• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

kmfdmpig

Quick question: how come so many of the young heroes from 2005-2012 just failed hard and were never used again?

Is this why the legacy heroes thing even happened?

Is it a young heroes issue or an issue about just launching new characters in general though?

Comics are popular in movies and on TV, but not a ton of people are buying them in print. It's hard to launch new characters and see them succeed when a large percentage would rather stick with the characters they already like and know. It's a bit easier to launch a character if it's linked to a popular character (Spider-Man, Batman, etc...) but even that is hard enough.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I’m plowing through the Vision: Little better than a beast/little worse than a man. Basically my first comic, and I’m absolutely loving it, the tone, pacing and writing are out of this world.

Do any of you have any recommendations that are similar to this? Dark and serious themes, not nessesarily a lot of action. Preferably super hero-themed.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I’m plowing through the Vision: Little better than a beast/little worse than a man. Basically my first comic, and I’m absolutely loving it, the tone, pacing and writing are out of this world.

Do any of you have any recommendations that are similar to this? Dark and serious themes, not nessesarily a lot of action. Preferably super hero-themed.

Vision is... if not unique, extremely rare. I'd recommend The Omega Men, by the same author, though it goes about things a little differently, and the average quality level isn't quite as good due to nearly being canceled halfway through; you can see the rewrite seams, a little.

Messi

Queen Bees first omnibus cover!

51Dv6ijOywL._SL1500_.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Try Black Hammer from Dark Horse. It's about a group of Golden Age super heroes mysteriously trapped in a small farm town after an encounter with a big bad villain.

kmfdmpig

Irredeemable may fit the bill. It's dark, serious, smart, but has a fair amount of action.

If you want a lighter take on the superhero trying to live a somewhat normal life then Hawkeye, Zatanna (from a few years ago) and Starfire are good.

VanWinkle

Back to reading the Batman Knightfall Omnibus. Enjoying it a lot more now that I'm into the Knightfall issues proper, instead of the stuff leading up to it. And maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind last time I was reading it, because I just was not digging it at all at the time.

I thought Omega Men by the same author was even better.

You'd probably want to look more into Vertigo's comics from the 80s/90s. Stuff like Sandman, Swamp Thing, Shade the Changing Man, etc.

Messi

Page count/issues/price?

We really should do a "5 Cool omnibuses/trades/hardcovers/absolutes shipping this month" post every month.

HARLEY QUINN #0-16, HARLEY QUINN: FUTURE'S END #1, HARLEY QUINN INVADES COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO, HARLEY QUINN ANNUAL #1, HARLEY QUINN HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1, HARLEY QUINN VALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL #1, and the miniseries HARLEY QUINN AND POWER GIRL #1-6, wrapped up in a new cover by Amanda Conner!

752 pages

$100

Very glad to see they are going to roll the mini series into the omnibuses

Perfect length for an omnibus. 20 pages more and it would be too big imo.

752 pages

$100

Very glad to see they are going to roll the mini series into the omnibuses

Perfect length for an omnibus. 20 pages more and it would be too big imo.
So the second will be the rest of the Pre-Rebirth book, Gang of Harleys and the Road Trip special most likely?

Little Black Book will probably have to wait for the third one.

Hoping the creators will be at a shop with it like Big Bang or Gosh sometime next year so I can order it signed~

Messi

So the second will be the rest of the Pre-Rebirth book, Gang of Harleys and the Road Trip special most likely?

Hoping the creators will be at a shop with it like Big Bang or Gosh sometime next year so I can order it signed~

I doubt they have enough time to go to big bang. They said it's a shit load of work to keep up with the Rebirth book.

I'd assume it's the rest and the gang of Harleys mini plus the one shots or little black book as there were less one shots on the back end.

Rebirth already has enough for a third omnibus and nearly a fourth lol. They are a juggernaut of a team.

I doubt they have enough time to go to big bang. They said it's a shit load of work to keep up with the Rebirth book.

I'd assume it's the rest and the gang of Harleys mini plus the one shots or little black book as there were less one shots on the back end.

Rebirth already has enough for a third omnibus and nearly a fourth lol. They are a juggernaut of a team.
Then I'll have to pay YOU the next time you go to a con with them :D

There isn't a cool hardcover or something for the old Power Girl book, right?

I get sad whenever Amazon sends me an email that the Aquaman omnibus' price has been lowered since we have no idea when it'll actually be out.

Clearly there needs to be a 'Power Girl and Starfire by Conner' omnibus :)

Imagine a cover with both of them and Atlee in the middle by Conner~

They need to reprint the Atlee Terra mini since I never got a chance to read it. They had some copies of the old trade that Conner signed at my comic store. But a hurricane came close one year and they had some water damage and it ruined the remaining copies. Pissed I never bought it, sigh.

