• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
I know a bunch of you read Grayson, so can someone confirm that it really is a riff off the old
Robin Dies at Dawn!
story or if that's just Rich projecting.

It's kinda? sorta? riffing on the theme maybe? There's elements you could point to that are similar? But not really, I mean, there's loads of walking through an unfriendly environment, and yeah companions are left by the wayside as a hero finds himself alone, but, I'm kinda expecting more for it to get that label? Like, there's no crazy mind experiment or space aliens or hallucinations.

I was wondering where the December thread went.

Anyone else doing the Marvel Unlimited subscription work around to get it for $9/year? Because I just did.

I am already in the middle of a 1 year subscription. I bought 3 for a friend though. Huge comics fan but $10 per month is still rather expensive in countries outside NA/EU.

fertygo

New Secret Six is decent, pretty art and interesting premise.. Black Alice is an cutie as always, but kinda not feeling this new even edgier Catman.. I'll keep reading, much more readable than Suicide Squad anyway.

tim1138

It's kinda? sorta? riffing on the theme maybe? There's elements you could point to that are similar? But not really, I mean, there's loads of walking through an unfriendly environment, and yeah companions are left by the wayside as a hero finds himself alone, but, I'm kinda expecting more for it to get that label? Like, there's no crazy mind experiment or space aliens or hallucinations.

I figured that was the case, thanks for the impressions.

Messi

I also found a place selling medium bags of imported Pretzel M&Ms and Candy Corn white M&Ms but they were charging €7.99 each no joke.

I just wanted those M&Ms :(

Bii

Wait 9 dollars per year?

How

Marvel has a promotion right now to get a month of Unlimited for $0.75. What you do is buy it as a gift and indicate that the gift will be sent to an email address that is not the one you use for your Unlimited account. There's a button that you check off that says "email it to me" or something along those lines, you make the payment for a monthly sub (use code MARVEL75 to see the discount), and make the purchase. An email will be sent to you with a redemption code. Rinse, repeat.

In order to redeem the codes, your sub would have to lapse before applying another 1-month code. Also, the $0.75 promo only lasts until midnight PT.

barrin87

New to the comics side of Gaf so hello! I haven't read comics that much in the past but wanting to get more into them. I just signed up for a year of Marvel Unlimited with their fantastic deal so I'm going to catch up on some of their stuff. Thinking about trying to tackle X-Men from the beginning since I quit last time only 30 issues in.

I grabbed the deluxe copy of Saga and started that last night. Only one issue into it so far and I'm hooked!

I read Brilliant #1 by Bendis yesterday. I only just about managed to finish reading the issue. It was bad. Every character in the comic that has a speech bubble is eminently punchable.

tim1138

Darwyn Cooke is gonna be at one of the Cincy cons next year, guess I better start saving up now to get some original art.

Cheska

New to the comics side of Gaf so hello! I haven't read comics that much in the past but wanting to get more into them. I just signed up for a year of Marvel Unlimited with their fantastic deal so I'm going to catch up on some of their stuff. Thinking about trying to tackle X-Men from the beginning since I quit last time only 30 issues in.

I grabbed the deluxe copy of Saga and started that last night. Only one issue into it so far and I'm hooked!

Saga was a fantastic choice! I believe most Image titles are the most user friendly of the bunch. Some other notable pieces of work by them:

Velvet
Rat Queens
Lazarus
Chew
Shutter
Alex + Ada

Tooth and Claw just started and the second issue came out today, so that may be a good one to look into!

In terms of the Marvel stuff, Marvel Unlimited has a ton of great series on there. I'd say Runaways and Fantastic Four by Hickman are the most recommended around these parts.

X-Men history can be a little dicey, there's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of shitty books you'd have to go through. I'd personally suggest starting with Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which then leads into Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Snyder and Murphy on Batman sounds appetizing but less so with Miller around.

Yeah I thought some changes might be coming with the acquisition of comixology by Amazon. We will see how it shakes up. This is one of those things that makes me hesitant about going digital

barrin87

Saga was a fantastic choice! I believe most Image titles are the most user friendly of the bunch. Some other notable pieces of work by them:

Velvet
Rat Queens
Lazarus
Chew
Shutter
Alex + Ada

Tooth and Claw just started and the second issue came out today, so that may be a good one to look into!

In terms of the Marvel stuff, Marvel Unlimited has a ton of great series on there. I'd say Runaways and Fantastic Four by Hickman are the most recommended around these parts.

X-Men history can be a little dicey, there's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of shitty books you'd have to go through. I'd personally suggest starting with Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which then leads into Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Thank you for the reccomendations! I'll look into those and try starting X-Men with New X-Men.

I was going to try the newest Ms. Marvel as well since I've heard that was good.

CBTech

Grayson #5: A lot of double pages this week. I think this was probably the weakest issue so far. The story felt like it could have been told in half the pages and still have the impact it did. I did like Dick talking about
"Robin Dies at Dawn"

Gotham Academy #3: I love this series art so much. It is colorful and the backgrounds are fantastic. I'm torn at wanting them to reveal more of the mystery and wanting to just see more school life.

In the OP, the Grayson Annual is mentioned. I've never quite understood what the point of these "Annual" issues. Are they just an extra story that a run gets every year?

In the OP, the Grayson Annual is mentioned. I've never quite understood what the point of these "Annual" issues. Are they just an extra story that a run gets every year?

From what I was told its basically a one shot type of story,, I guess they usually come when theres and extra week in a month. Some crap like that (LCS guy)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You know.... If this is Holy Terror Frank Miller, then this project has the potential to be a beautiful disaster.

Please have a halfway decent editor on this fucking book. Please.

Parch

anyone gettting crossed 100 today?
I'm curious about this too. A new Crossed title, something for Alan Moore to be disgusting with. I never thought much of Badlands so perhaps a fresh take can save the franchise.

Community ain't no big deal. Overdue in fact. Too much crap on OT so this gives me reason to focus more on comic and sports community.

I didn't really elaborate yesterday since I was on my phone while I was on break last night, but I do agree that the move to Community was kind of overdue. I've read a fair share of complaints across GAF about the thread being a constant on the front page and taking up space basically. I do think we stayed on topic more than a bunch of other large OTs (the two best friends thread for example) so it didn't bother me obviously, but I can see where the decision came from.

My only concern, like most others, is that it may hurt our visibility and potential to lure in more regulars. We have a nice set of regulars as it is but fresh blood is always good. I haven't been on the IRC in a while (already usually in a chat on Skype so it's a lot for me to keep track of honestly), but it was nice to see that we have some lurkers who do keep up with us. Don't be afraid to join!

besada

Banned
We're in...Community?

Like all the best threads.

So, someone asked me what I've been reading lately.

I'm loving Lazarus, which isn't surprising. Rucka is one of my favorite writers, and I've loved Lark since we met in '91. He's not only a great artist, but an incredibly nice human being, with a lovely wife.

I recently re-read Queen and Country, including the comics and the novels.

I've been reading and re-reading the Manhattan Projects by Hickman, although I'm a few issues behind.

On the Marvel/DC tip, I've been sort of keeping up with a bunch of nu52 books, because I enjoy disappointment and I'm just now starting to read some AXIS stuff. I'm usually a month or two behind.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is it weird that I'm strangely excited for The Dark Knight 3? First off, I'm all for more Carrie Kelley, and I really like the idea of this being about a Bruce-less Batman book (only for the sake of trying something new and the fact that the main character will be a woman). Secondly, I would be willing to bet that Scott Snyder will be doing all of the heavy lifting and I feel confident that he could filter/tweak Miller's ideas into something great.

Is it weird that I'm strangely excited for The Dark Knight 3? First off, I'm all for more Carrie Kelley, and I really like the idea of this being about a Bruce-less Batman book (only for the sake of trying something new and the fact that the main character will be a woman). Secondly, I would be willing to bet that Scott Snyder will be doing all of the heavy lifting and I feel confident that he could filter/tweak Miller's ideas into something great.

Yup. It's gonna be awesome.

fauxtrot

Banned
With that said, I'm seriously bummed that allegedly DiDio is insisting DK3 be worked on by multiple artists... the first two Dark Knight books have such a unique look that I don't want to see Jim Lee or Andy Kubert anywhere near this title. Give me all the issues drawn by one artist with a distinct look that differs from the typical "house style" or give me nothing. Fuck DC if they lazily put their standard "top artists" on this project.

Am I the only one that thinks Michel Fiffe's work resembles Miller's art in The Dark Knight Returns? I would kill to see him on this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom