• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have Halle Berry play hot New 52 Waller.

67b.jpg

I'm hype for this movie. Even if it's bad, it'll be an entertaining clusterfuck.

What if Joker is secretly the right hand man to Waller, then he'll give a Wikipedia lesson on his name during a hamfisted reveal.
Adam West Batman would've caught that sh*t the moment he introduced himself.

On a related note, I know I don't keep up with video games all that much anymore but what the hell is this?!?

UQUIYVB.jpg

Did they forget "Gears of Batman" was just a joke?

dan2026

Who in their right mind would ever add the Joker to any sort of team?

Even under pain of death he is never going to do what you tell him.

Adam West Batman would've caught that sh*t the moment he introduced himself.

On a related note, I know I don't keep up with video games all that much anymore but what the hell is this?!?

UQUIYVB.jpg

Did they forget "Gears of Batman" was just a joke?

A really terrible looking Batman design?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Aren't rights (especially media rights) the main thing though? I mean -- Vertigo has a heavier editorial presence and they have actual page rates but at the end of the day it looks like people (or at least the bigger names) have decided that it's a worse deal based on the rights.

It can be more than media rights, such as editorial concerns due the content involved. For example, Morrison on why it wasn't Happy! published by Vertigo.

Nrama: Grant, you’ve had brief stops at Image writing smaller pieces like Spawn, and done creator-owned work in the past, but why was now the right time for you to step out and do Happy! at Image and not Vertigo where you’ve done creator-owned work like Joe The Barbarian and Sea Guy?

Morrison: (...) Happy! is also a fairly hardcore adult book in terms of its language, violence and twisted sexuality (we couldn’t find a single page to put in Previews that didn’t have to be censored!). I know from previous discussions that Karen Berger’s a little uncomfortable with any story that puts children in sexual peril so this is a book that would never have been appropriate for Vertigo under any circumstances and I’m grateful to Robert and Eric for seeing its obvious potential – and for understanding what it’s really about.

Why didn't I get Final Draft earlier? This shit just got so much easier. Girly Hijinks are on their way.

Ask for a refund and get Fade In, it's everything Final Draft should have been since eons ago.

http://www.fadeinpro.com/

People on gaming side, the people that will pony up $100 for collector's editions and such, will go gaga for it.

I really like the Arkham games, but man, that art style makes it very difficult.

Oh I'm sure you'll have plenty to choose from

uKuBunO.gif

EACH. That WB Games value.

And Harrier, he has a bloody eight-pack etched onto his stomach. He's covered in lines and extra bits. Less is more. Super-detailed costumes work in live action because they're generally not CGI, so they don't look like they have a layer of bacon fat on top of them.

frye

It can be more than media rights, such as editorial concerns due the content involved. For example, Morrison on why it wasn't Happy! published by Vertigo.

Sure, and I mentioned the editorial thing. It's probably one of the reasons why David Lapham never took Stray Bullets to Vertigo even though he did Young Liars there. There's definitely a kind of "Vertigo aesthetic." But -- and maybe this isn't representative -- of the people who've worked for them (and some who haven't) who have gone on to voice some displeasure at how things are handled over there, it seems to me that ownership is a big one.

e: actually rereading your original post i think i may have misunderstood it, I think we're on the same page

And Harrier, he has a bloody eight-pack etched onto his stomach. He's covered in lines and extra bits. Less is more. Super-detailed costumes work in live action because they're generally not CGI, so they don't look like they have a layer of bacon fat on top of them.

Is this a nu52 game?

Messi

This could end up being such a disappointment. What if they never meet or interact at all and it's like a sick joke

Joker is probably the team coordinator/manager guy. Covering the business end and whatnot.

right, off in the accounting department. Maybe 10 minutes of screen time max, and never meets anybody named Harleen Quinzel.

Guys please this day has been hard enough without these horrendous thoughts.

What it Joker hits Harley in the movie. People would go ape shit. It's uncomfortable in TAS but in a live action movie? :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
No, although Harley and Duela Dent have. Joker's only real appearance is in the animated movie, where he interferes with a mission via Harley.

Besada, you should post here regularly. We could use the legitimacy afforded by someone with a red name.
What kind of comics do you like?

besada, what's your avatar from? It looks like a 3rd Reich Thanos.

I looked it up once because I love the art style/design so much, but can't remember what it's from. But yeah, I love it. It looks a little bit Miller-esque.

Eddie Campbell's Bacchus!

That Top Shelf two-volume collection will come out any day now

Aaah yes. That's why I gave up on it when I looked it up that one time. It's out of print. I'd probably totally buy that two-volume collection if it came out.

Messi

You can bet your ass Joker will be allowed into the Suicide Squad book closer to the movie.

He was in two issues during the death of the family arc. The less said about those issues the better.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Guys please this day has been hard enough without these horrendous thoughts.

What it Joker hits Harley in the movie.
People would go ape shit. It's uncomfortable in TAS but in a live action movie? :(

It wouldn't be out of character to me, since he's the freaking Joker.

Boogiepop

So I'm definitely a weirdo for just leaving threads like this one that I'm constantly using as open tabs to refresh, looking at some responses. I don't have to find Comic GAF, I just never leave it....

Also, read Hellblazer vol. #2 up to the titular "Devil You Know" story, which was damn good. Loving this series so far!

Kipp

Also, read Hellblazer vol. #2 up to the titular "Devil You Know" story, which was damn good. Loving this series so far!

I just read that one today as well! So good.
And I love how casually such insane things happen. I love how he's just chilling on that last page, thinking about how his life is pretty good when five seconds ago
one of his friends became a demon and then was sent to hell to be tortured for basically forever.

besada

Banned
besada, what's your avatar from? It looks like a 3rd Reich Thanos.
Eddie Campbell's Bacchus, with Thanos skin.

Besada, you should post here regularly. We could use the legitimacy afforded by someone with a red name.
What kind of comics do you like?
Now that I have, it's more likely I will. I subscribe to every thread I post in, since I'm a mod, which means once I post, it's always bobbing around on my subscribed list.

I like all comics. I learned to read -- taught by my older brother -- with Spider-Man, but turned into a huge DC fanboy, mostly because of the Legion of Superheroes, and the Charlton characters they bought. But then DC decided to retcon out of existence some of my favorite characters, so I tried some Marvel and liked thwt too. I was pretty even for a long while, but slowly and surely Marvel has taken the best artists and writers and let them produce good books, where DC has turned into the House of Johns and DiDio, where no book goes unfucked.

So these days I like Marvel more. And then there's the indies. I love the indies. All sorts of them. We did a hipster/indie comic thread awhile back that's probably worth searching for, where I let my old ass suggest some good indie books.

Messi

It wouldn't be out of character to me, since he's the freaking Joker.

It's not out of character but it wouldn't change it being incredibly uncomfortable to watch. It's one thing in a cartoon and something totally different in a live action movie.

Zombine

Banned
Fuck, last night was awful. I got up at 3 in the morning to go to the bathroom and I slipped on a ton of floppies. It's gotten bad. I need to go 100% digital but I still feel that obligation to my LCS. What'll happen when I vanish? Maybe they'll think I died? Maybe I'm putting too much stock in my importance in the world and they won't even know?

CBTech

Fuck, last night was awful. I got up at 3 in the morning to go to the bathroom and I slipped on a ton of floppies. It's gotten bad. I need to go 100% digital but I still feel that obligation to my LCS. What'll happen when I vanish? Maybe they'll think I died? Maybe I'm putting too much stock in my importance in the world and they won't even know?

I'm glad that I never bought from a LCS much before I decided to go digital. I would feel awful about switching if I was a regular. I love those kind of shops. I guess I can still go buy trades from them.

Messi

Why are your floppies on the floor?

Kipp

Now that I have, it's more likely I will. I subscribe to every thread I post in, since I'm a mod, which means once I post, it's always bobbing around on my subscribed list.

I like all comics. I learned to read -- taught by my older brother -- with Spider-Man, but turned into a huge DC fanboy, mostly because of the Legion of Superheroes, and the Charlton characters they bought. But then DC decided to retcon out of existence some of my favorite characters, so I tried some Marvel and liked thwt too. I was pretty even for a long while, but slowly and surely Marvel has taken the best artists and writers and let them produce good books, where DC has turned into the House of Johns and DiDio, where no book goes unfucked.

So these days I like Marvel more. And then there's the indies. I love the indies. All sorts of them. We did a hipster/indie comic thread awhile back that's probably worth searching for, where I let my old ass suggest some good indie books.

Glad to hear it! I hope to see you around more often!
And that's interesting to hear about the history of your comics reading. What have been some of your favorite books recently?

Here's that hipster/indie comic thread and besada's post for anyone interested.

The true reason why digital is better than floppies. You can't slip on an iPad while going to the bathroom at 3 in the morning.
Also, you're so lucky that you get to think of 3 in the morning as the middle of the night. I have to think of 3 in the morning as the time when I'm making breakfast before work. Hmmph.

Zombine

Banned
Why are your floppies on the floor?

I had some under my computer desk on this shelf thing, and the slid down in the middle of the night. I stepped on Multiversity #1, it wasn't the Captain Carrot cover though.

Guys, I need to see Margot Robbie in her Harley gear. Why must I wait do long :(

The reports were wrong and Will Smith is actually Harley.

I have to think of 3 in the morning as the time when I'm making breakfast before work. Hmmph.

Kipp is a farmer confirmed.

Zombie slips on some floppies; Has an existential crisis....kind of.

Messi

I had some under my computer desk on this shelf thing, and the slid down in the middle of the night. I stepped on Multiversity #1, it wasn't the Captain Carrot cover though.

The reports were wrong and Will Smith is actually Harley.

Kipp is a farmer confirmed.

Atleast you didn't slip on any good comics. Crisis averted.

I need to see Will Smith in his Harley gear.

Cade

Man if you left the Captain Carrot cover Multiversity on the floor I wouldn't ever talk to you again Zombine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom