• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but there are a few big Allred fans in here you could rile up :D

*deep breaths*

Allred is better in my opinion but i can't hate on Cooke. #TeamAllred

Quitely is better than Cooke though. Now, Quitely vs. Allred.... i can't even go there
objectively probably still quitely tho

Cade

*deep breaths*

Allred is better in my opinion but i can't hate on Cooke. #TeamAllred

Quitely is better than Cooke though. Now, Quitely vs. Allred.... i can't even go there
objectively probably still quitely tho

Don't worry, bro. Kipp will be up in a couple hours and he'll back you up on Allred.

fauxtrot

Banned
Cooke and Allred have similar styles but each one has his own strengths over the other, in my opinion. You can argue (and I'd agree) that both of their line work is more aesthetically pleasing than Quitely's, but his layouts and creativity are in another league entirely. With that said, all three are likely in my top 5 (and definitely in my top 10).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have to say, in my mostly uninformed opinion, I like Allred but I prefer Cooke. I find that Allred's faces all tend to look very similar, and quite masculine. Cooke's work is right up my alley though, his New Frontier and Batgirl Year One work is incredible. Plus you've got stuff like these:
SUPERMAN_WONDER_WOMAN_14.jpg
AQUAMAN_37.jpg

Wonder_Woman_37.jpg
BATMAN_SUPERMAN_17.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
We've had so much rain in California it's been great so far. And I'm currently not trying to fill my head with suicidal thoughts. My life is going in a direction that is going to be extremely difficult for me very soon. Hope it gets better.

Yeah, the rain has been awesome.
And hang in there, buddy. I hope things get better for you too.

Btw, anyone in here live in Idaho? What do you guys think of it? We may be moving and my fiancé is interested in Boise.

High five! Now we're both in CurrentlyLivingInCaliforniaButStronglyConsideringMovingToTheRockiesGAF (well, I guess the mountains in Idaho are only kind of the Rocky Mountains, but whatever). I know nothing about Idaho though, so I can't help you there. :p

Don't worry, bro. Kipp will be up in a couple hours and he'll back you up on Allred.

I'll happily back him on Allred in the Allred vs. Cooke debate, but I'm afraid I gotta go with Quitely in the Allred vs. Quitely debate.

Zombine

Banned
I don't think Cooke and Allred art look similar at all, but both of them are two of the best in the business.

And wow, Idaho? Potato worship is strong there. Quitely might as well be the state's official artist. Everyone should just move to NY and call it a day.

Cade

I don't think Cooke and Allred art look similar at all, but both of them are wo of the best in the business.

And wow, Idaho? Potato worship is strong there. Quitely might as well be the state's official artist.

I picked 'em cause they both exude that classic comics look of bright and colorful and not super realistic.

Read Humans #2 and Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1952 #1 last night.
Both were awesome.

Humas #2 is being added to my pull list. Super cool book about a ape MC club. It's got a badass raunchy punk vibe to it.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1952 #1 was a good first issue. Its a teen/young adult hellboy going on his first mission(s) and basically going to show him up grow up to what he has become.
Also getting added to my pull list.

-

I was born in Blackfoot Idaho,, but I don't remember shit about it.. so sorry I'm no help.

Caught up on Godhead. This event continues to tickle me pink with delight.

Also, Grayson was great. It's still better than anything you read.

Cade

Also, Grayson was great. It's still better than anything you read.

Grayson is singlehandedly erasing every doubt I had going in and renewing all the hopes I had. Shit is goooold.

Another month, another utterly pointless issue of GOTG (#15). I've read more interesting comics in my free Lego newsletter.

Edit: Why is Captain Marvel on the cover?

WHERE AM I!??!? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN????

This wouldn't have happened if you had posted your GOTG rant.

Zombine

Banned
Just read Low #5, and this continues to be Rememder's best work. I have grown to love the art and the nature of the story, and it's giving me these crazy Mad Max/Flash Gordon/Dune vibes, and its a combination I never knew that I wanted. I suggest everyone take a look at the story so far.

Btw, anyone in here live in Idaho? What do you guys think of it? We may be moving and my fiancé is interested in Boise.
I've passed through the panhandle of Idaho during a summer tril and stopped by in coeur de alene. It was gorgeous there. I was surprised actually. I thought all of Idaho was boring and potatoey

I'm so behind on this. I need to get caught up today. I have to read, Infinity Man and the Forever People 5 (though not sure where in the godhead arc this falls since no number on it), Red Lanterns 36, and Sinestro 7.

I just read this weeks Batman Eternal,
they are royally fucking Bruce up. My memory is drawing a blank but have they ever stripped him of all his money, and holdings before? Considering where things are for Arkham Manor, and Endgame, Bruce obviously doesn't get it all back at the end of Eternal. I wonder if the second year of Eternal is going to be about reestablishing all that.

Cheska

Who is the lady behind Jean Grey in that poster, and who is the He-Man figure looking dude in the bottom right?
That looks like Polaris. Also, do you mean upper left? The guy in blue is Warpath. The dudes at the bottom are Nightcraweler, Colossus and Wolvie.

Above Firelord on the bottom right is Iceman.

Boogiepop

That looks like Polaris. Also, do you mean upper left? The guy in blue is Warpath. The dudes at the bottom are Nightcraweler, Colossus and Wolvie.

Above Firelord on the bottom right is Iceman.

Thunderbird, not Warpath. Or I'm at least pretty sure there.

Something cool about Secret Six.

GS: I have wanted to work with Ken for years. He was on the verge of a huge title at another company, he and Dale Eaglesham both (they are alternating arcs and covers, which is amazing), and they both dropped everything to do THIS book.

You've seen the pages, right? It's Ken turned up to 100.

While I don't agree with Ken turned up to 100 as his Doomed pages were a lot better, I'm happy that they will have another artist to share arcs. Kens art probably takes time. Wonder who the artist is on Sinestro now.

besada

Banned
Have you ever gotten around to reading Rucka's Marvel and DC works? What're your fav. runs of his? I personally need to read his Batman stories @_@

I've read a LOT of Rucka. Favorites include:

Checkmate
His Batman is always good
Gotham Central
Elektra
Punisher

I think his best works are Queen and Country and Gotham Central, though.

I'm also a big Brubaker fan. I even own originals of his Lowlife series, back when he was writing indie comics.

For Brubaker, the highlights are:

Lowlife
Scene of the Crime
Deadenders
Capt America
Criminal
Incognito
Sleeper
and The Fall (with Jason Lutes, who I adore)

Zombine

Banned
For Brubaker, the highlights are:

Lowlife
Scene of the Crime
Deadenders
Capt America
Criminal
Incognito
Sleeper
and The Fall (with Jason Lutes, who I adore)

Have you checked out Velvet yet? It's my pick for book of the year and an awesome addition to the spy genre. It's an incredibly ruthless and expertly told story with a strong female lead.

Have you checked out Velvet yet? It's my pick for book of the year and an awesome addition to the spy genre. It's an incredibly ruthless and expertly told story with a strong female lead.

One of Images best books out imo.

-

Read LOW #5,, its was a good issue. Think I will be trade waiting the next arc though.

Escape From New York #1 was decent. Didn't do much to get me committed to buying #2 though.

besada

Banned

I've read the first TPB, but not the last few issues.

Real talk though, all my fellow Strangers in Paradise Book Club members, any way we could wait until next weekend to start it? I really, really want to read it at the same time as everyone else but it'll stress me out if I have to force myself to finish my re-read of Preacher. Especially since I'm enjoying Preacher so much.

I haven't ordered it yet but I dug out my old stuff. I've never done this before.

Zombine

Banned
One of Images best books out imo.

-

Read LOW #5,, its was a good issue. Think I will be trade waiting the next arc though.

Escape From New York #1 was decent. Didn't do much to get me committed to buying #2 though.

The wait for those hardcovers for Low and Black Science is dreadful. They're going to be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom