• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I have too much to read already, that's my excuse. And Dragon Age isn't helping matters. I finished it.... Then started a new character! AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Haha. All right, fine. I'm in the same situation, so I can't argue.

Also, how is the new Dragon Age compared to Origins? It's is the only RPG I've ever played and I absolutely loved it. I spent more time playing DA:O than any other singleplayer game ever.

Also, how is the new Dragon Age compared to Origins? It's is the only RPG I've ever played and I absolutely loved it. I spent more time playing DA:O than any other singleplayer game ever.

You should play Witcher 2. One of the games of the last generation for me. And Witcher 1+2 are on sale for $5 for both. (gog.com).

Kipp

You should play Witcher 2. One of the games of the last generation for me. And Witcher 1+2 are on sale for $5 for both. (gog.com).

I played an hour or so of The Witcher 1 and it didn't do anything for me. I know the second one is supposed to be a massive improvement, but it still took away my desire to play it. Maybe I'll pick it up during the winter sale or something though.
My main issue is that I haven't been playing any games at all besides fighting games for the past year. Just no desire to. Comics kind of filled the space that video games inhabited (and I was never hugely into video games in the first place).
Speaking of fighting games, does anyone here play Lethal League? It's so fun. Not technically a fighting game, but it's the same sort of idea.
But anyways, thanks for the recommendation!

If you liked Origins, you'll like this. They pretty much ditched all the bad shit about Dragon Age 2. The only complaint I have about the game is that I wish there were more story quests and fewer "Ubisoft quests." That is, sidequests that don't have any real story behind them aside from go here, find/kill/etc. this, bring it back. Except, most of them don't even require you to return to the quest-giver. The quest guide will just say "Quest Completed" and that's that.

Kipp

If you liked Origins, you'll like this. They pretty much ditched all the bad shit about Dragon Age 2. The only complaint I have about the game is that I wish there were more story quests and fewer "Ubisoft quests." That is, sidequests that don't have any real story behind them aside from go here, find/kill/etc. this, bring it back. Except, most of them don't even require you to return to the quest-giver. The quest guide will just say "Quest Completed" and that's that.

The quest thing is lame, but I'm glad to hear they ditched the bad DA2 stuff! That's what I was most worried about.

The quest thing is lame, but I'm glad to hear they ditched the bad DA2 stuff! That's what I was most worried about.

Well, the way it works is that sidequests (of which there are like, a billion of) are simply a vehicle to build up "Power", which are points you earn and then spend to initiate the main story quests.

Alright I think this rounds out most of the remainder of my Black Friday IST buying spree

Sorry for the set of pics, but anyone else i know wouldn't appreciate the acquisitions. Some i've read and quite a few are ones i've been putting off picking up for some time.

vNF6VX3.jpg
ayC7wml.jpg
Rb7Z41l.jpg
eAsSQUT.jpg

So yea it runs the gambit of Marvel (Classic thunderbolts, Hawkguy,etc), DC (lots of fringe collections), Dark Horse (Major Bummer, Big Guy & Rusty), Indies (Swear to god! I had no idea this great series was back, iZombie, Final Scalped/Invisibles, etc), and the rest of the Kirby Omnibuses!!!!

At some point i'll dive into the great True Story Swear to god books. I bought previous trades years ago and they're amazing slice of life books. Its about the writer/artist telling the tale of how he met his wife. It covers them meeting in Disneyworld but he lives in california and she from Puerto Rico. Very charming, very well done. I was happy to see he came back to the series after an apparent medical issue that prevented him from being able to draw.

Alright I think this rounds out most of the remainder of my Black Friday IST buying spree

Sorry for the set of pics, but anyone else i know wouldn't appreciate the acquisitions. Some i've read and quite a few are ones i've been putting off picking up for some time.

So yea it runs the gambit of Marvel (Classic thunderbolts, Hawkguy,etc), DC (lots of fringe collections), Dark Horse (Major Bummer, Big Guy & Rusty), Indies (Swear to god! I had no idea this great series was back, iZombie, Final Scalped/Invisibles, etc), and the rest of the Kirby Omnibuses!!!!

At some point i'll dive into the great True Story Swear to god books. I bought previous trades years ago and they're amazing slice of life books. Its about the writer/artist telling the tale of how he met his wife. It covers them meeting in Disneyworld but he lives in california and she from Puerto Rico. Very charming, very well done. I was happy to see he came back to the series after an apparent medical issue that prevented him from being able to draw.

