• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Messi

Don't know about incredible, but it was definitely a fun book. Plenty good enough to keep me buying it for now.

soft.0.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Tough to ask this w/o inviting spoilers but... does the line up for Tec get bigger?

Been reading Cass, Stephanie Brown, Tim Drake and Kate stuff to get into it but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should buy to read on my trip today.

Hagi

The story is not bad, but I want a close adaption even when it comes to the style of animation, it just fells off to me

The style of Year One certainly has less grit than the book but it's nowhere close to being anime. It looks more in-line with the rest of the DCAU than anything else as are pretty much every single adaptation they make. Killing Joke is probably the worst thing they've made not only because it's crap but because it strips away all uniqueness from the art and original colouring of the book.

I wish they were more adventurous when it came to their long form animated efforts but I guess that would require a budget of more than $100.

Black Monday Murders #1
bFdEkMW.jpg

He did it again. AGAIN.

I need to give this another go as it was far too dense a read to try when I was on my break at work. Definitely an interesting concept.

TheFlow

Banned

Night wing preview looks good
glad someone is calling him out for teaming up with the owls, even though she doesn't know the whole truth

Dc Beating Marvel across the chart? whats new. Dollar share was interesting though.

artist change up was thankfully not on any of the books I read

DC decided to start putting out good books again when Marvel is putting out mediocre ones. Not surprising that they could steal a month. It'll be interesting to see if they get August, too, and maintain momentum.

Nuperman placing high is impressive. Alot of people giving him a chance it seems.

TheFlow

Banned
DC decided to start putting out good books again when Marvel is putting out mediocre ones. Not surprising that they could steal a month. It'll be interesting to see if they get August, too, and maintain momentum.

Nuperman placing high is impressive. Alot of people giving him a chance it seems.

DC will most likely take August too due to Young animal and more Rebirth books releasing.

justice league has no right being so high on the list.

Look I was trying to be nice and not say "Marvel is putting out shit tier books".
Black Panther
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Howard the Duck
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Spider-Woman
The Mighty Thor
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
The Vision

If you're going to look at that list and talk shit, that says more about you than it does Marvel.

TheFlow

Banned
Black Panther
Howard the Duck
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Spider-Woman
The Mighty Thor
The Vision

If you're going to look at that list and talk shit, that says more about you than it does Marvel.
That is not even half of what marvel puts out.
Everyone has there own taste in comics, he could easily find half those books shitty. Not every book is for everyone.

Black Panther is obviously GOAT

Those are the great books Marvel puts out, not an attempt to list out the entire line. Of course they have mediocre books. So does every big publisher at all times.

And if someone finds half of the books I listed to be crap, I think that person has really bad taste and would disregard their opinion. If you're the guy that comes into a music forum and says Fallout Boy is your favorite band, no one is going to listen to you.

For DC's current great books, they have...

All Star Batman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
The Flintstones
Future Quest
Sheriff of Babylon
Superman

DC selling like crazy right now is not strictly about quality. It's about them riding the wave of a high-profile relaunch that people are excited to get into because the New 52 was such a clusterfuck and it's great to be free from that era finally. They're also double-shipping and putting out $2.99 books. It's good publishing. That's going to get results.

Black Panther
Howard the Duck
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Spider-Woman
The Mighty Thor
The Vision

There is a distinct lack of X-Men books on your list. What's up with that.

TheFlow

Banned
Those are the great books Marvel puts out, not an attempt to list out the entire line. Of course they have mediocre books. So does every big publisher at all times.

And if someone finds half of the books I listed to be crap, I think that person has really bad taste and would disregard their opinion. If you're the guy that comes into a music forum and says Fallout Boy is your favorite band, no one is going to listen to you.

For DC's current great books, they have...

