• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

God I really want to like Champions. I really do. I was so excited for this book.

Goddamnit Waid

I've been reading it, and I disagree that it has no direction. Barbara doubts herself a lot early on, but grows stronger. The run is entirely focused on Barbara recovering from her trauma and becoming Batgirl again, which is hard for her, given that she spent years not being able to walk. She's basically reintegrating into normal life, and as she does so, her past is coming out of the woodwork to haunt her. Take the reemergence of James Jr. and the return of her mother. Not only that, she has to face many just like her: survivors of great trauma who chose to use their pain into a form of vigilantism, but have gone down a much more twisted direction. I think Simone really captures a strong inner voice for her that provides a great narrative.

Daredevil's blindness as a disability changes with the writer. The thing about Matt is that he's extremely capable, and years of training and honing his abilities has made him to function normally. His blindness is typically used as a guise, almost, to fake out his opponents. People would never suspect a blind lawyer to be a superhero. Stan Lee and Bendis' runs go into this a bit. In Soule's run, it does actively show the downside to his ability. For example, he goes to disarm a bomb, but he can't see the timer because the screen is digital and therefore has no physical moving parts that allow him to see what's on it. He also is incapable of differentiating the wiring because he can't see color.

And in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool and I think Kot's Secret Avengers.
I think Bendis is the only major one who forgets it consistently(but then again he's also the only big one who writes Clint as "the killing Avenger").

Two days I forget to check my library website and they add a bunch of new books. And most of them already have 10+ people in queue waiting. -_-

They did add Hostage and Flintstones v1 and WW v2, so excited for those.

(Will also be getting Tokyo Ghost, Black Hammer, Hype, Roughneck, Shattered Warrior sometime in the future).

ElNarez

Banned
Mister Miracle.

Yeah. Yeah it's legit. It's the stuff.

God that page of Kirby narration while Scot is clutching his bleeding wrists hits HARD.

tim1138

And I'm out on Mr Miracle. Gerads art is great and it's written competently, but boy is that a take on Scott Free that I have no desire to read. It's very clear there's more going on that what it appears, but the first issue soured me enough that I don't care to stick around and see how King sorts it out.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mister Miracle.

God that page of Kirby narration while Scot is clutching his bleeding wrists hits HARD.

And I'm out on Mr Miracle. Gerads art is great and it's written competently, but boy is that a take on Scott Free that I have no desire to read. It's very clear there's more going on that what it appears, but the first issue soured me enough that I don't care to stick around and see how King sorts it out.

neogaf.gif

Short interview with Berger.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...mics-interiors-and-tells-all-on-berger-books/

Lu: So how did David Aja get involved with Berger Books?

Berger: He and Ann Nocenti approached me. Actually, David had approached Ann a few years ago…I think they worked on a couple of Daredevils a few years ago. They really hit it off and he said, “I love your work. I love your writing. Let’s work together.” So they’ve been trying to work together on something for a while. [The Seeds] came together [and] they approached me. David is a big fan of my work, too, apparently. He grew up reading Ann’s stuff and my stuff.

And Ann– she did Someplace Strange, which was a graphic novel like almost 30 years ago now, before you were born…but this is the first [creator-owned series] that she’s done, too.

Surprised to hear that Nocenti hasn't done a creator-owned series before.

Messi

Mister Miracle.

Neogaf Boyz

Malyse

Action Comics and All New Wolverine: not much to say. They step the story ahead one pace.

Amazing Spider-Man: TBH, I was curious how they would resolve the Parker industries arc, but I wasn't expecting that. I loved everything in this issue.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: I think Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy should interact at some point. They both have such interesting world views. So is this the new team now? I'd like them to face off with Defiance. I want everyone to face off with Defiance.

Captain America: yeah fucking right, Spencer.
T'Challa loses his fight, but fucking Emma Frost wins hers.
. Also I feel like I was sold a bill of goods.
Where was the fight? Sam and Steve didn't even meet, let alone fight.

Clue continues to be the best.

