• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

You're probably right. I was thinking it might have ramifications in Spider-Men II, but Generations is far more probable.

I'm so concerned about Inhumans missing the mark. Black Bolt is showing that there's legit reasons to be invested in these characters and a unique perspective outside of "X-Men but not really" but Inhumans looks like it's going to terribad.
Let's face it, nobody will actually give a shit about the Inhumans. People will just see them as replacements for the X-Men.

Dusknoir

Spider-Man #19: I get the point,
having Miles explore if he really should be in Spider-Man at all
, but goddamn this issue was a slog. Also, the weird
agent
meeting with his dad is supposed to be
Maria Hill
, given this week's Jessica Jones?

Jessica Jones #11: Maria Hill history, but also an entire issue that felt like a waiting game.

Nightwing #26: Dick Grayson may have a girlfriend, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have sexual tension with everyone. And that ending, calling back to Grayson! Nice.

Avengers #10: Well that was some dark shit.

Deathstroke #22: So, uh...
is Doctor Light still a rapist
in Rebirth?

Generations Hulk #1: If all of these issues are going to be about the current versions figuring out their issues in relation to past heroes, I'm down with it. Great issue about Cho coming to terms with the Hulk. Perhaps the weird issue of Spider-Man above is a lead-in to Generations Spider-Man.

I liked Deathstroke a lot this issue but that last page made me kind of uncomfortable. We don't need in rebirth thou, I do like Slade conversing with him. Also in this issue we can see what taking a book off double shipping can do for the art. Best looking art from Neves this entire run.

I think I need a second trip to my LCS cuz I regret not getting Nightwing and the New Gods special. Cuz I loved Grayson.

Edit: Inhumans needs money to look good. This show lack any of it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
p1vI6KAl.jpg

Once upon a time...

Glix

So I was reading Kravens Last Hunt last night and I'm totally confused by Zecks art.

Some panels are great and some are terrible.

I can't make up my mind on how I feel about it.

That being said I'm not sure JM Dematteis gets his rightful place in the pantheon of great Spidey writers Kravens Last Hunt and The Child Within are both superb and are two of my favorite spidey stories ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I was reading Kravens Last Hunt last night and I'm totally confused by Zecks art.

Some panels are great and some are terrible.

I can't make up my mind on how I feel about it.

That being said I'm not sure JM Dematteis gets his rightful place in the pantheon of great Spidey writers Kravens Last Hunt and The Child Within are both superb and are two of my favorite spidey stories ever.

There is a reason, Kravens Last Hunt is considered the best Spider-Man Story ever told.

Have ypu bought the Epic Collection? Is The Child Within included in that one?

Glix

There is a reason, Kravens Last Hunt is considered the best Spider-Man Story ever told.

Have ypu bought the Epic Collection? Is The Child Within included in that one?

I have this hardcover one:

portrait_incredible.jpg

I got it and "The Death of the Stacys" with the same trade dress super duper cheap on clearance at some bookstore a while back.

Malyse

I really hope Kraven is the next MCU Spider-Man villain. My god it's pretty much the perfect follow up and it's a threat that would justify not calling in the Avengers.

Just read a nice Mignola interview, one of the best I've spotted in awhile, if anyone is interested:

Click

There's some nice details about how he views his *Mignolaverse* compared to MArvel or DC, and some stuff on the production of the new movie.

mreddie

BLACK got a film deal. Oh now, Hollywood wants big films with black people.

Where you fuckers post Blade?

/Not you GAF, Hollywoo.

Which one is that?

I just saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Really liked it a lot. The set pieces and aliens were great. The only downside was the actor playing Valerian. He definitely got the part because of his look and not acting ability. Also, oh baby those albino waifu ladies.

Malyse

Not to be pessimistic, but if you thought Sleight flew under people's radar, a movie based on that book would la bomba for sure.
Sleight was so good.
Still, taking into account the current political climate in America, I highly doubt it would be a successful film.
Here's the thing. Once BP kicks the doors down and is hella profitable, Hwood will be interested in advertising black cape films.

kmfdmpig

There is no way Inhumans turns out to be anything but garbage, take that to the bank

I'm not sure you'll find anyone that would take the other side of that bet at this point. It looks ridiculously bad. For such a high profile production it's going to be dead and buried surprisingly fast, I think.

Phamit

The worst about Inhumans is that someone actually had the right idea in what direction the show should go, but the execution is so bad.

Let's talk about something better:

I read the third ANAD Tpb of Docotor Strange which collects Doctor Stange #11-#16. I really liked the tone and the dynamic of this story arc. It's more lighthearted than the previous arc and that every Issue has a new villain who tries to take revenge on Strange makes it quite varied. My favorites were Satana and the Orb. Is this the first appearance of the Orb since Original Sin? Either way his part of the story is really something. The ending was okay, I think I would liked it more if it was smaller in terms of the scope.

Messi

Tyrant you never posted about this weeks Love and Rockets #3, did you enjoy it?

--

Was a bit shocked to see Rocket Girl on this weeks releases. Went to check when the last issue came out.

#7 - 2nd December 2015
#8 - 3rd October 2017

Damn, it feels like it too. Gotta imagine it finishes out the last two solicited issues and that is it done.

Art is still beautiful and this cover for #10 is lovely. Amy Reeder is great.

--

I hear our resident Taskmaster lover should be on the lookout this week
Avengers #10

Messi

Gotham Academy should be a OGN at this point.

The team on it said before they don't think this is the end. I could see a future as ogn stories. I would like that.

DC gave that book way more time than any of us expected. So I am thankful for that. They team did a fantastic job.

Sandfox

That cover breaks my heart every time I see it. It was the first book I chose for this months OP.

I hope this isn't the end for those two :(

It's too bad about that Yearbook arc.

I'll probably check out the second volume at some point.

Vic_Viper

After reading Astonishing X-Men I've realized I don't think I've read much books with Shadow King as the central villain. I've known he was trapped in Psylocke'd Astral Plane but don't think I've actually read when it happened. Which issues does this take place? And are there any other noteworthy Shadow King books/arcs I should read also?

The team on it said before they don't think this is the end. I could see a future as ogn stories. I would like that.

DC gave that book way more time than any of us expected. So I am thankful for that. They team did a fantastic job.

Indeed. They knock it out of the park with this idea.

VanWinkle

It really is insane to me how...modern Green Arrow by Grell feels, yet also far above most of the cape comics coming out. Grell OFTEN lets the art do all of the story telling if it can do a better job than its combination with words. So you will frequently see two, sometimes three pages in a row without a single word. I mean, how rare is it that a comic from the late 80s has this little word density?

These are pretty indicative of the density you'll expect in a good 60+% of the pages (sorry for the crappy pictures; it's too dark in my home office right now).
pLbq.jpg

q4kV.jpg

gAdv.jpg

Of course, sometimes there are more words than that, but only if there needs to be more said. And the writing holds up super well, too.

I'm just super impressed. As good as GA Rebirth is, it doesn't hold a candle to this, IMO. But this is gritty super street level stuff.

Tomboy: Today is a day for tears! What a book. What an ending. Mia Goodwin is a fantastic talent and I want her to make more comics. I wish there were more issues to look forward to.

Tomboy > Rachel Rising. If that doesn't sell you on the series, nothing will.

totally agree and I fucking loved RR

Woah.

I hate artists who trace. People like Greg Land, Ed Vega, Mike Deodato. Can't stand it.

Me either, seriously.

The artists for the last 2 issues were just as great, Vernoica Fish made #7 my favorite comic this year so far.

After not liking her Archie issue much, Slam! made me a believer in V Fish.

I'm genuinely glad a lot of people enjoy Bendis. He's writing a lot of major books, so I'd want those fan bases to be happy. Also, I love JJ thanks to the show. I'm pleased to hear that the new series is good.

Where you fuckers post Blade?

/Not you GAF, Hollywoo.

Heard some lukewarm (more luke than warm) stuff on BLACK, so I never picked it up. Also, ya know, no guarantee it'll actually release on CMX may have affected that decision. So, I can't comment on whether this is Hollywood being Hollywood looking for that alternative take on black superheroes or if there's something actually worthwhile there. I'll say that concept is insanely relevant, execution is the question.

Also, no idea if it's seeped in Black Mask shared universe stuff

Top Bottom