I want a big TPB collecting all of Starfire too. I guess I should just buy the two trades at this point.

Vic_Viper

Unfortunately no. It replaces the 2%. Though it stacks with this week's deals. So Monsterbus v1 is 68% off and Deadly Hands of Kung Fu v1 and v2 are 63% off. Maybe I should have waited on the Deadly Hands books...

Thank you lol. Guess im going to wait on Action Comics Deluxe.

Do we know yet when the DC Deluxe Edition Vol. 2s are coming? Really wish DC would pick up the pace with these releases since their books are already over a year and these only consist of the first 5 months.

They need to reprint the Atlee Terra mini since I never got a chance to read it. They had some copies of the old trade that Conner signed at my comic store. But a hurricane came close one year and they had some water damage and it ruined the remaining copies. Pissed I never bought it, sigh.

I want a big TPB collecting all of Starfire too. I guess I should just buy the two trades at this point.
That one isn't on CMX yet, right?

Dusknoir

Read Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol.1 on Hoopla. It's really good. Hate myself for not picking up the Rebirth issue, I would have followed this book in floppies. I've never read a Red hood book before or a book with Artemis in it and I already like these characters and their interactions. Even made Black Mask look cool. Damn, now I either trade wait or buy up the remaining issues.

Vision is excellent.

Try Translucid

Also Secret Identities may fit the bill:

Omega Men (also by Tom King)

Uncanny X-Force (by Rick Remender)

X-Force (by Si Spurrier)

Secret Six (2008) (by Gail Simone)

Alias (by Bendis)

Batgirl (by Gail Simone) (just started reading this and hoooooly shit)

Messi

Nope. One of those things some of us have been waiting on. Messi even asked someone (Palmiotti or someone at Comixology, I forget) about it previously. Yet here we are: still waiting.

I asked Jimmy and he said he wants it available but it's not in his hands.

mreddie

Is it a young heroes issue or an issue about just launching new characters in general though?

Comics are popular in movies and on TV, but not a ton of people are buying them in print. It's hard to launch new characters and see them succeed when a large percentage would rather stick with the characters they already like and know. It's a bit easier to launch a character if it's linked to a popular character (Spider-Man, Batman, etc...) but even that is hard enough.

Both, look at how characters Marvel introduced alone between 2004-2014, tell me which ones are still going?

Examples?

Is this more of a Marvel thing?
Young Allies, Initiative, Young Avengers, Avengers Academy.

8bit

Knows the Score

X-Men : Legacy

I don't but even if you do they are doing stories by Paul Dini with classic Harley in the backups.

She's never coming back fully though.
I'm actually surprised DC hasn't gotten Dini or someone to do Harley: Earth One for the anniversary.

Messi

I'm actually surprised DC hasn't gotten Dini or someone to do Harley: Earth One for the anniversary.

I guess they are busy doing the regular book and Dini is doing he Harley and Ivy Archie crossover series. They have more than enough Harley for the anniversary.

I guess they are busy doing the regular book and Dini is doing he Harley and Ivy Archie crossover series. They have more than enough Harley for the anniversary.
It's time for Harley variants. Harley Queen! The Harley Corps! Harleen: World famous psychiatrist by day, Batwoman by night.

Messi

It's time for Harley variants. Harley Queen! The Harley Corps! Harleen: World famous psychiatrist by day, Batwoman by night.

There was those line wide Harley variants last year.

I wonder when the vol 2s of the Rebirth OHCs will get announced. I want to keep reading Flash :(

Messi

Looking like there's about a 8-9 month gap between the vol 1s and vol 2s that we know of so far.

Well that sucks. We will be getting 14-27 when the book is moving past #50? :/

The $150 deluxe one? I thought you had that on order. DCBS knows, Messi. You can't hide from them. They leave all the Harley statues up until you place an order for them.

Will this be triple dipping or quadruple dipping for you?

The smaller version of the statue. I have the bigger one.

I own the floppies, the variants, the tps, the HCs and I have the omni on order and the OHC for the Rebirth series.

Shade the Changing Girl 11: I haven't been loving this arc as much as the early stuff, but I thought this issue moved the story forward in some really interesting ways.
I am, of course, skeptical that Shade's avian body is dead since it happened off panel.
Good issue. I am bored of the Honey backups though

Sadist

I caught up again with some stuff;

- Walking Dead stays pretty consistant. Some great moments again, with Negan doing his thing. Like where they are heading with Eugene. Dude came a long way from the cowardly little man he once was. Also gatdamm Rick.

- Ms. Marvel is still cool too. Might be one of the few Marvel series I still enjoy.

- With Miles-Man. Goldballs no :( POINK.

- Secret Empire... what the hell am I reading. Still like Sorrentino's art though.

Top Bottom