thought it was pretty convenient that
Vision decides it's fine to listen to the weird black phantom dude, maybe it will be in the end, but right now there is every reason to be suspicious of that character and everything he says, and Vision barely raises an eyebrow.

I'm trying to give this story some room, there's obviously more going on here than we can see right now. And it was a refreshing change of pace with nice art. But I'm skeptical that Vision's thought process will actually be justified in the end.

ANAD Avengers Annual #1: This was a treat. Faith in annuals restored! This is how you should do them! Not one of these vignettes is a stinker, and most of them are good to great. The premise is delightful and opens things up to some really fun, dynamic storytelling. I honestly don't want to give anything away but the
She-Hulk
story was my favorite. If you enjoy quirky anthologies like Secret Wars Love, I recommend checking this out.

All-Star Batman #1: Promising start. THANK GOD Snyder is still writing a solo Batman book. This issue has some weak spots but, unlike the situation with King in which I keep waiting for the writer to deliver the talent I know he has, I don't need to simply hope. I can see the talent. It's on the page.

I am not sure on the premise -
Batman and Two-Face road-trip-on-the-run
- but I love how Snyder exploits the character (Two-Face) to make it happen, giving us a story where
Two-Face and Harvey are trying to kill each other once and for all.
Not that we haven't been here before, and it's not like there's any actual chance
Two-Face is going to go away forever or anything like that.
Two-Face's dialogue is so damn good it sold me on the whole thing despite my misgivings, and I look forward to seeing where it twists and turns from here.

I don't often comment on art. I agree with those for whom JRJR is very much a hit-and-miss artist. But I felt he was totally on point here, and the coloring really does make it pop.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I gueds Marvel burried Patriot because he is now redudant with the actual Captain America.
Still sad that he is never mentioned again...

Sou Da

I wouldn't be shocked to see Patriot turn up in Sam Cap but honestly I think Marvel should and probably are going to age up all of those YA characters.

I bet that Chiang one would look great if it had a good paint job, particularly on the sword.

Bruce Timm one doesn't make the top of the list for you?

I don't have the Timm one. I should order it. The Yanick Paquette one looks good, but the paintjob looks like dog shit.

David Finch and Tony Daniel ones also look solid.

Malyse

Yes it's in my top five every month. Love it. Haven't read the new issue yet.
I think that ANAD and The Vision are both happening at the same time and that the latter accounts for his behavior in the former + Kang. The latest issue sorta reinforces that.

And yeah, it's in my top five. Prolly. I dunno, I haven't really parsed out a ranking outside of Gwenpool is #1.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Really enjoying the Year One Wonder Woman arc so far. Detective Comics continues to be good. Green Lantern Corps looks promising. Couldn't really get into Superwoman and Action Comics continues to be plodding.

Is Two-Face an especially difficult character to work into a major story arc?

I'm looking back over All-Star Batman #1, and while I did enjoy it, I can't help but think that we have been down this exact road so many times before. It seems to me that, when trying to create a "classic" Two-Face story, writers tend to hit a lot of these same notes and tell stories with the same apparent goals. He has always been one of my favorite characters, and I feel like there is so much more to explore within the framework of his duality beyond
Harvey and/or Two-Face actively trying to destroy each other, or an effort by other characters to destroy one or the other

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I'm looking back over All-Star Batman #1, and while I did enjoy it, I can't help but think that we have been down this exact road so many times before. It seems to me that, when trying to create a "classic" Two-Face story, writers tend to hit a lot of these same notes and tell stories with the same apparent goals. He has always been one of my favorite characters, and I feel like there is so much more to explore within the framework of his duality beyond
Harvey and/or Two-Face actively trying to destroy each other, or an effort by other characters to destroy one or the other
Just wait for when he gets cured again just to have his head once again burned a couple of issues later.

There are like two good Two-Face stories. The origin of Two-Face and Harvey's humanity fighting with his duality/Harvey "cured"/the light and dark impulses of man within us all. Otherwise he's just another colorful lookin' hoodlum.

img_05761.jpg

There was that time he got a third personality: The Judge

tumblr_lyfghz2S6u1r35uet.gif

Sadist

*ANAD Avengers annual

Fun stories and even better, Coulson a huge nerd confirmed.

*ANAD Avengers #13

Everything Vision these days is good now.

* Vision #10

Oh it's on now! I really hope the climax will deliver. Such a wonderfully written book.

* Amazing Spider-Man #16

I think I'm going to hate "Dead no More" with a passion, hehe.
JJJ as usual being his dumb self again, but with Marla appearing, eh. Her being so casual about it is so strange too. Better yet, Electro's girl coming back all unenthousiastic is quite weird too. Ah well. Spidey will get fucked one way or another

Top Bottom