• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Thanks for spoiling for me. :p
That's funny that you really disliked The Fear Machine though, since when I was first looking into Hellblazer I distinctly remember someone saying their favorite Hellblazer arc was The Fear Machine. I trust your opinion over some random internet person though, so I'll brace myself for disappointment. Haha
For what it's worth, to bring some of the vague opinion stuff out of the spoiler, there was at least one really good chapter in there, and some other stuff I liked. And at least part of it was me just plain not liking some of the directions it chose to go in/themes it went with. But yeah, not my favorite, but hopefully you end up liking it better than I did!

Also, a little old now but I didn't see it discussed in here yet:
Worlds-Unite-Sticks-and-X-Promo21.jpg

Apparently the new Sonic and Mega Man crossover is also a X and Sonic Boom crossover. (Btw, has the Sonic Boom comic started yet? And if so did it manage to salvage that trainwreck at all?)

Tizoc

For what it's worth, to bring some of the vague opinion stuff out of the spoiler, there was at least one really good chapter in there, and some other stuff I liked. And at least part of it was me just plain not liking some of the directions it chose to go in/themes it went with. But yeah, not my favorite, but hopefully you end up liking it better than I did!

Also, a little old now but I didn't see it discussed in here yet:
Worlds-Unite-Sticks-and-X-Promo21.jpg

Apparently the new Sonic and Mega Man crossover is also a X and Sonic Boom crossover. (Btw, has the Sonic Boom comic started yet? And if so did it manage to salvage that trainwreck at all?)

The Sonic Boom comic is good for kids, and I think they'll appreciate the jokes more the adults/older audience.
Overall it's OK, but I enjoy Sonic Universe more.
I don't know if the Boom comic will be featured in the new crossover though :p
For that matter
sonic_boom_i2y3kmp.png

sonic_boom_knux_learn1rka2.png

Finishing Alias. Was pretty ok until the spider-girl bit. Then it became legit good. Kilgrave making it betterer.

Did any other writer keep using his fourth wall schtick?

Should be able to go back to brubackdevil after this. And yeah, bendis luke cage is...hm... yeah.

Its my one of favorite Spider-Man Story, and I think it would work great as a dark and atmospheric movie.

I just dont see them making one, since the movie audience knows Spidey as a clown and The Last Hunt would maybe be to dark for them.

And New Avengers is ok. It became worser and worser as the time goes one, but the first 4,5 arcs are ok.

Got hands on the first Hawkeye OHC, I think I will read a couple of issues later. Time to become a bro, bros!
Bro! and yeah, Last Hunt is great but I don't see Sony doing it either.

Bendis' New Avengers was really good, but I don't recall enjoying the Major crossover/event stories much.
It does have the BEST Spidey moments/jokes though.
New avengers is pretty great.
And New Avengers is great if you like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones as the main characters and everyone else just shares their voices.
Awesome!

What the? Aren't you supposed to be in Marvel movie GAF?
Eh? I'm an occasional visitor here.

PsychBat!

Banned
...oh.

Not awesome, then.
Bendis-speak/writing gets tedious when you read so much of it all at once. After that, you're pretty much an expert of what you can expect with dialogue and character personalities. At least with his team books. Bendis team books are not impressive, with the current Guardians of the Galaxy run (which he writes) being the worst team book of his.

Though his X-Men are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Can't believe DC cancelled Batman Beyond Universe. Such incredible books and world. Shame we got Tom Taylor shit still going and TV show comics and not this superb digital first series.

Bendis-speak/writing gets tedious when you read so much of it all at once. After that, you're pretty much an expert of what you can expect with dialogue and character personalities. At least with his team books. Bendis team books are not impressive, with the current Guardians of the Galaxy run (which he writes) being the worst team book of his.

I was reading his X-Men books until around the 25th issue or something. Bendis speak is tedious at times, but I'm used to it.

It has great Spiderman moments.
Look just get Vol. 1 and judge it for yourself mate, we got peeps here who drop $60 on floppies every week, what's the harm in 1 book~
Yeah, I might as well.

Tizoc

With X-Mas coming soon, here are my recommendations for comic books you could get for kids:
Dona Rosa Collection (of course)
61luhbLthcL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Megaman series (why aren't you reading this yet?)
GNmp5yI.jpg

Marvel's Power Pack comics featuring GuriHiru as the artist
babyasgard-short.jpg

EDIT: Also Bone and Calvin and Hobbes
tumblr_ngbmx439CQ1qarjnpo1_1280.gif

Agreed. Bendis is great when he's working on more personal stories with smaller casts....like Daredevil......mmmmmm that Daredevil....

No list of kid-friendly comics should be missing Bone. None.

HEROBEAR!!!!
HeroBearReprint_01_preview-main.jpg

Low is the bravest book Remender is currently writing, sans Sixis. I have no clue what happened to Black Science or Deadly Class.

JLD I feel is mostly a mess of a book. It seems like every issue or storyline has the theme flung somewhere or seperates. They just really aren't a team. I just don't feel any tension by them reusing plot points. The "team" is just there.

Messi

Low is the bravest book Remender is currently writing, sans Sixis. I have no clue what happened to Black Science or Deadly Class.

JLD I feel is mostly a mess of a book. It seems like every issue or storyline has the theme flung somewhere or seperates. They just really aren't a team. I just don't feel any tension by them reusing plot points. The "team" is just there.

What do you mean? Both of them are still incredible and some of the most fun books I read each month.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp wanted the price limit to be set at $0. That guy really hates the comic industry.

I still think that the Secret Santa would've worked best if we only gave digital codes, used books, or stuff we stole from our local comic shop.

a 20 dollar limit is fine by me. IST or amazon is the way I would go. We could probably list some trades that we were looking on getting and then whoever is buying the gift could pick one or two and send them that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom