• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Honestly I suspect we only see about a third of the story now with digital sales.
It might well sell five times the print run digitally. Likewise, I suspect Image is selling much better in trade or digitally.
Yeah, for sure. Comic sales are completely clouded without knowing the digital effect. It's a guessing game.
The popularity of trades have taken off but it sure seems like singles still rule the market. Top singles are selling 100K+ monthly while there's only a handful of trades who sell 6K+. But once again it's hard to judge the long term success of trades because they can linger on the charts every month. Walking Dead trades are always going to sell.

I still find it interesting to look at the sales charts though. The big 2 are always so dominant, but it's hard to believe the other companies are so far behind based solely on the chart's monthly floppy and trade sales.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Real talk though, all my fellow Strangers in Paradise Book Club members, any way we could wait until next weekend to start it? I really, really want to read it at the same time as everyone else but it'll stress me out if I have to force myself to finish my re-read of Preacher. Especially since I'm enjoying Preacher so much.

Vyer

oh i want it to be light and thin, but it can't vibrate when the speakers are being used, that's fairly unacceptable for me.

Doesn't bother me, but I also use a cover. I found it much more noticeable when the air form factor was first introduced I guess. For my usage though I don't really have an issue with it. I guess overall weight is most important, so if they manage to get the weight down I'd be fine with even a little thicker tablet.

Real talk though, all my fellow Strangers in Paradise Book Club members, any way we could wait until next weekend to start it? I really, really want to read it at the same time as everyone else but it'll stress me out if I have to force myself to finish my re-read of Preacher. Especially since I'm enjoying Preacher so much.

I don't mind. I've got plenty of other things to read. I don't really think I wanna start that monster so soon anyway.

okwQf4G.gif

I'm down for whatever. I recently was reminded i also own SiP digitally! Woot Woot

Parch

You're God damn right.
SHAFT
How many comic buyers even know who Shaft is? It's like the Bionic Man comics. How many baby boomers (besides me) are buying comics? These retro decisions seem like an odd choice to try and sell books.

Messi

How many comic buyers even know who Shaft is? It's like the Bionic Man comics. How many baby boomers (besides me) are buying comics? These retro decisions seem like an odd choice to try and sell books.

I like to think Shaft is still a big enough name to draw some people in.

Everyone knows what Shaft is. It's that movie with Morgan Freeman.

Secret Six was ok. The art which I thought would be its strongest point, was kind of a mess. Gail's story was fun but the panels didn't flow and were hard to follow. The colors and blacks seemed pretty inconsistent.

Lashley blew me away with his Doomed book but this is a rush job. Hopefully he can become more consistent and the book becomes better.

fauxtrot

Banned
I don't know if it's by the same publisher, but if Black Dynamite is successful enough as a comic to continue putting it out, I'd imagine people into that (as well as the movie that created the character) would also be willing to give Shaft a shot.

After reading the Zero Year Dark City volume, I feel all three major arcs have followed a pattern for me. Great set up and world building, some nice character moments, good art but the resolution in all three cases felt very unrewarding and didn't live up the the rest of the arc.

Secret Six was ok. The art which I thought would be its strongest point, was kind of a mess. Gail's story was fun but the panels didn't flow and were hard to follow. The colors and blacks seemed pretty inconsistent.

Gotham Academy and Grayson were my picks of the week so far. Gotham Academy so far has featured superior girly hijinx compared to Batgirl. Grayson was good, but a bit vague. I imagine we'll get more information next issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't mind. I've got plenty of other things to read. I don't really think I wanna start that monster so soon anyway.

I'm down for whatever. I recently was reminded i also own SiP digitally! Woot Woot

Cool, thanks for bearing with me, guys!

My SiP still hasn't shipped. Amazon now saying next week. It's Bullshit.

Ah yes! And we definitely have to wait for Messi. The SiP book club would not be complete without Messi.

Owzers

After reading the Zero Year Dark City volume, I feel all three major arcs have followed a pattern for me. Great set up and world building, some nice character moments, good art but the resolution in all three cases felt very unrewarding and didn't live up the the rest of the arc.

I'm in that tiny comics-gaf minority that thinks Snyder's Batman is incredibly dull. I liked some things like the beginning of the court of owls arc, especially around issue 5 or so with the underground maze, and then the riddler stuff in zero year was somewhat fun, but the overall arcs themselves as stories were disappointments that i don't think i'll ever reread.

synders run in a nutshell. start with a bang end with a whimper.

Zombine

Banned
Lol Alan Moore, the way we speak would not change THAT much in 100 years. Give or take a bit of slang, language was pretty similar 100 years ago during WWI. 100 years from now we're not going to say "Fuck what?" Instead of "What the fuck?"

Marvel has a promotion right now to get a month of Unlimited for $0.75. What you do is buy it as a gift and indicate that the gift will be sent to an email address that is not the one you use for your Unlimited account. There's a button that you check off that says "email it to me" or something along those lines, you make the payment for a monthly sub (use code MARVEL75 to see the discount), and make the purchase. An email will be sent to you with a redemption code. Rinse, repeat.

In order to redeem the codes, your sub would have to lapse before applying another 1-month code. Also, the $0.75 promo only lasts until midnight PT.
got some 75 cent promos

accidentally signed up once for a 99 annual one. Yay. Looks like Ill have to get in contact with customer support tomorrow...>_>

Loam

A bit of an out of the blue question, but is it that only a select few comics or stories with a big name behind them like Marvel/DC actually end up as TPBs? I keep coming across some great smaller stuff that I would love to eventually put on a shelf, but the only things that ever seem to be collected is the standard Spiderman/Batman/Whatever.

I'm not exactly an avid comic reader so I was wondering if this is just the way things are? Or perhaps TPBs for lesser stuff only gets a small print run which would explain why I never see anything in stores?

A bit of an out of the blue question, but is it that only a select few comics or stories with a big name behind them like Marvel/DC actually end up as TPBs? I keep coming across some great smaller stuff that I would love to eventually put on a shelf, but the only things that ever seem to be collected is the standard Spiderman/Batman/Whatever.

I'm not exactly an avid comic reader so I was wondering if this is just the way things are? Or perhaps TPBs for lesser stuff only gets a small print run which would explain why I never see anything in stores?

Pretty much everything gets released in TPB and/or HC format. Trades mostly consist of either complete story arcs, or sometimes complete series for books that are limited in size. If you're browsing the graphic novels at Barnes & Noble or something, then yeah, you're not getting a full view of what's available.

Owzers

I've been:

reading about the Garner new york non indictment.

catching up on Manhattan Projects, just read issues 16-22-ish. The last couple issues have been more of what i'm looking for, opening things up past Oppenheimer/the projects.

Testing out my ipad air 2 speakers each day to see how much they bug me.

trying to find a vita game worth playing to make up for still not having a ps4 as i mailed the second broken replacement back to Sony today. Titan Attacks is not it.

Also, now that we are in the Community section, can we stop wearing pants? This feels like a place where pants aren't needed or desired.

trying to find a vita game worth playing to make up for still not having a ps4 as i mailed the second broken replacement back to Sony today. Titan Attacks is not it.

Also, now that we are in the Community section, can we stop wearing pants? This feels like a place where pants aren't needed or desired.

You should buy Senran Kagura

Also, I didn't read it yet, but I flipped through Gotham Academy #3 and the art was cute 9/10

oh man, I want to read Promethea so bad. Waiting for the Immateria edition that may be resolicited and released sometime before I die. Are the TPBs readily available?
I got these pretty easily from IST. I wanted the absolute editions but a) they made 3 for a 30 issue run which is one to many IMO, but more importantly they first volume was out of print and expensive. So since I already had one soft cover I figured to finish it out.

Just read Gotham Acedemy and it was great. It just has the right amount of DC fan service.

On the other hand, Detective Comics was kind of a bore. The art is just so fantastic but I'm kinda getting over it. I can look at cool pictures of Batman anytime. I might be dropping this.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's going pretty well, thanks! Been getting more hours at work which is pretty good, and I'm starting to think I might move to Colorado at the beginning of next year which I'm super excited about.
I also really like the fact that we can now post about completely off topic stuff without feeling guilty because Community thread.

Oh, and also, it's totally all rainy and overcast today which is amazing. I literally can't remember the last time the weather was like this.

How has your December been?
We've had so much rain in California it's been great so far. And I'm currently not trying to fill my head with suicidal thoughts. My life is going in a direction that is going to be extremely difficult for me very soon. Hope it gets better.

Cheska

Wrapped up Secret Six. Personally liked it a lot, especially the art. Different edge, but worked well for me.

Btw, anyone in here live in Idaho? What do you guys think of it? We may be moving and my fiancé is interested in Boise.

fauxtrot

Banned
I picked up Just the Tips tonight with my other Wednesday goodies and what I've read of it so far is a riot. As someone who only reads Sex Criminals in trade format, it's convinced me to pick up the single issues instead. I just hope I don't leave this thing out by accident the next time my parents stop by...

On to my floppies!

I picked up Just the Tips tonight with my other Wednesday goodies and what I've read of it so far is a riot. As someone who only reads Sex Criminals in trade format, it's convinced me to pick up the single issues instead. I just hope I don't leave this thing out by accident the next time my parents stop by...

On to my floppies!
Pshhh, I might give all my friends and family a copy for Christmas. ;p

These Darwyn Cooke variants are the greatest.

Also, Darwyn Cooke is a better artist than Quitely.

Discuss.

Btw, anyone in here live in Idaho? What do you guys think of it? We may be moving and my fiancé is interested in Boise.

Don't live there but it's very similar to Oregon. Much more rural than you're probably (currently) used too (aside from the few larger cities like Boise).

Cade

Utterly different styles. Can't compare easily. Allred vs Cooke is more interesting.

#TeamCooke

#TeamAllAllredGirlsLookIdentical

#TeamIStillLikeHimTho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom