• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

ElNarez

Banned
My only problem with this event is just how fucking long it feels. DCs shit is over like bang bang bang. Weren't the button and JL vs Suicide Squad over in like a month?

The Button was 4 issues in as many weeks, JL vs Squad was a 7-issue weekly with four tie-ins.

Metal is the big one, and it's 6 months, plus two if you count The Forge and The Casting building it up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've been enjoying most of it, but man does it ever feel like Cap 25 and SE 8 have brought us past the point of no return into the Shit Event Zone

So many ass pulls. I count five.

Barf barfing that up was a fitting metaphor for this event, and those two issues

Messi

The Button was 4 issues in as many weeks, JL vs Squad was a 7-issue weekly with four tie-ins.

Metal is the big one, and it's 6 months, plus two if you count The Forge and The Casting building it up.

That's fair enough. Plus I suppose this Venomverse stuff is actually weekly

Dalek

Yeah I mean, when you create a new character (I think this is a new character) who can
vomit up anything he sees, and that's how your protagonists get a critical item the entire plot hinges on. And you call him Barf.
And this is a story you've been building towards for years? Something has gone terribly wrong.
Are you kidding me??

Malyse

Injustice 2: I like this take on Barbara Gordon. Actually I think I like the character of Barbara Gordon more than the concept of Barbara Gordon. Like, I read and enjoy her in books a lot, but at no point would I say "yeah I'm a fan of Babs". Damian still is a little shit. This is some great lore for a game I'm not interested in.

Jean Grey: I'm revising the list. This is easy the top Ongoing X-Book and it's not even close. I love that Young Jean has completely different powers manifesting than Pheonix. Also, Olivia Munn was probs the biggest miscast in the X-Men movies.

Mister Miracle: Maybe it's because I don't have a great DC frame of reference, but I really didn't "get" most of this. That being said, the part I got was fascinating and I wanna see where this goes.

Rocket: I probably should have dropped this last month, but I didn't. Who knew that a Deadpool cameo would make Rocket one of the best books of the week? It was more or less a standalone issue and I strongly recommend it. Shockingly good.

Secret Empire: I think for all its flaws, Secret Empire is still an interesting concept. I think that it could be redeemed via a different medium (audio drama, novel, movie). That being said, fuck off Spencer re
Black Panther
. I have thoughts about the last page reveal, but they are loose. Something along the lines of energy can't be created or destroyed and in parallel
the souls of Steve, Kobik, and Skull can never truly die, which in turn leads to an extrapolationary theory about the metaphysics comic book death and why no character who dies stays dead

Also, I'm glad
Darkforce and Planetary Shield are gone
so the tie ins can drop the event.

Vyer

Mr Miracle was an interesting first issue.

Miracle and Omega Men spoiler:
clearly Scott's 'escape from death' mindset is a 'beheading Kyle' type misdirect but I am definitely wanting to know more, especially with Oberon and Godfrey in the fray. Felt very Vision for me, though not quite as unsettling.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

mreddie

Mags jumping to DC would suck but hey, Marvel loves those overrated white guys and AWARD WINNING writers who have all been a bust.

I really hope not. I'd hate to see Magdalene Visaggio have to give up Kim and Kim, Quantum Teens to go DC exclusive.

I wasn't... hugely impressed with the one issue of Kim & Kim: Love is a Battlefield I read. Weird plotting decisions.

How does Mr. miracle connect with Bug, and the current GL story arc.

No idea. Was anybody actually brave/foolish enough to read the new Hal issue?

mreddie

In my head canon the two month time skip didn't happen because it doesn't make any fucking sense

HYDRA America = Springfield from Simpsons Movie.

Inhumans = Inhumans in comics, bueno.
Inhumans in TV, AY CARUMBA

Ms. Marvel = Oh, that CW2 tie in makes more sense now.

