• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be negative over here, but there's a distinct lack of glitter and pizzazz in this preview.

EDIT: Yo, how did you guys feel about Gotham By Midnight?

I liked it but my opinion is shit around here so take that with a grain of salt. It set out what it was meant to do, cool horror/supernatural vibe in the world of Batman.

Changing gears, finally Yorick, finally! Book 3 starts off with a bang!

Yo, what the fuck is up with the Barbara this new team is writing. She is weirdly hyper violent. Straight attacking people for the dumbest stuff like shit talking her. This latest preview has her attacking someone for dressing up like her? Lol?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I liked it but my opinion is shit around here so take that with a grain of salt. It set out what it was meant to do, cool horror/supernatural vibe in the world of Batman.

Changing gears, finally Yorick, finally! Book 3 starts off with a bang!

I like the vibe and the art, but there was something stilted about Fawkes' writing here. Like, there's an abrupt segue (can't think of it off-hand) between two different settings that was jarring as hell. I would love a supernaturally focused Wire via Gotham comic, and I think Fawkes is looking to do something cool here, but I hope he can fix the awkwardness in the writing.

Ah, ok. The usual recommended order is Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kinds, Thanos Imperative.

I am currently reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run. You should give that a shot too, if you haven't already.

Got it mixed up and I read annihilation and conquest but not realm of kings. I will add it in.

Never really been a fan of Fantastic Four but I figure if I like Waid's run then I will go ahead and dive into Hickman's.

frye

Real preview everyone should read is flash Gordon ..

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24961

Rip in peace, this incarnation of Flash Gordon.
gonna unload some random floppies and trades. Let me know if any of yous are interested. I'm looking in the $10-20 range for a lot of the stuff, and that's with shipping so if ya order multiple things, i can discount (in fact, that'd probably be better for everyone the more you order). I don't know how much shipping is outside the US, though, so that could be an issue? Message me!

Justice League United #0-4
Justice League (Johns/Lee, et al) #1-9
Detective Comics #30-34 (Manapul/Booch)
Secret Avengers #21.1 - 28 (Remender, Zircher, Hardman, Guedes)
I, Vampire (N52) #2-10 (incl. Justice League Dark 7-8 crossover issues) [I have a New 52: The Dark one-shot that has the first issues of I, Vamp, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and JLD if ya wanna add make one order of all the Dark stuff]
Animal Man (N52) #2-12, Annual #1, #0
X-O Manowar (2012 relaunch) #1-10
Saga #1-7
Talon #0-5
New Avengers (Heroic Age) Vol 1 (TP, Bendis/Immonen) & Vol 2 (HC) (Bendis/Deodato)
House of M (TP)
X-Men: Messiah Complex (TP)
Swamp Thing: Vol 1 Raise Them Bones (TP, Snyder/Paquette)
Villains United (Simone/Eaglesham)
Harbinger vol. 1 (TP, 2012 Valiant)
Antman & Wasp (TP, Seeley)
New York Four (TP, Wood/Kelly)
Young Justice vol. 2 Training Day (TP, based on the show)
Flashpoint: Batman (TP, includes the Azz/Risso mini)
Batman: Battle of the Cowl (TP, by GAF favorite Tony Daniel)

this is DOPE ima have to commission somethin from you after the holidays

If those are first prints of Saga then those are worth a decent amount fyi

Boogiepop

Holy crap. Read the first Horrorist issue from the end of Hellblazer vol. #2, and in addition to being really interesting in terms of writing... It was straight up beautiful to look at! And apparently the artist is the guy who did V for Vendetta. So I guess maybe I should look into that too? I've honestly ignored it since, despite what I believe is the popular opinion, I recall thinking the movie was kind of crap when I saw it years back.
Guys? Do I want V for Vendetta? Is the art as awesomely jawdropping as it is in The Horrorist?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Holy crap. Read the first Horrorist issue from the end of Hellblazer vol. #2, and in addition to being really interesting in terms of writing... It was straight up beautiful to look at! And apparently the artist is the guy who did V for Vendetta. So I guess maybe I should look into that too? I've honestly ignored it since, despite what I believe is the popular opinion, I recall thinking the movie was kind of crap when I saw it years back.

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to that issue.

I actually just read the "On The Beach" issue of Hellblazer. It was... kind of horrifying and gross and bizarre. I don't think I enjoyed it much. Haha. No big deal though, since all the other issues have been really great. And even still, it wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it. But man was it weird.

Guys? Do I want V for Vendetta? Is the art as awesomely jawdropping as it is in The Horrorist?

I own V for Vendetta but haven't read it yet, but I did read the first 20 pages (then decided I wanted to read something else, not because the book wasn't great, but because I was in one of those incredibly indecisive moods) and was really, really impressed by the art. It's fantastic. I didn't realize until your post that the Horrorist issue was by David Lloyd, so I'm super excited about that now.

...I really ought to read V for Vendetta soon. Especially because I loved the movie.

frye

yeah. Lloyd is really amazing and while there are some issues because of how long it took to complete, V is my favourite Moore and probably the smartest consideration of anarchism I've ever read. Also the only time I've seen a comic try to do a damn solilioquoy and also pull it off

Kipp

From the 20-ish pages I read of V for Vendetta, these panels really stuck in my memory. Especially that third panel, the art is just stunning.

appFMpL.png

Bii

Rip in peace, this incarnation of Flash Gordon.

