• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

After the Wonder Woman incident, Cho did this variant for Millar and Cappulo's Reborn.

VOSlJfL.jpg

Drool.

In trying to figure out all the Secret Six releases over the last two decades I've confused myself. I think what I want is the following:

Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Secret Six Vol. 2: Money for Murder
Secret Six Vol. 3: Cat's Cradle
Secret Six Vol. 4: Caution to the Wind

Right? Seeing that Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places released in between what I think is a completely different thing called Secret Six Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 is making my head spin. But I think these are the four volumes everyone has been referencing. Apologies for probably coming off like a total moron.

E: Just saw BKatastrophe's post. I'll add that to the list. Thanks!
Yup that's the run you need.

The others you see is another and different iteration of the book. I wouldn't worry about that at this time. Stay with the first 4 trades you have and you're set!

BKatastrophe are you telling the group that you haven't read Young Avengers?
Correct. Also haven't read Runaways
In trying to figure out all the Secret Six releases over the last two decades I've confused myself. I think what I want is the following:

Right? Seeing that Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places released in between what I think is a completely different thing called Secret Six Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 is making my head spin. But I think these are the four volumes everyone has been referencing. Apologies for probably coming off like a total moron.

Friends in Low Places is the first volume of the New 52 run. Also really good and also written by Gail Simone. I would read the run that you are planning on buying, which those are the correct volumes.

Also Illuminati is only a few issues because it was sadly cancelled, being that it was too good for this world.

1upsuper, if you want something similar over at Marvel, I agree with JC, the Thunderbolts run by Warren Ellis would be a good fit. For something with a more humorous angle, check out Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer (I don't think anyone recommended that yet and it's great). Though, the latter is just a villain book, not a villains-as-antiheroes thing.

No prior knowledge needed for either of these.

Illuminati was dope, too bad Marvel just ignored it til the Standoff tie in and by then, it was already cooked.
Sadly. I wanted to know where it was going with the whole Hell subplot that Hood was wrapped up in. Also what they were gonna do with
Sylvie.
We got a glimpse of it in the final issue, but the cancellation forced it into nothingness.
1upsuper, if you want something similar over at Marvel, I agree with JC, the Thunderbolts run by Warren Ellis would be a good fit. For something with a more humorous angle, check out Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer (I don't think anyone recommended that yet and it's great). Though, the latter is just a villain book, not a villains-as-antiheroes thing.

No Illuminati love?

1upsuper, if you want something similar over at Marvel, I agree with JC, the Thunderbolts run by Warren Ellis would be a good fit. For something with a more humorous angle, check out Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer (I don't think anyone recommended that yet and it's great).

Good picks. And also Nextwave. Because it's awesome and always deserves a mention when possible!

No Illuminati love?

I'm part of the problem

I read the first two issues and thought it was just okay but not great. Then I read the Standoff tie-in and...wow! This got pretty good! But then I heard it was on its way to the grave and I didn't want to get invested again.

edit: Standoff was a very interesting crossover for me. Some issues were fantastic and some of them were really bad. The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff was awful. I think Howling Commandos had a tie-in...in fact I think it was the last issue of the series? Fucking sucked. But New Avengers was rad. Uncanny Avengers and Illuminati got me interested in those books again. And most of the Cap stuff was awesome.

Because of course a DC movie is having trouble.
God. Imagine if this was Nolan's creative vision instead of Synder's.

I don't know how to feel about that rumor. On the one hand we have every reason to be skeptical about the quality of forthcoming DCEU films. At this point I am inclined to write these movies off at the first opportunity, and this is a person who is in a position to know people.

On the other hand she clearly has an axe to grind, and her claims fit the narrative that has developed around these movies.

I'm part of the problem

I read the first two issues and thought it was just okay but not great. Then I read the Standoff tie-in and...wow! This got pretty good! But then I heard it was on its way to the grave and I didn't want to get invested again.

edit: Standoff was a very interesting crossover for me. Some issues were fantastic and some of them were really bad. The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff was awful. I think Howling Commandos had a tie-in...in fact I think it was the last issue of the series? Fucking sucked. But New Avengers was rad. Uncanny Avengers and Illuminati got me interested in those books again. And most of the Cap stuff was awesome.
Illuminati was a book that kept getting better and better. Sadly it wasn't fast enough.

Also Standoff was pretty great.
This is the first time I have ever seen people praise Illuminati.
I've been shilling this book since day one and will do so until I die. I loved that book.

Because his attitude was what got him the most shit, not his professional work.
It's all so silly, though. It's not like he's a wife-beater or went off on a racist tirade or something. He's immature and kept a petty squabble over outrage going too long. That is such a dumb thing to get hung up on. It doesn't matter at all.

It's all so silly, though. It's not like he's a wife-beater or went off on a racist tirade or something. He's immature and kept a petty squabble over outrage going too long. That is such a dumb thing to get hung up on. It doesn't matter at all.
Sure. I don't think anyone's hung up on it much outside of people who think he's been unfairly maligned this whole time or some shit

Well except maybe Greg Rucka

Those are the right ones.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. My favourite DC book ever.

Zombine

Banned
After the Wonder Woman incident, Cho did this variant for Millar and Cappulo's Reborn.

Drool.

Of course he'll draw a dragon in the nude with unreal proportions.

In regards to WB...I have decided that there is absolutely nothing that could have prevented Nolan from introducing metahumans and whatnot into his Batman universe. Imagine a guy who is used to fighting these psychopaths in Gotham, struggling against human foes like Bane...suddenly finding out that gods like Superman exist.

Sounds familiar, right? Yep. But it would have much more depth than what was present in BvS (Which is good, IMO.) I want to see a mortal and grounded Batman find his place among heroes.

Zombine

Banned
Read All-Star Batman.

Art is great, not a huge fan of Snyder's voice for Two-Face, story seemed super disjointed and not particularly compelling. I'll keep at it, but I'm not itching for issue #2.

Looks like we're going to get
some major character assassinations for the benefit of the plot. Alfred gonna turn on Bruce? This would never happen...sorry Zack.

2.5/5

Vyer

Problems with sexism and the treatment/perception of women in the industry is a real thing.

Tim!! It's happening!

Manhunter #1 is on CMX

For those unfamiliar with this hidden DC gem. This latest interpretation of Manhunter stars Kate Spencer a LA prosecuting lawyer that becomes a villian killing vigilante after she loses one of her cases to some rogue who then goes on to kill innocents. She's a very smart and driven character but also chain smoking trainwreck as well. Really cool.

Top Bottom