• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Mine's Oscar. It's one of the 5 most popular names to name your kid in Sweden and has been that way since the year I was born. I'm so tired of going "huh?" every time someone says Oscar when I'm out in the city.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I didn't even put 2 and 2 together that both Bruce & Clark's mother's were named Martha until that scene in BvS.

Thanks Snyder.

smisk

Really loving the essays in the back The Fade Out. They are right up there with the ones in the back of Wayward.

Is this something Brubaker always does? I was wondering why there was a random essay by Devin Faraci at the end of Kill Or Be Killed. It came off as a little pretentious (like he often does) but I like the idea.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is this something Brubaker always does? I was wondering why there was a random essay by Devin Faraci at the end of Kill Or Be Killed. It came off as a little pretentious (like he often does) but I like the idea.

Not sure. I don't remember anything like that in Fatale but that is the only other Brubaker book I've read thus far. Maybe he started it in The Fade Out and is just going to keep doing it from here on out.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
As you may know, Marvel's Ike Perlmutter is a bit of a crazy recluse. He wore a disguise to the premier of Iron Man in 2008, and when asked for his picture, they hand one out that looks like it's from the 80s. This week, The Hollywood Reporter ran a story about his, and had an artist create a sketch of what he may look like today based on the photo from the 80s and what people who have met him say that he looks like.

Here it is:

thr-biz-marvel-mogul2.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is that feud he has with some guy still ongoing? He seems like such a dick whenever he's brought up in news.

That's what the story was about. Some kind of legal battle with a guy over a Canadian apartment complex, maybe? I'd stolen the magazine from my boss and had to give it back, so I only skimmed it.

1upsuper

Hello, everyone. I'd really like to get a recommendation on something to read from you guys. I'm a bit of a comic novice. I read the occasional comic growing up and I took a course on graphic novels in college (we read Persepolis, Maus, etc.). Other than that, I've read a few Transformers comics and I kept up with Saga for a while. But today I watched Suicide Squad and aside from some overall issues with the movie, I realized that I really liked the concept and the cast, especially Harley Quinn, who I really had no exposure to otherwise. My problem is that I really don't care for Batman at all. Of course, my main exposure to him is the Batman trilogy (the 80s-90s one), the Nolan trilogy (didn't really care for), and The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, I think. I didn't care too much for Batman in any of them, but I did tend to like some of his villains.

tl;dr For someone with almost no superhero comic background aside from TDKR, is there something I should check out if I really enjoyed the premise and characters of Suicide Squad? Thanks a bunch!

TheFlow

Banned
Hello, everyone. I'd really like to get a recommendation on something to read from you guys. I'm a bit of a comic novice. I read the occasional comic growing up and I took a course on graphic novels in college (we read Persepolis, Maus, etc.). Other than that, I've read a few Transformers comics and I kept up with Saga for a while. But today I watched Suicide Squad and aside from some overall issues with the movie, I realized that I really liked the concept and the cast, especially Harley Quinn, who I really had no exposure to otherwise. My problem is that I really don't care for Batman at all. Of course, my main exposure to him is the Batman trilogy (the 80s-90s one), the Nolan trilogy (didn't really care for), and The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, I think. I didn't care too much for Batman in any of them, but I did tend to like some of his villains.

tl;dr For someone with almost no superhero comic background aside from TDKR, is there something I should check out if I really enjoyed the premise and characters of Suicide Squad? Thanks a bunch!
DC Rebirth:
Detective Comics and Green Arrow.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I just want to read the best volumes of Snyder's Batman. I tried to get through Court of Owls again and I really hate the concept of the Owls.

I heard I should read the 2 Zero Year trades & Endgame - are those decent stand alone stories?

I loved Snyder's Black Mirror, but hated Owls if that helps.

Read Secret Six. It's amazing

I just want to read the best volumes of Snyder's Batman. I tried to get through Court of Owls again and I really hate the concept of the Owls.

I heard I should read the 2 Zero Year trades & Endgame - are those decent stand alone stories?

Hmmm, if you're going to do Endgame (which is great), I would do Death of the Family. Definitely read Zero Year. Stick with it, it's a bit slow at first.

DotF is like a B/B+ story, Snyder writes a great Joker.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hmmm, if you're going to do Endgame (which is great), I would do Death of the Family. Definitely read Zero Year. Stick with it, it's a bit slow at first.

DotF is like a B/B+ story, Snyder writes a great Joker.

that make sense. i loved how creepy he made the villain in Black Mirror so it makes sense that he'd write a good Joker.

TheFlow

Banned
I haven't read it, but you may want to try the new Suicide Squad series.

Dude said he doesn't like Batman and wants something like the Suicide Squad movie lol.

The brutha said his exp with Batman is movies and Frank Miller. Worth a try.

can't let Harley Quinn take another victim moment of silence for Messi

The best: the original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and Kim Yale
More modern: the original Secret Six run by Gail Simone and co.
The deep cut: the few recent issues of Suicide Squad by Alex Kot and Patrick Zircher
The avoid at all costs: Adam Glass Suicide Squad

Top Bottom