Aizo

Banned
List

Redneck #3
Secret Empire (2017) #8
Manifest Destiny #29-30
Low #18
Kill Or Be Killed #11
Mister Miracle #1
Detective Comics #962
Gotham Academy: Second Semester #11-12

The other things include waging a occult war with Alan Moore btw.
This article is satire, yes? ...No?

Mark Lichtman says he represented Miller for nearly three decades, managing his entertainment business interests from his graphic novels, films and television projects. He's lost his copy of their original contract, but claims it entitles him to 10 percent of Miller's entertainment earnings from deals entered into during their business relationship.

Yeah good luck with that mate.

Yeeesssss, I've been waiting on this:
fuotb.jpg

From comics legend Kurt Busiek, Wonder Woman’s classic adventures are collected in WONDER WOMAN: FORGOTTEN LEGENDS.

Preparing to depart Paradise Island forever, Queen Hippolyta learns an untold tale of the legendary Amazon—the return of Atomia! Then Wonder Woman is transported to the 63rd century to save the Amazons from a race of pig-men who have inhabited their island, and from their abandonment of Aphrodite’s ways. With surprise appearances by Batman, Black Canary, Changeling and Darkseid!

Collects THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN #1-4 (1986), WONDER WOMAN #318, WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #2, WONDER WOMAN GALLERY #1.

I liked Mister Miracle a lot. Gerards art looks so good here, I really liked how he drew everyone and his use of effects.

Story has a pretty interesting hook so far too. Plus
Scott and Barda have cats. Greatest couple in superhero comics confirmed.

Malyse

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again: I think Bunn is trying to claim the crown for least competently written Gwenpool cameo of all time. Also, I think the last page reveal was supposed to be awesome, but I thought it was just irritating.

Defenders: Oh shit a crossover out of nowhere! This is the type of thing I love comics to do and I wish it happened more often outside of events. Why couldn't we have this Danny on Netflix? If the show is even a fraction as hype as this book, it's gonna be amazing.

Detective Comics: I wanna marry her too, Cass and Kate. Wow what an ending. Can we reboot the Batman Arkham games to be about the entire family? It's incredible how good these books are.

Edge of Venomverse: What the fuck was that? I have no frame of reference for any of this? I'm so confused? Anyway, I don't like this and I'm at 50% on the event, so I might be skipping this one.

Generations The Pheonix: Thinking about it
The Watcher should be at all of these events, right?
Like, that should be part of the crux of the event itself. I continue to really like Young Jean Grey. I hope she gets added in more Marvel games soon; much more interesting than the Pheonix.

Why didn't Hopeless write this?

Aizo

Banned
Mister Miracle

Did I miss something?
When does this take place? How is Darkseid around?
Possibilities being that Scott is currently dead, it's an alternate world, or anti-life equation is involved somehow?

I'm not super knowledgeable, because I've just read New Gods and Mister Miracle original runs, and then random shit Orion and Scott were in on teams, but the feelings Barda and Scott have for Orion... have they expressed them like that before? Also, is this hit, stand thing a callback that I don't get?

Otherwise, I'm totally on for the ride. Should be wild.
"Darkseid is."
What do you think it means? Is the panel location meaningful?
Rock of Ages relevant?
--
Tim, could you talk more about why you don't like King's Scott? Is it
how he acts when he's cheerful or how he acts when he's down? Both? I think, as you said yourself, more is at play here, so I'm confused about you not wanting to find out why things are the way they are.

mreddie

okay what's the deal with that secret empire rewrite?

The good guys are about to get fucked and suddenly, they become John Cena and no sell shit.

I honestly don't know if that was a rewrite but in the space of 4 pages it's we're boned to FUCK YEAH!

tim1138

Mister Miracle

Did I miss something?
When does this take place? How is Darkseid around?
Possibilities being that Scott is currently dead, it's an alternate world, or anti-life equation is involved somehow?

I'm not super knowledgeable, because I've just read New Gods and Mister Miracle original runs, and then random shit Orion and Scott were in on teams, but the feelings Barda and Scott have for Orion... have they expressed them like that before? Also, is this hit, stand thing a callback that I don't get?

Otherwise, I'm totally on for the ride. Should be wild.
"Darkseid is."
What do you think it means? Is the panel location meaningful?
Rock of Ages relevant?
--
Tim, could you talk more about why you don't like King's Scott? Is it
how he acts when he's cheerful or how he acts when he's down? Both? I think, as you said yourself, more is at play here, so I'm confused about you not wanting to find out why things are the way they are.

Mr Miracle stuff:

So first and foremost, Scott as a suicidal wreck is the antithesis of the character. I have no problem with sad bastard comics generally or sad bastard comics by King specifically, but this is so far removed from what I enjoy about Mr Miracle that I just don't care to see what happens next. A Scott Free who has given up on life is no Scott Free I care to read about.

Beyond that, the first issue read as much more of a celebration of Alan Moore style comics (subverting something bright) than Jack Kirby comics. Couple all that with the fact that the New Gods are my favorite comic characters and Kirby's Fourth World is my favorite run of comics ever, and yeah this just isn't for me.

ElNarez

Banned
Mr Miracle stuff:

So first and foremost, Scott as a suicidal wreck is the antithesis of the character. I have no problem with sad bastard comics generally or sad bastard comics by King specifically, but this is so far removed from what I enjoy about Mr Miracle that I just don't care to see what happens next. A Scott Free who has given up on life is no Scott Free I care to read about.

Beyond that, the first issue read as much more of a celebration of Alan Moore style comics (subverting something bright) than Jack Kirby comics. Couple all that with the fact that the New Gods are my favorite comic characters and Kirby's Fourth World is my favorite run of comics ever, and yeah this just isn't for me.

The Moore comparison is the thing that obviously pops because of the page structure, but I feel like it's deliberately a post-Moore work? As in, what it's asking is "What do you do after you've found out that everything is fucked, on a structural level?" instead of just "What if things were fucked and also bad?".

Batman #23 is full-on Moore celebration. This is exploration of the trauma he left, through use of DC's living metaphors.
I don't really read Scott's suicide attempt as him giving up on life, I think, rather, that it's expressing the super-flawed and fucked up belief that suicide is the truest act of free will.

Captain America 25: I liked the explanation for
why Miles didn't kill Cap
, but holy moly the way they
retrieve the last cosmic cube fragment
is the dumbest fucking thing I have read in a comic in years. I have trouble believing this was the plan for this development all along. It comes totally out of nowhere.

Sucks this book doesn't get a proper conclusion. I hate when books end with tie-ins.

Captain America: yeah fucking right, Spencer.
T'Challa loses his fight, but fucking Emma Frost wins hers.
. Also I feel like I was sold a bill of goods.
Where was the fight? Sam and Steve didn't even meet, let alone fight.

All of this, too.

Aizo

Banned
Mr Miracle stuff:

This doesn't change your personal feelings about the book, but
what if Scott was being controlled by the anti life equation? Or what if Oberon's death coupled with things we don't yet know pushed him over the edge? What if he really did it as an escape? We just know too little right now.

tim1138

This doesn't change your personal feelings about the book, but
what if Scott was being controlled by the anti life equation? Or what if Oberon's death coupled with things we don't yet know pushed him over the edge? What if he really did it as an escape? We just know too little right now.

Oh like I said I'm sure everything it not as it seems, whether it's the fever dreams of a dying man, Glorious Godfrey's influence,
or Darkseid directly.
Regardless this issue left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not one to keep throwing money at books I don't like. I'm glad everyone else liked it, just wasn't my jam.

Mr Miracle stuff:

Yikes.

Since I wasn't really part of the comics community when this was published, what were the reactions to this? What do people think now?

"Cool, the two comic wizards battle each other in their spare time. As long as it doesn't delay Morrisons' books we're fine with this." IIRC.

Aizo

Banned
"Cool, the two comic wizards battle each other. As long as it doesn't delay Morrisons' books we're fine with this." IIRC.
So everyone took the article at face value. I dunno. I read it and was really blown away by the wizardness.

I think I'm making a thread.

Top Bottom