• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the first Saga trade today, didn't really enjoy it. I don't like either of the main characters or the way everyone talks. It seems to be heading in a soap opera'ish direction and that's not for me. That art is pretty nice though. Maybe I'll give it another shot once the series is complete.

Stick with it! Spider-sex incoming!

Zombine

Banned
4088527-4+glcorps_37_cooke_var.jpg

Man this is cool.

Owzers

Read the first Saga trade today, didn't really enjoy it. I don't like either of the main characters or the way everyone talks. It seems to be heading in a soap opera'ish direction and that's not for me. That art is pretty nice though. Maybe I'll give it another shot once the series is complete.

Considering *slight spoiler but not really*
a character joins a traveling acting tour that does soap opera stuff
, i'd say it's not going to win you over anytime soon.

Side-note: I was trying to get rid of stuff and i was looking through my one shoebox of action figures i've kept and half of them feel tacky/sticky , typically their legs. What are you people doing with my action figures?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys. GUYS. Why did nobody tell me that Tim Sale has an art book!? I even asked if there were any good art books I should know about and nobody mentioned it! Outrageous.
I was watching Parks and Recreation and it was the treat-yo-self episode where Ben buys the Batman costume, and he tries it on in a comic book shop, and there were some books in the background and I paused it since I was mildly curious which books they were (half of them were Elephantmen books, oddly enough), and that Tim Sale book was among them. Adam Hughes' Cover Run was there too, but you guys did already inform me of that one. I wish I enjoyed Adam Hughes' art more, since that book looks like a really nice collection.
But yeah, I really gotta get that Tim Sale art book. It looks fantastic.

Guys. GUYS. Why did nobody tell me that Tim Sale has an art book!? I even asked if there were any good art books I should know about and nobody mentioned it! Outrageous.
I was watching Parks and Recreation and it was the treat-yo-self episode where Ben buys the Batman costume, and he tries it on in a comic book shop, and there were some books in the background and I paused it since I was mildly curious which books they were (half of them were Elephantmen books, oddly enough), and that Tim Sale book was among them. Adam Hughes' Cover Run was there too, but you guys did already inform me of that one. I wish I enjoyed Adam Hughes' art more, since that book looks like a really nice collection.
But yeah, I really gotta get that Tim Sale art book. It looks fantastic.

Sorry..i didn't see that post. I own it :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Abandon ship. That's definitely the definition of the series. It's not going to swing in a different direction on any of those fronts. If anything it leans heavier on them.

Cheska

Just finished Planet Hulk, that was amazing. My only problem was the last issue. It felt very rushed and I thought it changed what was an epic arc into a prologue to something else. They should have wrapped it up cleanly and taken one or two more issues to set up the next "event".

I just finished the book right now!! Omg, tears ;_; LOVED IT, from beginning to end.

So I've been doing some pieces for family members for Xmas. The new Thor is really fun to draw. This one is for my step mother in law. I gotta finish up one for my father in law. Its Star Wars/Doctor Who/Beatles piece.

In actual comics related discussion, I got my copies of the OHCs for Thor by Aaron vol 1 and Hawkguy vol 1. These books are gorgeous. I read the Thor one and that book is on another level. This probably the best Marvel work Aaron has done.

Bii

So I've been doing some pieces for family members for Xmas. The new Thor is really fun to draw. This one is for my step mother in law. I gotta finish up one for my father in law. Its Star Wars/Doctor Who/Beatles piece.

That's some nice work there! Be sure to post the one for your father-in-law once you finish it.

I forgive you. Just barely though. :p

Is it as good as it looks like it is? Also, is it normal OHC size?

Haha. I was just about to post that gif.
Edit: You can see the Tim Sale book right to the right of Aziz's neck for like 2 frames.
I haven't flipped through it in a while. I can take some picks for you tomorrow if you want

gonna unload some random floppies and trades. Let me know if any of yous are interested. I'm looking in the $10-20 range for a lot of the stuff, and that's with shipping so if ya order multiple things, i can discount (in fact, that'd probably be better for everyone the more you order). I don't know how much shipping is outside the US, though, so that could be an issue? Message me!

Justice League United #0-4
Justice League (Johns/Lee, et al) #1-9
Detective Comics #30-34 (Manapul/Booch)
Secret Avengers #21.1 - 28 (Remender, Zircher, Hardman, Guedes)
I, Vampire (N52) #2-10 (incl. Justice League Dark 7-8 crossover issues) [I have a New 52: The Dark one-shot that has the first issues of I, Vamp, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and JLD if ya wanna add make one order of all the Dark stuff]
Animal Man (N52) #2-12, Annual #1, #0
X-O Manowar (2012 relaunch) #1-10
Saga #1-7
Talon #0-5
New Avengers (Heroic Age) Vol 1 (TP, Bendis/Immonen) & Vol 2 (HC) (Bendis/Deodato)
House of M (TP)
X-Men: Messiah Complex (TP)
Swamp Thing: Vol 1 Raise Them Bones (TP, Snyder/Paquette)
Villains United (Simone/Eaglesham)
Harbinger vol. 1 (TP, 2012 Valiant)
Antman & Wasp (TP, Seeley)
New York Four (TP, Wood/Kelly)
Young Justice vol. 2 Training Day (TP, based on the show)
Flashpoint: Batman (TP, includes the Azz/Risso mini)
Batman: Battle of the Cowl (TP, by GAF favorite Tony Daniel)

In actual comics related discussion, I got my copies of the OHCs for Thor by Aaron vol 1 and Hawkguy vol 1. These books are gorgeous. I read the Thor one and that book is on another level. This probably the best Marvel work Aaron has done.

this is DOPE ima have to commission somethin from you after the holidays

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That Thor piece is bad ass. Good work, my name is ed. I often think about getting some decent comic book art for my walls. Will have to see what I can find. Maybe I'll paint myself up some Pizza Dog prints. Anyway, list time.

Books of the week:
Astro City #18
Batgirl #37
The Punisher #13
Thor #3

Also picking up:
Amazing Spider-Man #11
Avengers & X-Men: Axis #7
Rocket Raccoon #6
Shutter #7

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I haven't flipped through it in a while. I can take some picks for you tomorrow if you want

Nah, it's all right. The video of it on Youtube gave me a good enough look at it for me to determine that I definitely want it. Thanks though!

Bru should write the next 24 comic tie-in, all the damn its he'll ever want. Velvet actually uses "shit" more though, just so you know.
I absolutely love Velvet and consider it one of the best new books this year. But while it uses more shit and Christ it isn't actually damn it free.
(Spoiler Alert)
These two are both from the same issue.

So now that I have Marvel Unlimited for the next year I figured I'd write down and organize everything on my to-do list. Any major runs/events that are worth reading that I missed? Are any of these not worth reading? Aside from Way Deadpool, which I have a soft spot for. I know that one especially gets a lock of flack.

• Avengers Disassembled
  • Avengers Marvel Now
  • Cable and Deadpool (Only need to read last ~20 issues)
  • Cable and X-Force
  • Captain America + Reborn
  • Daredevil (Mark Waid)
  • Deadpool (Joe Kelly)
  • Deadpool (Daniel Way, ~issue 30+)
  • Fantastic Four (Mark Waid)
  • House of M
  • Immortal Iron Fist
  • Indestructible Hulk
  • Inhumans
  • New Avengers (Bendis)
  • New Avengers (Hickman)
  • Nova (Loeb)
  • Punisher (Ennis)
  • Secret War
  • Superior Spider-Man
  • Wolverine (Millar)
  • War of Kings
  • Thanos Imperative
  • Annihilators
  • Civil War

Already read a lot of non-MW Daredevil so I haven't missed out on that. Trying to read some older runs that were either commercially (Civil War) or critically (Fantastic Four) acclaimed. I haven't really read anything Spider-Man or Avengers related aside from Ultimate Spider Man and the Ultimates 1 and 2. Is Ultimate comics: Spider-Man good?

So now that I have Marvel Unlimited for the next year I figured I'd write down and organize everything on my to-do list. Any major runs/events that are worth reading that I missed? Are any of these not worth reading? Aside from Way Deadpool, which I have a soft spot for. I know that one especially gets a lock of flack.

[/LIST]

Already read a lot of non-MW Daredevil so I haven't missed out on that. Trying to read some older runs that were either commercially (Civil War) or critically (Fantastic Four) acclaimed. I haven't really read anything Spider-Man or Avengers related aside from Ultimate Spider Man and the Ultimates 1 and 2. Is Ultimate comics: Spider-Man good?

You have War of Kings and Thanos Imperative on your list, Realm of Kings goes between those. It is listed separately in Marvel Unlimited.

If you haven't read it yet, I would definitely recommend Planet Hulk too.

You have War of Kings and Thanos Imperative on your list, Realm of Kings goes between those. It is listed separately in Marvel Unlimited.

If you haven't read it yet, I would definitely recommend Planet Hulk too.

For some reason I think I already read Realm of Kings but maybe not.

Thanks for the recommendations either way.

Boogiepop

Holy crap. Read the first Horrorist issue from the end of Hellblazer vol. #2, and in addition to being really interesting in terms of writing... It was straight up beautiful to look at! And apparently the artist is the guy who did V for Vendetta. So I guess maybe I should look into that too? I've honestly ignored it since, despite what I believe is the popular opinion, I recall thinking the movie was kind of crap when I saw it years back.

For some reason I think I already read Realm of Kings but maybe not.

Thanks for the recommendations either way.

Ah, ok. The usual recommended order is Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kinds, Thanos Imperative.

I am currently reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run. You should give that a shot too, if you haven't already.

Unite with me please brah.

CBTech

Read the first trade of Lazarus and both of the Lil' Gotham trades the other day.

Lazarus is just the kind of story I love. Near future dystopias with some cybernetics and badass characters. The only other work by Rucka I've read was his run on Punisher which I loved. It made me actually like Punisher as a character. I think I'll have to find more comics he has worked on.

I want more comics like Lil' Gotham. It was funny and cute. I had to look up several characters while I was reading it since I wasn't familiar with Abuse or Lady Blackhawk. I know a lot of people miss these characters after the Nu52 reboot, but I'm kinda glad. It seemed like the Gotham cast was getting kind of bloated. Anyway, It would be cool if they had a comic like Lil' Gotham for the entire DC Universe.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Low # 5 is pretty damn good. I feel like Remender is finally getting to the point with this book, and it's now forming a cohesive and solid story with some damn thrust.
I don't know that I necessarily like the 4-month time jump, and I think some of the stuff associated with it is a bit sloppy, but whatever. Like Stel was just shackled up Sarah Conner style for four months and every damn day that possibly Scottish tentacled goon came to her asking the same damn question, getting no response, and leaving?

Is there a release schedule somewhere that shows what comes out each week for all publishers?

I use ComicList.com

and for my phone I use Comic Shopper (Android)

-

Hit: 1955 TPB Vol. #1 comes out this Wednesday.
This was a great 4 issue mini series. Reminds of a Brubaker / Phillips book.
I may double dip on this one.

"WHY WE LOVE IT: You say your crime noir story is based on a group of hard-boiled policemen during 1950s Los Angeles that did a little wetwork under the table, ridding the city of its scummiest residents one lowlife at a time? And it features the art debut of Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer nominee Vanesa R. Del Rey? Oh, we’re so there.
"WHAT IT’S ABOUT: They say the eyes are the window to the soul. You look at Harvey Slater and you’ll see a homicide detective chasing cigarettes with a few fingers of bourbon. You look into his eyes, and you’ll see a hitman who spends his nights making “untouchable” criminals disappear for the Los Angeles Police Department. But all it takes is a blonde bombshell from his past and a crime syndicate trying to muscle in while Mickey Cohen’s in prison to open Slater’s eyes to who he really is. Collects the complete four-issue limited series, features the never-before-seen short story, “Bonnie,” and includes an introduction by author Duane Swierczynski."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom