• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished reading the first two trades of Rucka's Wonder Woman and loved them! Have to hunt down the rest.

You are missing the following:

New X-Men
X-Statix
Ultimate Spiderman

7/10 wouldnt date

:(

I'll get around to X-Statix and New X-Men, they are both on Marvel Unlimited.

arkon

Have been fiddling around with my new Galaxy S tab 10.5 and I'm ready for the digital future. The artwork and the colours... it all looks so good on that screen. My word.

Probably will switch to a mixture of digital single issues and hardcover collections.

Cade

That was a problem with the app when Lollipop first launched, but there have been two updates since then and it was fixed in the first one.

Are you sure you're running the most recent version of the app?
Yeah I upgraded and it's fine.

Quit reading astonishing xmen halfway. God, joss whedon's writing is also unbearable in print form too. The characters literally had nothing but witty remarks to say

I'm gonna try my hand at morrison's xmen tho because I really liked his batman stuff. It was bizarre at times and so out there but always enjoyable

Still going through wonder woman by azzarello, jason Aaron's thor God of Thunder and ms marvel by willow. Those are all fantastic at the moment, especially thor's art

Gotham academy is pretty fun too, major harry potter vibes from it all

Messi

The artwork is goddamn phenomenal. I'm in for at least the first arc.

But that will cost more than your trip to your footie game.

I might even buy two. one for my shelf and one for my coffee table.

I am probably in for it on comixology too. would love a digital version.

Pax Americana is the comic of the year. Nothing comes close.

All three of Remender's current Image titles are great but I prefer Deadly Class the most.

fauxtrot

Banned
I just got my copy of Just the Tips. I'm dying over here.

I got mine last week and haven't read all of it yet, but it's been hilarious so far. I could tell by the formatting of the book that it might get a little repetitious if read cover to cover, so I've been taking it in a little bit at a time.

Well worth picking it up if you don't mind spending $12 on something short n' sweet.

Does anybody here read Joshua dysart's stuff? I thought his unknown soldier was pretty damn good. Timing was crazy too since it was prior to that stupid #KONY movement

I hear he's got a new series coming up on valiant soon

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Does anybody here read Joshua dysart's stuff? I thought his unknown soldier was pretty damn good. Timing was crazy too since it was prior to that stupid #KONY movement

We all had an Unknown Soldier/Dysart love-fest earlier this year, homie. It was awesome. what does he have coming up?

fauxtrot

Banned
After moving from an iPad to a Surface Pro 3, the magic of digital comics is dead to me thanks to a terrible, terrible app.

I mostly bought an SP3 for a giant screen to read comics on, but I'm lucky if I can even get comixology to actually download a title. Using the web interface in tablet mode works, but it's still kind of a crap option compared to the iOS app. What have I done?!

Yo, can't you emulate Android on that bad boy? I was under the impression that someone had made Android run within Windows and it made the Surface a much more usable device as a tablet. Let me know what you find out, because that's gonna be the dealbreaker on whether I purchase one (after the inevitable upgrade in a few months).

Bii

Kipp and I tried all the positions in Just the Tips and he didn't even charge me! Dude is frugal and has bad business sense.

Not sure what's mentioned in Just the Tips but did you guys try an Alabama Hot Pocket? How about a Rusty Trombone while doing The Moose? Charizarding? Strawberry Shortcake? Amish Plow? Glass Bottom Boat? Simba followed by a Sneaky Rafiki!?

Oh good lord.

http://comicsbeat.com/don-rosas-life-and-time-of-scrooge-mcduck-gets-artists-edition-from-idw/

jWaBeMp.jpg

Isak_Borg

After moving from an iPad to a Surface Pro 3, the magic of digital comics is dead to me thanks to a terrible, terrible app.

I mostly bought an SP3 for a giant screen to read comics on, but I'm lucky if I can even get comixology to actually download a title. Using the web interface in tablet mode works, but it's still kind of a crap option compared to the iOS app. What have I done?!

I would love to talk about it but ain't gonna talk about it.

It's a problem that is known but it's kind of like Starcraft only so many resources.

Edit: Had a meeting today with some folks and tried to champion something that would make you guys happy and I failed.

Lesson learned and next time I'll be better prepared.

Finished reading the first two trades of Rucka's Wonder Woman and loved them! Have to hunt down the rest.

Yes! Another fan of the best WW run ever. Finish it out, its a great ride (though Rucka kind of left without a true proper ending)

Boom. Finished Preacher.
What a series. Such an incredible book. Really satisfying ending, too.

So yeah, I'm down for starting Strangers in Paradise now if you all are!

Alright so who's all in the Book club and we should set up dates and issues to read to so we can then discuss the story

He did Harbinger for Valiant too which was okay. Had a really good start though

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Will Kipp give lap dances?

Why do you think I spend so much time reading comics in the official omnibus reading position? It's all for practice, baby.
You can be my omnibus ;)

We all had an Unknown Soldier/Dysart love-fest earlier this year, homie. It was awesome. what does he have coming up?

Can confirm said love-fest. Dysart is amazing. Unknown Soldier is incredible stuff.

Kipp and I tried all the positions in Just the Tips and he didn't even charge me! Dude is frugal and has bad business sense.

Hahaha
Man, I was just hoping to get myself a loyal customer with a little free sample. You'll be back, then try and tell me I've got bad business sense!

Alright so who's all in the Book club and we should set up dates and issues to read to so we can then discuss the story

We've got Cheska, Messi, Freeza, and at least two other people whose names I'm forgetting.

I hadn't noticed this in the background before, this is brilliant! The Dalek just makes it that much funnier. (Though it doesn't apply anymore I guess). And before this year, I wouldn't have noticed Caulder either.

Kipp

Where is my invite?

Get in on this!

We talking SiP? I'm ready when y'all are...

Oh yeah! Not sure how I forgot you.

So do we wanna stick to like a 2 or 3 issues per day sort of thing so we can all stick together? Or do we wanna all just tear through it at our own pace and hope that we're all generally in the same spot?
As a slow reader, I'd probably prefer deciding on a certain amount of issues per day so that I don't end up way behind everyone else, but on the other hand, the idea of limiting the amount of issues I can read might be annoying sometimes, since if I'm really digging it one day I want to be able to keep enjoying it.
Thoughts?

fauxtrot

Banned
So do we wanna stick to like a 2 or 3 issues per day sort of thing so we can all stick together? Or do we wanna all just tear through it at our own pace and hope that we're all generally in the same spot?
As a slow reader, I'd probably prefer deciding on a certain amount of issues per day so that I don't end up way behind everyone else, but on the other hand, the idea of limiting the amount of issues I can read might be annoying sometimes, since if I'm really digging it one day I want to be able to keep enjoying it.
Thoughts?

I like the idea of talking about 2-3 issues at a time, per day... that way if people want to read ahead, they're welcome to but they'll just have to wait to talk about those issues. If someone's that fast of a reader, it shouldn't be too tough to go do a quick recap to remember what issues we'll be talking about that day... but whatever works for y'all works for me.

Kipp

I like the idea of talking about 2-3 issues at a time, per day... that way if people want to read ahead, they're welcome to but they'll just have to wait to talk about those issues. If someone's that fast of a reader, it shouldn't be too tough to go do a quick recap to remember what issues we'll be talking about that day... but whatever works for y'all works for me.

Sounds perfect.
Now we just need to decide whether 2 issues or 3 issues is good. Haha
I have no preference, so it's up to you all.

There is no pm.

The PM is a LIE.

Uuhh. I got the PM though?

Cheska

Thoughts?

Heck yes, I like this idea the best! Anyone is more than welcome to join, I believe SpiderJerusalem was talking about digging old copies out.

Kipp

Heck yes, I like this idea the best! Anyone is more than welcome to join, I believe SpiderJerusalem was talking about digging old copies out.

Oh yeah! Forgot about him too! Are there like 10 people who are gonna be reading this? This is awesome.

I wanna be on the cool kids club, guys.

Buy Strangers in Paradise and join us!

Are we going to make a new thread for our SiP book club or will we just post in here?

I was originally up for keeping it in here, but if we really do have like 10 people, it might be better to just make a new thread. I can make the thread if you want. Or if someone else wants to, that's good too.

But does anyone have an opinion on 2 issues a day or 3 issues a day?

And we're all good for starting tomorrow, right?

Vyer

UGH!

Having gone from a Nexus 7 to an iPad mini, I kind of miss the Android app.

It's a lot easier to download new releases and navigate your library, especially when you own as many books as I do.

thanks to Amazon fucking up a good thing

Got some bad advice, apparently. :p

What about the standalone DC, Marvel and Image apps? Are those available on the SP3? If so that might be an option.

fauxtrot

Banned
I was originally up for keeping it in here, but if we really do have like 10 people, it might be better to just make a new thread. I can make the thread if you want. Or if someone else wants to, that's good too.

But does anyone have an opinion on 2 issues a day or 3 issues a day?

And we're all good for starting tomorrow, right?

I'm a slow reader, so 2 issues per day would probably be easier on me, but 3 issues per day means we'll finish in just over 30 days, so that's probably a better plan. I think it'd be cool to have the new thread be something like "ComicsGAF Book Club | (#1 or a date range?) | Strangers in Paradise" so maybe towards the end we'll pick another book and those that didn't participate that time might see the thread and want to do so in the future... just a thought.

Either way, I'm ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom