• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 1, 2 and 3 of my Black Friday order are here. Now to figure out how to carry them two blocks to where I park.

I recently re-read Queen and Country, including the comics and the novels.

I recently finished reading Queen and Country for the first time and loved it. How do you feel about having to read the novels to fill in the gaps in the comics?

Come to think of it, I've liked everything I have read that he has written (Queen and Country, Wonder Woman: Hiketeia, Gotham Central). Have a hold on Whiteout at the library, will read that next.

tim1138

Like all the best threads.

So, someone asked me what I've been reading lately.

I'm loving Lazarus, which isn't surprising. Rucka is one of my favorite writers, and I've loved Lark since we met in '91. He's not only a great artist, but an incredibly nice human being, with a lovely wife.

I've been reading and re-reading the Manhattan Projects by Hickman, although I'm a few issues behind.

On the Marvel/DC tip, I've been sort of keeping up with a bunch of nu52 books, because I enjoy disappointment and I'm just now starting to read some AXIS stuff. I'm usually a month or two behind.

How far are you into Manhattan Projects?

fauxtrot

Banned
Wait??? really??? People complained about that? Who?

It was a relatively common thing to see in other Community threads (as in, I've seen it multiple times before and I very rarely spent time onthis side of GAF... before now) and to be fair, I think they had a valid reason to feel we were getting special treatment.

New to the comics side of Gaf so hello! I haven't read comics that much in the past but wanting to get more into them. I just signed up for a year of Marvel Unlimited with their fantastic deal so I'm going to catch up on some of their stuff. Thinking about trying to tackle X-Men from the beginning since I quit last time only 30 issues in.

I grabbed the deluxe copy of Saga and started that last night. Only one issue into it so far and I'm hooked!

Buy this, you can thank me later.

Frank miller is one of a few ways you could get me to read a Batman comic in 2015

Might not be good, but it promises to be interesting, and Lord knows DC could do with an injection of interesting

It was a relatively common thing to see in other Community threads (as in, I've seen it multiple times before and I very rarely spent time onthis side of GAF... before now) and to be fair, I think they had a valid reason to feel we were getting special treatment.

huh I had no idea, but I don't really spend any time in the community section. Comics GAF and BBQ Gaf are the only threads I post in regularly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Read the first Deadpool Now! trade (Dead Presidents). I loved it, very fun read. First proper Deadpool series I've read, looks like I picked a good one. Also have the second and will order the rest.

That AR thing isn't working for me though. I tried it with a bunch of panels and got nothing.

Parch

and to be fair, I think they had a valid reason to feel we were getting special treatment.
Now we go from the preferential treatment of always being on the front page of OT to competing to always be the top post on Community.

Now you just have to be careful not to click on one of those weirdo threads. You might catch something nasty or see something you can't unsee.

Messi

Read the first Deadpool Now! trade (Dead Presidents). I loved it, very fun read. First proper Deadpool series I've read, looks like I picked a good one. Also have the second and will order the rest.

That AR thing isn't working for me though. I tried it with a bunch of panels and got nothing.

Dead presidents is the weakest arc of the current series thus far. If you liked that you are in for a treat. The good the bad and the Ugly is a legitimately great comic story.

Tizoc

Like all the best threads.

So, someone asked me what I've been reading lately.

I'm loving Lazarus, which isn't surprising. Rucka is one of my favorite writers, and I've loved Lark since we met in '91. He's not only a great artist, but an incredibly nice human being, with a lovely wife.

I've been reading and re-reading the Manhattan Projects by Hickman, although I'm a few issues behind.

On the Marvel/DC tip, I've been sort of keeping up with a bunch of nu52 books, because I enjoy disappointment and I'm just now starting to read some AXIS stuff. I'm usually a month or two behind.

Have you ever gotten around to reading Rucka's Marvel and DC works? What're your fav. runs of his? I personally need to read his Batman stories @_@

Re read Batman Year One tpb at work over the last couple days. Such a great batman story, so well written. I could and probably will read that a couple times a year.

Furyous

This spider crossover event is such a fustercluck.

Off the top of my head, there are three teams scattered across four books with intersecting storylines. I'm lost already especially after Amazing Spider-Man 10. How is Superior Spider-Man alive? If Peter regained his body does this mean this event happened in the past before this crossover? I need more Kaine, Spider-Gwen, and Miles. Assassin Spider-Man is the best spider on the team next to Kaine because Assassin Spider said fuck this hero shit and became a mercenary. Marvel did the ultimate ass pull and grabbed Spiders from The What If comics.

I'm lost so can someone do me a solid and summarize this event thus far?

What's the best way to convince Marvel to stop this one crossover a year bullshit?

This spider crossover event is such a fustercluck.

Off the top of my head, there are three teams scattered across four books with intersecting storylines. I'm lost already especially after Amazing Spider-Man 10. How is Superior Spider-Man alive? If Peter regained his body does this mean this event happened in the past before this crossover? I need more Kaine, Spider-Gwen, and Miles. Assassin Spider-Man is the best spider on the team next to Kaine because Assassin Spider said fuck this hero shit and became a mercenary. Marvel did the ultimate ass pull and grabbed Spiders from The What If comics.

I'm lost so can someone do me a solid and summarize this event thus far?

What's the best way to convince Marvel to stop this one crossover a year bullshit?

This Otto is from Superior #19, on a detour from when he got lost in 2099. It was explained in Superior #32 and 33, which were part of Edge of Spider-Verse.

Parch

As long as they keep selling, they'll keep existing. Good luck with trying to stop comic fans from buying crap.

Not surprised Spiderverse is a cluster. It sounded like a potential convoluted mess from first description.

fauxtrot

Banned

We all have to stop buying more copies of these events/crossovers than the standard titles they're related to before they'll ever consider slowing down the rate they launch them.

Messi

As long as they keep selling, they'll keep existing. Good luck with trying to stop comic fans from buying crap.

Not surprised Spiderverse is a cluster. It sounded like a potential convoluted mess from first description.

I've been really enjoying it.

fauxtrot

Banned
I personally think Spider-Verse is one of the better crossover/events we've gotten in a while and Edge of Spider-Verse #2 alone made it all worthwhile for me... but there was so much potential for this concept to be a grand-slam that I can't help but keep thinking, "Man, this is pretty good but it could have been GREAT."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is it weird that I'm strangely excited for The Dark Knight 3? First off, I'm all for more Carrie Kelley, and I really like the idea of this being about a Bruce-less Batman book (only for the sake of trying something new and the fact that the main character will be a woman). Secondly, I would be willing to bet that Scott Snyder will be doing all of the heavy lifting and I feel confident that he could filter/tweak Miller's ideas into something great.

This is exactly how I feel about it as well.

One thing though, isn't this only being considered rather than probably definitely happening? Didn't the article say that due to Frank Miller's health it might not happen?

Am I the only one that thinks Michel Fiffe's work resembles Miller's art in The Dark Knight Returns? I would kill to see him on this book.

Oh my goodness. YES. That would be absolutely perfect.
I never thought about the similarities between Fiffe and DKR Miller. The art styles have some very similar characteristics.

Good stuff. I still haven't read anything by Rucka, which I feel bad about. Gotham Central has been really high on my list of comics I need to read ever since I got into comics. I just haven't gotten to it yet...

Also, I just read the first Manhattan Projects hardcover recently. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Hickman is a genius.

fauxtrot

Banned
Sorry if this has already been posted, but it's new to me and I must say, I'm excited!

ComicsAlliance has more preview pages available, for those who haven't seen the older ones.

usg-prev-1.jpg

usg-prev-2.jpg

Parch

Just looking at the recent sales and Spiderverse has been pretty mediocre but not too bad. They seem to be attracting more than just Spider fans. Death of Wolverine doing better is another level of WTF.

Just FYI, Walking Dead was the top seller for October. Image still a long way from market dominance, but they're starting to make a bigger dent.

Just looking at the recent sales and Spiderverse has been pretty mediocre but not too bad. They seem to be attracting more than just Spider fans. Death of Wolverine doing better is another level of WTF.

Just FYI, Walking Dead was the top seller for October. Image still a long way from market dominance, but they're starting to make a bigger dent.

Walking Dead isn't the top seller because it's an Image book, it's all down to the TV show. Image have done well though, they seem to have invested the cash they're making into getting top-tier talent.

Also, most of those sales were through Loot Crate. The same goes for Amazing Spider-Man #1, Rocket Raccoon #1 and two of the three new Doctor Who books (although I believe the Who books' Loot Crate/Nerd Block sales were not counted, whereas the other two were).

fauxtrot

Banned
What we'll likely get (if anything) is a crazy Frank Miller idea/outline filtered through the comparatively well-adjusted mind of Scott Snyder... which yes, I can get behind.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

fauxtrot

Banned
This is gonna be great. I'm 90% sure I'm in for the OHC (10% chance is if it somehow starts being horrible or tries too hard or something).

Also, I really want a Ms. Marvel OHC already... #10 is coming out this month, so it should be solicited soon, I would hope.

I really hope Ryan North eventually ends up writing The Amazing Spider-Man... if that ever happens, it'll be more fun than it has been in years.

frye

Man thinking about Dark Knight 3

No Klaus Janson
No Lynn Varley
Miller co-writing+not drawing
Multiple artists maybe

.... I'm a fucking mark for this shit and it's like okay cool! Miller's kind of involved and I'd be curious no matter what but then there's literally Everything Else

Yikes!

First Wednesday without a new Marvel book purchase in like 25 years for me. Lot of stuff got wait listed but no ESSENTIAL
MUST
READ
TODAYs

Two DCs, for scorekeepers at home.
One Image
Three Valiant
One Dark Horse

I've cut back a lot lately, plus there's Christmas presents to be bought.

This week was just Secret Six, Eternal Warrior and Valiant-Sized Quantum & Woody. Maybe Angela if the buzz is good, even though I don't really dig the character. I just wasn't reading the masses of books I was getting.

I'm probably getting myself the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers omni out of the money I'll get for Christmas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom