• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

That was about kid Cyclops iirc
Missed the grown up part. Outside of new x-men and Astonishing I can't think of many x-men comics with great Cyclops moments.

I was reading Assault on Weapon Plus a couple days ago and I really love that scene between Cyclops and wolverine in the hellfire club when Cyclops talks about how he feels about his relationship with Jean and why it's no longer working in contrast to how he feels when he's with Emma, who he feels does not judge him for his weaknesses.

Hagi

It has characters I like and it is stupid fun. Amuses me enough to keep buying.

Is Lobo still in it? I only read the Rebirth issue and the first two proper issues but it was pretty cool. I really like this version of Killer Frost. I picked up the trade of Justice League vs Suicide Squad but haven't finished it yet, she seems pretty OP going by what she did to Superman and the League.

Messi

Is Lobo still in it? I only read the Rebirth issue and the first two proper issues but it was pretty cool. I really like this version of Killer Frost. I picked up the trade of Justice League vs Suicide Squad but haven't finished it yet, she seems pretty OP going by what she did to Superman and the League.

Yup lobo is still in it.

Also for once I'll actually contribute to this thread about actually reading some comics!

I just started my vacation and one of the things I wanted to do is actually catch up on a number of comics. So here's what I've read on the trip over

Finished Cap White - not the best of the Loews/sale marvel duos. But it was still nice to see some sale art I hadn't seen before

Finished the last 7 issues Amelia Cole - fun series. Ended really strong. Jolly book

Bandette #15 as jolly as ever. I hope new issues come soon!

Legend of Wonder Woman - read the whole thing in one sitting. Really interesting take of Diana's origins. Good art, solid writing, fun little nods to the other D.C. Characters outside WW. Shame we won't get more but I understand why

Suicide Squad #1-3 Ostrander series. This was the series I earmarked to work off my backlog. I wanted one meaty series that I hadn't read before and so far it's already delivered. Like VanWinkle mentioned with Grell I'd also echo that with this series. Ostrander writes in the modern comic book style that you see today back in 1987. Back when you still had a lot of the classic, over explained, over excited writers going (aike claremont who I like but I have to work around his verbose style). Characters are real realized off the bat and things are getting done fast. In 2 issues they accomplish a trades worth of storytelling. Can't wait to read more. It's also interesting to see a Waller that isn't a 100% jerk so far. Starting out she does what needs to be done but might listen to some feedback from others

Wanderer5

wyAqp6g.png

I REALLY need to get around seeing this show more. Maybe it be on that new DC streaming service lawl.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Turns out, the Osborn Arc is actually really good.
The best arc of the current run. And everyone has even a unique voice.
And I love how Norman has now his own Metal Gear line up and running

I was reading Assault on Weapon Plus a couple days ago and I really love that scene between Cyclops and wolverine in the hellfire club when Cyclops talks about how he feels about his relationship with Jean and why it's no longer working in contrast to how he feels when he's with Emma, who he feels does not judge him for his weaknesses.

That sounds super interesting. Complicated love lives in comic form is one of my faves.

This Thor story arch with the introduction of Infinity is actually really good!

Turns out Hela created Infinity by trying to cast her death magic on a sleeping Odin. That's why Thor conceded defeat. The whole event has turned Asgard on its head a little too. Good stuff

tim1138

Suicide Squad #1-3 Ostrander series. This was the series I earmarked to work off my backlog. I wanted one meaty series that I hadn't read before and so far it's already delivered. Like VanWinkle mentioned with Grell I'd also echo that with this series. Ostrander writes in the modern comic book style that you see today back in 1987. Back when you still had a lot of the classic, over explained, over excited writers going (aike claremont who I like but I have to work around his verbose style). Characters are real realized off the bat and things are getting done fast. In 2 issues they accomplish a trades worth of storytelling. Can't wait to read more. It's also interesting to see a Waller that isn't a 100% jerk so far. Starting out she does what needs to be done but might listen to some feedback from others

I'm really surprised you've never read this before! It's one of the all time great runs.

VanWinkle

I may have to revisit that. Longbow Hunters blew my 13-year old mind but I didn't stick with the in-continuity series long because the lack of "mature content" was disappointing for me at that age.

Man, DC from 85-90 was just amazing.

Classic 13 year old, haha. The book is easily more mature than any other modern DCU title is.

I just finished the first three issues, too! It's GREAT and really well-written. My only real complaint is that it's QUITE dense, especially compared to GA by Grell that I'm reading at the same time.

I'm really surprised you've never read this before! It's one of the all time great runs.
I know I know. I've had it sitting there for a while on my backlog of shame. It's this and morrison's doom patrol that might br my biggest gaps of notable runs

And o started comics in 92. I'd say I'm pretty weak with a lot of 80s and earlier D.C. And until recently D.C. wasnt great in collecting/releasing it either. Now my problem is I own it but just need to actually sit down and read it

Finally got around to finishing New Super-Man v1. I really enjoyed it. Lots of great new characters introduced, interesting set-up for the arc, concise writing with action sequences only in places where absolutely required. I like how Kenan's powers work. The Batman/Superman dynamic is funny too. At this point, after v1, this might be me favourite Rebirth series.

Only bad point for me was how they set-up an interesting villain but then made them too evil so that it was easy to pick a sqide to support and reach status quo. Though it looks like the themes might still be picked up again later.

Also, this cover is amazing.

Ranking!

Still Reading
------------------------

1) New Super-Man
2) Green Arrow
3) Superman
4) Wonder Woman
5) Flash
6) Nightwing

Dropped
-------------------

7) Batman
8) Detective Comics
9) Action Comics
10) Aquaman
11) Green Lanterns
12) Hal Jordan & The GLC
13) Justice League

VanWinkle

I know I know. I've had it sitting there for a while on my backlog of shame. It's this and morrison's doom patrol that might br my biggest gaps of notable runs

And o started comics in 92. I'd say I'm pretty weak with a lot of 80s and earlier D.C. And until recently D.C. wasnt great in collecting/releasing it either. Now my problem is I own it but just need to actually sit down and read it

Man, I, having started comics in 2015, have had SO much to catch up on. I have read A LOT in the last two years, but I still have so much to read. I will say this, though: I have been finding out that mid to late 80s DC was INSANELY creative and good.

Man, I, having started comics in 2015, have had SO much to catch up on. I have read A LOT in the last two years, but I still have so much to read. I will say this, though: I have been finding out that mid to late 80s DC was INSANELY creative and good.
You've got a good approach. You're getting the notable collections and working them off one by one. Comics like almost every medium has a handful of great, a bundle of very good, a lot of good, and a bunch of ok. It's easy to get caught up spending a lot of month to month reading on the ok/good. Early on outside of books like Sandman, I spent a good portion starting off reading a lot of ok and not knowing any better. The internet helps a lot to help curate notable runs, books, and series. My tastes and reading variety really expanded in the early 2000s when I found good message board communities that threw a lot of good recommendations my way

I fell into the trap again recently with MU. Where I want reading a ton of books each week but would work off the weekly MU books just to "stay caught up" even though there were other books and runs I would rather be reading. I finally broke that cycle and going back to pick out what I really want to read at that time. The weekly/monthly reading cycle is an easy trap to fall into

Not quite Messi level but this is my list for next week

Babyteeth 3
The Shadow 1
TMNT Dimension X 2
TMNT Universe 13
Unholy Grail 2
Unsound 3

Detective Comics 962
Mister Miracle 1
New Super-Man 14

Low 19
Manifest Destiny 20
Redlands 1
Sacred Creatures 2

All-New Wolverine 23
Amazing Spider-Man 31
Captain America 25
Defenders 4
Edge of Venomverse 4
Generations: Phoenix and Jean Grey
Hulk 9
Inhumans: Once and Future Kings 1
Jean Grey 5
Ms. Marvel 21
Old Man Logan 27
Secret Empire 8
Secret Warriors 5
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 11
Unbelievable Squirrel Girl 23

Man, oh man you guys are on another level with those pull lists, I feel faint just looking at them. I checked, if I read monthly I would have 5 or 6 books this week.

Hagi

I'm glad my comic reading is cyclical now because damn going back to monthlies on a regular basis would kill me. Binge culture has ruined me I think, long live trades and online sales.

Man, oh man you guys are on another level with those pull lists, I feel faint just looking at them. I checked, if I read monthly I would have 5 or 6 books this week.

Been thinking about cutting it in half so I have more time for literature. I like reading lots of comics but I miss novels

Been thinking about cutting it in half so I have more time for literature. I like reading lots of comics but I miss novels

I always have a novel I'm working through. A few chapters before bed every night and they go pretty quick. Currently reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds.

Yea, I tend to have a few weeks each year where I put all my other hobbies aside, comics, games etc and just blast through a stack of novels but I find it harder and harder these days to just casually pick my way through a book day to day.

Wanderer5

Ha ha, I been feeling like reading some novel nowadays given that I mostly read comics, so I went to pick up Wrinkle in Time and a small book about Irish Folklore last month.

Wanderer5

As far as ongoing series and such goes, I only got 2-3 in mind for trades currently. I never did go through with collecting Detective Comics by issues heh.

When Dark Matter stuff comes through, then I'll probably dive into a couple by issues.

Cartoon Network will you stop sabotaging these shows.

It is action, so course it is not surprising.

Top Bottom