• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but the two issues have been great :(

f92.gif

Didn't pull me in. Ain't gonna read it now that it's canceled.

Tendo

Prophet Reborn and Amelia Cole are both on sale on Comixology and both have caught my eye in the past. What is the word? They worth picking up?

Zombine

Banned
It was a dumb concept. So you weren't getting readers like me on board. I didn't even give it a chance.

"This industry is afraid of me.
I have seen its true gimmick.
The pages are extended gutters and the gutters are full of art
And when the arc is finally over, all the talent will be unemployed.

The accumulated filth of DC's Batbooks and supertrash will foam up about their waists and all the Nocenti's and Duggan's will look up and shout "save us"

And I'll look down and whisper "No.""

-GrandHarrier

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hnnng. Nine days guys, and I'll have stuff to read/discuss again. Been rereading the criminal series this week to get myself back in the groove. The way Bru builds a living breathing world with various location & character touchstones really is masterful, I love the feeling that there are stories between the stories, with places like the undertow pinning them all together.

DONIE! Welcome back, man! It's great to see you again!

I just read the Criminal series a couple months ago for the first time. It really is very compelling. I loved how Brubaker made the series more about the characters than the plot. He basically just used various criminal activities as a backdrop to play out his character dramas and flesh out some great characters.

And just talking about it, I feel really compelled to read a noir comic. Gonna have to look at my shelf and see what will fit the bill.

The actual story in Spider-Verse Team Up was really fun too. Although I haven't seen the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series, is it any good?

It's okay. The pacing is pretty ADD and Spidey is just a liiiittle bit too annoying at times. It has some great episodes though, particularly the Deadpool one.

tim1138

How is Spider-Verse? I've had the hardcover ordered from Amazon for a few months now, at one point they had it listed for like $25.

Whole crap ton of DC books ending in March. So far Infinity Man, Secret Origins, Star Spangled War Stories (what the hell was booK even about), Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardians, Red Lanterns, and Swamp Thing all have their final issues in March.

WHAT.

god damn it now i ain't even gonna bother catching up on the GLU.

man dc wtf

edit: whoops been gone too long sorry for the trip dip

Now I wanna think of book ideas for Nocenti that you'd suck it up and buy.

New Gotham City Sirens?

It'll be like when I was reading grifter and then hawk and dove got cancelled so then leifeld came over to shit on grifter

When I see her book getting cancelled it's all puckered buttholes over here until I see where she goes.

I am about to spend like 600 dollars on statues this weekend. We moved away from our comic shop so we haven't been in like a month and a half and all the orders have been piling up it seems. Sending the wife to do as much damage as possible

tim1138

I totally forgot about that Lemire/Nguyen joint.

DESCENDER #1
STORY: JEFF LEMIRE
ART / COVER: DUSTIN NGUYEN
MARCH 4 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99
One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet.
A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham.
Extra-sized first issue. 30 story pages for

I read AXIS #7 and that was... something. I'm not sure if I even like this book or not anymore. I did like the bit with Deadpool and Apocalypse at least.

E the Shaggy

I know that the Inhumans are essentially being pushed by Marvel so that Marvel Studios can have their own "X-Men" but the problem is the Inhumans are boring. They're horrendously boring on their own.

They work playing off others but watching a story just about the royal family vs Black Bolt's crazy brother doesn't work too well.

Just found out about the cancellation. I'm still baffled why DC would try to launch a character like Klarion with Noccenti who has about as much goodwill as a yeast infection. Shame this brah is dying and infinity Man. The brah drawing Arkham Manor was doing the fuck outta that book. He was changing the game. Just give me my fucking shot DC, just let me pitch you. Change my world and AI will make you money.

Fintan

How is Spider-Verse? I've had the hardcover ordered from Amazon for a few months now, at one point they had it listed for like $25.
I like everything except the villains. I don't mind Morlun but the whole extended family isn't very interesting.

Parch

So the only survivor from the original new-52 "dark" line of comics is Justice League Dark, right?

The hopes that the "dark" and "edge" line of DC comics was going to encourage the big 2 to focus a little less on capes hasn't really happened. It's still about the superheroes.

E the Shaggy

So the only survivor from the original new-52 "dark" line of comics is Justice League Dark, right?

The hopes that the "dark" and "edge" line of DC comics was going to encourage the big 2 to focus a little less on capes hasn't really happened. It's still about the superheroes.

Remember when the New 52 desperately wanted Wildstorm to be a thing again?

We never even got a Justice League vs. Stormwatch brawl. Why they didn't just call it "The Authority" is beyond me.

HOWARD2015001-cov-7364c.jpg

HOWARD THE DUCK #1
CHIP ZDARSKY (w) • JOE QUINONES (A/C)
VARIANT cover by CHIP ZDARSKY
VARIANT cover by PAUL POPE
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
VARIANT COVER BY Sara Pichelli
VARIANT COVER BY Val Mayerik
Movie Variant cover also available
BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
• HOT off the pages of the … the post-credits scene at the … the end of a … popular movie … HOWARD THE DUCK is back! Join him as he takes on the weird cases that only a talking duck can crack as the Marvel Universe’s resident private investigator!
• Let Sex Criminals’ CHIP ZDARSKY (a writer known mostly as an artist) and JOE QUINONES (an artist known mostly as a lover) guide you through his new world as he takes on THE BLACK CAT and MYSTERIOUS FORCES FROM OUTER SPACE!
• WAUGH!

boy I sure hope this is good

Prophet Reborn and Amelia Cole are both on sale on Comixology and both have caught my eye in the past. What is the word? They worth picking up?

Not sure about Amelia Cole, but definitely get on Brandon Graham's Prophet. Shit is bonkers. With it's Euro-comic aesthetic, it's the most forward thinking sci-fi book I've read in awhile. It forgoes all the goofy ass shit that's basically plagued sci-fi since Star Trek (Hey aliens just don't need to look like people in difference coloured face makeup or be quasi-racist stereotypes defined by a single trait). Instead, you get a glimpse at truly alien worlds and cultures. Recommended.

I read the Batgirl issue. Can someone educate me as to why Babs being shocked at the reveal of Dagger as being Transphobia?

I believe the idea is that it isn't PC to be surprised that someone who appears to be or identifies as female as their gender is actually biologically male. Also, because there has been a history of evil transgender characters, it's no longer acceptable for any transgendered character to be evil because it perpetuates that particular stereotype.

That is how I read it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom