• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When I said "buckled down" I didn't literally mean that he'd be on his knees. That's almost...disappointing.

He's also called Scott more of a villain than he ever was, so there's that.

Eldren

Dead Presidents is alright, it's just that it goes on a bit too long. 4 or 5 issues would have been better than the 6 it ran for. It did provide the set up for the rest of the series though, and Brian Posehn managed to get a Pantera reference into a Marvel comic, so it's not all bad.

But yeah it's definitely the weaker of the first two arcs (I'm reading in trades so I haven't read The Good, The Bad & The Ugly arc yet.) The flashback issue is amazing and the second arc is really good. I've heard it gets even better so I'm looking forward to getting the third trade in January.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dead Presidents is alright, it's just that it goes on a bit too long. 4 or 5 issues would have been better than the 6 it ran for. It did provide the set up for the rest of the series though, and Brian Posehn managed to get a Pantera reference into a Marvel comic, so it's not all bad.

But yeah it's definitely the weaker of the first two arcs (I'm reading in trades so I haven't read The Good, The Bad & The Ugly arc yet.) The flashback issue is amazing and the second arc is really good. I've heard it gets even better so I'm looking forward to getting the third trade in January.

The most recent one was really really good, easily the best so far.

Eldren

The most recent one was really really good, easily the best so far.

Argh only a month left to wait! I've read the odd preview (although not too much, in case I spoiled it) and it looks so damn good. Love the art (Shalvey + Bellaire, yes please) and it seems like it's a bit more serious as well. Proof that Duggan and Posehn aren't just one-note comedians and can write a serious comic. Super excited to pick it up.

One more week! :D

kVCus0k.jpg

thetechkid

So I was talking to my friend and they said that they wanted to get into Marvel comics. I asked them what hero/characters they liked and would like to start off with and they said spiderman. What I'm wondering about is where to recommend to start because I don't know if telling them to start off with Superior or Ultimate right now would be the best thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I was talking to my friend and they said that they wanted to get into Marvel comics. I asked them what hero/characters they liked and would like to start off with and they said spiderman. What I'm wondering about is where to recommend to start because I don't know if telling them to start off with Superior or Ultimate right now would be the best thing.

Either have them start with Big Time, Brand New Day (which is a great place to jump into the 616 Spidey), or from the beginning of Ultimate.

Cheska

So damn glad I bought Haley #0 this week. LCS has ONE copy left and after forgetting to pick it up last week, seeing it get high praises in here and listening to a podcast with Amanda and Jimmy on it, I knew I had to have it. Fucking brilliant, seriously! Would have easily made my top 3 had I read it when it came out.

On to some stuff from this week:

Velvet #2
Who knew an issue where there wasn't much being said could be so fun? The art is spot on, and I'm digging the hell out of the Rogue streak in Velvet's hair. Super interested to see where this goes.

Action Comics #26
That ending, AND THOSE FEELS! "I smell gardenias", awww. Only thing I think will take a little getting used to is Aaron Kuder's art, it reminds me a lot of Quietly's and I'm not exactly a huge fan of that style.

Batman/Superman #6
Ehh, it was okay. I MUCH preferred the first arc that included Selina and Lois and futures Supes/Dark Knight.

Still have a pile to go through, including Rover Red Charlie which I'm very eager to dig into. Devastated that Fearless Defenders ended, it was one of my favorites.

Still have a pile to go through, including Rover Red Charlie which I'm very eager to dig into. Devastated that Fearless Defenders ended, it was one of my favorites.

I dropped Fearless Defenders after 5 issues or so. Kinda wish I'd hung on 'til the end now, though, seeing as it had such a short run. Would you mind letting me know how it ended? Particularly regarding Val and Annabelle.

Owzers

I'm not even liking Aquaman, reading the rest of Johns run right now at issue 25, but i open up the 4th or so page and there's a nice splash page. Nothing terribly special, but after reading Infinity where splash pages were one of the worlds first destroyed by the builders, it's nice to have "moments" larger in scope than 1/4th of a page.

Nudull

Banned
I dropped Fearless Defenders after 5 issues or so. Kinda wish I'd hung on 'til the end now, though, seeing as it had such a short run. Would you mind letting me know how it ended? Particularly regarding Val and Annabelle.

I hope Annabelle and Ren end up in another book, somewhere. Hate to see more LGBT folk ending up in the obscure pile.

I'm not even liking Aquaman, reading the rest of Johns run right now at issue 25, but i open up the 4th or so page and there's a nice splash page. Nothing terribly special, but after reading Infinity where splash pages were one of the worlds first destroyed by the builders, it's nice to have "moments" larger in scope than 1/4th of a page.

I dropped it a few months ago. I liked most of the early issues well enough after 18 i just couldn't slog thorugh it any more

Messi

So I am a bit further in Deadpool. You guys were correct, it does get significantly better after the first dead presidents arc.

Vibranium

Banned
Velvet #2 Who knew an issue where there wasn't much being said could be so fun? The art is spot on, and I'm digging the hell out of the Rogue streak in Velvet's hair.

Velvet was awesome again with that Epting fast-paced art (issue 2 had the vibe of the Winter Soldier chase scene during Lark's arc), and yeah, I love the white streak in her hair too. More women should rock that look in real life, as a guy I find it super-attractive.

I dig her whole design actually, Velvet's face itself is very hard with a cold edge to it so she's super believable as badass former field agent. Brubaker and Epting continue to roll with the conspiracy!

Owzers

I dropped it a few months ago. I liked most of the early issues well enough after 18 i just couldn't slog thorugh it any more

I think they could have pieced together a good run but i didn't care for any individual arc, these last two issues have been good though. Johns is off the book now but the teaser at the end of his last issue is for a event/crossover with Justice League? How do you hype something coming up in the back half of 2014 instead of the next issue of Aquaman?

Today begins the great ebay adventure of Christmas 2014. Putting up all of Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity in a set along with Aquaman 1-25, and then finally Battle of the Atom when i read the last issue Xo.

Vibranium

Banned
Ryan Ottley (Invincible artist) posted this drawing he did for shits and giggles on twitter today:

Why hasn't Marvel pitched hard for Ryan instead of using Land and that Pham guy? He shouldn't be confined to just Invinicible's slow schedule. I know he said he's happy where he is but I reeeeally want to see him on one of their books.

Rat Queens 4 lyfe.

Get back with impressions once you check out the podcasts, if you feel so inclined. The Comics Alternative just released their December Previews catalogue episode and I always enjoy those episodes because they shed light on alternative and indie titles on the horizon. Also, the most recent Inkstuds is an interview with Hellen Jo that is terribly interesting and entertaining whether you've heard of her work or not (I hadn't).

I've been listening to a bunch of different podcasts trying to find some that I actually look forward to listening to. One's that I enjoy are: Comics Geek Speak, iFanboy (their picks of the week one), The Comic Conspiracy (this is recorded by some of the guys who own a comic shop in the South Bay, CA), and finally Moms Read Comics by Comicosity. I especially love the latter because they generally have a special guest star which is someone from the comics industry, and it's always fun to hear them shed light on what they're working on, etc.

ComicVine has some podcasts too but I find that they can be a little too long for my taste.

So far I've listened to some ifanboy, house to astonish and comics geek speak. Really enjoyed everything I've heard so far. Only small issue is the ifanboy discussions / reviews are filled with spoilers and I've been typically reading trades and older stuff so I don't know if I will keep up with it for that reason. I'm going to listen to some 11 o'clock comics next

Either way thanks for the recommendations.

Anybody still reading Sheltered? I just read the most recent issue, which wraps the arc. This was to be the one that helped me decide whether to continue with it. In the end, it'll probably come down to how I feel when I read the preview for #6.

It's tough with this series. Though I have a hard time suspending disbelief at times, I do find it tense and gripping and full of surprises. I dunno. If I'll leave it, I'll leave it still curious as to what happens next. Just not curious enough.

Loxley

Ottley is so great. Too bad Invincible is on like a quarterly release schedule. Maybe Kirkman is taking over Inhuman? Lol

Why hasn't Marvel pitched hard for Ryan instead of using Land and that Pham guy? He shouldn't be confined to just Invinicible's slow schedule. I know he said he's happy where he is but I reeeeally want to see him on one of their books.

After he posted the drawing, Ottley had a nice little exchange with Greg Capullo:

28vt.jpg

headshot95

Neo Member
Hey, I saw you guys were just talking about Deadpool. I'm loving the current Deadpool run with Marvel right now and was wondering if there were any other good trades or graphic novels of Deadpool I could check out. I saw that Deadpool by Daniel Way vol. 2 is coming out next week. Anybody know anything about that series? Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Also, Velvet #2 was sick

I'm thinking of grabbing a few trades this weekend. I've got my eye on Batgirl and Robin: Year One, and the deluxe hardcover of Solo. Any good?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey, I saw you guys were just talking about Deadpool. I'm loving the current Deadpool run with Marvel right now and was wondering if there were any other good trades or graphic novels of Deadpool I could check out. I saw that Deadpool by Daniel Way vol. 2 is coming out next week. Anybody know anything about that series? Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Also, Velvet #2 was sick

Way's Deadpool only has like three good trades. Dark Reign (the best), Magnum Opus (the second best) and the one where he does an X-Men team up. Everything else is middling to bad.

And the wallet killing season continues as there's a Strangers in Paradise sale on Comixology.

They're also having an Inhumans sale with all the limited series and stuff like FF #45-48, which are part of what's probably the most seminal Marvel run ever.

Veelk

Banned
Greg Pak is the first person to really nail the voice of "younger, less experiened" Superman since the New 52 started. The other writers in the chain are writing good Supes stories too, but his is definitely the best of the bunch.

Isn't he only 2 issues in? Is that clear enough to make that call already?

I really liked his Year Zero story, but the S shield crown still belongs to snyder atm. But I'm just glad we're getting good superman stories.

ReiGun

Isn't he only 2 issues in? Is that clear enough to make that call already?

I really liked his Year Zero story, but the S shield crown still belongs to snyder atm. But I'm just glad we're getting good superman stories.

We've got two issues of Action and six issues of Bats/Supes to judge him on. I've definitely enjoyed his Supes more than Synder's. Not a knock on Synder, of course, as his Superman is good too.

Gothos

I'm after six issues of Superior Spider-Man and it's surprisingly good! It's nice to have Peter in the background, it gives more relevance to the whole idea, I like it.

I would kill to see Ottley on Spider-Man on an ongoing basis. Would be a match made in heaven imo.

I'm after six issues of Superior Spider-Man and it's surprisingly good! It's nice to have Peter in the background, it gives more relevance to the whole idea, I like it.

I recently started reading this also, i really enjoy it.
Bought the first 3 TPB's and all the singles up to the current issue. Now i need to go back and read Amazing Spider-Man leading up to Superior Spidey.

I read "Clone" TPB Vol.1 today, randomly bought it with some other comics from TWAF for like 3/4$. I really liked the art and the story was pretty cool. Got me interested to see some more.

arkon

Read Black Science #1 and Velvet #1. I think I'm going to really enjoy the both of them.

I hope Remender and co. really go crazy with the alien worlds. I want to see more weird and wonderful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom