• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

Southern Bastards was really good again.

But holy shit are there a lot of bastards in this book.
Pretty much every character in the issue apart from Young Boss and Big, was an asshole or an outright psycho.

Zombine

Banned
HOLY SHIT YES!

Sorry I've been kind of MIA guys, working and trying to stay dry from this crazy Bay Area storm. I'm home now so hopefully I can catch up on some comics while filling my tummy full of yummy enchiladas.

I was legit thinking that you got eaten by some farm animal at the vet or something.

You did a good thing. One of the best books out there. I'm really looking forward to the deluxe editions.

I don't know if I could wait that long for them to roll out. I bet they'll take forever to finish those up.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't know if I could wait that long for them to roll out. I bet they'll take forever to finish those up.

Yeah, in the past the deluxe editions of Vertigo series have come out one every six months. So it'll be a while.

Kipp

Oh hey, All New Hawkeye #1 Jeff Lemire variant:

XKb2Yt7.jpg

...Is that young Clint Barton or a new character in the reflection on the left? Flashbacks are one of my favorite things. Especially if it's a kid written by Jeff Lemire. I really hope that's young Clint Barton.
Just that little detail made me way more excited about Lemire writing Hawkeye.

Messi

HOLY SHIT YES!

Sorry I've been kind of MIA guys, working and trying to stay dry from this crazy Bay Area storm. I'm home now so hopefully I can catch up on some comics while filling my tummy full of yummy enchiladas.

Stay safe. You need to stay alive to see Sejic draw Betty.

Can we get a Rat Queens hardcover announcement soon?

fauxtrot

Banned
HOLY SHIT YES!

It's been pretty mild so far here in Sacramento... stay safe and keep those pets indoors! From what I understand, big storms / flooding typically causes an influx of pets getting lost/injured or worse. :(

Kipp

Just read the first issue of Mark Waid's Green Hornet from that Dynamite bundle. That was really good stuff. It reminded me a bit of the Marvel Noir stuff which I really enjoyed.

Stjepan posted his warm ups for Rat Queens /Death Vigil work today. His Dee looks incredible imo. The other one is nowhere near as complete lol

Correct me if I am wrong; But Upchurch will continue to make residuals off of Rat Queens, because he was co-creator, right?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Fully fucking onboard with Bitch Planet. Damn, this book is the shit.

Yep. They can't change that. :/

Seems like more reason to not support the book. I mean, do you really want your money going to a wife beater?

EDIT (Clarification of my thoughts): I had a passing fancy to consider the title again despite my issues with it cause I think there *is* something to it. But I just don't like the idea of my money going to someone like that. I realize there are other people associated with the book who DO deserve to be supported. But I'd almost say cut all ties, start over with something similar but different enough to not have to have monetary ties to Upchurch.

Seems like more reason to not support the book. I mean, do you really want your money going to a wife beater?

EDIT (Clarification of my thoughts): I had a passing fancy to consider the title again despite my issues with it cause I think there *is* something to it. But I just don't like the idea of my money going to someone like that.

Yeah. It makes me uncomfortable. It's a shit situation.

You guys act as if that money isn't going to end up in his [ex]wife's pocket anyway.

My latest dumb comic purchasing: Older, out of print Robotech comics. Current goal: A set of the Love and War 6 issue miniseries.

Edit: I love how good/bad some of these covers are. This Minmay in no way looks like she is 16. God damn, you aged girl.

This is what happens when your hobbies bleed into each other. Primer all over my hands and lower arms from readying my little plastic mecha for painting. Sorry Freeza, transformable fighters are superior waifus.

EDIT (Clarification of my thoughts): I had a passing fancy to consider the title again despite my issues with it cause I think there *is* something to it. But I just don't like the idea of my money going to someone like that. I realize there are other people associated with the book who DO deserve to be supported. But I'd almost say cut all ties, start over with something similar but different enough to not have to have monetary ties to Upchurch.

Nah i see what you mean. It all comes down to how important you feel the book is for comics, which is a defense i've seen pop up. I'm not gonna dictate how others should buy it tho

Parch

Just read the first issue of Mark Waid's Green Hornet from that Dynamite bundle. That was really good stuff. It reminded me a bit of the Marvel Noir stuff which I really enjoyed.
Dynamite has a bunch of kinda noir titles. I've been hoping to find some cheap Green Hornet and The Shadow. I'm curious about Miss Fury, The Spider, Black Bat, and Uncanny as well. Dynamite has some interesting stuff.

My latest dumb comic purchasing: Older, out of print Robotech comics. Current goal: A set of the Love and War 6 issue miniseries.

This is what happens when your hobbies bleed into each other. Primer all over my hands and lower arms from readying my little plastic mecha for painting. Sorry Freeza, transformable fighters are superior waifus.
My latest dumb order arrived. The first image cyber force trade! With a shiny foil cover. Cyber force and the early image comics were the first comics I bought (besides nightfall comics) so they have a special nostalgia spot even if they weren't good comics. I reread that first cyber force issue so many times. Haha

My latest dumb order arrived. The first image cyber force trade! With a shiny foil cover. Cyber force and the early image comics were the first comics I bought (besides nightfall comics) so they have a special nostalgia spot even if they weren't good comics. I reread that first cyber force issue so many times. Haha

I just looked that up. Holy shit, that is an amazing roster of people with EXTREME names.

Messi

Received my copy of Revival Vol 2 today. Image continue to have top class hardcovers. They feel so good. Nice to see Chew/Revival is included too.

I just looked that up. Holy shit, that is an amazing roster of people with EXTREME names.
Indeed. Look at this bad Boy!

yZF0bGH.jpg

Man my early comic book purchases had a lot of bad books. I've grown a lot from there and the Internet was a big help. I had a better voice than wizard magazine telling me what was good stuff. And if someone praises stuff on message boards I'm such a fiction junkie I have to have it and try it out.

What's a good spider woman story? The maleev art for the bendis run caught my eye but I can't find anyone who thought the story was any good(it is bendis after all) so I'm hesitant

Im reading through whatever is on unlimited so that's my options

I am loving superior foes of spiderman though, that's my #1 read right now.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Small haul today, but damn, Bitch Planet --> Sex Criminals --> Southern Bastards is just making this week dominant. I'm really impressed with the amount of backmatter (mostly in BP and SC). Spending an extra 15-20 to read and digest some great essays/letters/general meta-material really makes me happy picking up floppies and supporting these stories and being generally un-KIPP-like.

Sorry Freeza, transformable fighters are superior waifus.
8SV6Ukw.gif

Small haul today, but damn, Bitch Planet --> Sex Criminals --> Southern Bastards is just making this week dominant. I'm really impressed with the amount of backmatter (mostly in BP and SC). Spending an extra 15-20 to read and digest some great essays/letters/general meta-material really makes me happy picking up floppies and supporting these stories and being generally un-KIPP-like.

I think I liked Sex Criminals just a bit more than Bitch Planet, but the essay in the back of the latter was a great read. Image is killing it, tho.

Tizoc

I missed out on Southern B. #5...dang gotta catch up.

The Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch retcon is all kinds of ridiculous and hilarious.

Whatever Mahvel, 10-20 years from now someone will retcon that retcon :V

fauxtrot

Banned

I feel really bad for those that got Rat Queens tattoos (yes, that's a thing), especially for those that may have had experienced domestic abuse and now have Roc's art permanently on their bodies. :(

MG310

I missed out on Southern B. #5...dang gotta catch up.

The Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch retcon is all kinds of ridiculous and hilarious.

Whatever Mahvel, 10-20 years from now someone will retcon that retcon :V

In the meantime Polaris finally gets to be number 1.

Went to local comic shop to buy some new comics and trades and left with Magic cards, card protectors, 20-sided die, and only one comic, which was the new Amazing Spider-Man.

How do they do that?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Okay I need your help comic-gaf, I saw a panel with Harley Quinn and someone else I can't recall, but I can't find the post, but it made me want to check out the issue. In the panel Harley is sitting down against the wall and talking about the relationship she had with Joker shortly after a scuffle/fight where she charged at the person.. I think it was someone from the Bat family, but my memory is shit right about now.

Just to be clear it is not from these panels/issues:

Tizoc

Okay I need your help comic-gaf, I saw a panel with Harley Quinn and someone else I can't recall, but I can't find the post, but it made me want to check out the issue. In the panel Harley is sitting down against the wall and talking about the relationship she had with Joker shortly after a scuffle/fight where she charged at the person.. I think it was someone from the Bat family, but my memory is shit right about now.

Just to be clear it is not from these panels/issues:

2nd one is def. from the Injustice comics.

What Jonah Hex HC / TPB should I order?
I'm not sure what one to start on. I see there's a few OGN.

The best thing about Jonah Hex is that his character is hardly affected by the Nu 52.
Just start with Palmioti's pre-Nu52 run

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401210953/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then move onto the recent All-Star Western series
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401237096/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kipp

Zombine

Banned
Completely uninspired to go to work ever since I put in my notice that I'm moving on as of January 1st. Taking yesterday off was amazing.

Why were you disappointed in Animated Bats? I thought the figure came out pretty good.

Apparently the joints are incredibly fucked up, and the plastic breaks easier than Sam Jackson in Unbreakable.

Kipp

Completely uninspired to go to work ever since I put in my notice that I'm moving on as of January 1st. Taking yesterday off was amazing.

Wait, you're moving out of NYC?
Edit: I'm dumb. Totally skimmed past the "on" in "moving on."

Are we talking about just dvd's or are we including Blu Ray as well? Streaming blows, and the compression will never beat disc based media in regards to fidelity. The only media I have found where digital is the clear winner is with comics.

Pretty much this. Working in animation/vfx and always having to see the tiniest detail and some times making sure shit is moving right on the pixel level, the compression level on streaming media drives me nuts. Was the case with some DVD releases as well. I remember the compression on one of the Harry Potter DVDs was horrendous. Like you could see the large macro blocking in the opening sequence or at least I could, and it drove me nuts.

Little shit like that stands out to me though, back when CRT monitors were still the norm, every where I worked had the big Sony CRTs where the weren't flat as in thin, but the screen its self was flat instead of bowed like most CRTs. One of the things Sony did to make this work right was they actually had these thin wires running across the screen at 1/3s down from the top and 1/3s up from the bottom. I think it was to hold some grid in place or some shit. Anywhere they cast a 1 pixel high shadow across the screen from left to right. Most people never saw it or noticed it. It just stood out as 2 giant sore thumbs to me.

Apparently the joints are incredibly fucked up, and the plastic breaks easier than Sam Jackson in Unbreakable.

Huh did not know that, When I got mine I pretty much left him in his default pose and just stood him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom