• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Damn, DC is releasing a lot of their amazing Deluxe Editions this month. I already preordered A Superman for all seasons from my comic dreamteam Loeb/Sale, but there are releasing Superman Unchained and Identity Crisis in this format.

I wanted to ask if these two books are worth buying and if Identity Crisis is accesible enough for someone who off all books only read Batman comics before?

Don't read Identity Crisis, save your money.

Nudull

Banned
Damn, DC is releasing a lot of their amazing Deluxe Editions this month. I already preordered A Superman for all seasons from my comic dreamteam Loeb/Sale, but there are releasing Superman Unchained and Identity Crisis in this format.

I wanted to ask if these two books are worth buying and if Identity Crisis is accesible enough for someone who off all books only read Batman comics before?

Gonna be grabbing Superman Unchained. :)

ok, the first thing you do is do not buy Identity Crisis

CBTech

Oh hey, didn't realize that Marvel was starting up a new Star Wars series. Really it is no big surprise. I might actually pick it up. I've always been a fan of Star Wars. Hopefully it will be decent.

Are any of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics any good? I saw the trade for "The Star Wars" and I'll probably pick that up for the novelty. Seeing an adaptation of the original draft could be cool.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh hey, didn't realize that Marvel was starting up a new Star Wars series. Really it is no big surprise. I might actually pick it up. I've always been a fan of Star Wars. Hopefully it will be decent.

Are any of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics any good? I saw the trade for "The Star Wars" and I'll probably pick that up for the novelty. Seeing an adaptation of the original draft could be cool.

The Star Wars is pretty good and interesting for fans. The bad part is, that it ends at the point were things get really interesting and there will be likely never a conclusion :(

fauxtrot

Banned
Wait, is he actually cast or are you just saying you think he'd be good for the role?

Nah, I was just making a bad joke about Seth Rogan / Evan Goldberg's involvement. It actually sounds like they're huge fans of the comic, so hopefully they'll have the clout to make sure any storyline changes are relatively minimal.

CBTech

The Star Wars is pretty good and interesting for fans. The bad part is, that it ends at the point were things get really interesting and there will be likely never a conclusion :(

Lame. Well, I'll pick it up anyway. It would be nice if Disney let them finish it, but that's pretty much not going to happen.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Nah, I was just making a bad joke about Seth Rogan / Evan Goldberg's involvement. It actually sounds like they're huge fans of the comic, so hopefully they'll have the clout to make sure any storyline changes are relatively minimal.

Ah gotcha. And that's cool. I hope so too.
Although, I wouldn't actually mind if they changed up the arc plots. As long as they keep the characters like they are in the comics and keep the premise the same, I'd actually prefer it if they did slightly different stuff. If they tried to follow the comic exactly, it'd be too easy to compare and the TV show would never win out over the comic.
It's the same reason I still haven't made it through episode 4 of Constantine. It copies the plot from issues 1 and 2 of Hellblazer and it just can't compare at all. I loved the first 3 episodes though, since they either did their own plot or I at least haven't read those issues yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lame. Well, I'll pick it up anyway. It would be nice if Disney let them finish it, but that's pretty much not going to happen.
They even announced a Darkhorsebook for reprinting, so its possbile that they return and finish the book. The original drafts of George Lucas are still avaiable and they could hire the guys who made the Volume 1.

Parch

Star Wars #1 is already at 1 million copies sold
Hmm. I assume that's based on pre-sales over the increased distribution methods? Including digital? Seems a bit far fetched to me, but it is encouraging to see some sales optimism. It can only mean good things for other comics as well.
According to a report by Comichron, fewer than fifty comics have sold more than 200,000 copies since the turn of the Century, fewer than twenty have sold over 300,000 and only those Amazing Spider-Man issues have sold better than 500,000. Star Wars #1 will be at least 400,000 copies above the next-best seller in the modern age.
Sales have definitely struggled compared to earlier glory years, but there's definitely improvement in recent history. Does credit go to digital distribution? TV and movie exposure? Whatever the reasons, it's good to see.

tim1138

Poor GAMEPROFF, brah comes in all excited to buy some comics only to have us tell him not to buy them. Although we did save him some money, so maybe we should be applauded?

Poor GAMEPROFF, brah comes in all excited to buy some comics only to have us tell him not to buy them. Although we did save him some money, so maybe we should be applauded?

Better to kill that enthusiasm now than have the actual comic do the killing, and be out of a not-insignificant amount of time and money on top of it.

Read Identity Crisis, spend your money

Parch

Are any of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics any good?
I'm concerned with Marvel taking over Star Wars because I think Dark Horse has done really well with the franchise lately. Some of the older long runs feel a bit dated now, but DH going with mostly mini-series instead of ongoings suited me just fine. They've really improved the artwork lately, and able to cherry pick mini-series with preferred characters and stories has made SW DH really good IMO.

I'm basically hoping that Marvel doesn't screw it up because they're following some pretty good work from Dark Horse.

ElNarez

Banned
Grayson #5 is a god damn masterpiece.

I just love how confident it is, like, it starts in media res without any explanation as to how the characters ended up in this situation, and then turns out to be a character study about three people and a baby walking through a desert, calling back to a Silver Age story.

Not only did I not expect the ballsiness of it all, I didn't expect it from Tom King, who I had never heard of 6 months ago.

calder

Reading about some cool DC books is making me jealous. But Marvel Unlimited has just changed how I look at comics now, it's so convenient and economical that I've totally changed how I consume comics in that basically I stopped reading almost all non-MU stuff. Anyway, I'd love to give DC $10 a month too and hope they let me some day.

Is there a Multiversity: Pax Americana spoiler thread? Or a thread full of people who can explain that shit to me? I read that book like 4 times, and kinda liked it, but I still have that nagging feeling I'm Missing Something. Which is what I just fucking hate about Morrison in general, I've never been so angry at a comic book as I was when I read that godfuckingawful Leviathan arc on Batman. Shit made no sense to me, sorry I didn't follow obscure comics from 50 years ago that were never sold on this continent.

Cheska

Glad you guys brought up Batman:Noel. I forgot about that book and its something I've been meaning to read for a while.

It was nice having a smaller pick up this week, got all my books read way before I usually do, and I can actually spend a significant amount of time making a dent in my backlog.

frye

Is there a Multiversity: Pax Americana spoiler thread? Or a thread full of people who can explain that shit to me? I read that book like 4 times, and kinda liked it, but I still have that nagging feeling I'm Missing Something. Which is what I just fucking hate about Morrison in general, I've never been so angry at a comic book as I was when I read that godfuckingawful Leviathan arc on Batman. Shit made no sense to me, sorry I didn't follow obscure comics from 50 years ago that were never sold on this continent.

Just ask here.

calder

Just ask here.

Ok.. where to begin... sorry in advance I'm going off memory here at work but:

My (potentially super wrong) take on the story is basically that
President Harley is killed by Peacemaker at his (the presidents) request, something about a sacrifice being needed and he deserved it. Naturally he's talking about the fact his accidentally killed his own super-hero dad as a child. But Harley see's.... something coming in the future so bad he knows he can't stop it except to change the world in a profound way, which is scary because he's a super popular president who can see the way the future unfolds and that's somehow not enough. Dr Atom is so godlike he's skipping through time and Harley is able to convince him to help, mainly by travelling back and telling hippie-him how to read the future while staring at his fathers grave (also, letting himself be 'killed' but obviously he knows it won't work).

Anyway, my main question is who kills Nora? The thug working for the vice president? Did I miss something about him, is he supposed to be anonymous beyond the fact that he has a bionic arm (and in the present, two bionic arms)? I'm pretty sure the main convo between Peacekeeper and Nora is about her not quite ready to accept what Harley says about the future as being true, while PK is already convinced. She does the math herself and comes around, but why did she get killed? And what does it have to do with Peacekeeper going through with his public assassination of Harley?

I assume I'm missing a bunch, but am I way off on the Nora stuff? It seems like it should be important because it's the main thrust of The Question's investigation, but by the end it seems like The Question is missing the forest for the trees anyway. I guess it's important in that it's how the reader figures out what's happening, but something about it seems odd to me.

I will say, despite thinking "this was kinda meh" at the end, Pax Americana really dug into my head as you can tell by how I'm still thinking about it a few weeks later. Fucking Morrison, man.

Parch

Reading about some cool DC books is making me jealous. But Marvel Unlimited has just changed how I look at comics now, it's so convenient and economical that I've totally changed how I consume comics in that basically I stopped reading almost all non-MU stuff.
Yeah, for sure. Especially for new readers who are not too concerned about needing that day-1 release. Marvel Unlimited is a gold mine of affordable comic goodness.

I am really surprised other companies haven't pursued similar services because Marvel is catching all the new fish with a quality product.

fauxtrot

Banned
To this day, Moebius' work still blows me away...

tumblr_n6nqmnYZ9m1qze5veo1_500.jpg

calder

Yeah, for sure. Especially for new readers who are not too concerned about needing that day-1 release. .

That's exactly me. I usually just waited for TPB's for books I liked because I have no interest in getting a couple of dozen pages once a month. So for me waiting 6 months is not a problem at all, especially not compared to the convenience of waiting for a bit and then being able to read an entire crossover complete with a bunch of secondary issues I'd have never bothered with.

Like right now, I'm patiently waiting for a few more issues of Original Sin to get on MU and then I'll start reading. It's perfect for me. And in the meantime I'm still finding huge runs on books I either never read or haven't seen in years. The Black Panther movie got me re-reading the Priest run (which hold up reasonably well) 15ish years later for example.

Messi

Strangers in Paradise shipped today.

Also so did:

Revival Vol 1 & 2 Hardcovers
Saga Hardcover
Walking Dead Book 3 Hardcover

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Here's a really helpful page of annotations. This was linked to when we were all fucked up on that Pax-high, and it's useful in showing you that as much as there's totally a great and solid "story" within the issue, but there's just as much meta-commentary and symbolism that's vital to understanding and appreciating everything that's happening on the page and off.

It's definitely frustrating when you don't get something, but it's worth the time investment to read up and question and research all that you can to understand all the things in play here, and with any Morrison work, especially when Quitely's name is also attached.

frye

Ok.. where to begin... sorry in advance I'm going off memory here at work but:
Anyway, my main question is who kills Nora? The thug working for the vice president? Did I miss something about him, is he supposed to be anonymous beyond the fact that he has a bionic arm (and in the present, two bionic arms)? I'm pretty sure the main convo between Peacekeeper and Nora is about her not quite ready to accept what Harley says about the future as being true, while PK is already convinced. She does the math herself and comes around, but why did she get killed? And what does it have to do with Peacekeeper going through with his public assassination of Harley?
[/SPOILER]

I assume I'm missing a bunch, but am I way off on the Nora stuff? It seems like it should be important because it's the main thrust of The Question's investigation, but by the end it seems like The Question is missing the forest for the trees anyway. I guess it's important in that it's how the reader figures out what's happening, but something about it seems odd to me.

I think some of this you can explain with the uber-plot of the Gentry invading (i.e. Vice President is working for the Gentry to Destroy Superheroes in this universe). Nora probably gets killed because she realizes Harley's plan won't work but doesn't get the chance to tell Peacemaker before she bites it. Honestly, Question seems pretty close to getting everything, he ends up realizing that the Vice Prez/Sarge Steel have something to do with it.

I have a bad habit of when finishing a chapter in a collected edition of flipping ahead as my mind simultaneously processes what I just read. Well dammit, I did it with Y The Last Man in the 2nd book and I finally saw what my dirty mind has been wondering,
when was some women going to have their way with little Yorick. I could be wrong and it could be consensual, but yeah......

Please don't spoil anything else though, I'm loving the story.

I like Tim Seeleys 140 character limit Twitter theory.

@HackinTimSeeley: @cracksh0t I think it is. it takes the idea that The Charlton characters became Watchmen became Chartlon characters as the infinite loop.

fauxtrot

Banned
*shrug* it's been over two weeks at this point.

I can think of a few people that have stated that they're waiting to read Multiversity as a trade rather than in single issues, and when it takes a total of three seconds of extra work to not spoil the book for those people, I don't think it's too much to ask.

I can think of a few people that have stated that they're waiting to read Multiversity as a trade rather than in single issues, and when it takes a total of three seconds of extra work to not spoil the book for those people, I don't think it's too much to ask.

Its DC Comics, the trade doesn't come until 2016, they'll probably forget the minute details by then

tim1138

Just finished the second Lil Gotham tpb on my bus ride home from work. That was the best non Grant Morrison Batman comic DC has published in years.

frye

iunno, we've had this discussion in the past and 1-week was more or less what people agreed on (Spike wondering if it should be longer has been in the OP for a long time now and no one seems to mind?). Of course you want to be conscientious to a degree but if waiting for (especially DC) trades is grounds to keep things in spoiler tags forever I think that's a bit silly.

Owzers

I think the agreement was that people were going to spoil stuff because they don't care and i was going to dislike them. Multiversity should probably have it's own thread in the OT, all spoilers.

also since i get shipments from dcbs monthly....a month sounds good.

fauxtrot

Banned
At the very least, I'd hope we could try not to spoil an issue for people when it's less than a month old... it's not uncommon for some of us to have a backlog on our floppies and I know I don't get to some of them for a month or more.

Obviously I'm not the boss, so whatever gets decided is what I'll abide by, but when it's something as simple as highlighting your text and clicking a button, I don't see what the resistance is toward being on the safe side for the sake of others.

The best ones are Crimson Empire, Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic. I also enjoyed Dark Times and Knight Errant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom