• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

A couple issues into Batgirl Year One and YOOOO. This is GREAT STUFF.

Reading comics. Disgusting.

I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm reading Abe Sapien, but I also have those Punisher MAX Complete Collections staring at me from the bookshelf. And I got my Flash Rebirth hardcover in the mail yesterday and that looks dope. AND I'm 3/4 of the way through a novel right now too.

Messi

So why is Gotham Academy vol 3 what it is?

They went into a holding pattern as Karl Kerschl was leaving art duties. Also it was during DCYou and they tried to shake it up. It goes back to regular Gotham Academy in the next volume Second Semester.

It was a really odd decision

Aizo

Banned
Super odd. The narrative just drops suddenly. The Robin War tie in was clumsy, too.

What happens in Robin War. I never read it. Court of Owls exist outside Snyder's Batman?

Messi

Super odd. The narrative just drops suddenly. The Robin War tie in was clumsy, too.

What happens in Robin War. I never read it. Court of Owls exist outside Snyder's Batman?

No idea, never read it and don't feel like I missed anything.

placed a small IST order:

East of West Year 1 HC
Shade the Changing Girl vol 1
My Pretty Vampire HC

really looking forward to reading all of them!

VanWinkle

Amazing run. The artwork is stunning.

Yeah it's perfect. And Dixon is even more solidified in my mind as the greatest Batfamily writer of all time.

Reading comics. Disgusting.

I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm reading Abe Sapien, but I also have those Punisher MAX Complete Collections staring at me from the bookshelf. And I got my Flash Rebirth hardcover in the mail yesterday and that looks dope. AND I'm 3/4 of the way through a novel right now too.

I know that feeling well. Right now I'm reading Batgirl Year One and The Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction/Brubaker/Aja, and two books is the LEAST I'm reading at any given time. Usually it's three books.

The only babs as batgirl story I've really loved

Definitely my favorite so far.

Aizo

Banned
God. I hate writing job applications and self promotion in Japanese. I mean, I hate it in English, but it's even worse in Japanese. Somebody give me a new job. :(

I should stop procrastinating by posting in here...

VanWinkle

I have so many more omnis to buy this year. Some of them will likely have to be put on the backburner.

-X-Men Legion
-Journey Into Mystery
-DD by Brubaker Vol 1 (very likely backburner)
-DD by Brubaker Vol 2 (very likely backburner)
-Thor by Simonson [Reprint]
-Grayson
-Batman and Robin (#1 most wanted)
-Justice League International (#2 most wanted)
-New Teen Titans Vol 1 [New Edition]
-Kirby Fourth World
-Darkseid War
-Harley Quinn (possibly backburner)
-Knightfall Vol 2 (possibly backburner)
-Bronze Age Swamp Thing (possibly backburner)

That Kirby Fourth World omni is gonna be huuuuge. I just want to read it though. After that I might as well cast it back to the fires of Mount Doom.

The only babs as batgirl story I've really loved
Not Simone's run?

Court of Owls is Snyder's biggest contribution to Bat lore (before Metal). They were a pretty big component of all the Bat books in the New 52. The first Talon is Dick Grayson's ancestor; Strix was a major player in Simone's Batgirl and later the New 52 Secret Six run. There was a solo Talon book for a wee bit. The Talons were a core component of Forever Evil: Arkham War.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I'm about done with Seven to Eternity. This last issue felt like a bunch of jibberish. I don't care about any of the characters. The world itself isn't all that interesting and Hollingsworth's colors make the book hard to look at. I've given it more than enough time to hook me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
0iQ30Pg.jpg

Ma Chere :3

Messi

Harley is getting a new old school series by Dini and Palmiotti. It was posted on some trash comics site that I won't link to but Palmiotti retweeted it so it's as good as announced.

some trash site understands that DC Comics is going to publish a new Harley Quinn monthly comic book called Harley Loves Joker. With Jimmy Palmiotti and Bruce Dini, it will follow in the Batman Animated Series style and attitude that has recently appeared in the Harley Loves Joker back-up strips in the current Harley Quinn twice-monthly comic book, running the character’s twenty-fifth anniversary in Harley Quinn #25 out tomorrow.

After which point, the back-up strips, now it will graduate to a regular book of its very own… with Palmiotti, Dini, and probably with Bret Blevins too. I look forward to finding out later.

Harley Loves Joker #1 will be published… sometime. I would guess November or December, unless DC Comics gets in early with a direct digital version.

FYI I didn't typo that. That site really put his name as Bruce Dini. Amateur hour.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why did they never make a Avengers vs Mr.Sinister arc?

You would think Essex's interests in genetics would go past the X-Men.

1upsuper

Howdy, ComicGAF. Got a question for you all.

I'm trying to find examples in various media of physically disabled characters that feature prominently in their respective works. AKA not just background characters, but characters that are important to the story. I'm still a novice when it comes to comics and graphic novels so I was hoping you guys could give me some examples to look into. Any genre will do. And while I'd definitely prefer to see positive portrayals, I'm fine with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I think I'm about done with Seven to Eternity. This last issue felt like a bunch of jibberish. I don't care about any of the characters. The world itself isn't all that interesting and Hollingsworth's colors make the book hard to look at. I've given it more than enough time to hook me.

The last issue was definitely a stumbling block, but I've enjoyed every other issue. I'm willing to give it a chance to recover.

I'm trying to find examples of physically disabled characters that feature prominently in various media. I'm still a novice when it comes to comics and graphic novels so I was hoping you guys could give me some examples to look into. Any genre will do. And while I'd definitely prefer to see positive portrayals, I'm fine with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Not a comic, but did you consider the main character in that recent Souls-like game The Surge? The prologue has him rolling around in a wheelchair as he applies for a job with a company that will supply him with a mechanical power suit so he can work. Decent game, too.

Messi

I'm trying to find examples in various media of physically disabled characters that feature prominently in their respective works. AKA not just background characters, but characters that are important to the story. I'm still a novice when it comes to comics and graphic novels so I was hoping you guys could give me some examples to look into. Any genre will do. And while I'd definitely prefer to see positive portrayals, I'm fine with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon/Gail Simone. One of the 3 main characters is physically disabled. The book is awesome too.

Extremity is a current book featuring a protagonist who lost a limb. It's a lovely book, and the pain of that loss is central to the story.

The first collection should be available next month if you don't want to buy the singles.

Well, you always have Professor Xavier in damn near everything X-Men (except for various comic runs). Daredevil is another one. You also have Barbara Gordon as Oracle, after she's been paralyzed by Joker from the waist down. She's featured prominently in various comic runs, and also in the Arkham games (City and even more so Knight), and also in Birds of Prey, the 2003 TV series. I don't recommend watching it, as it is pure trash. Maya Lopez a.k.a. Echo is a deaf Marvel superhero that pops up in comics (Moon Knight by Bendis is one). Gorgon was wheelchair bound for the duration of All-New Inhumans, which is a run that's only a year old at this point.

There are others, but I can't think of them immediately. It seems some others have got your back on some of these already. I'll try to think of some other runs.

Sandfox

Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon/Gail Simone. One of the 3 main characters is physically disabled. The book is awesome too.

Losing a notable disabled hero like Oracle is one of the annoying things about the direction the New 52 took Batgirl.

Oh, Avatar: The Last Airbender has Toph Beifong, who is blind. Then there's Strix from DC, who is mute.

I'm just sort of throwing out any physical disability I can think of, so I apologize if they don't fit exactly what you're looking for.
Anyone felt like Impulse's mom sleeping with Captain Boomarang was some skeevy shit?

A superhero's mom sleeping with a supervillain? Noooooooo that isn't skeevy at all.
Losing a notable disabled hero like Oracle is one of the annoying things about the direction the New 52 took Batgirl.

Yeah, but I'm really enjoying Simone's run. It's dealing with the subject very well, I feel.

Hawkeye is deaf. There was a great issue in Matt Fraction's run focusing on it. Lots of use of sign language and empty word bubbles throughout.

Niles Caulder from Doom Patrol is wheelchair-bound usually too.

Yea I didn't like the move at all. Her as oracle generated so many interesting stories. And now that they've done it there's no going back. They'd catch too much hell.

And now in the limited samples since the costume change they're writing her with a different personality than what I was a fan of. So now I have now stopped caring about the character until they decide to do something different.

