• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Nope, going in totally blind. I've been interested in the character for a while and figured I might as well buy the comics. I'll check that one out.
52 is a good starter for Booster Gold.

John's did a series with Booster Gold afterward that was fun. Then Jurgens took it over and became ok.

Booster Gold and Blue beetle team ups are great in JLI if you want to go further back

How are Morning Glories, Southern Bastards, American Vampire and The Woods?

American Vampire is fantastic until about the second story arc of American Vampire: Second Cycle. Morning Glories has really nice art but the story is long, drawn-out and confusing as fuck. 50 issues and there are more questions than answers.

Zombine

Banned
American Vampire is one of my favorite books, and while Second Cycle isn't as good as the first book or the anthology stories, it's still a pretty damn good epilogue. It just goes super batshit crazy.

Okay, Black Monday Murders is pretty good. It's just some heavy reading. Like, Wall Street murder mystery with Lovecraftian-style mythos built-in. Definitely a Hickman book.

VanWinkle

Do we know how the writing duties broke down on 52? I just ask because, like, the Renee Montoya stuff feels very Rucka, the Black Adam stuff feels very Johns, and the Cult of Connor stuff feels very Morrison. Did they each take a character, or did they truly all write all the characters?

Do we know how the writing duties broke down on 52? I just ask because, like, the Renee Montoya stuff feels very Rucka, the Black Adam stuff feels very Johns, and the Cult of Connor stuff feels very Morrison. Did they each take a character, or did they truly all write all the characters?
They each took took story/character threads. So like you said John's did booster gold / black Adam. Rucka the Question, etc. and Giffen did the layouts for it all (the poor guy)

What's funny is what it was initially created and marketed as and what it kind of became was something quite different. It started to take on a life of its own. Also it's a run that seems to have grown more favorable as time went on. I enjoyed it as it was coming out but it was a book that people didn't say was bad but wasn't gushing about it week to week. I think the new format/pace was throwing people off. But by the time it was done people were going "that was great!"

At what point exactly did Azzarello's WW run go from one of the new 52's few shining jewels to mostly disliked?

The point where he revealed the Amazons where naked canoeing, sex-hunting, man-murdering monsters

AND Cliff Chiang just wasn't gonna draw half of these mothafuckas anymore

"you want a sob story?! my pappy was a mississippi snake handler that killed my mammy with a rattler! he would take me nightly to dance about on her grave! and if i cried, he'd beat me with a broken beer bottle duct taped to the end of a pipe wrench!"

i really am loving this book to bits.

Owzers

With Chiang abandoning the book towards the back-half and coming to the realization that the story isn't really shaping up to be much, my reaction after it was all over is basically:

seinfeld-ugly-baby-o.gif

I always wanted to read a 35 issue book about Wonder Woman babysitting.

Starman's Stars my destination is complete. I always felt this arc went on too long but this read through went by smoother than most. It wasn't bad but it went on for a year. And that's not taking into account the couple issue build up. It must have been crazy reading it monthly. Still the end of the arc is crazy good. And that legion story is amazing.

But now begins my favorite arc of the entire Starman Run... Grand Guignol!!! One of the best ultimate payoff arcs ever

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When is Death of X agaim? This thread will be fun when that's out :3

TheFlow

Banned
2 month spread between October and November.

Looking forward to making the ot.

death of X |OT| cyclops was right and you were wrong

Sandfox

I'm probably going to shill the Inhumans for the fun of it.

What fights do you guys want to see during the event? I'm guessing Medusa vs. Storm will happen as well as Magneto getting stomped by Black Bolt, with Logan probably fighting Karnak. Iceman vs Inferno seems kinda obvious as well.

I was driving through Ohio today when it started raining. A car in the right most lane lost control, spun across three lanes, hit the center divider, flipped into the air and rolled over. And missed landing on me and the guy in front of me by about 30 ft.

Going outside was a mistake. I'll stay in my basement and just read comics from now on.

What fights do you guys want to see during the event? I'm guessing Medusa vs. Storm will happen as well as Magneto getting stomped by Black Bolt, with Logan probably fighting Karnak. Iceman vs Inferno seems kinda obvious as well.

storm stomps
karnak stomps
iceman stomps

only match up that might last less than a sec would be mags and bb, and that's only cuz mags got a damn good shield.

i just wanna see someone beat the crap outta beast.

No Man's Sky sucks but I'm still playing it list :(

Briggs Land #1
Doctor Fate #15
Green Arrow #5
Supergirl Rebirth #1
Black Road #5
Horizon #2
Wicked + Divine #22
Gwenpool #5
Mockingbird #6
Ultimates #10

I agree with whoever said Civil War 2 should have revolved around the Terrigen Mists killing mutants.

I doubt Hickman intended for the mists to be fatal to them. Because it sucks ass.

#JUSTICE4XMEN

VanWinkle

Man, the X-Statix binding is kind of crappy by Marvel standards. I'm surprised. Like, it's not TERRIBLE like a glued binding by any means, but it's a big step down from a modern Marvel or DC binding.

Like, look here:

RXscxNZ.jpg

qK5QQsG.jpg

It's like it's got a couple of pre-defined "flex" points in the binding that allow it to open up and not have any gutter loss, but it doesn't let it lay flat well or make for an enjoyable reading experience.

Compare this to a good binding that flexes wherever the book is open to.

Avengers by Byrne:
G3BQCHM.jpg

GL by Geoff Johns:
wwFw7Ef.jpg

I was driving through Ohio today when it started raining. A car in the right most lane lost control, spun across three lanes, hit the center divider, flipped into the air and rolled over. And missed landing on me and the guy in front of me by about 30 ft.

Going outside was a mistake. I'll stay in my basement and just read comics from now on.

Wow, that's insane. Glad you're alright. Hopefully they aren't hurt too bad either.

Holy shit that's crazy! Glad you're okay though.

This is why I hate driving in the rain.

Holy shit that's crazy! Glad you're okay though.

Wow, that's insane. Glad you're alright. Hopefully they aren't hurt too bad either.

Yeah, most of us were driving at about 50mph with our hazards on. No idea what this person was trying. Don't see anything on the news yet, hopefully no major injuries for whoever was in it. I called 990, they said someone was already on the way to the site.

This is why I hate driving in the rain.

US driver's ed needs to start having tests for loss of control/recovery in adverse weather. Life Finland does.

TheFlow

Banned

When I see accidents and stuff like this I always check my local news to see if they made it through. It literally rains every day here and there is a thunderstorm every other day.

Glad you survived. Now you have a story to tell

List time

Klaus 7

Batman 5
Green Arrow 5
Supergirl Rebirth
Superman 5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 61

Black Road 5
Horizon 2
I Hate Fairyland 8
Rumble 13

All-New Wolverine 11
Black Widow 6
Captain America: Sam Wilson 12
Civil War II: Amazing Spider-Man 3
Civil War II: Gods of War 3
Civil War II: X-Men 3
Gwenpool 5
Mighty Thor 10
Mockingbird 6
Power Man and Iron Fist 7
Spider-Woman 10
Ultimates 10
Uncanny Avengers 12

Black Bolt would stomp everyone. Crystal vs. Storm would be good. Lockjaw vs. Young Jean. Karnak vs. Magik.

Sandfox

Mosaic vs Rogue would've been funny if Wonder Man was still in her head. I wonder who Moon Girl is going to be matched up against lol.

Top Bottom