If those are first prints of Saga then those are worth a decent amount fyi

Man, prices have come down on Saga #1. It's now ending anywhere from $65-$105. Compared that to half a year ago when I was looking at the prices, they were going upwards of $150. Probably because I checked it the month leading up to SDCC.

$65 is enticing, though. I'd probably buy it at that price.

Man, prices have come down on Saga #1. It's now ending anywhere from $65-$105. Compared that to half a year ago when I was looking at the prices, they were going upwards of $150. Probably because I checked it the month leading up to SDCC.

$65 is enticing, though. I'd probably buy it at that price.

I'll still take $60 for something I paid $2.99 for.
I won't. $75 or bust

tim1138

Got my copy of the second JSA omnibus today from IST. DC has really stepped their game up binding wise, I can open it up at random and it will lay flat and skimming through it I saw no gutter loss. Considering it's about 1500 pages, it's actually a bit smaller than I was expecting.

I looked it up before yeah, because of the talent involved. So it's worth it?

Yes, nigga.

And them oversized hardcovers are FUCKIN' HUGE, like damn near Absolute Edition, but at half the price.

Resized_Image_1418078182650.jpg

ignore the shelf order, I put them like that for comparison

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have never read something amazing like the Purple Man 4th wall breaking in Alias.
This is really my book of 2014. Wow, just wow.

Kipp

Yes, nigga.

And them oversized hardcovers are FUCKIN' HUGE, like damn near Absolute Edition, but at half the price.

Resized_Image_1418078182650.jpg

ignore the shelf order, I put them like that for comparison

Ugh. Every time I see Absolute Dark Knight, I get super mad at myself for deciding to pass up on one on Ebay I could've had for $35. I regretted it IMMEDIATELY. And now of course it's going for OOP prices.

Also gotta get that Miller Daredevil omnibus. Such a gorgeous omnibus. I love the design.

Today, I read the first trade of the New 52 Resurrection Man. I found it a lot of fun, although I was annoyed by the fanservice in the form of the Body Doubles. Doesn't look like they'll show up in the rest of the run, though, so whatever.

Kipp

Lol it's actually mine. I just have to sign the papers tomorrow.

Oh! Well congratulations! That sounds amazing.
If you ever wanna hook a ComicsGAF buddy up with a similarly (or even slightly less) amazing job, just let me know. :p

Oh, and speaking of jobs, I decided yesterday that on Christmas Eve, as a Christmas present to myself, I'm gonna turn in my two weeks notice and quit the retail job I've worked for the past four years. I'm so excited. :D
Basically the idea is that I either move to Colorado with my best friend like we're both planning on (but everyone knows how plans go), or if that doesn't work out, I do something new/different/better. So yeah, exciting times ahead. Either that or years of miserable unemployment and my decent chunk of savings wasting away.

Zombine

Banned
Oh! Well congratulations! That sounds amazing.
If you ever wanna hook a ComicsGAF buddy up with a similarly (or even slightly less) amazing job, just let me know. :p

I'm going to start a property management venture with a few people so it's a possibility I'll need agents!

Vibranium

Banned
I absolutely love Velvet and consider it one of the best new books this year. But while it uses more shit and Christ it isn't actually damn it free.
(Spoiler Alert)
These two are both from the same issue.

Heh, I know there are damn its still, but hey, it's just expressions after all! And there's absolutely no doubt that it is one of the best books on the market and quite possibly my favorite this year. And yet Brubaker and Epting weren't nominated for an Eisner...grumble...grumble.

"Actually, it's about ethics in comic book journalism."

Kipp

I'm going to start a property management venture with a few people so it's a possibility I'll need agents!

Whoa, nice! Definitely let me know!

In a similar vein, I'm very likely gonna buy a home in the next year and rent it out (and likely be living in it, too, but maybe not). I'm pretty excited. I will be the best landlord.
I've worked out that if I live in a house with two other people, they would essentially be paying off the mortgage and I'd be living there for free while accumulating capital (so I'd effectively be getting paid to live in the house). And all it would cost me is the down payment. It sounds almost too good to be true.

See, this is why being in Community is better. I don't have to add something about comics to the end of this post to legitimize it.
...Although I did just read another issue of Preacher and it's so good.

Yoooo oh my God. If I get this job bros I'll get paid to have summers off. Comics all day every day.

So the work schedule of a teacher but the wealth of a wall street financier. I can only assume that Zombine is an instructor at a well to do private academy for the children of the top 1% elite.

Tendo

So i just got caught up on East of West.

Holy SHIT this is an incredible series. The ending of that issue with
Balloon showing him a destroyed landscape when really it is a field of flowers was awesome. And depressing. Hickman did a great job making the kid sound like a programmed machine but there are still moments where you realize he is just a child. Fantastic.

I need more!

Guess it is time I dive into my backlog of Manhattan Projects... And then to his Avengers run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom