• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Aizo

Banned
Launchpad, I didn't wake up with a headache this morning. Thank you for your help. I was extremely tired, though. Did you have anything to do with that?

X-Men 2 popped up on Netflix UK recently, so I gave it another watch. It's pretty good, despite it being rather slow and light on action. I checked IMDB and apparently Hank McCoy was in it at some point.
His interview is on the TV in the bar where Mystique meets the security guard.
After reading Astonishing X-Men I've realized I don't think I've read much books with Shadow King as the central villain. I've known he was trapped in Psylocke'd Astral Plane but don't think I've actually read when it happened. Which issues does this take place? And are there any other noteworthy Shadow King books/arcs I should read also?
He was a fairly major character in Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

I believe he was also a prominent villain in the 90's, though he's been tied up with primarily Psylocke and Xavier for a long time.

-Seven to Eternity 8

I found Lovro's fate horrifying. Gave me the heebie jeebies

Awesome issue

-That new Eric Powell book Galaktikon is not very good, sadly

Edit: I am definitely
going to have nightmares about
Hillbilly 7 tonight

I'm really enjoying Simone's Batgirl. She hoes to such great lengths to craft Barbara's inner voice and narrative, that it's impossible to not feel the same emotions as her. You view her dialogue so much differently. When she wisecracks, you not only know she's masking fear, you feel that fear. That insecurity. You feel her rage and sadness.

It's impeccable, really. And Syaf's art isn't bad (scumbaggery aside).

Heard some lukewarm (more luke than warm) stuff on BLACK, so I never picked it up. Also, ya know, no guarantee it'll actually release on CMX may have affected that decision. So, I can't comment on whether this is Hollywood being Hollywood looking for that alternative take on black superheroes or if there's something actually worthwhile there. I'll say that concept is insanely relevant, execution is the question.

Also, no idea if it's seeped in Black Mask shared universe stuff
Didn't know BM even had a shared universe, but Black was originally a self-published Kickstarter GN before BM decided to publish it, so I wouldn't think so

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It bothers me that there's a game and comic called BLACK and they both use all caps.
[edit]
Oh, BLACK is a Kickstarter comic? Interesting.

rQMuw41.png

Goddamn.

Roman

I'm not at all sure why but PsychBat has just transferred ownership of the ComicGAF Discord server to me.

It's not very active, but you're all very welcome to join and I'm open to feedback on where to go from here. This is the third server I would be admin of so I'm confident I can make it work if there is interest.

Can that invite maybe be added to the OP?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Join our discord. Its much fun!
Also, I am going to post some Time-Exclusiv content every now and they, and you bet you wont want to miss it, true believers!

Roman

The Discord server has a new logo!

I'm planning more additions like widgets that automatically post news from twitter, and bots that allow users to use commands in order to fetch links quickly.

tim1138

DC released the lenticular covers for the the Oz Effect story in Action, and it's looking like the Oz is
Jor-El
theory is the right one.

It really is insane to me how...modern Green Arrow by Grell feels, yet also far above most of the cape comics coming out. Grell OFTEN lets the art do all of the story telling if it can do a better job than its combination with words. So you will frequently see two, sometimes three pages in a row without a single word. I mean, how rare is it that a comic from the late 80s has this little word density?

These are pretty indicative of the density you'll expect in a good 60+% of the pages (sorry for the crappy pictures; it's too dark in my home office right now).
pLbq.jpg

q4kV.jpg

gAdv.jpg

Of course, sometimes there are more words than that, but only if there needs to be more said. And the writing holds up super well, too.

I'm just super impressed. As good as GA Rebirth is, it doesn't hold a candle to this, IMO. But this is gritty super street level stuff.

Is that Longbow Hunters or the main in-continuity series?

Tyrant you never posted about this weeks Love and Rockets #3, did you enjoy it?

Haven't gotten a chance to read it just yet. I'm sure it'll be good though.

Speaking of good comics, Shade #11? So good. I really love this series so far and it's probably my favorite ongoing comic right now. This issue ended on a great cliffhanger that leaves a lot of open plot threads.

I also read through that Italian graphic novel that Fantagraphics localized this year, The Interview. I had no idea it was by the same creator as 5,000KM Per Second, so that was a nice surprise once I actually started it. It's about a middle-aged psychologist going through some marriage issues who starts seeing weird triangles and shit in the sky. He then meets a patient who sees the same thing. I don't think it was as good as 5,000KM Per Second (sometimes simpler is just better), but it was a nice story to follow and had some pretty strong moments throughout.

Vic_Viper

H
He was a fairly major character in Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Thanks, I dont remember him being in it much but I need to go back and reread it sometime.

When was Shadow King trapped inside of Psylocke's mind? Was it during Psi-War in X-Men 77-78 by Kelly? I thought Psylocke died after that in X-Treme X-Men and he was released? Was he trapped again lol?

Roman

absolutelydisgusting.gif

The discord is nasty in general tbh. Flow's on there.

HEY FLOW HOW'S IT GOING

Actually he left, I don't know why, must have happened before today.

It really is insane to me how...modern Green Arrow by Grell feels, yet also far above most of the cape comics coming out. Grell OFTEN lets the art do all of the story telling if it can do a better job than its combination with words. So you will frequently see two, sometimes three pages in a row without a single word. I mean, how rare is it that a comic from the late 80s has this little word density?

These are pretty indicative of the density you'll expect in a good 60+% of the pages (sorry for the crappy pictures; it's too dark in my home office right now).
pLbq.jpg

q4kV.jpg

gAdv.jpg

Of course, sometimes there are more words than that, but only if there needs to be more said. And the writing holds up super well, too.

I'm just super impressed. As good as GA Rebirth is, it doesn't hold a candle to this, IMO. But this is gritty super street level stuff.

Always glad to see Grell's Arrow run being appreciated. It combined political awareness of the 70s with deconstructive elements of the 80s it was released in, resulting in a down to earth, gritty book with a then very unique tone. I was looking forward to reading every issue and would strongly recommend it to others.

Hagi

I'm back in the cycle where I'm reading comics again so I'm mostly in catch up with a few titles but wow Detective Comics is still fantastic. I just finished the League of Shadows stuff and this book is firing on all cylinders, it's ridiculous.
The build up of Cass through this arc and the whole book paid off so well, that Raid style section where she is cutting through the panels like the god-damn Terminator was so good I'd buy a trade with just a hundred pages of that.
One thing that took me out of it a bit was the team suddenly being free to back her up, it made me do a double take and check if I hadn't missed an issue or a few pages because it was so unexpected. Didn't really care for the Spoiler issue after it but really looking forward to diving into the next arc.

I'm going to catch up on Batman and Green Arrow next, hopefully the former clicks for me because I found it extremely dry the last time I was reading it. I read the first volume of the Flash earlier in the week and thought that was surprisingly good. Haven't read anything Marvel since Civil War part deux and probably still won't until the runway is clear from Secret Empire.

The main series. About 15 or so issues in.

I may have to revisit that. Longbow Hunters blew my 13-year old mind but I didn't stick with the in-continuity series long because the lack of "mature content" was disappointing for me at that age.

Man, DC from 85-90 was just amazing.

Black Bolt #4: This is an exceptional comic book.

The biggest challenge in writing a Black Bolt comic book, in my view, is personality. Black Bolt has two major defining traits: his commanding silence, and the burden he feels as ruler of the Inhumans (though he hasn't actually been king of the Inhumans for some time, I feel this is still central to his character). In exploring and developing the character, these traits become problems; they make him utterly distant and unrelatable. The first is easy to dismantle with a wave of the writer's wand...but that burden, that ever-present responsibility, is a much larger hill to climb.

Ahmed tackles this distance head-on in this issue, focusing on a conversation between Absorbing Man and Black Bolt, and here we see Crusher's purpose in this series fulfilled. Absorbing Man is a great "blue collar" villain, and in everything he says here, the space between Black Bolt and Everyone Else becomes increasingly clear. Black Bolt has never had the experience of being a normal person, more so than most other characters who land a solo. Not as a child and not as a man...the twin burdens of his power and his responsibilities have always weighed heavily on him. This conversation is a deep dive through those burdens, an exploratory effort to find some purchase for relation and empathy. And it's actually pretty magical to watch. In the end,
we find those points...only for that distance to ultimately, tragically, re-assert itself

Also it is fucking gorgeous, holy shit Christian Ward. The art has carried the lion's share of injecting personality into the book up to this point, and Ward has done a marvelous job of making it feel unique and special. It takes a back seat to the writing here but it's still top shelf work.

The best thing this book could do for Black Bolt is leave him with a voice once it's over. His silence is outdated in the context of the character's current role in the Marvel universe. Let Black Bolt speak.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No one can ever recommend me good modern grown up Cyclops stuff :( I want to read something that makes me feel "empowered" (I use that term cause I cant come up with something better. I hope you know what I mean)

Messi

The list of completely unsustainable comic buying

Action comics #985
Birds of Prey #13
Detective Comics #962
The Flash #28
Gotham Academy #12 :(
Harley Quinn #25
Justice League of America #12
Mister Miracle #1
Red Hood and the Outlaws #13
Suicide Squad #23