Secret Warriors =
giphy.gif

Ms Marvel Continues to be the best comic running. The last 4 pages was also one the the best and most succinct explanations of how, scores of young white men have been radicalized into racist fascist shit Lords

I'll always wonder what he would have done with some lower level Marvel heroes.
Even higher ones have a lot of potential. I think a Spider-Man book by him could be very interesting, especially with a focus on relationships like in Vision/Mister Miracle.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I have just seen Akira and wtf it may the the one lf the strangest things ever.

LOL @ Hollywood wanting to turn this into a wester live-action movie

Malyse

Secret Warriors: Can I just say right from the start that the who's who page can fuck off? No one thinks Lunella is dead. NO ONE. I will support this team if they remain this hilariously dysfunctional. Karnak is such an ass. People really don't know Hawkeye is deaf, huh? Karnak is fucking ruthless!

I want a Karnak Deathstroke book.

Doctor Aphra: this book has no chill at all. Chelli seems to go from bad situation to worst situation every issue. I love her so much. I hope she's the new Sloane.

Cassian & K-2SO: is this a one shot or a series? The cover says 001 but it ends with no preview or to be continued. Well, I like it well enough and I'd read more if it happens.

Suicide Squad: Waller is a complete monster. Also, Harley Quinn is a surprisingly effective leader. I've always said she's more than she gets credit for, but this just proves it. That being said, it's completely impossible for Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn to both be happening. It's just not possible to rectify that continuity.

Ms. Marvel: Holy shit. This is so consistently excellent. It's weird though, because the arc of the story in Ms Marvel is a better Secret Empire tie in than the actual tie in that Secret Empire is using Ms Marvel for. Also:
how the fuck do people not know that that's Kamala? I'm head canoning that she slightly changes her size while heroing.

Characters I would like to see King write, off the top of my head: Moon Knight, Daredevil, Jessica Cruz, Wonder Man, Hyperion, Alfred

Spidey doesn't make my list but I'd take him on a Kaine book.

I want Doc Ock to revert back to being a pudgy guy with bowl shaped hair.

Not me. SupOck is the best

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Doctor Aphra and Cassian & K-2SO are both really good, hopefully the writer of Doctor Aphra brings the same goodness, and a good artist, when he takes over for Jason Aaron who honestly doesn't feel like he knows what he wants to do with the Star Wars comic anymore.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I want Doc Ock to revert back to being a pudgy guy with bowl shaped hair.
I was so pleased while Reading Clone Conspiracy, just to see Otto becoming this ugly, laughable looking Parker Fake.

How the current Issue of Spider-Man, anyway?
I heard Parker Industries is finally done and gone for good?

Sandfox

I liked the Jean Generations issue. It was a fun little story that makes me want to read more stuff with the character.

Characters I would like to see King write, off the top of my head: Moon Knight, Daredevil, Jessica Cruz, Wonder Man, Hyperion, Alfred

Spidey doesn't make my list but I'd take him on a Kaine book.

Not me. SupOck is the best
Yeah, I prefer the new version.

I was so pleased while Reading Clone Conspiracy, just to see Otto becoming this ugly, laughable looking Parker Fake.

I think this arc probably had the best conclusion Slott has had in ASM in a while. I liked it as a whole.

Yup, Peter shut it down, therefore ruining Ock's primary objective.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yup, Peter shut it down, therefore ruining Ock's primary objective.
Fucking Finally.

People on the Facebook side of Spider-Man Crawlspace complain, that
Spider-Man cant have Character progression and stay the bad Tony Stark Ripoff forever.
Welcome to Comics! The Status Quo will always come back for AAA properties like Spider-Man, Batman, etc.
The question is when.

Sandfox

Fucking Finally.

People on the Facebook side of Spider-Man Crawlspace complain, that
Spider-Man cant have Character progression and stay the bad Tony Stark Ripoff forever.
Welcome to Comics! The Status Quo will always come back for AAA properties like Spider-Man, Batman, etc.
The question is when.
If the speculation about Peter's new job is true I would consider that to be a more fitting way to progress the character.

Top Bottom