• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Aizo

Banned
Finally got around to finishing New Super-Man v1. I really enjoyed it. Lots of great new characters introduced, interesting set-up for the arc, concise writing with action sequences only in places where absolutely required. I like how Kenan's powers work. The Batman/Superman dynamic is funny too. At this point, after v1, this might be me favourite Rebirth series.

Only bad point for me was how they set-up an interesting villain but then made them too evil so that it was easy to pick a sqide to support and reach status quo. Though it looks like the themes might still be picked up again later.

Also, this cover is amazing.

Ranking!

Still Reading
------------------------

1) New Super-Man
2) Green Arrow
3) Superman
4) Wonder Woman
5) Flash
6) Nightwing

Dropped
-------------------

7) Batman
8) Detective Comics
9) Action Comics
10) Aquaman
11) Green Lanterns
12) Hal Jordan & The GLC
13) Justice League
Whoa. Why did you drop Detective Comics? I'm surprised that was dropped but flash is on. I read 9 issues of Flash and felt is was exceedingly average and predictable.

mreddie

Re-reading Angela Asgard's Assassin, yeah Marvel dropped the ball big time.

Letting Bennett and Jimenez jump to DC and letting...Bendis to fuck up the ending of Hel.

Angela is literally the first round draft pick bust.

How's that Miracleman miniseries doing by the way?

Messi

Re-reading Angela Asgard's Assassin, yeah Marvel dropped the ball big time.

Letting Bennett and Jimenez jump to DC and letting...Bendis to fuck up the ending of Hel.

Angela is literally the first round draft pick bust.

How's that Miracleman miniseries doing by the way?

I get the feeling Bendis didn't so much ask for Angela back but was more told to take he back and bury some stuff. Nothing to base it on other than Bendis doesn't seem like the type to actively try to bury gay characters and Marvels higher ups are very much that type. "We are not looking to put labels on it" after Marguerite Bennett went to such lengths to label it repeatedly.

mreddie

I get the feeling Bendis didn't so much ask for Angela back but was more told to take he back and bury some stuff. Nothing to base it on other than Bendis doesn't seem like the type to actively try to bury gay characters and Marvels higher ups are very much that type. "We are not looking to put labels on it" after Marguerite Bennett went to such lengths to label it repeatedly.

I really think Axel is scared of gay characters in comics and how the Wednesday Warriors might react to it.

Hercules bisexuality erased
Northstars wedding is been put on the backburner
Any mention of gay characters have been swept under the rug (Ask Kate Leth)
Hulkling and Wiccan are MIA
Sera being trans is now LOLWATYOUMEAN by Axel

And of course, being too chicken shit posting anything Pulse other than the MCU Avengers 1 team with a rainbow while DC actually gave a fuck. And of course, Marvel ignoring the Love is Love book for...???

I have to think Marvel and Gay are pretty much on two different fields now.

Iceman being gay was handled fucking horribly as well and America broke up with her girlfriend for no reason and we have not seen any signs she's a lesbian since then.

If they were planning anything with Angela, they have botched it badly. Angela is fading to the background and I think she was planned to do shit til Aaron did Jane Thor.

I'm honestly nervous how they deal with Karolina for the Runaways book since she was dating Julie Power last time we saw her.

Messi

America recently kissed an old friend in her book. But yeah I agree with the rest.

The Sera stuff was disgusting.

I will say... Leth can't have believed the characters she was creating for her book would ever live outside if that book right?

I can't imagine Kris Anka allowing himself to be involved in anything that actively hurts or erases gay people. So I think Runaways will be fine. Hell Noelle Stevenson's secret wars Runaways had a main characters come out and kiss each other. We have never seen them since tho :/

mreddie

America recently kissed an old friend in her book. But yeah I agree with the rest.

The Sera stuff was disgusting.

I will say... Leth can't have believed the characters she was creating for her book would ever live outside if that book right?

I can't imagine Kris Anka allowing himself to be involved in anything that actively hurts or erases gay people. So I think Runaways will be fine. Hell Noelle Stevenson's secret wars Runaways had a main characters come out and kiss each other. We have never seen them since tho :/

Leth I have to assume thought Hellcat was like USG since USG kinda works separate in her own world while Hellcat had Jen who is part of the plot of CW2 yet Spencer just used her fine. Looking back, that kinda sucks.

Wasn't Noelle supposed to do a new Runaways around ANAD or was that just assuming?
Again, I'm more nervous how they address Karolina, they maybe put her sexuality on the backburner til the show has her kiss a girl.

Sandfox

I really think Axel is scared of gay characters in comics and how the Wednesday Warriors might react to it.

Hercules bisexuality erased
Northstars wedding is been put on the backburner
Any mention of gay characters have been swept under the rug (Ask Kate Leth)
Hulkling and Wiccan are MIA
Sera being trans is now LOLWATYOUMEAN by Axel

And of course, being too chicken shit posting anything Pulse ither than the MCU Avengers 1 team with a rainbow while DC actually gave a fuck. And of course, Marvel ignoring the Love is Love book for...???

I have to think Marvel and Gay are pretty much on two different fields now.

Iceman being gay was handled fucking horribly as well.

If they cared about that kind of thing Marvel's lineup would be a lot less diverse in other areas. They have obviously done a poor job in this area with them only now trying to push certain characters with their sexuality actually being part of their books.

Messi

Leth I have to assume thought Hellcat was like USG since USG kinda works separate in her own world while Hellcat had Jen who is part of the plot of CW2 yet Spencer just used her fine. Looking back, that kinda sucks.

Wasn't Noelle supposed to do a new Runaways around ANAD or was that just assuming?
Again, I'm more nervous how they address Karolina, they maybe put her sexuality on the backburner til the show has her kiss a girl.

People were assuming it was a test run for a normal Runaways but it never happened. It's hard to put stuff on the back burner when you have 5 issues to tell your story. I get the feeling this is a one and done for that team.

I also get the feeling they will be totally blunt about her sexuality

mreddie

People were assuming it was a test run for a normal Runaways but it never happened. It's hard to put stuff on the back burner when you have 5 issues to tell your story. I get the feeling this is a one and done for that team.

That's the case for all minis.

If they cared about that kind of thing Marvel's lineup would be a lot less diverse in other areas. They have obviously done a poor job in this area with them only now trying to push certain characters with their sexuality actually being part of their books.

I feel they are realizing it but they are doing very little aside from Iceman-America who everyone has the dreading feeling they're not lasting past 8 issues.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why's it so hard to finally start a new series? I've had The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts LP on my desk and Akira but I can't make myself read them, even though I want to. I'm too lazy to start on 'em.

To be honest, it still stings that Hercules was retconned to be straight. A lot actually. Fiction isn't exactly brimming with good male bisexual characters.

I was holding out hope that they would fix it in Waidvengers, but nope. It's bullshit and upsetting to think about.

Sandfox

That's the case for all minis.

I feel they are realizing it but they are doing very little aside from Iceman-America who everyone has the dreading feeling they're not lasting past 8 issues.

America has already passed that and Iceman likely will as well. Whenever those books end there needs to be something to take their place.

Messi

Why's it so hard to finally start a new series? I've had The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts LP on my desk and Akira but I can't make myself read them, even though I want to. I'm too lazy to start on 'em.

I find it easier to start new series than continue long running series. It's really fucking odd.

mreddie

Daily reminder that Gravity was the Bobby Lashley of Marvel during the mid 2000s

Also seeing McKeever's Twitter page is kinda...oof.

Not bad but he's the roommate in the back of the house guy.

Remember when Iceman series came out during pride month and no a single word mention about from Marvel.

I think they got a article on a gay news site and that was it.

America has already passed that and Iceman likely will as well. Whenever those books end there needs to be something to take their place.

Wow already? Huh. Well Iceman is on 6 but likely the next trade will start around then. Still, my case stands.

Thanks, I dont remember him being in it much but I need to go back and reread it sometime.

When was Shadow King trapped inside of Psylocke's mind? Was it during Psi-War in X-Men 77-78 by Kelly? I thought Psylocke died after that in X-Treme X-Men and he was released? Was he trapped again lol?
So happy someone else remembers.
Big Barda Punch!

giphy.gif

Take that Granny Goodness (seriously with that name lol).
Fantastic episode
Missed the grown up part. Outside of new x-men and Astonishing I can't think of many x-men comics with great Cyclops moments.

I was reading Assault on Weapon Plus a couple days ago and I really love that scene between Cyclops and wolverine in the hellfire club when Cyclops talks about how he feels about his relationship with Jean and why it's no longer working in contrast to how he feels when he's with Emma, who he feels does not judge him for his weaknesses.
Messiah Complex and Second Coming
Ah, a total blink and you'll miss it reference nod. I wonder why he wasn't included in the team. Perhaps they thought they already have enough blue mutants.
X3 is the only live action Beast worth watching

So wait and buy trades? Don't act like you are paying retail for this stuff.

I pay retail when I buy singles from CMX. :(

I don't really buy many trades anymore because I own the digital singles. I'll buy the nice editions like Image hardcovers and stuff, but I have to like it quite a bit to do that. Other exceptions are large runs I haven't read before. It's usually easier for me to buy the trades than the digital editions. But lmao at waiting for trades to read new books.

I pay retail when I buy singles from CMX. :(

I don't really buy many trades anymore because I own the digital singles. I'll buy the nice editions like Image hardcovers and stuff, but I have to like it quite a bit to do that. Other exceptions are large runs I haven't read before. It's usually easier for me to buy the trades than the digital editions. But lmao at waiting for trades to read new books.

I'm with you. I have a small shelf of hardcovers I cherish, otherwise I am all in on CMX floppies

I always prefer to eat comics fresh from the oven

frye

just force yourself to read some Akira, you'll just run through the whole thing once you get even slightly into it

Vic_Viper

got the extra 3% off at IST this weekend. Just bought Reborn and Flash Rebirth Deluxe. Does the 2% and 3% not stack? I only see the 3% on my account, but I just placed an order a few days ago.

mreddie

Quick question: how come so many of the young heroes from 2005-2012 just failed hard and were never used again?

Is this why the legacy heroes thing even happened?

Quick question: how come so many of the young heroes from 2005-2012 just failed hard and were never used again?

Because despite their constant bitching, a lot of comic fans don't actually ever want anything new. They just want the same characters with new plots despite the fact it's been 60+ years and you can only run so many storylines without introducing new players.

Think about a number of times that Marvel tried to do a team of young heroes books and not just go away after a couple of years. Remember when Young Avengers was still a thing, but now we have the Champions book. Hell, the X-Men books seemed to do a better job at it some times.

Think about a number of times that Marvel tried to do a team of young heroes books and not just go away after a couple of years. Remember when Young Avengers was still a thing, but now we have the Champions book. Hell, the X-Men books seemed to do a better job at it some times.

Young Avengers the first time is because they were wait for Allan Heinberg to finish his stuff in TV land. The second time, it's because Gillen had a finite story. IF anything YA is probably the best way to handle it, instead of what they did to Runaways post-Vaughn.

Champions is mostly bad, though occasionally glimmers of what I want out of the book appear.

I've helped out on a fan blog for teenage heroes and seen first hand why so many readers of their books left. Stuff like Avengers Arena and the many "evil humans attack Xavier's mansion and kill some teens before Wolverine and the adults strike back" stories really didn't help.

Whoa. Why did you drop Detective Comics? I'm surprised that was dropped but flash is on. I read 9 issues of Flash and felt is was exceedingly average and predictable.

tbh, I see myself dropping Flash and Nightwing after the next volumes. True about the writing but I enjoyed the Godspeed villain/arc. And it was nice to see two brown characters in one book...
Though one got kinda written out of the book

Does it stack with the 2% received from previous orders?

Unfortunately no. It replaces the 2%. Though it stacks with this week's deals. So Monsterbus v1 is 68% off and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu v1 and v2 are 63% off. Maybe I should have waited on the Deadly Hands books...

IrishNinja

damn, this audiobook of Untold Tales of Marvel is really interesting. i'm only up to about '73 with the starlin/englehart/etc era and learning all kinds of stuff i didn't know, really having fun here

related: ive got the adventures of kavalier & clay up next, but meant to ask if anyone recommends comic book confidential? the lineup looks great

damn, this audiobook of Untold Tales of Marvel is really interesting. i'm only up to about '73 with the starlin/englehart/etc era and learning all kinds of stuff i didn't know, really having fun here

related: ive got the adventures of kavalier & clay up next, but meant to ask if anyone recommends comic book confidential? the lineup looks great

Oh, where can you get that audiobook from? I'd love to hear stories as I read through the reading order. I'm currently up to 1971-72. I wonder how much they talk about Roy Thomas' vision and the departure of my favourites Jim Steranko and Steve Ditko. :(

IrishNinja

Oh, where can you get that audiobook from? I'd love to hear stories as I read through the reading order. I'm currently up to 1971-72. I wonder how much they talk about Roy Thomas' vision and the departure of my favourites Jim Steranko and Steve Ditko. :(

it's been a while (ive a backlog of audiobooks) but ill see where i found it, yeah where i'm at Thomas just bowed out & Ditko's been gone forever, just joined Atlas. Steranko hasn't yet left - met dude at a con last year & had him sign a Fury print, he totally checked out my girl & lived up to the hype, haha

it's been a while (ive a backlog of audiobooks) but ill see where i found it, yeah where i'm at Thomas just bowed out & Ditko's been gone forever, just joined Atlas. Steranko hasn't yet left - met dude at a con last year & had him sign a Fury print, he totally checked out my girl & lived up to the hype, haha

Damn! Amazing.

I've liked Roy Thomas' handling of Marvel so far, even if it is a little wordy. He has a nice ability to keep things tied together, he just seems to care more about certain characters than others. Also, at times he was a bit inconsistent with his own standards and writing, but then I can't blame when he's overseeing endless stories, characters and books at once. Stan Lee just sits back and handles Spider-Man!

How would the rest of you rank the Rebirth books?

Still haven't read many myself, maybe 10? I particularly enjoyed Batman, TEC, WW & Deathstroke. WW changing teams already especially to Robinson has kind of took the wind out of it's sails for me though.

Standing around waiting for the swedish Pride Parade to reach my location. The transportation system will be a mess for the rest of the day due to the 500K watchers and 50K people in the parade wanting to get home so I'll just walk to work after.

Edit: Lovely, it has started raining.

Top Bottom