• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wanna bet people cool in he exact same way on rebirth? People are always hype for the newest latest best.

Perhaps, I am enjoying the DC books a lot more than Marvel atm though, and that has nothing to do with the relaunch, just the stories they're telling

Messi

Perhaps, I am enjoying the DC books a lot more than Marvel atm though, and that has nothing to do with the relaunch, just the stories they're telling

But they are also new. New stories new scenarios. I remember 6 months ago people were singing the praises of Marvels new books. People tire of books and want new always.

TheFlow

Banned
But they are also new. New stories new scenarios. I remember 6 months ago people were singing the praises of Marvels new books. People tire of books and want new always.
boi speak for yourself. Maybe you fell for the same ole marvel trap. Marvel had been telling you the same story for a longy

Owzers

Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt or comics, choose. Keep in mind that the yogurt is only 99 cents, it's like a digital yogurt sale all the time! Coconut is the best.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I cant understand people who get turned off because "there is a relaunch". Who cares. If the stories a good (or like in you case, not), what a shit reason is that to get turned off?

Greek yogurt is fermented asshole.
PaY40ZM.gif

Messi

boi speak for yourself. Maybe you fell for the same ole marvel trap. Marvel had been telling you the same story for a longy

I am talking about every company. I am not falling for anything. I read the books I like and drop the ones I don't. I don't care how many times these companies relaunch. They can do it every year for all I care.

TheFlow

Banned
I am talking about every company. I am not falling for anything. I read the books I like and drop the ones I don't. I don't care how many times these companies relaunch. They can do it every year for all I care.
Every year? Oh honey
#played

Owzers

I have a great idea for a Batman book. What if a family is walking through an alley and gets stopped by an armed robber like Batman's did, but Batman stops it and the boy takes his advice and doesn't stay afraid like Batman didn't. The boy and his sister eventually grow up and wants to do what Batman does and we'll call the book Batman and Batman will be in it.

REBIRTH!

Batman should have died in the first issue

I cant understand people who get turned off because "there is a relaunch". Who cares. If the stories a good (or like in you case, not), what a shit reason is that to get turned off?
I don't think anyone is saying they're turned off by a relaunch. They're looking at all the stuff about DC outselling Marvel or DC being more interesting than Marvel right now and attributing that to the natural bump in interest and sales that you see with any major relaunch, when other people are saying it's strictly a quality thing.

Hagi

People probably get tired of the constant re branding and books going back to number 1. I dunno it's hard to care. If a book looks interesting I'll pick it up and if I cant be bothered with events well it's not like I'm starved for things to read.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
People probably get tired of the constant re branding and books going back to number 1. I dunno it's hard to care. If a book looks interesting I'll pick it up and if I cant be bothered with events well it's not like I'm starved with things to read.
Woha, big deal. There is a 1 on the cover. Gamechanger.

I don't think anyone is saying they're turned off by a relaunch. They're looking at all the stuff about DC outselling Marvel or DC being more interesting than Marvel right now and attributing that to the natural bump in interest and sales that you see with any major relaunch, when other people are saying it's strictly a quality thing.
That was even a thing up to Secret Wars and people already acted this way.

TheFlow

Banned
Image has spoiled me.

Edit: gameproff statistically people care about #1, rebrands, and relaunch. They bring in the most money next to event books. Consumers eat that shit up

Look how hyped comic gaf got for rebirth and marvel now 2.0

Zombine

Banned
I don't think anyone here got particularly excited over the ANAD leaks. I think collectively the place was like "this is pretty bad." I was still hopeful but a year later I'm like

"This is pretty bad."

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Image has spoiled me.

Edit: gameproff statistically people care about #1, rebrands, and relaunch. They bring in the most money next to event books. Consumers eat that shit up

Look how hyped comic gaf got for rebirth and marvel now 2.0
I know, but why is a #1 a reason to get burned out? Its stupid, I like big numbers, too, but espescially when not even the creativeteam changes the hizzfizz is pointless.

Messi

I know, but why is a #1 a reason to get burned out? Its stupid, I like big numbers, too, but espescially when not even the creativeteam changes the hizzfizz is pointless.

Lets all celebrate Catwomans 52 issues and her 4 different creative teams. Lets throw a party.

Well, it's one of the things that makes comics impenetrable for new readers. There are a lot of things about the way American comics are published that hurt their potential for success and don't make any sense to anyone other than seasoned vets.

Hagi

I haven't picked up anything Image in a while. My backlog is already pretty big and I keep finding older books I'd like to read.

Woha, big deal. There is a 1 on the cover. Gamechanger.

Why do you even care? people can come up what whatever reason they like to not read or drop books. Just shrug and move on.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What ever happened to McFarlane Toys? They used to release tons of great Spawn figures, had one that cost me, like, $15 dollars and it's just as good if not better than figures you get now for $60+.

Hagi

I like to let a couple of months bunch up so I can read two of everything.

I find it really hard to focus at times which makes it difficult to follow books for long periods or even finish them. It's frustrating because I start shit all the time like at the moment i'm halfway through Bruce Wayne Murderer and the first trade of Azzarellos Wonder Woman but want to start Secret Six Villains United, Batman Black Mirror and Paper Girls.

I have this problem with games as well.

Because the #1 Topic is one of things that pop up here regular and its annoying.

I don't know what to say apart from not letting such inconsequential things bother you. At the end of the day it's not your money.

VanWinkle

I feel like if a book is going to be renumbered to #1, it better not be bogged down by tons of continuity. It needs to be a great starting point, or else, what's the use?

And I feel like, in Marvel's case, if you're good to renumber every year, you're going to either sacrifice accessibility for new readers or long arcs with great development. There is no winning route there with such often renumbers.

I don't think anyone here got particularly excited over the ANAD leaks. I think collectively the place was like "this is pretty bad." I was still hopeful but a year later I'm like

"This is pretty bad."

I was pretty excited, I'll cop to that, but you're correct about the general attitude.

Nearly a year later I'm still pulling a lot of ANAD books. Not all of them are great books (I freely admit the X-titles are pretty shit and I still pull those for some reason), but most of them are fun comics with cool spins on all sorts of characters. But there are a few that are really special.

I'd go so far as to say Rebirth hasn't been as successful as ANAD for me. I do appreciate the new price point. The twice-a-month shipping doesn't seem to be working out very well..a few are making it work but for most books it has lead to a lot of stories that feel decompressed and often as though the writer is laying down the tracks in front of the train. Yeah I know a lot of people love Green Arrow but isn't everyone going to look back on that and wish it had all been done by one artist? Most of the books I have tried I have quickly dropped, and there are only three that I truly love. Those three books are great comics, but they aren't special in the way The Vision or Moon Knight is. You won't find that sort of variety here. Granted there are still several books to try, and this is a new initiative so maybe they'll make it work over time. It's early yet, I could see a book like New Super-Man turn out to be something special.

If there's a defender of ANAD around here it's probably me and maybe one or two or other people, and I still feel pretty comfortable defending it.

Messi

I was pretty excited, I'll cop to that, but you're correct about the general attitude.

Nearly a year later I'm still pulling a lot of ANAD books. Not all of them are great books (I freely admit the X-titles are pretty shit and I still pull those for some reason), but most of them are fun comics with cool spins on all sorts of characters. But there are a few that are really special.

I'd go so far as to say Rebirth hasn't been as successful as ANAD for me. I do appreciate the new price point. The twice-a-month shipping doesn't seem to be working out very well..a few are making it work but for most books it has lead to a lot of stories that feel decompressed and often as though the writer is laying down the tracks in front of the train. Yeah I know a lot of people love Green Arrow but isn't everyone going to look back on that and wish it had all been done by one artist? Most of the books I have tried I have quickly dropped, and there are only three that I truly love. Those three books are great comics, but they aren't special in the way The Vision or Moon Knight is. You won't find that sort of variety here. Granted there are still several books to try, and this is a new initiative so maybe they'll make it work over time. It's early yet, I could see a book like New Super-Man turn out to be something special.

If there's a defender of ANAD around here it's probably me and maybe one or two or other people, and I still feel pretty comfortable defending it.

In Green Arrows case absolutely not. All 3 artists on that book are top tier.

Top Bottom