• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Well, it's one of the things that makes comics impenetrable for new readers. There are a lot of things about the way American comics are published that hurt their potential for success and don't make any sense to anyone other than seasoned vets.

I couldn't disagree more with this. The actual difficulty level of getting into comics is so overblown, particularly in the age of detailed wikipedia articles for even minor comic book characters.

When these relaunches happen, it's like they're lighting a signal that my wife and daughter both respond to immediately. Happened with ANAD, happening with Rebirth, and it'll happen again with Shattered Now. I understand this is anecdotal, but I could never get either of them to try a comic that wasn't a #1 issue.

TheFlow

Banned
I was pretty excited, I'll cop to that, but you're correct about the general attitude.

Nearly a year later I'm still pulling a lot of ANAD books. Not all of them are great books (I freely admit the X-titles are pretty shit and I still pull those for some reason), but most of them are fun comics with cool spins on all sorts of characters. But there are a few that are really special.

I'd go so far as to say Rebirth hasn't been as successful as ANAD for me. I do appreciate the new price point. The twice-a-month shipping doesn't seem to be working out very well..a few are making it work but for most books it has lead to a lot of stories that feel decompressed and often as though the writer is laying down the tracks in front of the train. Yeah I know a lot of people love Green Arrow but isn't everyone going to look back on that and wish it had all been done by one artist? Most of the books I have tried I have quickly dropped, and there are only three that I truly love. Those three books are great comics, but they aren't special in the way The Vision or Moon Knight is. You won't find that sort of variety here. Granted there are still several books to try, and this is a new initiative so maybe they'll make it work over time. It's early yet, I could see a book like New Super-Man turn out to be something special.

If there's a defender of ANAD around here it's probably me and maybe one or two or other people, and I still feel pretty comfortable defending it.
Lol at least you admit to it and that is what count. your body is too used to the marvel formula.

Edit: I think the art team on green arrow shits on everything not image related.

Hagi

I couldn't disagree more with this. The actual difficulty level of getting into comics is so overblown, particularly in the age of detailed wikipedia articles for even minor comic book characters.

When these relaunches happen, it's like they're lighting a signal that my wife and daughter both respond to immediately. Happened with ANAD, happening with Rebirth, and it'll happen again with Shattered Now. I understand this is anecdotal, but I could never get either of them to try a comic that wasn't a #1 issue.

I can echo this as well. My girlfriend has no problem jumping into this new season approach whenever she fancies reading a comic.

No screw new. I want long Peter David/ Claremont/ Carey type runs.
It would be nice to get a really long comic run again, and for it to actually be numbered as if it's long.
tumblr_o8vymsnwKy1qhyie4o1_400.png

I love comics.

Hagi

I enjoy the art on Green Arrow but love what Gleason is doing on Superman. I think it's probably my favourite of the Rebirth books. Shame that Supersons got delayed into next year. Has Damien even appeared in anything that isn't Nightwing so far? When is that Teen Titans book out?

It would be nice to get a really long comic run again, and for it to actually be numbered as if it's long.

Fuck I love Secret Six, can't wait to reread it all. That was such a good time for me as someone just getting into comics! I hope we get a reprint of R.E.B.E.L.S at some point that book was amazing at the time.

TheFlow

Banned
I enjoy the art on Green Arrow but love what Gleason is doing on Superman. I think it's probably my favourite of the Rebirth books. Shame that Supersons got delayed into next year. Has Damien even appeared in anything that isn't Nightwing so far? When is that Teen Titans book out?
Next Month. DC yo yah looking like druggies.

Got anymore of that superman? But yea th art on bag book is amazing. Super sons yoingn to be mad hype since hey are both awesome characters

TheFlow

Banned
Conquered my fears today with these roller coasters lol. I always ride one but this time I am knocking them back. Fuck that free fall shit

Fuck I love Secret Six, can't wait to reread it all. That was such a good time for me as someone just getting into comics! I hope we get a reprint of R.E.B.E.L.S at some point that book was amazing at the time.
Top tier comics
How are the Secret Six connected to the Suicide Squad?

There's a short arc where they go up against the Suicide Squad, and Deadshot was a part of the Suicide Squad before the Secret Six. Aside from that, they aren't.

The reason people recommend Secret Six when Suicide Squad gets brought up is because it's a villain team book.
Not at all, outside Deadshot being there and the concept of a super villain group taking on dirty jobs

Best version of Bane tho

3267946-secretsix_009_pg007.jpg
Seriously. Best thing that's ever been done with Bane since Knightfall.

TheFlow

Banned
I'll be in Florida in October for Wizarding World of HP and Disneyworld. Disney coasters are just my speed.
Ooo. Wizard word is one of those thing ever Harry Potter fan should exp. they even encourage people to wear the school uniforms.

Disney is nice but space mountain and the wild splash or w.e you call it with the drawfs are my fav. Magic kingdom all the way. And Epcot for the food.

Hagi

Top tier comics

Yup I think everyone has a book or two that makes them grin ear to ear and think this is my shit and for me that will always be Secret Six. Simone did stuff with Bane I've never seen another writer do with a villain. Him, Savage, fucking Catman! even Rag Dollall great characters in that book.

Sublime.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Old one. New one isn't nearly as good as Simones first attempt even if Strix is amazing.
Thanks. Seems like DC is slowly releasing that run... Vol. 2 coming in January, I remember it beeing 2015 when I first read that they rerelease that old stuff *lol*

Ooo. Wizard word is one of those thing ever Harry Potter fan should exp. they even encourage people to wear the school uniforms.

Disney is nice but space mountain and the wild splash or w.e you call it with the drawfs are my fav. Magic kingdom all the way. And Epcot for the food.

Splash Mountain is my daughter's favorite ride because Daddy always sits in the front and gets drenched. ;p

Neither of them has ever been to Disneyworld so I'm pretty excited. None of us have been to Wizarding World. I've been reading those to the kid (we're in book 6) so that should be a lot of fun too, though I'm assuming they're gonna hold a gun to my head as soon as I walk in there and get me to fork over some insane amount of money so she can get a proper wand

But people recommended Secret 6 when I asked for the besg Suicide Squad run.

Ahhh, I see :D

Edit: LOL, that Bane page
Also because Ostrander, Kim Yale and Simone were all good friends and built on each others work.

Edit: I think most of the volumes are already out on CMX. Which ones are missing?

Hagi

Thanks. Seems like DC is slowly releasing that run... Vol. 2 coming in January, I remember it beeing 2015 when I first read that they rerelease that old stuff *lol*

Hmm pretty sure they have already released it all in English. I can see on amazon UK that the last volume which is 4 came out in May.

Messi

The new run had a lot of delays and then dcs terrible trade release schedule has delayed the books even further.

Yup I think everyone has a book or two that makes them grin ear to ear and think this is my shit and for me that will always be Secret Six. Simone did stuff with Bane I've never seen another writer do with a villain. Him, Savage, fucking Catman! even Rag Dollall great characters in that book.

Sublime.
It also put respeck on Catman's name
Is that Bane stuff from the old Secret Six or from the new one?
Simone's pre-Flashpoint run.
Old one. New one isn't nearly as good as Simones first attempt even if Strix is amazing.
Don't forget Porcelain. I think it's still good (only read the first trade so far), but I think the New 52 version of Catman isn't great. Like, she made him too much cat and not enough man or something.

Hagi

It also put respeck on Catman's name

Simone's pre-Flashpoint run.

Don't forget Porcelain. I think it's still good (only read the first trade so far), but I think the New 52 version of Catman isn't great. Like, she made him too much cat and not enough man or something.

I didn't really mind the newer characters on the team but yeah Catman was a bit of a dud. She definitely veered too far with his new version. Porcelain was cool though. I'll pick up the trades at some point so I can finish it.

Isnt that the new stuff? Looks like Talon is a Member

Yeah sorry I read your post wrong. Volume 2 of the new run isn't out yet. DC's release schedule for trades really is backwards to me.

Top Bottom