All Star Batman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
The Flintstones
Future Quest
Sheriff of Babylon
Superman

DC selling like crazy right now is not strictly about quality. It's about them riding the wave of a high-profile relaunch that people are excited to get into because the New 52 was such a clusterfuck and it's great to be free from that era finally. They're also double-shipping and putting out $2.99 books. It's good publishing. That's going to get results.

too snobby for me to to finish reading lol. lot of what you are saying is subjective. let people do them. no need to call people tase shitty and such

edit: come on now son DC has more "good books" than that.

come on now son DC has more "good books" than that.
If I open it to that next tier to let in books like Batman, Nightwing, and Wonder Woman, the Marvel list grows too. That's when you add in ANAD Avengers, ANAD Wolverine, and Doctor Strange.

Doctor Strange would be higher if we were still in that first arc, but the second was a dud, so it's in the penalty box.

New Super-Man has potential, but I think that one still feels unproven.

TheFlow

Banned
If I open it to that next tier to let in books like Batman, Nightwing, and Wonder Woman, the Marvel list grows too. That's when you add in ANAD Avengers, ANAD Wolverine, and Doctor Strange.
Doctor strange and wolverine are top tier books though.

Batman is also good.

Do you see where the subjective stuff comes in to play? This is why I say let people do them. Arguing about people's taste especially in a community thread is never a good idea.

X-Men are the Los Angeles Lakers. Great from late 70s-1991, peaked up again in early 2000s and late 2000s, now they're the worst they've ever been with no superstars to play for em.

Zombine

Banned
He's the biggest dc comics fanboy on NeoGAF

Nigga cried twice in this thread about making a separate thread just for DC comics cuz he felt they weren't talked about enough

I thought that was Korrupt and what lead to Civil War I?
I like this revisionist history because it makes it so much more hilarious.

GH why would you want to split up the thread?

TheFlow

Banned
He's the biggest dc comics fanboy on NeoGAF

Nigga cried twice in this thread about making a separate thread just for DC comics cuz he felt they weren't talked about enough
I mean if we have a Marvel thread and multiple manga titles have their own threads then shit why not a DC thread. Though we have one now XD.

Surprised we don't have a valiant thread

Zombine

Banned
Honestly I feel like Walking Dead doesn't get enough representation here. I'm feeling kind of marginalized.

Surprised we don't have a valiant thread

That would be a 10 page thread if I ever saw one. It would make the first Yugioh thread look active.

Lets see here:

Howard the Duck
The Vision

Are canceled

Silver Surfer

Never comes out

Are actually pretty terrible. People just say "But Spencer!!!" when you point it out.

Ms. Marvel
Spider-Man/Deadpool

Are filled with distracting cross overs or fill-in creative teams. If DC pulled that people would be screaming but its Marvel so well just look past that.

You're left with a good five quality books worth reading every month out of 70. So yeah?

Black Panther
Moon Knight
Spider-Woman
The Mighty Thor

Doctor strange and wolverine are top tier books though.

Batman is also good.

Do you see where the subjective stuff comes in to play? This is why I say let people do them. Arguing about people's taste especially in a community thread is never a good idea.
There's wiggle room. There's variability. But if you take it to the point where you're like "Marvel sucks right now", that is a huge red flag that tells me not to take a person seriously.

gabbo

Was that me or was it KoruptData.

If that wasn't me I demand a public apology m8.

lol
Well then sell me on some of the Rebirth books. I read the #0 and the first Green Arrow-Black Canary/Green Lantern/Flash books, but haven't grabbed any since, and most of my trades tend to be Marvel or Image. What can DC do for me?

shingi70

Banned
Marvel hit the cool down point, books that had massive word of mouth upon launch (Iron Man, Doc Strange) are kinda just their.

Even Star Wars has cooled down, the line will be down to 2 books come October, and the Rouge One tie in comic was cancelled.

Owzers

I wish we wouldn't argue so much and just acknowledge that both Marvel and DC are awful and Image is our only hope, much like Trump.

The only way DC wins the August sales charts is if they cheat.

TheFlow

Banned
lol
Well then sell me on some of the Rebirth books. I read the #0 and the first Green Arrow-Black Canary/Green Lantern/Flash books, but haven't grabbed any since, and most of my trades tend to be Marvel or Image. What can DC do for me?
Why haven't you grabbed any since? 3 dollar issues and a relaunch is pretty much all you need as a selling point

Top Bottom