Do keep posting them, I like looking at the "latest haul" and "shelfie" pics. I am waiting for the rest of my BF haul to come in. I bought the Lone Wolf and Cub omnis as well (vol 2, 3, 4). Hopefully they will get here some time this week.

Good job getting The Red Star hardcover. :D

yea i own the floppies from way back when, but decided to recollect them in the HC. The Red Star series starts well, but loses steam in some of the later issues

Also some of those in the collection i know very little about but looked intriguing (ie: Squadran Supreme, Cosmic Odyssey, etc). And thats the first Judge Dredd book i've bought outside the Batman/Dredd crossover

Zombine

Banned
yea i own the floppies from way back when, but decided to recollect them in the HC. The Red Star series starts well, but loses steam in some of the later issues

I'm glad you got iZombie!

Edit: I can only image how much page loss there is with Lone Wolf & Cub.

Kipp

Well, the way it works is that sidequests (of which there are like, a billion of) are simply a vehicle to build up "Power", which are points you earn and then spend to initiate the main story quests.

Ah, gotcha. That sounds a little tedious, but oh well.

Gketter, you are seriously nuts. Single-handedly keeping the comics industry alive. Good man.
Anyways, tons of amazing pickups there! That giant stack of Kirby omnibuses is an awesome thing to see. I really ought to pick up at least one of those someday. I need to own some Kirby...
And I had never heard of True Story, Swear to God! I'll definitely add that to my wishlist. That seems like something I'd really enjoy.

Very nice!

Thanks for posting these, I've been wanting to see a comparison pic for that Mobile Suit Gundam collections. You got a lot of great reading to do.

You all are crazy. Smash Bros is the biggest game ever since it came out. #settleitinSMASH
Nah dude, Bayonetta 2 and Guilty Gear Xrd are where it's at. Xrd's been destroying my productivity ever since I downloaded it off of HK PSN, I haven't read anything since then lol

Kipp

Ugh. Gketter getting me tempted to buy books again. I kinda want to buy a couple Kirby books on B&N with the B2G1 AND the 25% off coupon that's good today only. The main thing causing me to hesitate is the fact that most of the good Kirby omnibuses are OOS. Though they do have the OMAC and Challengers of the Unknown HCs. Then I threw in the Moench/Jones Batman HC as a hypothetical third item. My total is $51.06... Tempting.

Ah, gotcha. That sounds a little tedious, but oh well.

Gketter, you are seriously nuts. Single-handedly keeping the comics industry alive. Good man.
Anyways, tons of amazing pickups there! That giant stack of Kirby omnibuses is an awesome thing to see. I really ought to pick up at least one of those someday. I need to own some Kirby...
And I had never heard of True Story, Swear to God! I'll definitely add that to my wishlist. That seems like something I'd really enjoy.

Hey somebody has to save it from you and your anti-life equation

Here's some random excerpts from True Story. I tried to cover mostly early story stuff or non spoilery things. But over the course of the book it covers how they meet, struggles of long distance relationships, and much more serious stuff. But it does it in such a charming and amazing way.

11-01-2007%2011;59;52AM.JPG

Beland5Small.jpg

Beland3Small.jpg

1266600230.jpg

tim1138

Ugh. Gketter getting me tempted to buy books again. I kinda want to buy a couple Kirby books on B&N with the B2G1 AND the 25% off coupon that's good today only. The main thing causing me to hesitate is the fact that most of the good Kirby omnibuses are OOS. Though they do have the OMAC and Challengers of the Unknown HCs. Then I threw in the Moench/Jones Batman HC as a hypothetical third item. My total is $51.06... Tempting.

Are you implying OMAC and Challengers of the Unknown are bad?!

They're out of stock of The Demon? Dammit.

Parch

Nice haul gk. Interesting variety.

I finally got to read Death of Wolverine. Not bad. Feels like they could have stretched out the death a little more than 4 issues instead of getting right into the eulogy issues. Life After Logan made me have feels. Didn't think much of Logan Legacy 1 so I'm gonna pass on that series, but The Weapon X Program is interesting so I'll stick with that.
I was really enjoying Savage Wolverine so I hope they pick up that again.

Kipp

Hey somebody has to save it from you and your anti-life equation

Here's some random excerpts from True Story. I tried to cover mostly early story stuff or non spoilery things. But over the course of the book it covers how they meet, struggles of long distance relationships, and much more serious stuff. But it does it in such a charming and amazing way.

That seems really great! Thanks for sharing.
I can't believe that giant archives volume is only $11 on IST. I'll definitely try to pick that up soon.

Are you implying OMAC and Challengers of the Unknown are bad?!

