• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

actually laughed out loud when I opened that and the Quinones cover popped up

I feel like that Purple Rain Batgirl is old but idk

Did we know Cullen Bunn is taking over Moon Knight? Because he is.

The Marvel method on these things is to progressively get lower and lower profile creative teams on these books until you end up with, IDK, Daniel Way and Christos Gage doing Astonishing X-Men stories nobody cares about. I'm thinking the next Moon Knight team is Cullen Bunn and some jobber with a spanish sounding name, they got a rolodeck full of them niggas

ib0uQqwjWsTHQl.gif

The Marvel Method™

speaking of MY CLOSE PERSONAL FRIEND CAMERON STEWART, this piece on Batgirl #37 says everything I wanted to in a way better way, so y'all should read that if you've given my dumbass words any sort of look

I mean. What.

This comic book supposedly has a transgender woman, Alysia Yeoh, in Batgirl‘s supporting cast — one of Barbara’s roommates — but she’s rarely been around since the creative team changeover, and doesn’t feature prominently.

Alysia was a side character... Barbara's roommate. The creative team shift happened three issues ago and Alysia has been in at least one of those issues. But the writer of this article is taking them to task for not somehow shoehorning the character into it as a prominent role? Like how? Should Alysia have stalked Barbara and moved into the same city with her and been like, "HAY BARBARA I JUST CAN'T QUIT YOU LETS BE EVERY DAY FRIENDS."

I happen to like the character and even I realize it doesn't make sense.

fauxtrot

Banned
Alysia was a side character... Barbara's roommate. The creative team shift happened three issues ago and Alysia has been in at least one of those issues. But the writer of this article is taking them to task for not somehow shoehorning the character into it as a prominent role? Like how? Should Alysia have stalked Barbara and moved into the same city with her and been like, "HAY BARBARA I JUST CAN'T QUIT YOU LETS BE EVERY DAY FRIENDS."

I happen to like the character and even I realize it doesn't make sense.

Hyperbole and a half, homie. All the author was trying to do is point out that this was two steps back after Gail Simone made a step forward. No one was complaining about Alysia's lessened role by itself, but the author has to bring her up because people could twist things into "but Batigirl is one of the few comics with a trans character, what more do you want?", so she has to at least point out that it was a different creative team that had utilized her and the new team seldomly has.

I do think it's unfair to write off the creators for their ignorance on trans issues... I guarantee you their intentions were good and they'll feel pretty bad about any negative reactions people are having from this issue.

ElNarez

Banned
How is the new Batgirl series, now that three issues are out?

I liked it a whole lot and it was very cute and fun. And I was extremely disappointed in the twist of the latest issue, but my policy on that kind of problematic texts is that once is an honest mistake, while more is a conscious business decision, so I'm probably still gonna read it, because I like cute fun comics, at the end of the day.

What I wanted to put out there is that, no matter what, it's kinda fucked up. And if y'all don't get why, I'm gonna direct you to my girl Betty from Afterlife with Archie.

AYhZQQM.jpg

Holy Didio. Ody-C was an absolute mess of a comic. If I hadn't seen the Wishbone episode covering The Odyssey I wouldn't have a clue what happened. I'm still not sure.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy Didio. Ody-C was an absolute mess of a comic. If I hadn't seen the Wishbone episode covering The Odyssey I wouldn't have a clue what happened. I'm still not sure.

I don't think so at all. I think you're more informed of the bigger picture by knowing the Illiad and Odyssey, but the comic is totally coherent and more out-there shit like the sci-fi elements obviously need time to be expounded upon. And, if reading this makes more people read classics like The Illiad and The Odyssey, then that's an even bigger fucking victory.

JEKKI

repost from pick up thread!!

10843955_335273843346237_730130226_n.jpg

also whaaaat did anybody read that Resurrectionists comic??

it's a Van Lente joint, who does wonderful work on the Archer & Armstrong and Robot Magnus Fighter.

gotta check it out!

I feel like reading some Avengers that has Spidey on its main roster. How is New Avengers (2004-2010)?

Also, I picked up the first TPB of Superior Foes today! Will read it later tonight.

Well, see... The angel there.... that represents "The Batman". And the lizard with the clown makeup is intended to be the Joker. Therefore we can infer that the intention of the piece is to show Batman about to smite the evil that the Joker brings to Gotham.

I'm kidding. :D

fauxtrot

Banned
For any of you NorCal folks, Sacramento's comic convention, Sac-Con, is this Sunday at the Scottish Rite Center, next to Sacramento State University. Some of the guests this time around include Mike Grell, Kelley Jones, and WWE's Lita! Come by the Big Brother Comics booth for a free hug from me... or a handshake if you're creepy.

Gerry Conway writing spidy again

Also, it's been announced that Gerry Conway is returning to "Amazing Spider-Man" -- a title he succeeded Stan Lee on back in 1972 -- in March for a five-part story, running through ".1" issues of the series. What are you looking forward to seeing him back on that character and writing in that world?

Alonso: Well, he's Gerry $%#ing Conway. [Laughs] He wrote tons of stories that I myself grew up reading, then went off and conquered TV as a key player in the creation of "Law & Order," and he's still interested and energized by these characters to come back and tell more stories. It's inspiring. And I'm really impressed by what he's written for us, and I really hope he does more.

Yeah, I don't think I can go back. It was just ugh.... The art was interesting, but the text. THE TEXT.

i guess i can't argue with them if they feel it's transphobic, but that wasn't what i took from it at all.

I didn't get that impression either. While I love the art style, this run seems very [too] heavy on the fabulous.

Peru

I think she's writing better here because it deals with an issue she genuinely cares about. She's not just telling a story.

Her Captain Marvel is great at character building. The stories have been relatively low-key and not really the important part. Although her space adventures have some nice scope to the political comedy.

Havent seen it myself since I had it shipped to my parent's house but apparently the mailman had to use a handcart to bring my IST box to the house, muahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom