• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Sandfox

It's nostalgia.

Nova was in the first Spider-Man comic I ever owned, so I have a sentimental fondness for him, but that doesn't mean he was ever a good character. Before Annihilation, he wasn't shit.
I agree and I don't want to see another New Warriors ongoing for various reasons. I just think it would be cool if they weren't all dead lol.

The best: the original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and Kim Yale
More modern: the original Secret Six run by Gail Simone and co.
The deep cut: the few recent issues of Suicide Squad by Alex Kot and Patrick Zircher
The avoid at all costs: Adam Glass Suicide Squad

Add:

Warren Ellis and Deodato's Thunderbolts

Just read two issues from Flintstones...

It is amazing! A blast!

It is incredible how much Russell can fit in an issue. Consumism, Religion, Art Market, all kind of social critic.

A great idea to set the story as they try to build a civilization, instead of the established on from the original cartoon.

My only (very minor) grip is the characterization of Bamm-Bamm. He looks strange, I prefer the teenage cartoon version. Fred, Barney, Vilma, Betty, all perfect.

I just want to read the best volumes of Snyder's Batman. I tried to get through Court of Owls again and I really hate the concept of the Owls.

I heard I should read the 2 Zero Year trades & Endgame - are those decent stand alone stories?

I loved Snyder's Black Mirror, but hated Owls if that helps.

I'm rereading Snyder's run right now actually. I love Court of Owls, but Zero Year will probably be remembered as the definitive storyline of the run. A better origin than Year One I feel, and absolutely killer art.

If I were you, I'd skip the first two trades and then read the rest minus vol. 6. I know Superheavy is an acquired taste but I find it really interesting and has a different tone than the rest of the comics. Issue 50 is legit. If Endgame is of interest Death of the Family is a must. Capullo can draw the scariest stuff in Batman comics I feel. His Joker, Doctor Death, the Court of Owl masks, all so unsettling.

Man I could talk about Snyder Bats for pages lol

I just want to read the best volumes of Snyder's Batman. I tried to get through Court of Owls again and I really hate the concept of the Owls.

I heard I should read the 2 Zero Year trades & Endgame - are those decent stand alone stories?

I loved Snyder's Black Mirror, but hated Owls if that helps.

I'd say just read Zero Year then. Endgame was fine but kind of anti-climactic and just wasn't all there for me.

VanWinkle

I'm SO GLAD I didn't know what Superman: Secret Identity was, because it took my completely by surprise. It was so unique and interesting. Busiek always proves himself to be a great writer and that's no different here, but Stuart Immonen I think was the real star of the show. Unbelievably good art. I LOVE that it wasn't inked. Just nice light pencils and some fantastic coloring.

Hello, everyone. I'd really like to get a recommendation on something to read from you guys. I'm a bit of a comic novice. I read the occasional comic growing up and I took a course on graphic novels in college (we read Persepolis, Maus, etc.). Other than that, I've read a few Transformers comics and I kept up with Saga for a while. But today I watched Suicide Squad and aside from some overall issues with the movie, I realized that I really liked the concept and the cast, especially Harley Quinn, who I really had no exposure to otherwise. My problem is that I really don't care for Batman at all. Of course, my main exposure to him is the Batman trilogy (the 80s-90s one), the Nolan trilogy (didn't really care for), and The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, I think. I didn't care too much for Batman in any of them, but I did tend to like some of his villains.

tl;dr For someone with almost no superhero comic background aside from TDKR, is there something I should check out if I really enjoyed the premise and characters of Suicide Squad? Thanks a bunch!

Read Secret Six by Gail Simone. There are four paperback volumes. AMAZING stuff in the vain of Suicide Squad.

What would you say you don't like about Batman? I do think it would be good to try some newer Batman comics like Scott Snyder's stuff.

Deathstroke Rebirth #1: Terrible first issue. Have no idea what the hell just happened.

Superwoman #1: Seems pretty mediocre all around.

ANAD Avengers #13: This was pretty great. Look forward to seeing what the secret ends up being.

Vision #10: Just continues to be absolutely amazing. Gonna be sad to see this run end.

1upsuper

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, everyone. I'll definitely check this stuff out.

Read Secret Six by Gail Simone. There are four paperback volumes. AMAZING stuff in the vain of Suicide Squad.

What would you say you don't like about Batman? I do think it would be good to try some newer Batman comics like Scott Snyder's stuff.

I think he tends to take himself way too seriously. His daytime playboy millionaire schtick doesn't appeal to me at all. And he's almost too brutal. Often times I don't actually feel like he's worth rooting for at all. I dunno. I could probably be swayed by something good. I'm just mainly looking for something Suicide Squad-esque/something with Harley Quinn right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying something with Batman in the limelight.

VanWinkle

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, everyone. I'll definitely check this stuff out.

I think he tends to take himself way too seriously. His daytime playboy millionaire schtick doesn't appeal to me at all. And he's almost too brutal. Often times I don't actually feel like he's worth rooting for at all. I dunno. I could probably be swayed by something good. I'm just mainly looking for something Suicide Squad-esque/something with Harley Quinn right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying something with Batman in the limelight.

Yeah I would start out with stuff outside of Batman but you could always go into that eventually. I definitely recommend Secret Six though. Villains trying to be "good" guys. Doesn't have Harley Quinn but you'll really like the characters that are in it. Gail Simone's characterization of these characters is fantastic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Holy shit, one issue of Detective Comics (Rebirth #1) and I am in love. Just made me purchase:

Batman (Zero Year)
Batgirl (Stephanie Brown), vol 1
Batgirl (Cassandra Cain), vol 1

already know Tim & read Batwoman Elegy but I might dig up some old Batman TAS Clayface episodes.

1upsuper

Yeah I would start out with stuff outside of Batman but you could always go into that eventually. I definitely recommend Secret Six though. Villains trying to be "good" guys. Doesn't have Harley Quinn but you'll really like the characters that are in it. Gail Simone's characterization of these characters is fantastic.

Awesome, thanks a bunch. I'll definitely give it a try. I checked my local comic shop's website and it looks like they have two different trade paper backs of volume 1. One is Friends in Low Places and the other is Villains United. Which do I want?

Holy shit, one issue of Detective Comics (Rebirth #1) and I am in love. Just made me purchase:

Batman (Zero Year)

already know Tim & read Batwoman Elegy but I might dig up some old Batman TAS Clayface episodes.
What scares me about Detective Comics is that I don't have the money for the can of worms I know I'd be opening. I don't know shit about those characters, so if it's good, I'm going to want to read all kinds of old stuff.

Batman (Zero Year)

Both Batgirl series are dope. They're so much fun.

Malyse

Batman (Zero Year)

I'm reading Cassandra right now.

VanWinkle

Awesome, thanks a bunch. I'll definitely give it a try. I checked my local comic shop's website and it looks like they have two different trade paper backs of volume 1. One is Friends in Low Places and the other is Villains United. Which do I want?

Villains United is the one you want.

Malyse

Oh yeah. ANAD Avengers Annual confirmed
Miles has feelings for Kamala, right? Cause he wrote that shipping fanfic.

Also, I think Ima hop off that book if Miles, Kamala, and Sam all leave for Champions.

Sandfox

Also, I think Ima hop off that book if Miles, Kamala, and Sam all leave for Champions.

Avengers is looking like it will continue the story with
Kang

Also, the main Spider-Man book has been teasing that as well.

They are losing almost all of the characters Mark Waid actually has a handle on, which is unfortunate, but they are gaining Iron Doom and Hercules. I'm gonna give that team a couple issues. Waid writes a fantastic Doom.

Sandfox

They are losing almost all of the characters Mark Waid actually has a handle on, which is unfortunate, but they are gaining Iron Doom and Hercules. I'm gonna give that team a couple issues. Waid writes a fantastic Doom.