Nope! Hence the "most" and "though." I wouldn't be considering buying them if I thought they were bad. :p
Also, how is The Losers? It doesn't seem as popular as most Kirby stuff, but it seems really cool to me.
I have another hypothetical B&N order with OMAC, CotU, and The Losers for $49.

They're out of stock of The Demon? Dammit.

Yeah, I was really bummed that that went OOP recently too. That was the Kirby omnibus I wanted most, but hadn't gotten around to buying it yet.
I really wish DC would just reprint all the Kirby stuff already... How can you not have Kirby's greatest works in print?

Wonder Woman - Down to Earth. What a brilliant first issue. You get a very good idea about who and what Wonder Woman is and you don't even see her till page 21 of 22. I wonder what the reception to the issue was when it was first released.

tim1138

That seems really great! Thanks for sharing.
I can't believe that giant archives volume is only $11 on IST. I'll definitely try to pick that up soon.

Nope! Hence the "most" and "though." I wouldn't be considering buying them if I thought they were bad. :p
Also, how is The Losers? It doesn't seem as popular as most Kirby stuff, but it seems really cool to me.
I have another hypothetical B&N order with OMAC, CotU, and The Losers for $49.

Yeah, I was really bummed that that went OOP recently too. That was the Kirby omnibus I wanted most, but hadn't gotten around to buying it yet.
I really wish DC would just reprint all the Kirby stuff already... How can you not have Kirby's greatest works in print?

Eh, it's good but not my favorite thing in the world by him. Personally I would swap the Losers for Devil Dinosaur if they have it.

Kipp

Eh, it's good but not my favorite thing in the world by him. Personally I would swap the Losers for Devil Dinosaur if they have it.

Good to know. I'll probably just pass on the whole order for now though, since I already have plenty of comics to read and really ought to keep saving my money...

Slice of life AND love story? OMGHHHHNNNNGGG Alright, you sold me. Are those two books all of it, or is there more?

And since I'm spending money anyway, let's buy Promethea too.

AFTER.

SIX.

YEARS.

Oh man, so cool. What is this exactly? Statue? Figures? Build-a-Bear for comic fans?

That is amazing!

Oh man, so cool. What is this exactly? Statue? Figures? Build-a-Bear for comic fans?
Statue. More specifically, one part of a "Build-A-Scene" statue series based on a Justice League of America cover by Ed Benes. There were three parts, each featuring two heroes and including part of a seventh statue (Red Tornado). Display them separately, or put them all together to complete the image from the cover.

TKWjygQ.jpg

I only cared about one part, though. Unfortunately I had to pass on this statue when it came out back in 2008 due to lack of $$$ and regretted it ever since. And now, six years and several failed attempts at bidding later, it now sits in front of me and my bank account is perhaps lighter than it should be.

Statue. More specifically, one part of a "Build-A-Scene" statue series based on a Justice League of America cover by Ed Benes. There were three parts, each featuring two heroes and including part of a seventh statue (Red Tornado). Display them separately, or put them all together to complete the image from the cover.

TKWjygQ.jpg

I only cared about one part, though. Unfortunately I had to pass on this statue when it came out back in 2008 due to lack of $$$ and regretted it ever since. And now, six years and several failed attempts at bidding later, it now sits in front of me and my bank account is perhaps lighter than it should be.

Merry Christmas!

Slice of life AND love story? OMGHHHHNNNNGGG Alright, you sold me. Are those two books all of it, or is there more?

And since I'm spending money anyway, let's buy Promethea too.

It's all I could find. Honestly I had no idea it continued in 2010 until I started browsing IST. Let's get another book queued up for our comic book reading club!

I really love how he draws MJ

Edit: dammit I'm now pissed off again at the ruining of the spidey marriage. Please fix this marvel with whatever shenanigins you're doing next year.

Cheska

gketter officially taking the crown from our heads as biggest spender :D

Boogiepop

Barring me reading this sentence wrong and you just don't like RPGs... this is just crazy to me. I've played sooooooo many JRPGs. And I still have a ton of series I want to dig into that I have yet to even touch!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded in regards to V for Vendetta, I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future! Now to finish off The Horrorist and with it volume 2 of Hellblazer!

J10

Banned
Can anyone recommend any supernatural/paranormal Batman stories where he's like a vampire or literal half-bat/half-man monster or anything like that?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can anyone recommend any supernatural/paranormal Batman stories where he's like a vampire or literal half-bat/half-man monster or anything like that?

Tales of the Multiverse: Batman Vampire

includes

Batman/Dracula: Red Rain
Bloodstorm
Chrimson Mist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom