• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

TraBuch

Banned
When comics get taken over by other writers, do they typically keep going with the previous writer's storyline? Or do they basically reboot it?

For example, if I wanted to read Swamp Thing, could I just read Alan Moore's run and get an entire story and backstory and all that? Or do I need to read the dude he took over for and the guy after him, too?

Maybe you're right. There are some Marvel books I still look forward too, some arcs have disappointed me though.

DC's "started" off well, probably go to shit though.

ugh man don't live so cynical!

the present, right now, dc comics are fucking amazing.

we could all get hit by buses tomorrow in some kind of bus uprising armageddon.

do you want to really live in a state of negative expectation?

sad!

When comics get taken over by other writers, do they typically keep going with the previous writer's storyline? Or do they basically reboot it?

For example, if I wanted to read Swamp Thing, could I just read Alan Moore's run and get an entire story and backstory and all that? Or do I need to read the dude he took over for and the guy after him, too?

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is kinda famous in that regard, cuz his first issue that everybody forgets about wraps up plotpoints from the last run that you don't need to know about

and then his NEXT issue he basically flips the script on the entire character's mythos. It has a very definitive beginning and ending, and you can live your life quite happy reading just those Alan Moore Swamp Thing issues.

Owzers

sad!

Now i don't feel like reading comics at all today, i'm going to prepare my defenses.

There's no real rule to something like this. Some writers do their own thing, while others try to pick up where the last one left off.

I haven't read Swamp Thing, but I imagine it's similar to something like Morrison's Doom Patrol. While there were issues that came before it in continuity, you don't need to have read them to understand the story or characters or anything. At the same time, he finished with a satisfying conclusion so while another writer did continue the series after him, you could stop with his run and have a complete story.

You're probably safe just reading the Moore stuff.

Art by Dustin Nguyen with the caption "this is all they do in #gotham":
j7uv9.jpg
Second piece with the caption "#goodknight":

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Bah, I always have dozens of books ready to go. No internet connection needed.

Battery life is the real villain of this story, always is. Well, and sunshine.

I Have 750 digital Image titles ready to go with no internet needed on my iPad.

Edit: 730 Image titles to exact. Plus 48 Oni, 7 CMX Submit, and 1 Aftershock that you made me buy.

Black Panther #5: Damn good comic. I used to wish this book had more action but I've come to appreciate it on its own terms, in fact it's refreshing with so many action-heavy cape books on shelves right now. I feel like T'Challa kinda played himself here though.
Surely the risks associated with meeting with all those monstrous dudes outweighed the rewards?
The stuff with
Shuri
is great, I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. The scene with the
suicide bomber
was incredible, damn that dialogue. So good.

Daredevil #10: This book is always a near-drop for me but somehow it keeps hanging in. Pretty intriguing start, I have no idea who the villain is which is nice, and I dig the mystery. Blindspot is finally growing on me. An entertaining Daredevil book, in 2016, wow.

Darth Vader #24: Fucking loved this issue. Love the way it gears up for the finale. Even though it
referenced the prequels a lot,
I'll allow it because they were used to fine effect. Vader is a total badass in this issue, and oh man that last page. Can't wait for #25. Gonna miss this book.

Deathstroke Rebirth: The way people have been talking about this, I have been dreading it, but...I thought it was fine? It's not a grand slam and I think you do need a grand slam in the first issue of a niche character's series if you're gonna have any chance at success. Deathstroke was one of the riskiest books in this first wave of Rebirth books and given how this was received I don't expect it to last long, but I'm definitely gonna give it at least a couple more issues. Slade is one cold motherfucker (which is Priest's intent).

Arkanius

I've read Dark Knight Returns: Last Crusade #1

The Dark Knight Returns saga is really well done. Loved Returns a lot, I'm on the fence on reading Strikes Again and DKR: Master Race. I've heard it's not as good :(

Sandfox

I think Nick Spencer, Bendis, Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire, G Willow Willow and I think Dennis Hopeless. Maybe more even.
Jason Aaron is exclusive and Slott probably is too.

sad!

I think you enjoy books more than anyone else is this thread lol.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Similar in that it rips stuff straight out of his Batman and Robin run and Batman Inc.
And it calls itself an Original movie... Oh man.
Not interested in any Animated Movies that are based on a story, I will just buy those who are originally made.

Hagi

And it calls itself an Original movie... Oh man.
Not interested in any Animated Movies that are based on a story, I will just buy those who are originally made.

Give Justice League Gods and Monsters a try then if you haven't. I really enjoyed it and would love a continuation in some form but it's probably unlikely.

Top Bottom