Wasp has been really good in ANAD and she'll be on the team.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What scares me about Detective Comics is that I don't have the money for the can of worms I know I'd be opening. I don't know shit about those characters, so if it's good, I'm going to want to read all kinds of old stuff.

can confirm this happened to me just now

I'm reading Cassandra right now.

the first issue was great, she seems like a great contrast to stephanie brown

yep. hopefully "it" happens in a book like ms marvel so the art is top notch and i can finally change my avatar

JMS' Thor run is great, I don't care what anyone says. The issue where he beats the shit out of Iron Man is fucking awesome.

Fraction's run has its ups and downs. It's okay.

Wasp has been really good in ANAD and she'll be on the team.

Oh I know, I just didn't think that was particularly noteworthy, since she's kinda practically already on the team.

Messi

Well the book is also going to be drawn by Del Mundo so that's another thing going for it.

I had completely forgotten that. Finally a Del Mundo book that can't be cancelled unless it does catastrophically bad. Which... It being a Del Mundo book..

I had completely forgotten that. Finally a Del Mundo book that can't be cancelled unless it does catastrophically bad. Which... It being a Del Mundo book..
Didn't Paul Cornell say this about Action Comics?

"Well, they're not going to cancel Action Comics."

And then those stupid motherfuckers canceled Action Comics.

Messi

Didn't Paul Cornell say this about Action Comics?

"Well, they're not going to cancel Action Comics."

And then those stupid motherfuckers canceled Action Comics.

If it's gonna get cancelled it will be on Del Mundos watch. I say this as someone who loves Del Mundo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont want to live in a world where comic gaf is shitting on Del Mundo.

Edit: wait youre saying his books get canceled not that hes shit per se, good. Bad, but good. Its late :(

Messi

I dont want to live in a world where comic gaf is shitting on Del Mundo.

Edit: wait youre saying his books get canceled not that hes shit per se, good. Bad, but good. Its late :(

He is stunning. He was why is stayed with Wierdworld to the bitter end. But his books sell like dogshit

JTripper

Finished Vision Vol 1. Yup.

*This has been your weekly Tom King appreciation post. You may return to your regularly scheduled discussions now.*

Overwatch is fuckin' garbage for people who like garbage

(bad games tonight)

I know that feel.

Maybe I'll give No Man's Sky another shot.

Nope. Still dog shit. Deleted my save and started again. Doing better this time, but Jesus Christ this is like banging my head against a wall. There's about 2 thrilling minutes of exploration for every 90 minutes I put in. About to accept this game just isn't for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Y'all should play good videogames like World of Warcraft.

bWVCnqt.gif

Civil War 2: Choosing Sides #3
Kate Bishop: Pretty dope even though I'm not too familiar with her outside of the basics
J. Jonah Jameson: Interesting point of view and the bonus of J.K. Simmons' constantly going through my head
Nick Fury: ...yup

A Year of Marvels: The Unstoppable #1
Both stories were heartwarming as always, but after Nova #8, I'll never not feel bad for Sam. Bucky was cool.

Superman #4
tumblr_lyy6rnFJTc1qkx3d4o2_250.gif

Nightwing #2
post-28652-thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-g-g2uB.gif

Green Arrow #4
Dope fucking issue. Question:
What did Ollie do to Diggle that cause him to be so hostile and Ollie to be so apologetic?
Cool, thanks!
Also check out:

Ocean's Eleven but with supervillains. Kinda.

1upsuper

In trying to figure out all the Secret Six releases over the last two decades I've confused myself. I think what I want is the following:

Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Secret Six Vol. 2: Money for Murder
Secret Six Vol. 3: Cat's Cradle
Secret Six Vol. 4: Caution to the Wind

Right? Seeing that Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places released in between what I think is a completely different thing called Secret Six Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 is making my head spin. But I think these are the four volumes everyone has been referencing. Apologies for probably coming off like a total moron.

E: Just saw BKatastrophe's post. I'll add that to the list. Thanks!

Top Bottom