Not Simone's run?
Eh not really. I read it all and it was ok at best. Simone is really hot or miss with me and that run felt like it had no real direction. Babs wasn't written as strongly as I would have liked. She's constantly self doubting herself at every turn throughout the whole run. Not like she was as Oracle at all. I know having some trepidation getting back in the game but it never seemed to stop.

And then when her run was over babs got de aged and had her personality fused with Steph

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They reverted that? He still wore hearing aids in All New Hawkeye and I assumed they kept it going forward after that. I haven't read anything with him since then though.

If he wears hearing aids, he aint deaf.
Unless its a cochlea implantat, but it was one of the ones you wear if you just cant hear very well.

1upsuper

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it. I'll look into all your recommendations!

Do any of those characters struggle with their disability, or do they compensate with their other skills so the disability kinda dissolves into the background? I watched the Daredevil Netflix series and I was disappointed that
aside from a couple moments, like when his ears ring,
Daredevil more than makes up for his blindness with his superhuman hearing and spacial awareness. I don't know the medium well enough to say if that's typical or not. It's cool when I can see myself in other characters but it's tough when I always find the well-meaning but misguided message that disability doesn't matter, or when characters "overcome" what is a fundamental part of their being so simply. Perhaps the opposite would rub uncomfortably against the superpower angle though.

mreddie

Thinking about replacing Janet for awhile.

Who will replace her?

Nadia?
Gwenpool?
Zatanna?
Lego Marvel?
Morrigan from MVC3?

Aizo

Banned
The last issue of Gotham Academy vol. 3 was much better. I bought that vol and all the second semester issues during the SDCC sale. Been holding off because I don't want it to end. :(

God I really want to like Champions. I really do. I was so excited for this book.

Goddamnit Waid
Eh not really. I read it all and it was ok at best. Simone is really hot or miss with me and that run felt like it had no real direction. Babs wasn't written as strongly as I would have liked. She's constantly self doubting herself at every turn throughout the whole run. Not like she was as Oracle at all. I know having some trepidation getting back in the game but it never seemed to stop.

And then when her run was over babs got de aged and had her personality fused with Steph
I've been reading it, and I disagree that it has no direction. Barbara doubts herself a lot early on, but grows stronger. The run is entirely focused on Barbara recovering from her trauma and becoming Batgirl again, which is hard for her, given that she spent years not being able to walk. She's basically reintegrating into normal life, and as she does so, her past is coming out of the woodwork to haunt her. Take the reemergence of James Jr. and the return of her mother. Not only that, she has to face many just like her: survivors of great trauma who chose to use their pain into a form of vigilantism, but have gone down a much more twisted direction. I think Simone really captures a strong inner voice for her that provides a great narrative.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it. I'll look into all your recommendations!

Do any of those characters struggle with their disability, or do they compensate with their other skills so the disability kinda dissolves into the background? I watched the Daredevil Netflix series and I was disappointed that
aside from a couple moments, like when his ears ring,
Daredevil more than makes up for his blindness with his superhuman hearing and spacial awareness. I don't know the medium well enough to say if that's typical or not. It's cool when I can see myself in other characters but it's tough when I always find the well-meaning but misguided message that disability doesn't matter, or when characters "overcome" what is a fundamental part of their being so simply. Perhaps the opposite would rub uncomfortably against the superpower angle though.
Daredevil's blindness as a disability changes with the writer. The thing about Matt is that he's extremely capable, and years of training and honing his abilities has made him to function normally. His blindness is typically used as a guise, almost, to fake out his opponents. People would never suspect a blind lawyer to be a superhero. Stan Lee and Bendis' runs go into this a bit. In Soule's run, it does actively show the downside to his ability. For example, he goes to disarm a bomb, but he can't see the timer because the screen is digital and therefore has no physical moving parts that allow him to see what's on it. He also is incapable of differentiating the wiring because he can't see color.

Yep, and he has the hearing aids during Occupy as well.

And in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool and I think Kot's Secret Avengers.

Aizo

Banned
This might be a dumb question that everyone knows the answer to, but what is Grant Morrison doing nowadays?

Top Bottom