• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

DC's 2017 Writers Workshop Class Roster Named

Heat Vision can exclusively reveal that the writers participating in this year's Writers Workshop program are Magdalene Visaggio (Kim & Kim, Quantum Teens Are Go), Sanya Anwar (1001), Joey Esposito (Pawn Shop, Captain Ultimate), Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Last Sons of America, Warlords of Appalachia), Robert Jeffrey (Route 3, Radio Free Amerika), and Ryan Cady (Big Moose).

Messi, can the solicit for the issue in the article be added to the future November OT?

This is a industry where people believe in snake gods, everything can happen here.

Morrison's occult war with Moore is 100% real, or at least, Morrison certainly believes it is.

Y'all should read Supergods, if you haven't already. Part history of the medium, part autobiography. Gives a hell of a look into Morrison's mind.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Comic Book Day Covers!

DGzMAfHXkAIuTY-.jpg

Mister Miracle 1: Not really sure about this one, I am gonna give it one more issue but I wasn't too impressed.

Defenders 4: I liked the fight but the rest of this issue was pretty boring.

Aizo

Banned
I rarely reread, rewatch, replay things.

I read Mister Miracle a second time as soon as I finished it. I am intriguied.

Malyse

Gotham Academy Second Semester: Oh yeah, more crying over a book I love dying. I'll miss this book a lot. Granted, it wasn't perfect, but it was fascinating. School settings in cape universes are fascinating; I think that's part of the appeal of Spider-Man, Nova, and Ms. Marvel. Gotham Academy approached a well weathered trope from the opposite angle, eschewing the secret identity and pushing mystery to the forefront, something I personally have always loved and love here. Truly a treasure of a book. I wish DC did the Marvel postscript from the creator thing. I would have liked reading it.

Harley Quinn: I'm glad this artist is back. The other one was okay, but I like this better. Does Ivy's outfit change every appearance? Also, Harley makes me hopeful for Gwenpool: she was a nothing character at her start too and she's become an icon. I hate it when a "double size" issue just means there's a backup story. T_T

Hulk: I like that Jen is explicitly not being a superhero, just doing her best to help people. You would think she'd have invested is some stretchy clothes by now though. Weird thought: I wish they had Sana Takeda on the art.

Immortal Iron Fists: Pei continues to slay. Her classmates are dumb as shit though. How do you not recognize her hairstyle? The art for this is perfect.

Inhumans - Once and Future Kings: Why are the comics making Inhumans TV look even more trash? It would have been an amazingly cool take for the Inhumans show to be set before Blackbolt and Medusa took the throne. I think it would have made them way more appealing and approachable too. Priest knocked it out of the park with this one. I need to know what the definitive run for Inhumans is.

ALSO: Young Medusa is my favorite character since Young Jean

No? Just no point in picking it every month when it's only me buying it. I enjoy the book.

Now you lost me. Are you not buying it because no one else in the thread does and you wouldn't have anyone to discuss it with? Shit, if my pulls were dictated by what you guys read I would legit quit comics.

Glix

Todays List:

Jean Grey Generations - Better than Hulk, but weird. Are these just fleeting one shots? Is there some entity/force causing this? Its strange that both issues opened with the modern hero, somewhere else with no idea how they got there. Framing device to make it easier for the writers to set these up? Or a hint as to something pertaining to Legacy?

Cap 25 - Bought because of the cool Steranko variant. Gah, more Secret Invasion garbage, but Sames speech was pretty cool.

Thor God of Thunder Vol1
Thor God of Thunder Vol2

Batman (Snyder) vol 7
Batman (Snyder) vol 8

The difference financially between collecting DC and Marvel is insane. I can't believe the gulf between the tpb prices.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Now you lost me. Are you not buying it because no one else in the thread does and you wouldn't have anyone to discuss it with? Shit, if my pulls were dictated by what you guys read I would legit quit comics.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Buy what you enjoy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love to talk more about what I am currently reading but it would be mostly a monologue and I dont want to annoy you.
Also I am tired as fuck and already think that I made a bad mistake in deciding to watch Akira due the tiredness.

Lashley

I would love to talk more about what I am currently reading but it would be mostly a monologue and I dont want to annoy you.
Also I am tired as fuck and already think that I made a bad mistake in deciding to watch Akira due the tiredness.

Do it man, I like reading peoples thoughts on comics, even/especially if its just a sentence or two

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do it man, I like reading peoples thoughts on comics, even/especially if its just a sentence or two
I think I am gonna do it tomorrow or Friday. I am just to tired right now for a text with a couple of hundred words 🙈 I am already way to late for my Skull Island review in my Kaiju thread 🙈🙈🙈

What version?
Its lasting 124 minutes - No idea what version that is

I think I am gonna do it tomorrow or Friday. I am just to tired right now for a text with a couple of hundred words 🙈 I am already way to late for my Skull Island review in my Kaiju thread 🙈🙈🙈

Its lasting 124 minutes - No idea what version that is
Where are you watching it? Blu-ray?

Wanderer5

It perfect mate. Better first issue than Vision.

Well, we're one issue in, but it's not Kirby Mr. Miracle. That much is clear. Exactly what it is going to be is still up in the air.

I loved the hell out of it, fwiw.

Judging from the other comments, this seems like a... interesting take on the character heh. But it is Tom King, so it could pull through. I be waiting for the trades really.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I find it really hard to have an opinion about Mr. Miracle because
it's very apparent that nothing in it is on the up and up. Barda's eyes are a different color, dead people are showing up, Glorious Godfrey is around. I feel like I won't be able to actually judge anything for a few issues.

But I love the art.

And I'm out on Mr Miracle. Gerads art is great and it's written competently, but boy is that a take on Scott Free that I have no desire to read. It's very clear there's more going on that what it appears, but the first issue soured me enough that I don't care to stick around and see how King sorts it out.

I'm not out on it yet, but I feel you on this. I'm going to read the next issue and see what happens.
I opened to the first page and I was like "yeah, of course this is the route we are going to go (sarcasm)". I was really hoping for more of an upbeat comic.
The art is awesome.

Lashley

I know nothing about Mr Miracle, only what I read in Darkseid War

Yet to read Mr Miracle from today

I find it really hard to have an opinion about Mr. Miracle because
it's very apparent that nothing in it is on the up and up. Barda's eyes are a different color, dead people are showing up, Glorious Godfrey is around. I feel like I won't be able to actually judge anything for a few issues.

But I love the art.

My chief problem with the book was that it didn't do much beyond this
"nothing is what it seems"
trick. I had similar concerns with King's Batman #1 and really did not like the way that turned out.

Just didn't build tension the way I think it was meant to.

gaiadyne

Captain America 25: I liked the explanation for
why Miles didn't kill Cap
, but holy moly the way they
retrieve the last cosmic cube fragment
is the dumbest fucking thing I have read in a comic in years. I have trouble believing this was the plan for this development all along. It comes totally out of nowhere.

Sucks this book doesn't get a proper conclusion. I hate when books end with tie-ins.

All of this, too.

It was definitely one of the worse "ass" pulls I've ever seen

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
My chief problem with the book was that it didn't do much beyond this
"nothing is what it seems"
trick. I had similar concerns with King's Batman #1 and really did not like the way that turned out.

Just didn't build tension the way I think it was meant to.

That's totally true. I agree that I'm not nearly as into it as I was with Vision 1, but I feel like I can't judge how "good" this issue is without knowing where it goes from here.

And that attitude can't sustain itself for too long at $3.99 an issue.

So what's the word on the new Mister Miracle? Been enjoying the original run of him.
It's just one issue in so it's hard to say how it will end up. It's very much a different take, but I think it's pretty well written so far. I think your enjoyment of it will depend on what aspects of the characters you really care for. It's a lot moodier than the Kirby stuff obviously. But I'd say wait a few issues and see how everyone feels if you're on the fence.

Art is fantastic though. I think these are the best interiors by Gerards that I've seen.

Edit: I'd definitely agree that Vision had a much stronger opening issue

It was definitely one of the worse "ass" pulls I've ever seen

Yeah I mean, when you create a new character (I think this is a new character) who can
vomit up anything he sees, and that's how your protagonists get a critical item the entire plot hinges on. And you call him Barf.
And this is a story you've been building towards for years? Something has gone terribly wrong.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I mean, when you create a new character (I think this is a new character) who can
vomit up anything he sees, and that's how your protagonists get a critical item the entire plot hinges on. And you call him Barf.
And this is a story you've been building towards for years? Something has gone terribly wrong.

Sweet Jesus.

Lashley

Secret Empire has been so shit

Really lowered my opinion of Spencer (I don't follow him anymore on Twitter so don't care about his political rambling)

Secret Empire has been so shit

Really lowered my opinion of Spencer (I don't follow him anymore on Twitter so don't care about his political rambling)

I've been enjoying most of it, but man does it ever feel like Cap 25 and SE 8 have brought us past the point of no return into the Shit Event Zone

So many ass pulls. I count five.

Messi

My only problem with this event is just how fucking long it feels. DCs shit is over like bang bang bang. Weren't the button and JL vs Suicide Squad over in like a month?

Top Bottom