• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Tim!! It's happening!

Manhunter #1 is on CMX

For those unfamiliar with this hidden DC gem. This latest interpretation of Manhunter stars Kate Spencer a LA prosecuting lawyer that becomes a villian killing vigilante after she loses one of her cases to some rogue who then goes on to kill innocents. She's a very smart and driven character but also chain smoking trainwreck as well. Really cool.
The person behind CMX's tumblr account even did a post about it.

Picked up the JMS!Thor issues I was missing in the sale and the new Bombshells issue.

Edit:
I hate that Beth Ross and Olive Silverlock are probably never going to show up again.
Gotham Academy starts up again soon.

tim1138

Tim!! It's happening!

Manhunter #1 is on CMX

For those unfamiliar with this hidden DC gem. This latest interpretation of Manhunter stars Kate Spencer a LA prosecuting lawyer that becomes a villian killing vigilante after she loses one of her cases to some rogue who then goes on to kill innocents. She's a very smart and driven character but also chain smoking trainwreck as well. Really cool.

Kate is a glorious wreck of a person. I wish they'd release more than an issue a week though, it's gonna take forever to be fully released.

A couple other gems are going up as well: the Marz/Tocchini Ion book, and Simonson's Orion series.

Messi

I hate that Beth Ross and Olive Silverlock are probably never going to show up again.

But Gotham Academy is coming back...second semester starts soon

GOTH_AC_SS_Cv1.jpg

14th September

Oh em gee Olive's gonna be a deliquent nooo day ruined.

But for serious I can't wait for that book to get back. GA/Lumberjanes is just not doing it for me.

Yeah, I read it for the first time the other day. You reading the first Rucka trade? I haven't read a huge amount of Wonder Woman but it's definitely the best story of her's I've read. Shame Vol 2's a way off.

Yeah I'm reading the Rucka trade. I wanted to get into it sooner but I saw Hiketeia was long out of print and not available digitally so I just waited for this. I don't mind the wait between volumes since DC generally spaces out their reprints so I always have something to read. I need to get the second Flash by Johns volume still for example.

I also started Sandman Mystery Theatre last night and it's pretty cool. It's interesting to see some earlier work from Guy Davis, since I've only really seen his stuff in BPRD. I think I'll really enjoy this.

And thank you again for the birthday wishes everyone!

Riptwo

There's something about digitally applied plaid patterns like on the Gotham Academy cover that always mess with me. I really noticed it in All-New Ghost Rider, since characters would wear some mysterious plaid patterns that would morph around folds to always be perfectly aligned. Space-age shit, right there.

There's something about digitally applied plaid patterns like on the Gotham Academy cover that always mess with me. I really noticed it in All-New Ghost Rider, since characters would wear some mysterious plaid patterns that would morph around folds to always be perfectly aligned. Space-age shit, right there.
It does look like someone googled some plaid designs and photoshopped it in.

Messi

I love that effect.

You wanna see real bad photoshopping then look at some of Bachalos work

5a694ea38058ca01242718d581529023.jpg

He does it for interiors too at times. Backgrounds mosty.

shingi70

Banned
Barry is pretty bad speedster, Red Wally is stronger than him, and Nu Wally is still getting a handle on his powers and doing stuff Barry can't.

Didn't realize the OT format changed. Browsing to see what Image and non-Marvel/DC comics were listed in the OTs was really useful when I was looking for interesting comics to check out

Ha :p

But yeah the GAF OTs were always my first place to go to see what comics were coming out each month. That's how I discovered The Fix, Monstress, and a bunch others

Did you check out the new Brubaker book last week? Kill or Be Killed.

It was only a so-so start for me but I know you dig da Bru

Amazing Spider-Man 16 was pretty good, though it wasn't very effective as a prologue for Dead No More. Yeah we're getting a closer look at the
Jackal and his methods,
and it's becoming clear just what the mechanisms of that story are going to be. But there's nothing compelling about these characters or what they're up to. Honestly
Jackal
has never been a great character to me, and I'm not impressed by this new version thus far.

I found the antics of Spider-Man in the context of Parker Industries much more interesting and entertaining. Slott continues to put this whole concept to good use, creating engaging scenarios that rely on both Spider-Man and Peter Parker. It's kind of amazing that I'm still not sick of it (though I know many of you are). Solid issue but I'm not exactly looking forward to what is to come.

Birthright #18 was spectacular, as always. I think this issue serves as an excellent contrast to recent issues of Action Comics. This is an action-intensive arc but Williamson is feeding us nuggets of juicy story details every few pages. He's not playing it close to the chest, he's not afraid to actually tell us what is going on rather than dragging it out by inches. And there's enough of interest that he could keep doing this for a long time. The story is pretty intricate for a book that is 18 issues in, and it keeps delivering. I'm not as into the
pregnancy b story
but the main event more than makes up for it. The art is gorgeous, no surprise there if you've ever seen some pages. Read this book.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Glad I finally read some Cassandra Cain - I can see why she's so well-liked. A very interesting addition to the Bat-family.

Gonna read some Stephanie Brown now, feels like that will be a lighter affair.

Any know of standout Tim Drake & Stephanie Brown team up stories?

If you guys preferred the old format, you just had to let me know. Based on the initial comments I assumed everyone was fine with the change but I can go back next month.
Glad I finally read some Cassandra Cain - I can see why she's so well-liked. A very interesting addition to the Bat-family.

Gonna read some Stephanie Brown now, feels like that will be a lighter affair.

Any know of standout Tim Drake & Stephanie Brown team up stories?

There's actually a Batgirl/Red Robin crossover during the Steph run. Other than that, Robin 126-128 was fun stuff.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously, this movie is amazing.

Worst thing so far is that they used Poison Ivys Arkham design and Amanda who looks like the Blob.

If you guys preferred the old format, you just had to let me know. Based on the initial comments I assumed everyone was fine with the change but I can go back next month.

Sorry. I was reluctant to criticize because I do appreciate all the work you put into it every month and I don't want to seem ungrateful. You've been doing a great job and we are fortunate to have you doing it in any case!

Lots of people tell me that Tyrant was fired from OT building responsibilities. Friends in high places in the GAF hierarchy. August has been a mess. A mess! I'm not saying he's lazy, but there's something going on there. This is like when Obama created ISIS back in 1994, or crooked Hillary drove them to ally with al-Qaida in 2004. Make Comic OTs Great Again!

Lots of people tell me that Tyrant was fired from OT building responsibilities. Friends in high places in the GAF hierarchy. August has been a mess. A mess! I'm not saying he's lazy, but there's something going on there. This is like when Obama created ISIS back in 1994, or crooked Hillary drove them to ally with al-Qaida in 2004. Make Comic OTs Great Again!

I remember the days of sillymonkey OTs. Those were dark times.

Top Bottom